PDA

View Full Version : Rapidshare and privacy

procerus
02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I have asked Rapidshare do they record my IP address when I download files from theirs servers. They sent me this answer:

We currently record how much data is being downloaded from IP addresses and on what day its being downloaded. This information is logged for 90 days. There is no log recording what files users have downloaded.

Does this means that you can't get caught if you download files from Rapidshare. If they don't record your IP address, they don't have any proof, right?

Sorry if there's any spelling/grammar mistakes.

heiska
02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Yea that's right. Think about it, why would they even want to know exactly what files an IP address has downloaded? They have some very good reasons to not log that shit.

anon
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Yea that's right. Think about it, why would they even want to know exactly what files an IP address has downloaded?

I think it was required by Swiss law, but don't quote me on that.

heiska
02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Yea that's right. Think about it, why would they even want to know exactly what files an IP address has downloaded?

I think it was required by Swiss law, but don't quote me on that.

Sources? It's illegal (http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-monitors-banned-from-operating-in-home-country-100909/) to collect ips of p2p (!=rapidshare) users in Switzerland, I think it would be pretty weird if rapidshare would be required to log that info knowing the strict privacy laws over there.

procerus
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
So it is totally safe to download from Rapidshare?

zot
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
The only reason why Rapidshare and other file hosts keep track of an account's download bandwidth and log IPs of downloaders is to prevent abuse -- like the kind that unauthorized account resellers commit. Usenet providers (especially ones that offer unlimited bandwidth accounts) do the same thing, for the same reason.

But more to the point, there is nothing illegal about downloading unauthorized copyrighted material -- it is uploading - and uploading alone - that gets people in trouble.

Bittorrent and other P2Ps upload as they download, which is what makes them dangerous.

bogoff
02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
There used to be a page on RS that showed you traffic usage along with the IP of that usage - I'm no longer a premium member so I don't know if that still exists.

trogger
02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
So it is totally safe to download from Rapidshare?

Yes, unless they are flat out lying about their ip logging policy.

uploading to rapidshare is riskier as they state that they do log ip's of uploaders.

it's a pity most file lockers won't state exactly what they log, hotfile we know logs uploaders AND downloaders(which makes them a no no in my book) and rapidshare state they don't log downloaders but most of the others don't give clear policies on what they log.

bogoff
02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Don't forget, just because Rapidshare isn't logging it, doesn't mean someone else isn't further up the line.

procerus
02-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Thank you. I have heard that Wupload don't log IP's of downloaders, but I'm not 100% sure.

trogger
02-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Don't forget, just because Rapidshare isn't logging it, doesn't mean someone else isn't further up the line.

Not sure what you mean by that?

It's not like a torrent where the ip is publicly announced, how would third parties be able to log the ip's and match them to individual downloads?

rdealer
02-19-2012, 05:35 PM
It helps to use a P2P filter like the emule list.

anon
02-19-2012, 05:52 PM
It helps to use a P2P filter like the emule list.

It helps to read the thread before you comment on it.