PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Thread

J'Pol
11-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Have you ever done something you are proud of ?

It doesn't have to be a big thing, just something that makes you feel better about being you. Something that you did or achieved.

Don't hide you light, let the chaps know.

I gave up smoking about 5 years ago, after having done it for about 20 years. I am really proud of it because it was so hard to do.

Cheese
11-15-2003, 11:29 PM
I went back to college last year (after leaving school 10 years ago) and I am now applying to go to university. It was the hardest thing I've ever done but totally worth it.

MediaSlayer
11-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Sometimes I make care packages for homeless people and keep them in my car so when they come up asking for change I give it to them. Not often, last year I did it around Christmas time. If you live in a big city in the US, it happens alot where they ask for spare change. For intance, when you go to the gas station to get gas. When you get out, they might be waiting to ask you. So I figured if they're gonna ask anyway, sometimes it might be a pleasant surprise to get a small paper bag with food and a bible, ect.... I didn't do it often, only a few times, but the people seemed happy to get something.

sparsely
11-15-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm releasing a VBR mp3 rip of Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider, complete with covers & videos, tonight at 11:00pm.

and that's a good thing. ;)

TheDave
11-15-2003, 11:39 PM
a cup without a handle is a bowl, a handle without a cup is nothing - danny s****

gouranga :)

hobbes
11-15-2003, 11:49 PM
I helped a friend bury a body in his garden.

Um, is there a negative thread -Have you ever done anything your ashamed of? -I think I might need to visit that one as well.

J'Pol
11-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@16 November 2003 - 00:29
I went back to college last year (after leaving school 10 years ago) and I am now applying to go to university.  It was the hardest thing I've ever done but totally worth it.
Feckin Brilliant, well done. I seriously admire your courage.

I am absolutely sure that your next step will work out well for you. The fact that you have taken the steps so far prove that you are the right sort to succeed.

My younger brother left school with 1 higher and a few O Grades. He took an apprenticeship and became a tradesman. After he was married he went back to college to do an access course. From there he did his HND and then his degree.

He passed them all and now has the job he really wanted and is a happy camper.

Good luck mate and well done.

bigboab
11-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@15 November 2003 - 23:49
I helped a friend bury a body in his garden.

Cat, Dog or Hamster?

J'Pol
11-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by MediaSlayer@16 November 2003 - 00:30
Sometimes I make care packages for homeless people and keep them in my car so when they come up asking for change I give it to them. Not often, last year I did it around Christmas time. If you live in a big city in the US, it happens alot where they ask for spare change. For intance, when you go to the gas station to get gas. When you get out, they might be waiting to ask you. So I figured if they're gonna ask anyway, sometimes it might be a pleasant surprise to get a small paper bag with food and a bible, ect.... I didn't do it often, only a few times, but the people seemed happy to get something.
That's a really good idea.

Other people may wish to follow suit. Share a bit of what they have with others who perhaps have not been as fortunate.

TheDave
11-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+15 November 2003 - 23:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 15 November 2003 - 23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MediaSlayer@16 November 2003 - 00:30
Sometimes I make care packages for homeless people and keep them in my car so when they come up asking for change I give it to them.&nbsp; Not often, last year I did it around Christmas time.&nbsp; If you live in a big city in the US, it happens alot where they ask for spare change.&nbsp; For intance, when you go to the gas station to get gas.&nbsp; When you get out, they might be waiting to ask you.&nbsp; So I figured if they&#39;re gonna ask anyway, sometimes it might be a pleasant surprise to get a small paper bag with food and a bible, ect....&nbsp; I didn&#39;t do it often, only a few times, but the people seemed happy to get something.
That&#39;s a really good idea.

Other people may wish to follow suit. Share a bit of what they have with others who perhaps have not been as fortunate. [/b][/quote]
next time someone asks me for a quid, im gonna take them to mcdonalds and feel smug knowing they cant get drugs with my money

J'Pol
11-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by TheDave+16 November 2003 - 00:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheDave @ 16 November 2003 - 00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@15 November 2003 - 23:56
<!--QuoteBegin-MediaSlayer@16 November 2003 - 00:30
Sometimes I make care packages for homeless people and keep them in my car so when they come up asking for change I give it to them. Not often, last year I did it around Christmas time. If you live in a big city in the US, it happens alot where they ask for spare change. For intance, when you go to the gas station to get gas. When you get out, they might be waiting to ask you. So I figured if they&#39;re gonna ask anyway, sometimes it might be a pleasant surprise to get a small paper bag with food and a bible, ect.... I didn&#39;t do it often, only a few times, but the people seemed happy to get something.
That&#39;s a really good idea.

Other people may wish to follow suit. Share a bit of what they have with others who perhaps have not been as fortunate.
next time someone asks me for a quid, im gonna take them to mcdonalds and feel smug knowing they cant get drugs with my money [/b][/quote]
I am not sure if you are serious.

However a friend of mine does not give people money. He goes and buys a bag of chips or whatever and gives it to them.

internet.news
11-16-2003, 12:40 AM
thinking*

at the moment, nothing spectular came in my mind...
...one thing i am glad to have good girlfriend with who
I can share my thoughts openly and who I can trust :)

What Did I did?
One time on a street - it was rainy, and could stop harder when
it is wet on the road - there was a traffic light, and I stopped
but slightly touch the car in fron of me, fortunately nothing happens.
That is good, cause some time before I had small accident, nothing
great, and if this time also something would have happened,
my parents would have to pay higher insurance rates.

So, it was ok, that nothing happened, I was really glad to hear
that everything was ok...

JONNO_CELEBS
11-16-2003, 01:23 AM
A simple positive thought...........

Love is a wonderful thing :wub:

Jonno B)

the_faceman
11-16-2003, 01:26 AM
one of the best things i&#39;ve done for someone they didn&#39;t even know i did it. i&#39;m not even gonna say here, but it made me feel good, knowing i had done something for someone without expecting anything in return from them.

j2k4
11-16-2003, 01:39 AM
There is too much to my story to relate here, so I&#39;ll shorten it to this: ;)

I stood in the way of a mad governor (who just happened to be my bosses&#39; bosses&#39; boss) and helped 550 people keep their jobs 6 years longer than he wanted them to.

I&#39;m poor now, but hey..... :)

J'Pol
11-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@16 November 2003 - 02:39
There is too much to my story to relate here, so I&#39;ll shorten it to this: ;)

I stood in the way of a mad governor (who just happened to be my bosses&#39; bosses&#39; boss) and helped 550 people keep their jobs 6 years longer than he wanted them to.

I would love to applaud your actions and feel that I should.

However given that I do not have the slightest idea what your post means, I can only offer a non-specific "well done that man".

If it meant that 550 people continued to be usefully employed, then you really should be proud of yourself. Particularly if it involved sacrificing your own position.

lynx
11-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by TheDave@15 November 2003 - 23:59
next time someone asks me for a quid, im gonna take them to mcdonalds and feel smug knowing they cant get drugs with my money
I tried that about 10 years ago in Amsterdam. Be prepared to dodge flying fists. :rolleyes:

j2k4
11-16-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+15 November 2003 - 22:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 15 November 2003 - 22:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@16 November 2003 - 02:39

I would love to applaud your actions and feel that I should.

However given that I do not have the slightest idea what your post means, I can only offer a non-specific "well done that man".

If it meant that 550 people continued to be usefully employed, then you really should be proud of yourself. Particularly if it involved sacrificing your own position. [/b][/quote]
The worth of our labor, from a business/revenue point-of-view was beyond debate; we had gross profits of (the last year I had figures for-1994) &#036;598 million.

Of course, it was the Michigan Liquor Control Commission, so the social aspect could have been (and was) debated, but only by those who wanted to take over the business, oddly enough.

Draw your own conclusions as to the worth of our work, which was the distribution of liquor at the wholesale level.

I went down with the ship. :)

sparsely
11-16-2003, 04:55 AM
sharing happy thoughts is one thing, calling attention to what a bright, shining individual you are is just good ol&#39; mental masturbation.

faceman is the only one who seems to get the idea..

one of the best things i&#39;ve done for someone they didn&#39;t even know i did it. i&#39;m not even gonna say here, but it made me feel good, knowing i had done something for someone without expecting anything in return from them.

http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/images/hand6.gif
Do something good, don&#39;t get caught, and keep it to your self.

hobbes
11-16-2003, 05:01 AM
"have you done something you are proud of"

That was the thread.

I am totally evil so I have nothing to say, but I have not come here to piss in someones cereal.

protak
11-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Hobbes, I think Sparsley has been in g-unit for way too long, someone has to petition to get him out before the damage is permanent... :lol:

Yogi
11-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I use to say now: When i would die right now, i did my part.......

Meaning i worked with mentally handicapped people, demented people, psychiatric

patients, terminal patients, bla, bla , bla.

I know i actually improved the quality of live for a lot of people i helped, be it for a

short period and for some the rest of their live.

No need for me to go into details.

There&#39;s nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself for helping others out.

Big hooray to everyone who&#39;s helping others out, without wanting something in

return; just that real nice feeling you made a difference.

calling attention to what a bright, shining individual you are is just good ol&#39; mental masturbation.

I like masturbation. Mentally and physically. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yogi

j2k4
11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Sparsely@16 November 2003 - 00:55
sharing happy thoughts is one thing, calling attention to what a bright, shining individual you are is just good ol&#39; mental masturbation.

faceman is the only one who seems to get the idea..

http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/images/hand6.gif
Do something good, don&#39;t get caught, and keep it to your self.
Hope we didn&#39;t get any on you, Sparsely.

How significant that you have martyred yourself upon our altar of self-congratulation.

That&#39;s it, everybody, pull up your drawers and fold the tent-we&#39;ve been found out.