PDA

View Full Version : Getting caught and sued for uploading to DDL/Cyberlockers ?

eSTmNcU5
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi

Is it possible to get caught uploading copyrighted materials to file-sharing sites and get sued for that ? Do they log IP and content uploaded etc. ?

If it is possible, then how to prevent it ? Is a VPN enough ? Are there more "secure" cyberlockers that others (ie. file sharing sites that don't log anything, or are based in countries that don't enforce copyright protection) ?

Thanks in advance !

anon
02-09-2012, 01:23 AM
What they log depends on each hoster's privacy policy. You should read them and contact them if it doesn't answer your questions. There are some site who retain more information than what you'd consider healthy.

Using a VPN or proxy for uploading will probably be fine, unless they're really out to get you.

mmadude
02-09-2012, 02:26 AM
whats a cyberlocker?

anon
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
It's another term for file hosting services. I didn't know it either until I saw it used a lot in this forum.

mmadude
02-09-2012, 03:50 AM
weird name. actually sounds like an fbi type goverment task force.

megabyteme
02-09-2012, 03:58 AM
It CAN happen. Here is a worst-case scenario... http://filesharingtalk.com/content/1549-X-Men-Wolverine-Pirate-Sentenced-to-Year-in-Federal-Prison

zot
02-09-2012, 01:12 PM
It CAN happen. Here is a worst-case scenario... http://filesharingtalk.com/content/1549-X-Men-Wolverine-Pirate-Sentenced-to-Year-in-Federal-Prison
The irony is that Kim Dotcom thought that he would save his own bacon by serving up his customers.

whats a cyberlocker?
"Cyberlocker" - a term recently invented by the MPAA - is a complete misnomer, as it's a label the copyright industry slaps on sites containing unlocked, publicly available files.

The word "cyber" -although originally neutral- has come to be generably applied in a negative way; for example, cyber-crime, cyber-stalker, etc. (probably why the MPAA chose it)

eSTmNcU5
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Ouch. Poor dude :/ But uploading a movie before its release (or even filming it in a cinema) is really pushing it !

I guess if someone uploads only "underground"/old albums, put a password on all of them and share it only with his friends, and don't make any money in the process, the chances of getting sued are slim. But shit happens, the ways of Justice/FBI/anti-piracy groups are inscrutable.

Thanks for the answer !

anon
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
"Cyberlocker" - a term recently invented by the MPAA - is a complete misnomer, as it's a label the copyright industry slaps on sites containing unlocked, publicly available files.

A locker is where you put your stuff to pick it up later. A cyberlocker would be where you upload your files to retrieve them later. At least that's how I understood it...

hunkytrucker
02-09-2012, 05:56 PM
I had a pile of stuff removed recently by RAPIDSHARE that I shared on RETROFLIX ( R.I.P ). What amazes me is how thoroughly they managed to do 'the cleaning' ! All of the files were in .rar form of different sizes and most were protected by passwords. I guess they just worked-out with the logs who was downloading/sharing the material and removed it, even though they didn't have the certitude that it was copyrighted - w***kers !

CyberCitizen
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I had a pile of stuff removed recently by RAPIDSHARE that I shared on RETROFLIX ( R.I.P ). What amazes me is how thoroughly they managed to do 'the cleaning' ! All of the files were in .rar form of different sizes and most were protected by passwords. I guess they just worked-out with the logs who was downloading/sharing the material and removed it, even though they didn't have the certitude that it was copyrighted - w***kers !

They Weren't Labelled DVDRip Or S01E01 Something Like That? It Seems Alot Of Them Are Searching For Those Terms Used By File Sharers To Delete The Files. I Would Love To Put Up A Legitimate File I Created (Say An In House Training Video) & Label It Like That, Then If It Gets Deleted Complain Like Crazy. Cause Alot Of People Have Been Complaining That Their Legitimate Files Are Being Deleted.

hunkytrucker
02-10-2012, 11:44 AM

They Weren't Labelled DVDRip Or S01E01 Something Like That? It Seems Alot Of Them Are Searching For Those Terms Used By File Sharers To Delete The Files. I Would Love To Put Up A Legitimate File I Created (Say An In House Training Video) & Label It Like That, Then If It Gets Deleted Complain Like Crazy. Cause Alot Of People Have Been Complaining That Their Legitimate Files Are Being Deleted.

My first up-loads were the title or later ones, just the letters, I never used 'DVD rip' or 'XVID' etc. example 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' = FBDO ! Lol !

anon
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
My first up-loads were the title or later ones, just the letters, I never used 'DVD rip' or 'XVID' etc. example 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' = FBDO ! Lol !

I believe the best way to protect an upload is to put it inside a passworded RAR (make sure "encrypt file names" is on), give it an unattractive name like "summer photos 2011.rar", and use a link protector.

The problem is, there's at least a couple of hosters that don't take passworded archives.

esco123
02-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Is dropbox an answer?

bogoff
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
If you don't want to get caught - don't do it.

It is like saying if I shoot someone, but wear a mask, is it OK to do, as I might not get caught?

trogger
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
That might be the worst analogy i have ever read.

well at least you refrained from linking filesharing to terrorism or child molestation ....for now at least.

rdealer
02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Why pay when there are lots of free sites??