PDA

View Full Version : What P2P for music albums

rocky12
02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
What P2P, or public torrent tracker does everyone use for music albums, and not single songs? I know of SoulSeek, but are there any highly recommended ones that suppose to be better then SS, or even torrents? I'm not looking for individual songs. As for torrents that are not public. Well, that would be what.cd. That's kind of hard for me to get in. Are there any P2P clients that would be similar to what.cd?

stan
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Using Chrome sign up at Rutracker .org .Russian torrent site.

You will need Chrome for its auto translate .

rocky12
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
How do I setup Chrome for its auto translation?

stan
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
No need .It just does it when it sees Russian or any other language. As far as searching goes. A search box is a search box . Just type in say . Eminem mp3 or Eminem flac .

rocky12
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you, Stan! I'll look into it.

I installed Google Chrome, and I left all settings on default. I went over to rutracker.org, and it wasn't seeing it in English. It was all in Russia.

stan
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Strange. Does the right click > translate to English work?

rocky12
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Strange. Does the right click > translate to English work?

I finally got it working. I'm a member not. It's pretty cool. Is this suppose to be a music tracker site in kind of the same way as of what.CD? So, just type a name into the search box then set the search type to all topics? It looks pretty cool. I always wanted one of these torrent trackers. Oh, can I download an album from that site into uTorrent? Or is there a certain way to do this since that's a Russian site?

Thank you for recommending it! Thank you for your help!

stan
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Last time I looked it was sign up at a certain time of the day. Not a dedicated music tracker . A huge general tracker but forum based . As a guess more music than Whatcd. The big difference is that Whatcd is very hard to seed back to . A friend seeded 5 TB back last year on a single INXS torrent ( mp3 discography) . Yeah . Just use utorrent .

anon
02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Last time I looked it was sign up at a certain time of the day.

I remember that restriction, but I think it's lifted now.

rocky12
02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Last time I looked it was sign up at a certain time of the day.

I remember that restriction, but I think it's lifted now.

anon,

I receive email notifications by email, so I read your entire post with the proper quotes. Why did you edit your post? Honestly, yes, I'm looking for similar trackers. How similar is the Russian tracker to What.CD? Would Russia carry out a larger database for music then What.CD? Or does what carry more then Russia? Or are they both equal? I know What is a music tracker.

anon
02-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Damn ninjas. :ninja:

I was going to be nitpicky but the question you asked could be interpreted on a more broad way, i.e. "are there any P2P clients with a collection of music similar to what What.cd has?" So I removed that from my post.

Then the thread shifted to how great RuTracker is (and it is awesome). To answer your current question, I'm too lazy to do number crunching and compare both, but RuTracker's music selection is huge, and ratio-keeping very easy.

stan
02-17-2012, 07:03 PM
If you are looking for a single specific album then Whatcd is the better choice. Take the interview to join.

http://www.whatinterviewprep.com/

If you are looking to download hundreds or thousands of albums then Rutracker. Whatcd is very hard to keep a ratio on . Your grandchildren will still be seeding them back.

rocky12
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Ratio? How come I'm always having the problems? It won't upload. It download fine. I don't want to get banned from that tracker. I just got done opening up ports with the Win 7 Firewall for both TCP inbound, and UDP outbound? Guess what? It still says seeding, but it won't seed. I ran like a million speed tests using uTorrent.

Do you use uTorrent? Or do you use something different for a PC?

Damn ninjas. :ninja:

I was going to be nitpicky but the question you asked could be interpreted on a more broad way, i.e. "are there any P2P clients with a collection of music similar to what What.cd has?" So I removed that from my post.

Then the thread shifted to how great RuTracker is (and it is awesome). To answer your current question, I'm too lazy to do number crunching and compare both, but RuTracker's music selection is huge, and ratio-keeping very easy.

anon
02-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Ratio? How come I'm always having the problems? It won't upload. It download fine. I don't want to get banned from that tracker. I just got done opening up ports with the Win 7 Firewall for both TCP inbound, and UDP outbound? Guess what? It still says seeding, but it won't seed. I ran like a million speed tests using uTorrent.

Please note seeding isn't the same as uploading. Seeding is the mere fact of serving a complete copy of a torrent for others to download from you. Uploading is well, moving data to others.

If there are few peer connections, your client may not be able to determine if it's really connectable or not. Use this site (http://connect.majestyc.net/) to check. If it says you're fine, you're fine. If you're using a router you also need to forward your ports there!

Do you use uTorrent? Or do you use something different for a PC?

For when I use torrents, uTorrent it is, yes. Why? I've converted my netbook into a sort of NAS, and that's where I do all my downloading these days. The files are then transferred to my desktop via FTP. The laptop only has 1 gig of RAM, so I need to minimize resource usage as much as possible. Despite the problems in recent versions, uTorrent is light and I've been using it for years, so I stuck to that.

There are other good clients, however.

rocky12
02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
It says my connection is OK. It says it in green. So, when it says seeding, how can I get a ratio?

I need a can of Cope. Someone was going to get a can, but the store is out of stock, so I have to wait to go to a different store. Yes, I love to dip. That's my activity. Lol. I have to see a GI in a few weeks because my inside is all messed up from acid/gas.

anon
02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
It says my connection is OK. It says it in green. So, when it says seeding, how can I get a ratio?

Good. You're connectable. Now you must simply leave the torrent running and wait for someone to snatch those files from you. RuTracker has so many members that if you do this long enough, you're semi-guaranteed to upload back.

rocky12
02-18-2012, 12:21 AM
My ratios are still set at 0's. Will that change? It's been set at seeding for a few hours now.

Good. You're connectable. Now you must simply leave the torrent running and wait for someone to snatch those files from you. RuTracker has so many members that if you do this long enough, you're semi-guaranteed to upload back.

anon
02-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Just give it time. If you downloaded rare stuff, you aren't going to upload back immediately. It'll take some time, but it's RuTracker, so if you're patient it'll happen.

Another tip: don't download more than 5 gigs (I think it was 5), because then global ratio requirements (a.k.a. "keep your total ratio above 0.3 or we'll kick you in X weeks") start applying. Use this grace region to build some buffer so that you'll be fine when you get past the 5GB barrier.

rocky12
02-18-2012, 01:38 AM
I can't download more then 5 gigs? What? I'll download the whole music database. I don't know how to tell, and I don't know how to keep above the 0.3 mark. I honestly don't want to get kicked. Are there any work arounds for me to better understand?

Just give it time. If you downloaded rare stuff, you aren't going to upload back immediately. It'll take some time, but it's RuTracker, so if you're patient it'll happen.

Another tip: don't download more than 5 gigs (I think it was 5), because then global ratio requirements (a.k.a. "keep your total ratio above 0.3 or we'll kick you in X weeks") start applying. Use this grace region to build some buffer so that you'll be fine when you get past the 5GB barrier.

anon
02-18-2012, 01:53 AM
I can't download more then 5 gigs?

Not without a good ratio. As long as yours is above 0.3 (i.e. you've uploaded 30% of what you've downloaded), you can grab all the music you want.

What? I'll download the whole music database.

If you don't mind the consequences, go ahead.

I don't know how to tell,

Click on your username at the top of any page in the tracker. That will take you to your profile where you can check how much you've transferred today, yesterday and overall.

and I don't know how to keep above the 0.3 mark.

I told you above :unsure:

Progress
02-18-2012, 02:06 AM
@Rocky12:: Just download and seed because RuTracker has been on freeleech (only uploaded is counted, downloaded amounts are ignored)since feb of last year and probably will never end. so relax just download and the most important seed.

rocky12
02-18-2012, 02:10 AM
I think I'm good! I rather get that 0.3. I don't want consequences. I want the entire Grateful Dead discography. Please navagate to www.deaddisc.com, and on the left is the discography. I would like that whole database. That's a lot of music. Jerry Garcia. I'll wait until I have a minimum of 0.3 ratio.

Now, it's time for some Cope. I don't want to get banned from trackers, forums, and so on.

Thank you so very much, sir!

@Rocky12:: Just download and seed because RuTracker has been on freeleech (only uploaded is counted, downloaded amounts are ignored)since feb of last year and probably will never end. so relax just download and the most important seed.

anon
02-18-2012, 02:27 AM
RuTracker has been on freeleech (only uploaded is counted, downloaded amounts are ignored)since feb of last year and probably will never end.

Wow, is that so? I've downloaded a few of their files since then, but never noticed download wasn't being counted.

LazyGuy
02-18-2012, 04:41 AM

i was under the impression that RuTracker is ratioless? (just keep seeding and dont H&R)
ratio less than 0.3 doesn't mean a ban, but limits the number of downloads per day
or at least thats what i read in the FAQ when i joined
unless something changed

its the best tracker for anyone
but also the least used because of the language trouble

esco123
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
hmm ill check out rutracker, didn't know about it being good for music

stan
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Unusually for Rutracker there is no discography . However there are 107 Grateful Dead torrents . 41 are in flac .

esco123
02-18-2012, 02:06 PM
don't like the layout of tracker but alot of stuff on there, nevermind

stan
02-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Forum based trackers are a little different.

rocky12
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Forum based trackers are a little different.

Stan,

Hi, how are you? Do you by any possible chance have a uTorrent tutorial for tweaking every setting/options? For example, DHT, or how many max connections, and the max downloads/uploads. Does a tutorial like that exist? Sorry for the off topic.

stan
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I must defer to anon on that subject . I am but a candle to his sun .

anon
02-19-2012, 02:22 AM
i was under the impression that RuTracker is ratioless? (just keep seeding and dont H&R)
ratio less than 0.3 doesn't mean a ban, but limits the number of downloads per day
or at least thats what i read in the FAQ when i joined
unless something changed

When I joined (early 2010), I passed their rules through Google Translate and they seemed to suggest the typical "you're out if your ratio dips below X for Y days" rule. I acted accordingly and haven't faced a problem so far.

I thought the number of downloads per day was already limited and you needed "TBs" (time bonuses, not terabytes), of which I have a handful thousand, to download more torrents every day. Oh well... :blink:

don't like the layout of tracker but alot of stuff on there, nevermind

The layout isn't that bad, and you'd be surprised at what can be found on their archives. They're usually among the very first sites I check when I look for something rare. It'll be there around 60% of the time.

Hi, how are you? Do you by any possible chance have a uTorrent tutorial for tweaking every setting/options? For example, DHT, or how many max connections, and the max downloads/uploads. Does a tutorial like that exist? Sorry for the off topic.

There's a tutorial in this forum, under the aptly-named tutorial section. I've found the speed guide, an actually good addition in the newer versions of uTorrent, also does a good job at configuring things for you.

dante_0816
03-01-2012, 07:34 AM
thanks. it's a good idea, :)

DeadPoet
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I thought the number of downloads per day was already limited and you needed "TBs" (time bonuses, not terabytes), of which I have a handful thousand, to download more torrents every day. Oh well... :blink:

There is no more time bonuses. You can grab 100 torrents per day.
hxxp://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3956322

anon
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Oooh, neat. Thanks for the info, DeadPoet. :)

I see they also got away with that table which showed how much you uploaded yesterday and the day before that...