PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials for setting up proxies with uTorrent?

rocky12
02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Hi,

I contacted someone on a different forum about what's the plan for torrents in the future. He told me that we will be using more proxies.

I have never tried setting up a proxy until a few days ago. I would like to do this for free. In uTorrent, I tried setting the IP address, and the port, and I also checked peer to peer exchange. Apply the settings, and my download under tracker is timed out.

Could you someone please post a full complete tutorial that does this for free with what sites to get the proxy servers?

Do I also need to setup a DNS, and a VPN? If so, would those be covered in a complete tutorial?

Thank you!

ajsi
02-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I contacted someone on a different forum about what's the plan for torrents in the future. He told me that we will be using more proxies.

I have never tried setting up a proxy until a few days ago. I would like to do this for free. In uTorrent, I tried setting the IP address, and the port, and I also checked peer to peer exchange. Apply the settings, and my download under tracker is timed out.

Could you someone please post a full complete tutorial that does this for free with what sites to get the proxy servers?

Do I also need to setup a DNS, and a VPN? If so, would those be covered in a complete tutorial?

Thank you!
Peer to peer exchange has nothing to do with using a proxy server in utorrent afaik. Are you sure you selected the correct type of proxy in the utorrent settings?

anon
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
My guess is that he's confusing peer-to-peer connections with PEX.

You don't need a tutorial but uTorrent's manual. Find a SOCKS or HTTPS proxy that allows unrestricted connections. That will work.

rocky12
02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
My guess is that he's confusing peer-to-peer connections with PEX.

You don't need a tutorial but uTorrent's manual. Find a SOCKS or HTTPS proxy that allows unrestricted connections. That will work.

http://www.google.com/search?q=socks+proxy+unrestricted+connections&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That is about the closest I came for what you told me to look for.

anon
02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
http://megasocks.blogspot.com/
http://proxiesking.blogspot.com/
http://socks-world.blogspot.com/
http://www.socks24.org/
http://sock.kteen.net/

Just some links off my bookmarks.

rocky12
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
http://megasocks.blogspot.com/
http://proxiesking.blogspot.com/
http://socks-world.blogspot.com/
http://www.socks24.org/
http://sock.kteen.net/

Just some links off my bookmarks.

I must be doing something wrong, sir?

I tried this site: http://megasocks.blogspot.com/

I tried the first one in the list even the colon with the port. After the colon I put that port from the list you gave me, and put into the uTorrent port box. The port box default is set to 8080. I left all settings on default. The only setting I changed under the proxy connection was placed a check next to peer to peer exchange. I set the proxy type to SOCK 5, and downloads went all the way slow. What am I doing wrong?

rocky12
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
anon,

I finally got it working! May you please tell me what settings you have in uTorrent for the SOCKS5 connection proxy?

ajsi
02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
anon,

I finally got it working! May you please tell me what settings you have in uTorrent for the SOCKS5 connection proxy?
You just put the proxy details into the proxy server fields under utorrent's preferences/connection tab, and select socks5 as the type of the proxy. That should be all you need to do... Or that is all I need to do.

rocky12
02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you! Will that help us prevent the future when the FBI, and MPAA, and RIAA wants to stop us?

anon,

You just put the proxy details into the proxy server fields under utorrent's preferences/connection tab, and select socks5 as the type of the proxy. That should be all you need to do... Or that is all I need to do.

ajsi
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Thank you! Will that help us prevent the future when the FBI, and MPAA, and RIAA wants to stop us?

You just put the proxy details into the proxy server fields under utorrent's preferences/connection tab, and select socks5 as the type of the proxy. That should be all you need to do... Or that is all I need to do.Well, it certainly won't help the people providing the content when the authorities want to step in

anon
02-16-2012, 10:23 PM

Nope. Public proxies are far from a magic shield.

And remember doing this makes you unconnectable.

rocky12
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
So, I won't be able to connect by doing this? What are some free private proxies that will stop them? Or any proxies that are free that will stop them?

ajsi
02-16-2012, 10:53 PM
This guy is lost. Somebody call the FBI.

When you are unconnectable, you won't be able to connect to other people that are also unconnectable. Say you are leeching a file with only one seeder, who is unconnectable. You won't be able to connect to him, thus get any data at all...

// If you want to read up on it, this page seems to have some well written info about it - http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/How_to_become_connectable

anon
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
What are some free private proxies that will stop them? Or any proxies that are free that will stop them?

Pay for a good VPN. There's no such thing as a free lunch. :)

rocky12
02-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Since you have posted that link. I have been honestly reading it. I do admit I learn a lot slower then normal since my IQ falls below 70.

Here's the main problem I have along with questions. I don't have a router. I have a DSL modem only. The make and model is SurfBoard SB5101.

1.) I am using a Windows Firewall. I have Windows 7. Can I still become connectable? If so, the exact steps would be helpful.

2.) I am downloading torrents from Demonoid using uTorrent connected to that sock5 proxy. I click on tracker. Everything is not allowed. However, the tracker for Demonoid has a connection timed out error that I noticed. I thought it was working, but it's not working.

3.) For the firewall way. Do I need a Static IP. If so, how do I forward ports to that IP? Do I use a single port? Or a port range? Do I use the same port for that socks proxy?

I'm really sorry that I learn slower then everyone else. I honestly don't mean that.

This guy is lost. Somebody call the FBI.

When you are unconnectable, you won't be able to connect to other people that are also unconnectable. Say you are leeching a file with only one seeder, who is unconnectable. You won't be able to connect to him, thus get any data at all...

// If you want to read up on it, this page seems to have some well written info about it - http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/How_to_become_connectable

anon
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
You don't have much trouble here, because there's no way to be connectable using a SOCKS proxy. It (the proxy) will receive the packets meant for you, but it doesn't know what to do with them because "proxifying" only works one way, from you to the proxy, and not reversed, so it'll discard them. There's no firewall rule that can solve this. If you wish to hide your IP while keeping connectability, you must use a VPN service with port forwarding or dedicated IPs. There are no free ones that support that.

Lack of connectability isn't a tremendously serious issue - uploading and downloading will still work, but as ajsi rightly stated, it can impair speeds and prevent you from keeping a good ratio. So it's much better to be connectable.

rocky12
02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Can I ask another question?

1.) Should I set the proxy to none, and don't use them?

2.) What are we doing for the future to keep the torrents alive, so no more sites won't get shut down?

3.) What torrent site do you use to get your music? The only private site I use it Demonoid, and the rest are public. I would like to get into What.CD, but I think that's a little to hard for me? I don't even have anyone that could invite me. Honestly, I probably won't pass the interview. I heard there's an interview. I'm kind of slow at learning. So, what music torrent sites do you use?

You don't have much trouble here, because there's no way to be connectable using a SOCKS proxy. It (the proxy) will receive the packets meant for you, but it doesn't know what to do with them because "proxifying" only works one way, from you to the proxy, and not reversed, so it'll discard them. There's no firewall rule that can solve this. If you wish to hide your IP while keeping connectability, you must use a VPN service with port forwarding or dedicated IPs. There are no free ones that support that.

Lack of connectability isn't a tremendously serious issue - uploading and downloading will still work, but as ajsi rightly stated, it can impair speeds and prevent you from keeping a good ratio. So it's much better to be connectable.

anon
02-17-2012, 01:01 AM
1.) Should I set the proxy to none, and don't use them?

Now you're informed on the ups and downs of it, that's your choice. I personally don't use any kind of proxies for torrenting, but that's because 1. I use other means of downloading mostly and 2. I live in a country where the RIAA and MPAA aren't a problem. Note another downside of these proxies is that private trackers do not allow their usage.

2.) What are we doing for the future to keep the torrents alive, so no more sites won't get shut down?

I don't think the average downloader can do much. That's probably up to how the people that operate trackers can deal with whatever the copyright mafia comes up with next.

3.) What torrent site do you use to get your music? The only private site I use it Demonoid, and the rest are public. I would like to get into What.CD, but I think that's a little to hard for me? I don't even have anyone that could invite me. Honestly, I probably won't pass the interview. I heard there's an interview. I'm kind of slow at learning. So, what music torrent sites do you use?

I don't use trackers for music. If you're looking for one, What is probably as good as it gets. The interview's easier than you'd think.

rocky12
02-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Could you recommend any P2P network outside of torrents that's specific to music albums, but not single songs? The one that comes to my mind would be SoulSeek. Do you know of any others that would be highly recommended over SS? I tried DC++, but it's not for me.

BTW, thank you for your help!

rocky12
02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
anon,

I understand that dedicated IPs are not free. I have the top 5 best of VPN services in the US.

http://bestvpn.co/best-free-us-vpn

Will you look at that site to make sure they don't offer, or do offer dedicated IPs for free? I have no billing method to pay for anything, so that leaves me to get it for free. I really hope you can read that site I gave?

Now you're informed on the ups and downs of it, that's your choice. I personally don't use any kind of proxies for torrenting, but that's because 1. I use other means of downloading mostly and 2. I live in a country where the RIAA and MPAA aren't a problem. Note another downside of these proxies is that private trackers do not allow their usage.

I don't think the average downloader can do much. That's probably up to how the people that operate trackers can deal with whatever the copyright mafia comes up with next.

I don't use trackers for music. If you're looking for one, What is probably as good as it gets. The interview's easier than you'd think.

anon
02-17-2012, 05:49 PM
They don't. The only free service that ever did pretty much collapsed under its own load.

islandtime
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the links!

rocky12
02-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi, besides getting a VPN service. Are there any other ways you can recommend that would be free, so that the Feds won't know what I'm doing on the Internet? Or is a VPN dedicated IP the only option? I would like to be secure, and avoid throttling speeds.

They don't. The only free service that ever did pretty much collapsed under its own load.

http://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-proxy-bittorrent-110618/

anon, can you take a look at that site by reading it? I would appreciate it. I don't know if you would recommend this? Based on this whole thread on how I don't want anyone to know what I'm doing. I know you recommended a dedicated IP for me. I know some torrent proxies are friendly, and some are not. Do you recommend BTGuard for what I want to do? Would that be a yes? Or would that be a no where it won't do what I want?

ajsi
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
So you are just worried about somebody finding out that you torrent stuff? Just don't download from public trackers, like ever, maybe use a program like Peerblock or Peerguardian, and you will be ok to torrent...

And remember, if your ISP will really want to find out what you are doing on the internet, they will find it out, white hat stuff or black hat stuff...

rocky12
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Here's an alternative since I don't want to pay, or even get a second connection. I don't know if a tutorial will help me, and I'm not sure if it would be recommended? It would be to build my own VPN service with Static (dedicated) IP. That would be my project. How do I do it? I would find it interesting.

BTW, what section of the categories can I post to find out why I don't see "send PM" in either my profile, or someone else profile? I don't know where to make that thread at?

ajsi
02-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Here's an alternative since I don't want to pay, or even get a second connection. I don't know if a tutorial will help me, and I'm not sure if it would be recommended? It would be to build my own VPN service with Static (dedicated) IP. That would be my project. How do I do it? I would find it interesting.

BTW, what section of the categories can I post to find out why I don't see "send PM" in either my profile, or someone else profile? I don't know where to make that thread at?
I believe that users ranked n00b cannot send or receive PMs. Don't remember the requirements to advance to the next rank though. Wait for anon :D

rocky12
02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Thank you for your answer!

I believe that users ranked n00b cannot send or receive PMs. Don't remember the requirements to advance to the next rank though. Wait for anon :D

anon
02-19-2012, 04:09 AM

Haha, they've changed quite a few times since I joined, so it's natural to get confused. But it's 15 days and 5 posts according the sticky, which must be up to date.

Your other questions will have to wait until I'm less tired to think. In the meantime you can try and make some judgement of your own based on what you already know. :idunno:

rocky12
02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
anon,

I don't even know where to begin or end on how to build a VPN. That's like if someone want to go down to their local bomb depot, and pick up a supply of TNT, and then have a project building a nuclear. I don't know how to build a VPN. Do I need a fuse? LOL. I guess I'm a typical comedian. I can wait until your less tired.

Do you mean that the PM will be enabled in 15 days? I happened to be in your profile. I guess it's off limits for us to PM mods, or unless we have a problem? Alright, I'll try not to PM you, or unless you want me too.

Did you read my last reply? Do you recommend building a VPN? If so, will that make me anynonmous, and are there tutorials for building one? Also, what type of VPN would be building?

anon
02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
anon, can you take a look at that site by reading it? I would appreciate it. I don't know if you would recommend this? Based on this whole thread on how I don't want anyone to know what I'm doing. I know you recommended a dedicated IP for me. I know some torrent proxies are friendly, and some are not. Do you recommend BTGuard for what I want to do? Would that be a yes? Or would that be a no where it won't do what I want?

BTGuard's proxies will have the same problems we've already discussed. Their VPN service I'm not familiar with, but considering it's marketed at BitTorrent users, it must surely support port forwarding at least. You can always ask if they don't list it in their homepage.

anon,

I don't even know where to begin or end on how to build a VPN.

You don't need to "build" anything, unless you're planning to rent a server and install the required software there. Usually paid services offer two kinds of VPNs: PPTP and OpenVPN. PPTP is easier to set up and comes built-in to Windows, but OpenVPN supports stronger encryption, and is more secure and configurable in general. PPTP only needs you to add a "remote connection" with the username and password you'll be given when you sign up for the service. Then you establish the connection and are done. OpenVPN requires that you install some software and then copy some files that identify you as a customer, but other than that it's not any harder to use, and is bundled with a nice GUI to (dis)connect and configure basic settings.

Also note that I mentioned two options for being connectable - dedicated IPs and port forwarding. The former gives you a WAN IP address from another country (it's roughly as if your Internet was hooked directly to a provider there), while the latter will give you a LAN IP and forwards some ports for you, usually determined by the last number of your assigned address.

I hope that's what you wanted to know.

Do you mean that the PM will be enabled in 15 days?

15 days since you joined this forum.

I happened to be in your profile.

Then you noticed the beautiful color scheme I sto-, I mean, created.

I guess it's off limits for us to PM mods

I'm not a mod... I'd also prefer that you don't PM me for questions like these, because it breaks the point of running a public forum. :)

rocky12
02-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Thank you for that information. I know I am slow at learning. I do know you gave me two options. I can't buy a dedicated IP, but if I want the other option which is port forwarding, will that be free? Are there any tutorials for setting it up?

Also, what software firewall do you prefer, and/or recommend?

anon
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I can't buy a dedicated IP, but if I want the other option which is port forwarding, will that be free?

If you mean whether it comes at no extra cost, then that depends. Read their features page and send an e-mail if unsure. This is the kind of stuff you have to find out before paying.

Are there any tutorials for setting it up?

They'll tell you how.

Also, what software firewall do you prefer, and/or recommend?

Try Privatefirewall.