PDA

View Full Version : New Astraweb plans

sandman_1
02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Unlimted at 10mbps max for $20/3months

1TB block for $50

koolfaze
02-15-2012, 09:36 PM
1tb $50 looks attractive. 1.2MBs for less than $7. It still looks like paypal is down for them.

PastTense
02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
How good are they? Are they the best? How often do you have to use a fill backup?...

koolfaze
02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
They are probably the best according to other posts on the forums because of the no DMCA takedowns. But it could work against them as its illegal if you dont follow through with DMCA. I use newsdemon/highwinds ($8 unlimited) with a 10gb blocknews. It's been working great. I've been meaning to want to switch over to Astraweb but it like $15 for unlimited everything.

cooldude75ph
02-16-2012, 01:05 AM
@sandman_1: thanks for the heads up! :D

heiska
02-16-2012, 11:47 PM
They are probably the best according to other posts on the forums because of the no DMCA takedowns. But it could work against them as its illegal if you dont follow through with DMCA. I use newsdemon/highwinds ($8 unlimited) with a 10gb blocknews. It's been working great. I've been meaning to want to switch over to Astraweb but it like $15 for unlimited everything.

Nah, it's $11 month or $96/year for unlimited.
http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html or http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=zgufplhxfr2cwsw

btw that's an affiliate link but I couldn't find any non-affiliate $96/y special links.

koolfaze
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM

It's $8. Cancel your subscription and it will ask if you want to stay for $8/month (not an annual contract) for the rest of life or one more month at $5 or cancel.

heiska
02-17-2012, 02:46 AM

It's $8. Cancel your subscription and it will ask if you want to stay for $8/month (not an annual contract) for the rest of life or one more month at $5 or cancel.

cool info bro.

Killifish
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
They are probably the best according to other posts on the forums...
I cannot recommend Astraweb.

I switched from Giganews to Astraweb for the price, but I just dropped Astraweb because of too many incomplete posts in the 320+ day range. Astraweb knows about the issue. I didn't signup for incomplete posts, so I am voting with my money. Unfortunately, I bought a 1 year plan from Astraweb, but they want to switch me to a monthly plan before they drop me so they can charge me more for the 45 days I've had an account with them.

Funkin'
02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I just saw the 1TB for $50 myself. Considering that all I use are block account, I personally find this to be an amazing fucking deal.

sandman_1
02-19-2012, 01:58 AM
They are probably the best according to other posts on the forums...
I cannot recommend Astraweb.

I switched from Giganews to Astraweb for the price, but I just dropped Astraweb because of too many incomplete posts in the 320+ day range. Astraweb knows about the issue. I didn't signup for incomplete posts, so I am voting with my money. Unfortunately, I bought a 1 year plan from Astraweb, but they want to switch me to a monthly plan before they drop me so they can charge me more for the 45 days I've had an account with them.

Hey if it sucks for you, can I use your 1 year subscription? I mean if you aren't going to use it why waste it right.

Personally I don't have hardly any problems with Astraweb. Good luck with Giganews and their overpriced plans and DMCA take downs.

Hypatia
02-19-2012, 07:07 AM
And i cant recommend giganews\highwinds

Because of 100% data loss on the majority of openly uploaded under their full titles console games on all retention range + damaged HBO(to various extent) + not safe uploading + you never know what they are going to start deleting next.
I wouldnt sign up for this :lol:

In fact i cant recommend any single provider without having a block account as backup

Drake
02-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Based on my very recent experience with Astraweb, I cannot recommend them. I dumped Astraweb because of spotty incompletes that they are well aware of but don't seem to care about and a Helpdesk that I can't say is very "warm and fuzzy." There are better service providers for the money. By the way, be sure to read their "refund" policy if plan to sign up.

Why would want another Astraweb account if you already have one? My guess is that you work for them and your job is hype Astraweb in the forums.

Hypatia
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Why would want another Astraweb account if you already have one? My guess is that you work for them and your job is hype Astraweb in the forums.

rofl
ya,ya. sure thing , i do "hype" them a lot lol

who is the troll here? :D

My dear boy, i have astraweb, newshosting, supernews and blocknews.

heiska
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Based on your signup date (02-20-12 (today)) and two (2) posts which both bash Astraweb, it seems to me like someone else (someone not Hypatia) here might have a hidden agenda too.

cola
02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
At least he isn't spamming us with his Highwinds reseller links.

shakezilla
02-26-2012, 06:02 AM

anyone else try this does it really work?? they will offer you monthly for 8$??

glendower
02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
At least he isn't spamming us with his Highwinds reseller links.

yes its refreshing for a change.

3Bees
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
IMO aside the fact that Astraweb are reported to be less cooperative with DMCA's they are very reliable with groups I have accessed for TV, Movies and the odd 360 game. I found newshosting + usenetservers who I soon got rid of very unreliable with many incomplete files for posts even less than 10 days old. It all boils down to what your grabbin at the end of the day I suppose. This offer seems fair but I believe it's best to pay month by month. Even if it does end up costing more it still pays for it's self than the retail cost would of.