PDA

View Full Version : Weddings.

manker
02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Off to a funeral today, an elderly relative of my missus - so basically I'm just going for the beer.

I have occasion to wear suits more regularly than your average scouser but a funeral suit is different somehow. The monochromatic sharpness mixed with the intoxicating heightened sense of being alive gives rise to a certain playfulness, which is obviously important to downplay. At least initially. At the wake in the pub later, this mood permeates though everyone and a bad time is rarely had by anyone.

Each time I catch sight of my reflection I re-enact some scene involving Mr. Blonde - but only in my head. I'm sure everyone feels this way and I don't want to be the first to start humming 'Little Green Bag'.
It just isn't the done thing.

I think I prefer funerals to weddings by approximately a brazillion percent.

megabyteme
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM

My wife somehow talked me into attending a Russian wedding. It's like a regular one, but it is in gibberish, and there are like 500 things that go on before the actual "я делаю"s. This was roughly 5 years ago, but I somehow get the feeling that horrid event is still going on somewhere.

I love each member of my immediate family dearly, but I would kill, cook, and eat each one before I would attend another Russian wedding. Seriously.

Squeamous
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Off to a funeral today, an elderly relative of my missus - so basically I'm just going for the beer.

I have occasion to wear suits more regularly than your average scouser but a funeral suit is different somehow. The monochromatic sharpness mixed with the intoxicating heightened sense of being alive gives rise to a certain playfulness, which is obviously important to downplay. At least initially. At the wake in the pub later, this mood permeates though everyone and a bad time is rarely had by anyone.

Each time I catch sight of my reflection I re-enact some scene involving Mr. Blonde - but only in my head. I'm sure everyone feels this way and I don't want to be the first to start humming 'Little Green Bag'.

I thought you were Welsh :no:

Also, I have you down as more of a 'he don't tip' Mr Pink.

I know what you mean though, I'm always better dressed at funerals than weddings. I don't really understand what's required of wedding clothing. I once went for a job at Accessorise and as part of the job interview they asked me to pick a bunch of accessories for a woman going to a wedding. I went for a big floppy straw hat and beach bag, which was not well received and I was practically frogmarched out. Since then I've outraged at least half a dozen weddings in various outfits: turqoise backless cocktail dress, grey woolen 50s wiggle dress, silver velour cape. I just don't know how to do crass and jolly with style :(

Skiz
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM

That's like... the most poetic writing I've seen in a while.

On that note, I'm getting out of the house. Gonna take the pup to his favorite trail. brb.

manker
02-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Poetic :sick:

So yeah, the funeral was a blast. I got everyone playing Mrs. Effey (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/162001-Mrs-Effey?highlight=effey) and spent hours getting pished and trying not to be too smug :happy:

Also, see. mbm and Squeams don't like weddings either. I bet they both secretly like funerals.

manker
02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah and also; I am Welsh, Squeams, why would you assume I wasn't?
I'm missing something :ermm:

And if my personality traits were transposed into a Reservoir Dogs character, it would definitely be closest to Mr. Pink, although I've not given up on being awesome enough to be Mr. Blonde.
One day.

Squeamous
02-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah funerals are best. Have you noticed how much family muck gets raked up? :happy:

"I have occasion to wear suits more regularly than your average scouser"
~ :idunno:

Biggles
02-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah funerals are best. Have you noticed how much family muck gets raked up? :happy:

"I have occasion to wear suits more regularly than your average scouser"
~ :idunno:

I think Manker was referring to the frequency that scousers wear suits (although I haven't seen that pie chart so I'm bit lost on that one too).

Biggles
02-10-2012, 07:33 PM

I like black suits - I have a couple of silvery grey ones so as not to appear totally monochromatic but I definitely prefer black. I think I count better in black :idunno:

Squeamous
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
oic! I think he's referring to the natural courtroom habitat if your endemic scouser lulz very funny!

You could be Mr White, Les x

Biggles
02-10-2012, 08:26 PM
oic! I think he's referring to the natural courtroom habitat if your endemic scouser lulz very funny!

You could be Mr White, Les x

One of these days I must watch that film :idunno:

Squeamous
02-10-2012, 10:03 PM
You live a sheltered life Lessa

Something Else
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Poor Les. He's so Sheriff #3 (another Reservoir Dogs character) :unsure: