PDA

View Full Version : Fans

clocker
11-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Two weeks ago I first posted about my new computer.

I was so proud, and, just like any new Daddy, I was showing pictures to anyone who would look.
Then I dragged you all through the (seemingly) endless permutations in layout and posted all the benchmark/burn-in tests that I could run.

The machine still runs peachy. But...

Lately, the weather has turned a bit nippier and I've had the heat on more. Ambient temps are therefor higher. As expected my case temps also rose a bit. Nothing drastic, mind you, but definately a bit higher.

So I started playing with my super-duper fan control set-up and... basically nothing.
I then started to turn off the fans one by one.
Still nothing.

To make a long story short, I have now completely removed all of the fans that I so lovingly installed and spent hours wiring neatly into place. No change.
Wait, that's not completely true...my HDD temp has skyrocketed all the way up to 28C.
I am now running with only the fan on my Zalman heatsink and the two fans in my PSU ( and if it wasn't such a pain to do, I would be tempted to disable at least one of those...) and my CPU/motherboard temps have remained dead consistent at 41C/29C.
Running the burn-in test for 1 hour will raise the CPU temp to 43-44C, then it drops right back down.

I find this somewhat puzzling.
I went to ALOT of trouble cutting holes and mounting fans, testing airflow and moving/retesting, all apparently to no avail.

Don't get me wrong, I think that 41C is an excellent result for a moderately OCed system that is air cooled.

After some thought I have concluded that I am basically dealing with some basic, immutable properties of my particular heatsink. I'm not sure who mentioned it (John Lennon?Lynx? VB?), but copper, while being very good at absorbing heat, is not very good at shedding it. And this is one BIG heatsink. It would take more airflow than I am currently able (or willing) to provide to get this thing to dissipate heat any more efficiently. The very low rise in temp from idle to stress conditions indicates that the heatsink is very effective at absorbing the BTUs, but it's refusal to drop it's temp even when flooded with fresh air tells me that I've pretty much reached a dead end.

One side benefit of all this is that the case is very quiet. And my PSU might live fractionally longer, since it is basically doing nothing most of the time now.

Anyone need some fans? I seem to have a surplus....

Smurfette
11-16-2003, 12:54 AM
LOL.

I myself cut a hole in a new case and ran ducting to the CPU fan so that the warmer air was being blown straight out of the case because the PSU stood directly in the airflow.
After a few months of bashing it a bit while fiddling in other areas I took it out to replace it and found the CPU temp stayed where it had been before.
Go figure is one phrase that sprang to mind at the time.

clocker
11-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette@15 November 2003 - 17:54

Probably only the first of many, right?

I am somewhat pissed.
I spent alot of time, energy and brainpower to no apparent advantage.

I shall console myself by saying "Oh well, at least I learned something...", but it is cold comfort, indeed.

Smurfette
11-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by clocker+16 November 2003 - 01:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 16 November 2003 - 01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Smurfette@15 November 2003 - 17:54

Probably only the first of many, right?[/b]
Heh, yeah I don&#39;t remember the exact wording but I must&#39;ve used a fair few of my favourite words.

<!--QuoteBegin-clocker@16 November 2003 - 01:03
I am somewhat pissed.
I spent alot of time, energy and brainpower to no apparent advantage.

I shall console myself by saying "Oh well, at least I learned something...", but it is cold comfort, indeed.[/quote]
Yes, we unfortunately learn best by experience, don&#39;t we?

abu_has_the_power
11-16-2003, 02:50 AM
so we all have problems, even the master of the hardware world. ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Well I have been trying to push you in the right direction. I do remember congratulating you on simplifying when you had reduced the number of fans.

Running the burn-in test for 1 hour will raise the CPU temp to 43-44C, then it drops right back down.

but it&#39;s refusal to drop it&#39;s temp even when flooded with fresh air tells me that I&#39;ve pretty much reached a dead end.
Sounds good to me. Why are you concerned with those temps.

My suggestion is that you put 2 fans running at slower speeds (7 volt trick) at the back of your case. Leave an open air flow from the front and your floor duct.

Does your power supply have automatic fan speed contol circuitry? If so can you use that instead of the 7 volt trick.

Then just leave it at that. It&#39;s plenty cool and quiet. Isn&#39;t that all you wanted?

clocker
11-16-2003, 02:52 AM
Yes Abu, we all do.

Thank God I haven&#39;t tried to install lights yet.

No telling what might happen.

Virtualbody1234
11-16-2003, 03:06 AM
clocker, maybe you could sell all the fans to abu and he could install them all with his lights, disco ball and carnival ride and then he could watch the forth of july burst out of his 500 watt power supply.

clocker
11-16-2003, 03:09 AM
Ah VB, the ole "I told ya so".
I am the perfect exemplar of the adage "You can lead a horse to water, blah,blah,blah..."

My only justification would be that now I can trust my results because they were arrived at by a long and torturous path. Which I documented fortunately, so maybe I&#39;ll remember it in the future.

I had two fans on the back wall which were hooked into my fan controller (thus speed adjustable), and they made no impact either. So they are now resting on my workbench with all the others.

Till now the only fan not speed controlled has been the HSF which is plugged into the motherboard and controlled by the Asus SmartFan program. This does in fact vary the fan speed, but only within the range of about 2200-2600 rpm.

The next move is to reconnect this fan to my fan bus and see what happens to the temps when I lower the rpms to about 1500-1600. At that speed the fan is truly silent. I would expect my chip temps to rise to maybe 44-45C. If the CPU temp still remains as invariable from idle to stress as it does now, then maybe my investigations into air cooling will be well and truly over.

Virtualbody1234
11-16-2003, 03:24 AM
I wouldn&#39;t recommend you put your CPU fan onto the speed controller. With the reduced voltage, sometimes fans refuse to start. Maybe it won&#39;t do it at first but who knows what will happen months from now. All it takes is one time. It&#39;s not worth risking your CPU for that.

About the --- ole "I told ya so". I hope you don&#39;t take my comments in the wrong way. I am only trying my best to communicate here.

If it comes across badly, it&#39;s not my intention. In fact I think very highly of your skills and talent with these machines. I have also learned a lot of things from you too.

http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/thmbup.gif

TheFilePirater
11-16-2003, 03:31 AM
i was like that to VB, i showed every one and everything, no i have 120mm fan in front and 2 80mm in back and still no damn temp change&#33;

clocker
11-16-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 November 2003 - 20:06
clocker, maybe you could sell all the fans to abu and he could install them all with his lights, disco ball and carnival ride and then he could watch the forth of july burst out of his 500 watt power supply.
Well Abu, make me an offer.
I have seven Thermaltake 3-bladed fans-very quiet.
I have 4 Zalman low-profile fans -also very quiet and cool grills.
I have three Thermaltake Ducting mod tubes.

No LEDs in any of them, unfortunately.

I wouldn&#39;t recommend you put your CPU fan onto the speed controller. With the reduced voltage, sometimes fans refuse to start. Maybe it won&#39;t do it at first but who knows what will happen months from now. All it takes is one time. It&#39;s not worth risking your CPU for that.
This HSF comes with a speed controller.
Anyway, I&#39;m not really concerned with a few months from now.
In a few weeks this SOB will be water cooled.

Which means that the HSF too will be up for sale. :P

I am such a spendthrift...

abu_has_the_power
11-16-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 November 2003 - 22:06
:angry: y do u guys keep saying i&#39;ll blow up my computer? i have 2 cold cathodes in there now, and a 4 led fan on the side of my case. no probs yet. I&#39;M NOT AN IDIOT&#33; :angry: it&#39;s not like i&#39;ve never built computers b4. i&#39;m gonna cry :cry: ;)
yes, i&#39;m not an idiot, and i wasn&#39;t crying, but pick on someone else. pick on someone who really doesn&#39;t know anything bout comp hardware.

lynx
11-16-2003, 03:42 AM
I am now using Speedfan to control my fans and temps (thanks abu, you got something right at least). Current HSF speed is 1740 rpm, cpu temp is 34C.

PS (Enermax 400W) fan speed is 1760 rpm (manually controlled on the back panel) but I never have to adjust it.

I&#39;ve got another fan mounted in the front (input, yes, I know what I said) but it was so noisy I disconnected it.

My only criticism of Speedfan is that my fan speed is very sensitive at the bottom end and makes almost no difference at the top end. On other machines I have seen the opposite effect.

The sensitivity in the program is 1%, but the sensitivity of the hardware is 0.4%. A simple mapping table could spread the sensitive areas over a larger part of the adjustable scale and therefore make the adjustment more linear.

Just noticed VB&#39;s last post - since the hardware uses duty cycle ratio to adjust fan speed, it always runs at full voltage. Inrush currents ensure startup but duty cycle ratio keeps the speed down.

clocker
11-16-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@15 November 2003 - 20:24

About the --- ole "I told ya so". I hope you don&#39;t take my comments in the wrong way. I am only trying my best to communicate here.

If it comes across badly, it&#39;s not my intention.
I was only being the clown here, VB, not to worry.

Besides that, I deserved a "I told you so" in this case.
I am not averse to taking crap when I deserve it, as my nick implies , I just "keep on tickin" ( is John Cameron Swayze dead, btw?).

Abu, don&#39;t you realize yet that we are (mostly) just funnin wit ya?
For Christmas would you like a thicker skin?

And what about those fans?

Virtualbody1234
11-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Yeah, abu, don&#39;t take it seriously. We&#39;re only joking.

And what about those fans?
I don&#39;t need them myself, clocker. I already have a box full.

clocker
11-16-2003, 01:47 PM
A man can never have too many fans, vbod.

You may have a freak heat wave up there.

Lamsey
11-16-2003, 01:57 PM
eBay would be a good way to get rid of the fans, someone might snap them all up from you.

I&#39;d have considered it if I lived in the US - I&#39;m always having to tweak and upgrade people&#39;s PCs, so a bunch of fans would be handy. You&#39;ll surely be able to find someone to sell them to :)

Kunal
11-16-2003, 02:01 PM
@ lamsey buy the cheap 4 pin £0.84 ones from ebuyer&#33; :lol:

Billy_Dean
11-16-2003, 02:19 PM
When a company releases a CPU with a heatsink and fan, it should be obvious that what they supply is going to be sufficient to cool the CPU. They can&#39;t afford to have their CPU&#39;s seizing up all over the place. Extra fans and cooling are for extra reasons. I live in a country where the temperature indoors can reach into the 40&#39;s (celsius) and the humidity to over 100%. Overclockers also need extra cooling. You should set your fans to come on only when the temperature inside your case reaches a certain temperature. Don&#39;t throw them away, you haven&#39;t had a summer yet.

:)

clocker
11-16-2003, 03:47 PM
I certainly wasn&#39;t going to throw them away, Billy.

They would make an interesting mobile, I think.

I am actually just kidding about selling them at all.
I&#39;m sure they will be put to good use eventually.

hobbes
11-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Clocker,

I got inspired by your fan story, so I cut a hole in my pc tower and started using the new fan I purchased.

Well 10 minutes later, I am friggin&#39; exhausted and it&#39;s near impossible to type with one hand. Screw this&#33;

http://www.japan2001.org.uk/participate/fan.jpg
Sorry, I&#39;ll get me coat.

clocker
11-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Hobbes, it is now obvious why you rarely hangout in Hardware world.

Even the rawest nOOb would have known better than to buy the budget kit that you fell for. For just a few extra bucks you could have upgraded and gotten the included geisha.
Then you wouldn&#39;t have had this problem.

hobbes
11-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by clocker@16 November 2003 - 19:03
Hobbes, it is now obvious why you rarely hangout in Hardware world.

Even the rawest nOOb would have known better than to buy the budget kit that you fell for. For just a few extra bucks you could have upgraded and gotten the included geisha.
Then you wouldn&#39;t have had this problem.
Oh, I got the geisha with the fan, &#39;nough said ;)

SciManAl
11-16-2003, 08:52 PM
clocker lessons hard learned are lessons best recieved...
I watched one day as &#036;2000 comp flooded with water and slowly died in my arms... :(

*Alex takes off his hat and says*
"I will never forget how well that one oced"

Not all mods end out well, and as far as to why your fan situation is working, certainly you remeber the old 1995 computers with only one fan in them... The PSU and nothing else... that is how yours works, (just with 2 fans) a suction causes the heat to go up to the psu and then to exit the case... sucking in cool air from the front, also your case is has near godly airflow capabilities...

clocker
11-16-2003, 11:04 PM
I have decided to try one more configuration.

Looking back on my notes, I realized that I&#39;ve tried almost all the various combinations save one.

This time ( please God, let it be the last&#33;) I&#39;m putting a 120mm fan on the case floor, basically just replacing the 80mm that&#39;s already there and two fans back into the rear wall.

All three will be blowing air into the case.
The idea here is to create positive case pressure, forcing air out of all the other openings that my case already has.
These fans will be running at either 5 or 7 volts, so they should be essentially silent.
I hope.

Somehow I just can&#39;t give up on the aircooling experiments as long as I can come up with a new idea to try.

Wish me luck.

Edit:
I just scanned the temp history over the past 24 hrs. (Asus Probe has a neat record feature) and nothing has moved more than 1/2 degree. Motherboard and HDD are at 29C and CPU is 42C. Admittedly, all I&#39;ve been doing is some web browsing and DLed two movies, but that&#39;s actually pretty normal activity for me, so I&#39;m going to use it as a baseline...

_John_Lennon_
11-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Clocker, also, keep in mind that no matter how many fans, running at how many RPMs you have in your case, there are a few other things to keep in mind. For instance merely the ambient temperature of the outside of the case, and the temp inside the case.

You cant lower you CPU temps that much, if the hot air coming off the processor can only mixed with 29C air in your case, that is being renewed with just about as hot air thats outside your case. Keep in mind that I have a 10 degree hotter CPU, yet a case thats running 8 degrees (21C) cooler. :huh:

However, do you see any effect by merely taking off the windowed side of your case, and leaving it open? My CPU temp goes down by about 3, and my case by about 3 as well when I do that.

Also remember to keep the tower off the ground, I had mind on the ground, and the temps were about 5 degrees higher than what I have now, after I put the Case on my trumpet case, which raises it about 5 inches off the ground.

Oh and btw, as for water cooling, how many water cooling compoents are you planning to buy? Remember that you cant just take out all your fans in your case, unless you have all the heat dispensing parts covered, including your Northbridge (thats why it has a heatsink, because it puts off heat.) As well as your hard drives, and GPU block.

I know people that have had parts fail simply because they think that they can take out all their fans because the CPU isnt heating the inside of the case anymore. And thus, no more heat is being conducted into the case because the watercooling keeps it all nice and cool. <_<

clocker
11-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Right now John I have NO case fans at all save the CPU HSF.
And yes, my temps drop dramatically if I leave the windowed side off. That offends my sense of aesthetics, though.

Your point about ambient temp is well taken, the room my PC lives in is probably the hottest in the whole house. I could raise orchids in here, but there&#39;s not much I can do about it, this place has such a poorly designed heating system that I&#39;ll freeze in bed if I don&#39;t keep the temps where they are.

_John_Lennon_
11-17-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by clocker@16 November 2003 - 18:28
Right now John I have NO case fans at all save the CPU HSF.
And yes, my temps drop dramatically if I leave the windowed side off. That offends my sense of aesthetics, though.

Your point about ambient temp is well taken, the room my PC lives in is probably the hottest in the whole house. I could raise orchids in here, but there&#39;s not much I can do about it, this place has such a poorly designed heating system that I&#39;ll freeze in bed if I don&#39;t keep the temps where they are.
But that does show you that if you lower the temp of the air directly around the CPU and heatsink, by taking off the side of the case, then you can still lower the temp of the CPU.

Virtualbody1234
11-17-2003, 03:00 AM
It&#39;s not a good idea to set it up with all fans blowing into the case.

It&#39;s better to blow in from the bottom and blow out near the top.

clocker
11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
A quick ( and not terribly conclusive) update...

I went ahead and performed the modification I had planned last night.

After 14 hours of continuous running the results are:

Motherboard, Hdd and ambient case temps have all fallen by 2C. A quick (30 minute) burn in test didn&#39;t budge any of the three.

The CPU didn&#39;t change one iota...it is still rock steady at 42C.

I am really beginning to wonder about this heatsink.

I am tempted to remove it and take off the fan which is nested in the center, then position a fan on a bracket a few inches away ( seeing as how I have a few spare fans laying around :P ).
http://www.themodfathers.com/Reviews/7000cu/5.jpg
This is my heatsink with the fan removed
That is the theory behind he Zalman "flower" cooler. The major portion of the mass in this heatsink is the very center, the part which is also masked by the hub of the fan. I wonder if I uncloaked this center area if maybe I couldn&#39;t get this baby to shed a little more heat as I&#39;m convinced that I now have a pretty good airflow through the case which should be capable of carrying away any more heat that I can dump into it.

Hmmm...

BTW, VirtualBody,

In theory I agree with your statement about how to position the fans, but...

In order to fully exploit the effect that you are going for I really should cut a bigger hole in my case roof ( right now there is just a aperture for a 80mm fan and even that is just the grid of holes, not an unobstructed hole) and mount a 120mm fan to match the one in my case floor. That setup would create some major airflow.
As I am considering going to water cooling however, I am somewhat hesitant to cut any more holes than necessary until I have determined where the H2O components may be placed. I can envision putting the radiator up in the roof, for instance.
Or I may just say what the hell and dedicate this case to an optimised air cooled solution and get another case to experiment with water cooling...

Virtualbody1234
11-17-2003, 08:50 PM
My suggestion was to put 2x80mm fans at the rear blowing outwards. That&#39;s what I meant by "blow out near the top".

Right now you have "rock steady at 42C". My question to you is why do you see a problem with that? Why do you want it cooler?

The other question that comes to my mind is, if you keep changing things and you don&#39;t see any temp changes then perhaps the reading is for some other device temp. I don&#39;t know but just try for a very short while to stop the fan. Does that reading rise?

clocker
11-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Curiousity killed the cat, you know.

Unplugging the HS fan from the mobo caused the temps to rise rather dramatically-from 42c to 46c in a matter of 1 minute or so. I think my monitor is working...

Pulling air out from the area you suggest presents me with something of a dilemma...That exhaust fan is but a few inches away from the intake fan on the bottom of my PSU and I think I may set up a sort of conflict in that area. I could move my temp probe onto the PSU and try it I suppose, It&#39;s not like I haven&#39;t tried everything else... :o

Objectively, I realize that many people would kill for the stable, relatively low temps that I have ( keeping in mind that I am moderately OCed atm).

Subjectively, I can&#39;t help but wonder if I just can&#39;t do a little better.

How many attempts did it take Edison to come up with a suitable filament?
A bit grandiose I admit, but you get my point...

edit: changed "considerably" to "moderately" upon reflection of the possibilities...

Kunal
11-17-2003, 09:29 PM
clocker what you clocked at atm?

clocker
11-17-2003, 09:31 PM
2300 (200x11.5)

Memory at 6,3,3,2.5T.

SciManAl
11-17-2003, 10:22 PM
hmm, i have a mobo that won&#39;t budge past 140, <_<

i am planning to do better in the future... (also waiting till after april or so to see what crazy stuff happens to proccesors...)

i actually would have to say clocker, that the set up you may have, may be very close to the best config you can get for air coling with sound in mind... If you have the money i would get a new bigger case for a H20 set up... (unless you have some components external of the case)

H20 set ups tend to be big, and bulky, and you will want to keep it any large amounts of water you have towards the bottom of the case, with no electricle compenetes near it to be safe(unless you are saying you will never have leaks) :P (not impossible ya know)

Good luck too ya, i wil always be at hand to help in the world of water cooling&#33;
(that is about best thing i am good at - lol)

B) Al

clocker
11-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by SciManAl@17 November 2003 - 15:22
hmm, i have a mobo that won&#39;t budge past 140, <_<

i am planning to do better in the future... (also waiting till after april or so to see what crazy stuff happens to proccesors...)

i actually would have to say clocker, that the set up you may have, may be very close to the best config you can get for air coling with sound in mind... If you have the money i would get a new bigger case for a H20 set up... (unless you have some components external of the case)

H20 set ups tend to be big, and bulky, and you will want to keep it any large amounts of water you have towards the bottom of the case, with no electricle compenetes near it to be safe(unless you are saying you will never have leaks) :P (not impossible ya know)

Good luck too ya, i wil always be at hand to help in the world of water cooling&#33;
(that is about best thing i am good at - lol)

B) Al
Al, I&#39;m not sure about which water cooling components you have been using, but my list doesn&#39;t include a 55 gal. drum as a reservoir or a ex-marine bilge pump.

In fact, I think a water cooled system would require a much smaller case than my current Xaser3.

SciManAl
11-18-2003, 12:22 AM
hehehehehe :P

sory bout that, for a normal set up water cooling(not my insane test rig) you will need at leat a mid tower case for easy install and still maintain somewhat clear airflow...

Now it could be possible for you to fit it all ina small case... (just allot of crapp to fit in a small space)

hehehe :P

Keikan
11-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Got a spare 8cm case fan i could use one

clocker
11-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Currently I have about 7 extra case fans.

Make my day.

Keikan
11-18-2003, 04:48 AM
What country you live in clocker?

clocker
11-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Colorado, USA.
How about you?

Keikan
11-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Edmonton, Canada

What&#39;s the cheapest shipping possible? can u just stick the fan in an envelope and put a international stamp on it

clocker
11-18-2003, 05:26 AM
No kidding.

I used to live in Edmonton.

Right off the Whitemud Parkway ( I think that was the name...it was twenty years ago...)

Do you have any fan connectors? All mine were cut off to work with my hotshit custom wiring set up...

SciManAl
11-18-2003, 03:18 PM
wow clocker you live close, as is well known i live in kansas, hehehehe :P

Keikan
11-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Ya no really i live in Edmonton but i really need a new case fan and I don&#39;t wanna pay for it and ya I live in Callingwood don&#39;t know where that place is

Ya i&#39; got fan connecters just gotta replace this stupid fan

clocker
11-19-2003, 01:19 AM
As promised, the adventure really never does end...

I decided that my 120mm fan ( which I had mounted on the case floor just two days ago) wasn&#39;t really doing too much ( at least at a silent 5v) so...it looked like it might...measure...ponder...WTF, why not...YES&#33;

It is now happily esconced in the bottom of my PSU, replacing the 80mm fan that came stock.
And while I&#39;ve got her ripped apart...hmmmm....yup.
Hdd has moved from the motherboard wall to the floor at the front of the case, elevted 1 1/2" off the floor on plastic standoffs. The old location was fine except that the big, relatively flimsy aluminum wall acted like a big sounding board, amplifying that weird HDD sound. It her new location the HDD runs slightly warmer, 31c instead of 28c, but is totally silent.
Yippee&#33;

Burnin test yielded the following results ( I actually took pictures, but PicStore is being cranky of late...): after 30 minutes...CPU- 43c (up from 41 at idle)...motherboard- 31.5c up from 29c...HDD- stable at 31c (I was running the disk test this time also)...PSU - 33.7c ( this temp comes from a sensor taped to the top of the unit all the way in the back, probably the hottest area in the whole case.)

My CPU, mobo and HDD temps are all within a degree or so of where they have been and the system temps hardly change at all from idle to stress, so things are looking pretty good.
The biggest improvement is the PSU which has dropped a healthy 5c. Now that was a mod worth making.

All my researching of watercooling has surprised me in that the watercooled systems don&#39;t really drop the temps all that much. In fact, some of the systems barely reach the temps I currently have.

I think that before I do anything else major I may fool around with some different fan powered HS units. In fact, if I can pry it away from the guy I gave it to, I may go back to a stock AMD hearsink with a 80mm fan adaptor mounted and see what that might do.
I could test quite a few HSFs without approaching the expense of a water cooled unit...

More to follow.

Keikan...PM me.

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 01:24 AM
no time 2 read entire thread - but i wanted 2 add something...

i unplugged my 3 extra case fans, cuz i hated the extra noise - since then, my pc&#39;s internal temp has dropped from 74F 2 around 56F. Y? what good r the fans if they just make the temp warmer?

clocker
11-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Your room temp is 56 F?

Are you a Inuit?

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by clocker@19 November 2003 - 01:30
Your room temp is 56 F?

Are you a Inuit?
isn&#39;t that strange&#33; i swear 2 u my room temp is 69 (i luv that number).

i don&#39;t get it - it just started after i unplugged the fans and turned the heat on, instead of the a/c. :huh: :blink:

clocker
11-19-2003, 01:52 AM
If your room temp is 69F and your sensors are reporting that your case is 56F, then something is wrong.

Or you are warping the laws of thermodynamics.

I suspect the former.

_John_Lennon_
11-19-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by clocker@18 November 2003 - 20:52
If your room temp is 69F and your sensors are reporting that your case is 56F, then something is wrong.

Or you are warping the laws of thermodynamics.

I suspect the former.
He is using fans, and his temperature is 10 degrees below ambient, LOL :rolleyes:

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@19 November 2003 - 02:50
He is using fans, and his temperature is 10 degrees below ambient, LOL&nbsp; :rolleyes:
yes, isn&#39;t it lol? thanx fer the support - <_<

i&#39;m just tellin it like it is man.

2morrow, i will bring the digicam from work and take a pic of my CPU temp gauge, and then 1 of my thermostat - :D they r 6 feet away from each other.

clocker
11-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Kurt,

A picture is hardly necessary.

It&#39;s not that I doubt your eyes, but certainly you can see the paradox here?

Where is your case sensor mounted?

Do you think that it is accurate?

Have you a theory to explain where that extra 13 degrees is going?

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by clocker@19 November 2003 - 03:05
Kurt,

A picture is hardly necessary.

It&#39;s not that I doubt your eyes, but certainly you can see the paradox here?

Where is your case sensor mounted?

Do you think that it is accurate?

Have you a theory to explain where that extra 13 degrees is going?
dude, i so totally know it sounds riciduclous, if it didn&#39;t - i wouldn&#39;t have posted in the first place - :D

"hi, my temp in my pc is 72 and my temp in my apartment is 70, isn&#39;t that weird?" wouldn&#39;t make such a good post.... :lol:

the sensor is chillin by the front of the case. i dunno what&#39;s up, somethin is obviously screwy - but my pc has been actin okay.

right now, i&#39;m gonna go in2 the bios and c what the temp is listed as there. brb - ;)

clocker
11-19-2003, 03:12 AM
I&#39;d be surprised if your case temp is even mentioned in BIOS...

Is this sensor removable?

Could you like put a piece of ice on it and see what the reading was?
Or stick it under your armpit?
Or maybe...nevermind.

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 03:14 AM
BIOS says my internal temp is 98 degrees F. does that sound better? :)

clocker
11-19-2003, 03:17 AM
Does your case display still say 56?

Do you have a hammer handy?

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by clocker@19 November 2003 - 03:17
Does your case display still say 56?

Do you have a hammer handy?
yup, case led still says 56 - whateva&#33; i&#39;m not an overclocker anyways - :P

clocker
11-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Perhaps not, but you were temporarily misled.

Virtualbody1234
11-19-2003, 04:03 AM
This sounds like the conversation I had with someone quite a while ago. He had his temps posted in his sig. His CPU temp was showing lower then the case temp. :blink:

I tried to explain to him that it was impossible but he just argued back at me. :lol:

He kept saying that he knew all about overclocking and that he had a really good fan. :lol: :lol:

lynx
11-19-2003, 04:08 AM
Maybe JONNO is a big fan. You know how cool he is. :lol: