PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a VPN.

whiteboy
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Do you guys use one?
Does it slow down your internet?
Does it cover your whole network or is specific to each pc.
And does it cause issues with torrent sites? Do I need to let them know.

Considering Anonine

Beck38
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Anonine - Swedish provider

reviews...
http://myvpnreviews.com/anonine/#reviews

If you are handy with programming/setup of routers, you can get dd-wrt and 'roll yet own' setup that will take your entire local network and port it through the vpn, either pptp or openvpn. Either that or put clients on each pc, but of course that either means 'swapping' the link around or paying for an account for each of them. There doesn't appear to be any 'plug and play' router boxes out there for this service, although I didn't look very hard; and then that box may be a 'chocking point', again, depending upon your ISP speed.

Biggest thing is, what the throughput is, and that depends on what your going to use it for (and what your local link speed is, of course, plus the encrypting router if any). Since they have what appears to be only one 'gateway' (in Sweden), it may or may not get you the throughput you want. Then again, who knows. Luckily, it is purchases on a 'month to month' basis, so you can try it out pretty cheaply (no contract).

Hole69
01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Why would you need one at all? I just use SSL, and that doesn't slow anything down.

ddggdd
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I used one before, only on the dedicated download box, not slow and some pt permit it if you tell them first.
for #3: for not being caught by people behind that famous stupid oscar winning movie.

whiteboy
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I run a server that runs my client but I access the sites from a different pc. I guess I am more worried about utorrent sharing my IP then the log of the site.

Why would you need one at all? I just use SSL, and that doesn't slow anything down.

I do this as well but I was more concerned about my torrent client.

Hole69
01-31-2012, 06:31 AM
I'd use a program that anonymizes your IP and leave it at that. Simpler. And if you use Usenet, why bother with the gigantic honeypot that is torrenting?

zot
01-31-2012, 06:51 AM
There have been literally hundreds of discussion threads on this site about VPNs, so I don't know what I could add that I've not already said many times before. ;)

But I will say again that I greatly prefer using (paid) SOCKS/HTTP proxies to VPNs -- for more reasons than I have time to list.

nntpjunkie
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
VPN is great for making your network traffic comings and goings private - little tip though, if you are torrenting make sure that there is nothing in the VPN provider's terms of service that prevent that or you could be like the many unfortunate souls who have been outed and reported by Giganews through their VyperVPN service.

whiteboy
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I guess I will just continue to free ball and cross my fingers. I use usenet whenever I can. But sometimes it doesn't have everything.

zot
02-02-2012, 06:21 AM
you could be like the many unfortunate souls who have been outed and reported by Giganews through their VyperVPN service.
Unlike the infamous HideMyAss incident, I've not seen a single instance of anyone complaining of being "outed" or "reported" by Giganews/VyperVPN, so please provide a link to this damning evidence to back up your accusation, if you wouldn't mind.

What I have seen, however, are user reports of Giganews cutting off service -or threatening to- for people who torrent and get their [*logged* by Giganews] VPN's IP address nailed by the copyright cops. But getting an internal reprimand is completely different from being ratted-out, as you seem to be claiming.

silentwolf98
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
use SSL....

nntpjunkie
02-03-2012, 04:38 PM
you could be like the many unfortunate souls who have been outed and reported by Giganews through their VyperVPN service.
Unlike the infamous HideMyAss incident, I've not seen a single instance of anyone complaining of being "outed" or "reported" by Giganews/VyperVPN, so please provide a link to this damning evidence to back up your accusation, if you wouldn't mind.

What I have seen, however, are user reports of Giganews cutting off service -or threatening to- for people who torrent and get their [*logged* by Giganews] VPN's IP address nailed by the copyright cops. But getting an internal reprimand is completely different from being ratted-out, as you seem to be claiming.

@zot - This is the first place that came to mind, I would have thought you would have seen it already....

Here (http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29170)

Maybe you would not consider it being outed, but if Giganews is acknowledging your ip was involved with an upload/download incident because of information they were provided from law enforcement, I think we can both agree that the very nature of that act shows that Giganews (VyperVPn) has no intention of fighting for or keeping your downloading/uploading private over their VPN - internal reprimand or no, I sure as heck wouldn't trust them - in case you haven't forgotten they are supposed to be a VPN service after all.

Hypatia
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
they are supposed to be a VPN service after all.

i second that.

if i needed a vpn i would go for something from Sweden. Anonine, perhaps.

zot
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

@zot - This is the first place that came to mind, I would have thought you would have seen it already....

Here (http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29170)

Maybe you would not consider it being outed, but if Giganews is acknowledging your ip was involved with an upload/download incident because of information they were provided from law enforcement, I think we can both agree that the very nature of that act shows that Giganews (VyperVPn) has no intention of fighting for or keeping your downloading/uploading private over their VPN - internal reprimand or no, I sure as heck wouldn't trust them - in case you haven't forgotten they are supposed to be a VPN service after all.

I had long ago read the discussion on the link you provided above (as well as the same subject posted in other forums) but that's an entirely different issue. And no, I don't agree with you at all.

There's a big difference between keeping records and actually releasing them. That's not to say that a determined foe with deep pockets won't eventually prevail in getting subscribers' identities from Giganews, but if anything, recent history has shown that there has been a wide range regarding how hard a provider will fight to protect the rights and privacy of its customers.

When the RIAA lawsuit campaign started back in 2003, some ISP's immediately coughed up all their customers' identities upon demand (to a private, non-government entity, no less!) without even asking for a court order. Other companies fought back hard to defend their customers rights . One notable defender of consumer rights, Verizon, waged an all-out battle with the RIAA legal machine, at considerable expense, taking it all the way to the Supreme court.

How Giganews would handle a similar situation has yet to be tested, but it's a gross distortion - if not an outright lie - to claim that Giganews has actually turned over customer identities to copyright claimants, when all Giganews did was forward emailed complaints and cancel accounts of repeat offenders (as the DMCA requires).

That being said, I think it would have been stupid for any torrenter to have trusted Giganews' VPN to mask his identity-- even before the recent fiasco. A VPN has many uses, and let's not forget that the VPN was never originally designed as an anonymity service -- that "side benefit" came out many years later. One primary value of having a Giganews VPN might be to access services like NetFlix from outside the USA -- rather than bittorrent anonymity. Like Highwinds, Giganews owns millions of dollars of property in the US, and you can bet it will be a cold day in Hell before they'd do anything to risk losing it.

Hypatia
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
nd cancel accounts of repeat offenders

Lets be honest here.

1)They THRIVE on "copyright infringement". They know perfectly well where the vast majority of their profits come from and why lots of people pay for this service. DOnt even mention non-binaries.

2) There is no way for a third party to determine whether a particular offender had ones account cancelled or not because of the way usenet works.

Ergo, there is totally no need fo GN to kill the hen that lays golden eggs for this type of "misconduct".

International copyright mafia ring wouldnt be ableto get a single piece of evidence whatsoever that could prove(the way it would stand in court) that GN did or did not cancell " offenders' " accounts

Removing content based on DMCA requests? Well, ok.
Driving away paying customers for nothing that can be proven? Go to hell then and die in piss,blood and shit

PS Instead of focusing on the lame MIMO, crappy VPN and such like greedy bastards should have introduced a VIP Upgrade for their top plan - "Mr.Anonymous" . Messages sent would have no x-trace embedded.

Hole69
02-06-2012, 05:57 AM
I agree. All usenet providers know exactly what services they are providing. Its a fine line between appeasing greedy corporations and making money. Very fine.

zot
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Lets be honest here.

1)They THRIVE on "copyright infringement". They know perfectly well where the vast majority of their profits come from and why lots of people pay for this service. DOnt even mention non-binaries.

Do they really know what percentage of subscriber downloads are infringing materials?

They could easily find out, of course (by logging downloads, surveying customers, etc) but privacy considerations aside, they don't know because they definitely DON'T WANT TO KNOW. Simply having that knowledge --and doing nothing about it-- could get them in a lot of trouble. (just ask the Pirate Bay's moneyman Carl Lundström!) So as far as any provider is concerned, they will have to assume that most customers are downloading Linux releases and other legal authorized material (hey, it's possible!).

nd cancel accounts of repeat offenders
2) There is no way for a third party to determine whether a particular offender had ones account cancelled or not because of the way usenet works.

Ergo, there is totally no need fo GN to kill the hen that lays golden eggs for this type of "misconduct".

International copyright mafia ring wouldnt be ableto get a single piece of evidence whatsoever that could prove(the way it would stand in court) that GN did or did not cancell " offenders' " accounts

The RIAA's method of nailing Usenet.com was to have undercover investigators subscribe to the service and ask customer support techs for help in doing illegal things.

The copyright cops could also test Giganews' repeat-infringer cancellation policy in similar fashion by posing as warez-uploading customers. Since there's no way to tell the real customers from the spies, to be 100% safe, Giganews must treat every single customer as if he/she were a RIAA/MPAA/FBI mole collecting incriminating evidence for a planned lawsuit --or worse.

Hypatia
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
its illegal. ANd they will be forced to reveal the source of their information if defenders know what they are doing. And it wouldnt really matter if it was their worker or a guy they knew , they were acting in collusion in order to commit a crime. its a perfect opportunity to explose their criminal activity and re-examine all their previous cases. and then arrest all their assets(those millions they extorted from innocent people)

LilTunechi
02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Use VPN's that don't log like Nvpn, Mullvad etc.