PDA

View Full Version : Niche content

Glaucon
02-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm considering a move to newsgroups, but being a long time user of BitTorrent and never actually trying anything else, I'd appreciate some guidelines.

The main thing I'm having trouble understanding is where the content is found. I'm mainly interested in music, movies, tv series and video games. As such, I has found many private torrent trackers that have fulfillled my needs (What, PassThePopcorn, Broadcasthenet, BitGamer) but am yet to find the appropriate newsgroup alternatives. I've already looked at several links lurking around here, but have either found them lacking in content or presenting it in a poor way.

Are there any specific places where I should look for such content? I'm also worrying about the retention. If I'd want older content, what'd be the chances it has been reposted? Are there sites that make sure older collections are kept available instead of forgotten in the course of time?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask an unrelated question. What's the probability of incomplete files? I understand it depends on which provider you get, but is it a lot of hassle in general? As in, will I constantly pull my hair out because I'll be missing parts of a release?

Thanks.

sandman_1
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Since you would be new to newsgroup scene, it would probably be best to stick with a site such as FST NZB section, NZBMatrix, or Newzbin where the community finds most of what you would probably be looking for. Raw search sites are good once you have a grasp on how everything works, i.e. Binsearch.info and Mysterbin.com for instance. Using raw search engines though, one must use common sense before grabbing a file since it won't weed out the junk. Most News providers keep posts for 1200+ days which is what 3+ years. You won't find that on torrents most likely. Stuff usually gets reposted and you can ask for something to get reposted if you needed to.

Completion isn't much of an issue with premium providers but some people usually back up their news servers with a block account from another provider. I personally don't have a block account and use a free usenet account, XSUsenet, sort of like my block account and never had any problems getting something I wanted but apparently a few people do. Usually completion issues are because of DMCA take downs or glitches like the one Astraweb has from articles around 250+ days range.

Hypatia
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
but some people usually back up their news servers with a block account from another provider.
i think users without a proper set up consisting of two accounts from two different providers are a minority now.=))

in music, movies, tv series and video games.

music is not really usenet thing. Especially if you are interested in lots of FLACs etc.. nothing can beat what.cd in that department

Now... movies, tv series and games is where usenet shines

them lacking in content or presenting it in a poor way.

Generally there are two type of resources.

1) nzb sites like nzbmatrix which is recommended for newbies.(small one time payment is required)
Users add manually content they find\spot on usenet= almost zero chance of getting something you dont want

2) pure usenet indexing sites they just index almost everything within specified groups

mysterbin (it can search within archieves which is alone a total pwnage
nzbindex
binsearch

For obvious reasons there is lots of stuff that can be found only via raw search
one just have to learn how to properly search using filters and simplifying search entries to some extent

I'm also worrying about the retention

DOnt

What's the probability of incomplete files?

I suggest you to read this

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/444148-Proper-Servers-Setup-VS-Incompletes

SInce you stated that tv series are important for you( i presume HBO included?) as well as video games
i wouldnt advise you to choose as a main provider anything giganews\highwinds related(newshosting supernews usenetserver easynews poweruseent etc etc)

There are two nice combos which id recommend then:

astraweb unlimited + blocknews 100GB
usenetnow unlimited+ astraweb 180Gb block

PS it would also help if you could spare more details about the content you are interested in

Scene releases?

erotica(scene\non-scene)?

movies- full blurays?

games- PC\console?

t

Glaucon
02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
First of all, thank you VERY much for the quick and detailed replies!

So far I've looked at the FST index as sandman_1 suggests and it does indeed look promising. Other than that, I checked nzb.su and kere.ws (was suggested in another thread). They both seem to have a very nice interface. I'm yet to take a look at NZBMatrix - the fact that I'd have to pay for access offsets me slightly, but I suppose if it guarantees me I'll find the content I need, it's worth it.

As far as what exactly I am looking for... I'm mostly interested in 720p movie releases (mainly mainstream, but I do occassionaly watch older things), 720p TV releases and PC games. Neither the movies nor TV need to be scene releases, but the games should be. I'm somewhat disappointed that the same amount of music is not found on newsgroups, but I suppose I'll survive. About erotica I couldn't care less.

I've been actually looking at Supernews as a provider first and I'm glad you warned me about it. My other alternative was Astraweb and if you say it's good then I might very well go with that, using XS Usenet as a secondary first and eventually get a block account if needed. Still concerned about the Astraweb glitches sandman_1 mentioned, but I suppose that's why one should have two providers.

sandman_1
02-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Everything you mentioned you were looking for FST handles fine. All the new, popular releases for movies and such, can be had through this site quickly too, shortly after it has pre'd.

I don't agree with the notion Usenet doesn't have a lot of music. There are several groups that deal strictly with mp3, flac, ape, DTS, and other formats. The near TB amount of music, in lossles format, on HDD should tell you something there.

Anyway you gotta go with what works for you. I wouldn't worry about Astra's glitch. No provider is problem free.

Hypatia
02-04-2012, 11:35 PM
i cant really support the notion that

FST handles fine. All the new, popular releases for movies and such, can be had through this site quickly too, shortly after it has pre'd

it is simpy not so. im not even talking about tons of non-scene releases which are not hand picked and posted here,just about the scene.

Open up 720p section on FST and then check latest 20 scene 720p releases.

sandman_1
02-05-2012, 01:28 AM
I didn't ask you to support it. :)

All the "popular" TV shows and Movies I have gotten off this site and usually shortly after a release is pre'd. So for my needs, I can get most of what I want from FST. I am not saying you will find everything here but FST does have a good amount of content to start with.

Hypatia
02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
well i was mostly referring to "shortly after pre" =)

atm 720p section was updated 14 Hours ago

Tbh the easiest way to monitor every day new, scene english in this case, releases of full length BDrip movies(for instance) is

this (http://www.mysterbin.com/advsearch?q=mkv+x264+EFNet+-teevee+-foreign+-mvid&match=normal&minSize=0&maxSize=max&group=&maxAge=1&complete=0)

and

this (http://www.mysterbin.com/advsearch?q=mkv%20u4a&minSize=3000&maxAge=1&start=0&dmode=collection)

or something like that. it depends on ones preferences
Also note that i used "mkv" since its mysterbin(inside archieves) and all scene bdrips are in mkv
i wouldnt use "mkv" with nzbindex for example

just as an example =)

PS For Efnet release one could also use their "website" or IRC

Hole69
02-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Some music you won't find, I know there are a few raps groups which just don't exist on Usenet. I'd recommend Astraweb too. Note that some BDRiPs are in .avi, especially if they 1 or 2 CD. 720p or 1080p are nearly always in mkv, there are 720p .avi's but not many. The missing parts you can get (not always) from a fill server. You can also try manually extracting and verifying with Quickpar. To play these back, a media streamer is good or a decent blu-ray player with USB input. You can also put together a mini-ITX system with Openelec or XMBC too. If its popular it will be more than likely reposted. If its something obscure and kinky, it really depends.