PDA

View Full Version : GIBInews

UsenetGuy
02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey guys,

Haven't had a usenet account in quite a long time now and looking to get one again. Found https://gibinews.eu/en has anyone tried them or know who they resell? Seems like very good value just not sure if it is legit.

Thanks,
UsenetGuy

Cabalo
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Crazy prices! :O
I'll probably test the free account tomorrow, this is kinda too good to be true, so even if the service isn't the best ever, for this price surely you won't be disappointed.

zot
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
The price of only 3 EU/mo seems much too good to last (though it's not that unusual for new companies to start out at below-market prices) . The service seems to be closely connected to the NiouzeFire news client software. I'm glad to see that NiouzeFire has come out of hibernation and is now back in development ... though as payware this time. I'm guessing that either the NiouzeFire developer started his own usenet [reseller] service --as several newsreader authors have-- or sold the software source code.

At a listed 1200 days retention, I assume it's most likely a highwinds reseller (as the vast majority are). No listed server address that I could find to tracert. (maybe news.gibinews.eu?)

I wonder what is meant by "Engagement: NO ENGAGEMENT" ? Could that mean a month-to-month "no contract" service perhaps? Or maybe it means "no auto-payment"?

UsenetGuy
02-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Signed up and seems to be alright. Speed often around the 3MB/s mark most of the time, my max is 3.8MB/s and sometimes I can reach that.
Traceroute seems to go to an OVH server in france, also posting is disabled. Looked at the post body of a few files to see the path they took to get to the server, always ends at Giganews.

So i'm guessing they probably have a suck feed set up with Giganews (http://www.giganews.com/outsourcing.html#feed) which is fine with me, for the price I can't complain :)

I wonder what is meant by "Engagement: NO ENGAGEMENT" ? Could that mean a month-to-month "no contract" service perhaps? Or maybe it means "no auto-payment"?

That means no contract, once you are signed up you can choose between an automatic subscription or one off payments.

Thanks,
UsenetGuy

cola
02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Seems like everyone has an OVH server these days.

I hope that its not someone who gamed their signup process for a gbit server. OVH seems to be going back and fixing some of those now.

The price is right though.

Stabber
02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
isn't niouzefire free?

zot
02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
isn't niouzefire free?
Not any more, the site pulled the free version, and now only offers the paid version (but it's a great deal with 2 months free usenet service when you buy a lifetime niouzefire license for 3 EU )

I'm curious though, does the old free version of Niouzefire still work for anyone?

cleggy
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
yes the free version 1.2 still works ok

chakara
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Just signed up, quick feedback.

I've been with AW for 3 years on their $96/year deal. I have a NGdirect block account as back up, on which I used 50GB in the last 6 months. I download around 2TB a year using SABnzbd.
To wrap it up about my situation, I'm in France.

My internet access allows me a dl rate of 1.7MBps and Gibinews maxes it out, no problem there. I still get 1.6MBps on 5 connections.
I've dled 9GB so far, using my still running AW account as back up (it was needed for 32MB so far).

No repair needed on a 1.1GB 1100d old post. No repair needed on a 8GB 250d old post that I could get on AW for some reason (1000 parts missing).

So far so good, I'll keep downloading a lot to see if maybe they limit my dl speed.