PDA

View Full Version : Proper Servers' Setup VS Incompletes

Hypatia
01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
There are a number of threads on different forums as well as on this one about the issue of incomplete files on the servers of different NNtP providers.

The nature of these damaged files is usually of 2 origins:

1) DMCA takedown( nowadays it is mostly HBO shows + console games on Highwinds & Giganews servers)

2) Technical glithes (Astraweb is infamous for these ones. At the moment there is a ~180-200 days range affected( files uploaded ~200-400 days ago )

Whatever the cause,upon finding lots of incomplete files one shouldnt switch immediately to another NNTP provider.Every single one of them has its cons and pros and one might just trade bad for worse.

A proper servers' setup will most definitely help to reduce or in most cases eliminate the nasty issue of damaged files.

Proper Servers' Setup For SABnzbd

Assuming you use SABnzbd and Astraweb's main server is EU
This setup will do wonders with any usenet provider.

Server 1: Astraweb EU

-enabled

Server 2: XSusenet (free server (http://www.xsusenet.com/en/))

-enabled
-connections=2
-retention=400
-optional or backup*

Server 3: Astraweb US

-enabled
-optional or backup*

Server 4: Blocknews (100 gb block account $14.69 (http://billing.blocknews.net/signup.php?price_group=-2))

-enabled
-backup server

* SABnzbd cant set preference levels for servers so having xsusenet & AW US and blocknews as backup servers might result in downloading articles first from blocknews sometimes.And we wouldnt want that since xsusenet is free & AW US is unlimited.
This is why i think its better to set xsusenet & AW US as optional servers, not backup with 2 & 2 connections each.But it all depends on sabnzbd behaviour.If setting them up as backup works OK for you then dont make them optional

lanky221
01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks very helpfull.

Beck38
01-25-2012, 04:42 AM
The BIGGEST contributor to the latest (last week+) to 'skips' and such is one uploader that is swamping the usenet 'bucket brigade' with way to fast uploading.

In fact, that uploading is taking place at Astraweb/US, and although the propagation 'out' of there seems to be okay, others (yes, including the vaunted GIGANEWS) is lagging behind in posting articles, across virtually (or, at least that I can check) the entire newsgroup 'universe'.

Of the servers I watch, in addition to GN, Blocknews, Usenet-News, and others, are also being affected; whether there is some peer between them and back to Astraweb/US is a good question, but they are all almost limping along at the moment.

The speed (the throughput) of these postings has me a bit worried; they mostly appear to be full BD images, upwards of 20+ per day when they get going at 'full speed', Right at the moment I'm writing this, GN and the rest are lagging several hours behind updating their systems.

By 'worried' I don't think that anyone who's an actual internet 'user' in the US has, except for a handful of folks, access to bandwidth of this breath.

Hypatia
01-25-2012, 08:04 AM
By 'worried' I don't think that anyone

well i would be more worried if it was just a junk, not real Blurays.then the purpose of this uploading rampage would be clear.

PS is is speed that matters? I mean i looked it up and he posts not that much blurays per day. I could easily do it with my 6MB connection

Broly
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Apparently the Blocknews promo ($9 for 100GB) is over, I get the default $14.69 price no matter which link I use.

Hypatia
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
yep you're right..oh well it is still not that much)

Broly
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM
yep you're right..oh well it is still not that much)

yeah, already got me one, gonna add more when they have another promo running

shakezilla
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
im in the us with a 50mbit connection soon to be 100 when they upgrade my area here..also got a block account thanks. just torn on server now looks like astra though would be best bet for me