PDA

View Full Version : Revolutions Coming Home Sooner Than We Thought?

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 04:45 AM
Revolutions Coming Home Sooner Than We Thought?
Lackluster box office & online piracy may mean more Neo for Christmas.

When is a film that grosses $85 million in its opening weekend considered a disappointment? When you're Warner Brothers and the film is Matrix Revolutions, the third and final(?) installment in the popular Matrix trilogy.

While the film posted the third highest opening box office total for a Wednesday open, the studio expected the film to come in at number 1. The $85 million in box office receipts from Wednesday to Sunday fell well below expectations as did the $200 million internationally. Like most films in release today, copies of the movie appeared in various Internet groups just hours after the film opened, causing more concern for the studio.

Worried that the time to make money from the franchise may be running out faster than expected, representatives for Warner Home Video contacted some of the major video retailers and rental outlets on Monday to let them know that Revolutions may be coming home a lot sooner than expected. Early January was mentioned but if the box office continues to drop at its current pace, Matrix Revolutions could hit DVD before Christmas.

Adding insult to injury, a possibility was mentioned to one video dealer that the studio may try putting together a 3-movie boxed set for Christmas if Revolutions is released in time to show up in your holiday stocking. According to one video dealer that spoke to IGN FilmForce on condition of anonymity, "Warners is afraid that Revolutions won't sell very well because of the word of mouth on the movie. The only way to make the money on sell-through is to package it with the other two." The retailer went on to say that the number of requests for the film have dropped significantly since the film's opening day.

The big test for the film will be how it fares in its second weekend, when it will be up against the Russell Crowe starrer, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, a film that has been getting extremely positive reviews and advance word of mouth.

Representatives for Warner Home Video would neither confirm nor deny the information but a source at Warners did confirm that a meeting about the DVD release for Matrix Revolutions did occur on Monday. If the film is released early to DVD, we should be hearing an announcement within weeks. Stay tuned.

Source: http://filmforce.ign.com/matrix/articles/458/458822p1.html

3rd gen noob
11-16-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Stonecoldfreak1@16 November 2003 - 04:45
"Warners is afraid that Revolutions won't sell very well because of the word of mouth on the movie. The only way to make the money on sell-through is to package it with the other two."
it's a matter of the film being crap rather than piracy then, Warner?

good article though :D

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+16 November 2003 - 04:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 16 November 2003 - 04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Stonecoldfreak1@16 November 2003 - 04:45
"Warners is afraid that Revolutions won&#39;t sell very well because of the word of mouth on the movie.&nbsp; The only way to make the money on sell-through is to package it with the other two."
it&#39;s a matter of the film being crap rather than piracy then, Warner?

good article though :D [/b][/quote]
i dont understand why it wouldnt make good money :&#092; i remember reloaded sold a shitload and revolutions was alot better than reloaded

tarzan
11-16-2003, 05:34 AM
well,it wouldn&#39;t suprise me
what better way to milk the cash cow completely dry than release the dvd during the biggest sale month so everybody gets it for Xmas
including the even bigger sell item ...box set trilogy 49.99
so the company makes even more money and manages to make a small profit from the movie since it doesnt appear it is going to pay of the 100 million++ it took to make just reloaded
nother big blunder on hollywoods behalf

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by tarzan@16 November 2003 - 05:34
what better way to milk the cash cow completely dry than release the dvd during the biggest sale month so everybody gets it for Xmas
so the company makes even more money and manages to make a small profit from the movie since it doesnt appear it is going to pay of the 100 million++ it took to make just reloaded
Next week on VCDQUALITY.com Matrix Revolutions *SVCD* DVDRip TCF 2003

Adster
11-16-2003, 05:37 AM
will be out in janurary i heard on DVD

tarzan
11-16-2003, 05:37 AM
hehe,think i will pass on that one this time around and actualy buy the set when it does release for sale

Adster
11-16-2003, 05:41 AM
good old marketing scandels

tarzan
11-16-2003, 06:07 AM
good old marketing scandels

that&#39;s what they call the Wal Mart way
good ol retail ....gotta hate it

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 07:28 AM
i usually buy the movies i like enough or will watch enough... ill prolly buy the bundle if its a boxset but if not i think ill just get revolutions alone

slimboyfatz
11-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Listen.....its the sound of the WarnerBros. money peoples tills going &#39;Ching Ching&#39;....the trilogy has been about making money,money,money right from the start..just look at the original &#39;Matrix&#39; on DVD, here in the UK anyway they first released the movie on dvd..then brought out a version with an extra cd called &#39;matrix uncovered&#39; (or something like that)..then you could buy that extra cd on its own (still retailing at around £15.00 though)...then fast foward and you have &#39;reloaded&#39;...now am i the only one or did anyone else think the extra features, and just general dvd menus and such, for such a money making film (at the box office) were piss poor???...I&#39;m guessing they&#39;ll save all the &#39;best&#39; features for the &#39;Matrix trilogy&#39; gold laminated/diamond encrusted 3 disc edition...just watch&#33;&#33;&#33;

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by slimboyfatz@16 November 2003 - 08:01
Listen.....its the sound of the WarnerBros. money peoples tills going &#39;Ching Ching&#39;....the trilogy has been about making money,money,money right from the start..just look at the original &#39;Matrix&#39; on DVD, here in the UK anyway they first released the movie on dvd..then brought out a version with an extra cd called &#39;matrix uncovered&#39; (or something like that)..then you could buy that extra cd on its own (still retailing at around £15.00 though)...then fast foward and you have &#39;reloaded&#39;...now am i the only one or did anyone else think the extra features, and just general dvd menus and such, for such a money making film (at the box office) were piss poor???...I&#39;m guessing they&#39;ll save all the &#39;best&#39; features for the &#39;Matrix trilogy&#39; gold laminated/diamond encrusted 3 disc edition...just watch&#33;&#33;&#33;
they had the same thing here in the US its called The Matrix Revisited (whats with the RE&#39;s?) anyway i only bought reloaded because i like to have the real thing instead of bootlegs its just nioce to have

Gutter
11-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by tarzan@15 November 2003 - 21:34
if they come out with a box set, or let alone a "special edition" it had better have full audio commentary&#33;

The first matrix audio commentary was awful and reloaded&#39;s commentary was missing completely. I might be alone when I say this but I DO enjoy audio commentaries on films. I usually end up watching my DVDs three times over if it has a good commentary thru the film. I was very bummed out when i found out the copy of matrix reloaded i bought didn&#39;t have any commentary on the film. I&#39;m guessing the reason for this is that all that could have been involved in a commentary had too busy a schedule. I did enjoy some of the other "bonus features" especially the MTV movie award spoof. (Only because i don&#39;t subscribe/watch mtv) very funny though.

Hopefully if they do release it sooner than normal, I hope they can add something really enjoyable on the DVD.

:D

Stonecoldfreak1
11-16-2003, 08:27 AM
the only time i put on commentary is for tv shows especially cartoon ones because its hilarious when they go into character and dont get bleeped out

Gutter
11-16-2003, 01:31 PM
They could learn something from Fight Club&#39;s Special Edition

NeoTheOne
11-17-2003, 01:44 AM
well revolutions is gonna be a standalone 3 disc dvd and the box set will have m1 m revisited m2 m3 and the animatrix pictiching in around 69 to 75 dollars

Stonecoldfreak1
11-17-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by neotheone@17 November 2003 - 01:44
well revolutions is gonna be a standalone 3 disc dvd and the box set will have m1 m revisited m2 m3 and the animatrix pictiching in around 69 to 75 dollars
what are they gonna put on the third disc? music <_< theres no way it will be 3 discs