PDA

View Full Version : can you bridge your home internet with a wifi connection?

Frankthetank1
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Can you bridge your home internet with a wifi connection? So I have home internet cable on my desktop and also use wifi on my laptop at my home also. Is it possible to connect the two on my desktop for double the speed?

killuminati96
02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I managed to have my desktop hooked up with wires to the router AND connect with my wifi card at the same time. I don't think it makes your net any faster.

Frankthetank1
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
You try downloading anything? I just set it up myself. I'll see if I can get the right config and bridge It tomorrow. Got a wndr 3300 wifi router with comcrap Internet and a laptop with wifi using comcrap Internet too.

zot
02-07-2012, 08:11 AM
I've casually connected two -or even three- different connections to the internet, but the problem is that the operating system assigns a default path/adapter that all internet traffic is routed through. Unplug that wire, and your IP address instantly changes as your OS switches to another network adapter. I have never been able to combine two simultaneous connections (and therefore double download speed) in either XP or Linux, but I wouldn't doubt that there's software available to do this -- or even just simple configuration settings. No doubt there are numerous 'geek' sites that explain exactly how it's done.

anon
02-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I've casually connected two -or even three- different connections to the internet, but the problem is that the operating system assigns a default path/adapter that all internet traffic is routed through.

Metrics decide which network route is chosen first - a lower metric equals a smaller "cost" and is thus preferable. ForceBindIP can be used to force programs to use a particular adapter only. That's all I know that might help, as I never tried this either (you can't steal good Wi-Fi where I reside :P).

Frankthetank1
02-07-2012, 11:02 PM
i can steal the same wifi speed i already have, they just leave it open to the public.. I got this router thinking i can use it to steal their wifi but I found out it only broadcasts and doesn't receive. :( Is it possible to rout it from my laptop to my router then to my desktop?

anon
02-08-2012, 01:07 AM
There's no setting to turn the router into a signal repeater? I've seen that on very cheap models...

Kimparker
02-27-2014, 09:32 AM
I have never been able to merge two multiple relationships (and therefore dual obtain speed) in either XP or A linux system, but I wouldn't question that there's application available to do this -- or even just easy configurations settings.

megabyteme
02-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I have never been able to merge two multiple relationships (and therefore dual obtain speed)

IKR. Threesomes seem more like a thing of the movies than something a guy can actually make happen. At least without stooping to ugly/fat chicks. :(

mjmacky
02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
I have never been able to merge two multiple relationships (and therefore dual obtain speed)

IKR. Threesomes seem more like a thing of the movies than something a guy can actually make happen. At least without stooping to ugly/fat chicks. :(

I tried it, and there's not enough honesty lying around to keep that machine running.

lightshow
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
So the idea make sense, but the it doesn't work from a technical sense.

You want your entire session state to route through the same path. So let's say you set up a route jumper that changes your default route to go out wifi then you do the easy thing and say every 5 seconds, have it route through your cable modem.

So you log onto gmail... actually wait now that I think about it, the backend wouldn't care that you're routing though different devices. The burden of truth is on your local HD as session state. So as long as your browser passes the session ID; that can come from different MACs (ie different routes).

This is the idea behind firesheep a TCP session state capture tool. If you own the session ID and send it to the endpoint, you can make it believe you are the real owner of the session.

So, to the op's original need, he wants to probably run bittorent and have it choose both paths so he gets the combined upload and download BW of each path.

The easiest thing to do is set up two bittorent clients and have one route through one path to wifi and the other to route through your cable modem.

http://superuser.com/questions/114109/how-to-set-up-application-specific-routing-table-on-windows

Something like this. You're looking for windows application based routing.

Next, you'll need to make sure you can run your hardwired connection and wifi at the same time. IE: you may want to statically assign each interface an ip address. They need to be on different subnets so they have different gateways (aka: routes). ( Hopefully they are on different subnets since you'll have colissions if you have the same subnets for each interface but the gateways are the same IP. You'll just end up screwing things up since you'll have GW MAC conflicts. So, its best that each one be on a different subnet to make things easier. Make it happen if it isn't. Even if you're leeching other wifi, just set the range to be on a different subnet.)

Then you'd follow a guide like that to make that application route through the appropriate gateway. Yay done! Simple stuff man. Just basic routing.

route add is your friend.

By the end of this I want you to be able to calculate subnet ranges in your head!

Edit: Router Side Trick!
Oh yeah, you can also use AutoAP on the router side if your router is flashed with dd-wrt. It just takes all the avaialble SSIDs that you give passwords for (see lifehacker article on reaver (hint hint)) connects to them, runs a health metic to see their speed, then jumps onto them.

Since you're behind the NAT, you'll never notice, but AutoAP will keep jumping you around to the fastest Access Point. Works best in Apartments with a good cantenna.

That's for those who have only WIFI they want to use