PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a seedbox?

rocky12
02-19-2012, 02:13 PM
I was reading info about what a seedbox is. I believe it makes the download/upload faster, right, and some torrent sites might require a seedbox?

Is it a software that we download to use it? Is it free? Is it paid? Or is it hardware? I don't have a bank account, or even credit cards to buy one if it's paid.

Does people on this forum recommend it? What is required to use one? I know I was reading about speeds that's required. I have 5 megs down/1 meg upload. Are those speeds speeds decent? I have DSL though my local company. I am looking for more info on this.

Thank you!

ajsi
02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Where did you read about it that you don't know if it is software or hardware?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox - If you read at least this wikipedia article, you will learn everything you need to know about what a seedbox is.
There is also a link to dedicated server in that article, you might wanna read that too.

It is not free of course, though you might find some providers that offer trial/testing accounts for limited time. I believe that some trial accounts require a credit card nevertheless, just to see that you really might be a potential customer.

What is required to use it depends on whether you sign up for a seedbox, where the provider might set up everything for you and give you access just to the torrent client, or for dedicated server, where you will have to set up almost everything yourself. Your internet speed has nothing to do with the ability to use a seedbox. Remember, the server (seedbox) is not located at your home (it's a remote server, it doesn't use your internet connection), it is often not even in your country, so your internet speed has nothing to do with it. As long as you are connected to the internet, you will be able to access your seedbox.

rocky12
02-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I understand what you wrote. I am on a fixed disability income, so it's hard for me. I'll tell you what's even harder. I live in group home, and they are responsible for holding my funds. I don't live on my own, so I just can't get the money and order. I would like too, but then I'll go broke. I learn slower. I have an IQ below normal. If I tell them that I want a seedbox, I could bet it won't happen. I'm not getting them my business, so I could get one. They will be asking why do I need that kind of money, and eventually they will find out what I bought.

I would like to use something like that to boost to get me a good ratio. What I understand that a seedbox suppose to work where they could get those ratios? I could be wrong. Are seedboxes the only way to go? Or are there alternatives? I highly doubt there will be alternatives, but I'm only asking. If there would be an alternative then would it be a software alternative? Or something similar? Can you please help me finding something similar instead of a seedbox to get that 1:1, or better ratio? I do appreciate it if you could tell me what's out there, and the best solution.

anon
02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Are seedboxes the only way to go? Or are there alternatives?

There's always the way it was meant to be - seeding through your home connection...

hungrylilboy
02-20-2012, 05:05 AM
There's always the way it was meant to be - seeding through your home connection...

and multiply it by 3 using some modified client. :naughty:

anon
02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
and multiply it by 3 using some modified client. :naughty:

Oh, you :wub: