PDA

View Full Version : Bibliotik is coming back

adeey
02-29-2012, 01:16 AM
From their website: http://bibliotik.org/

Bibliotik is coming back!
Spread the word - Posted 2012-02-28

We're very sorry for putting up a shutdown notice a few days ago. Our apologies to our entire crew of members who were saddened (and angry) at the sudden news, as well as the staff that were caught unawares.

At this moment in time we can't give any details about what happened, but something got us rattled last week. We made a snap decision to shutdown.

The wording of the shutdown message was poorly thought out. In retrospect, we should have waited a few days and put up this notice of a temporary downtime. We all felt really bad about it the day after.

Now the hard work is over and we're ready to announce our plans:

The Bibliotik.org website is secure and intact. We are searching for a new datacenter. If you have experience with good (or bad) datacenters, we would very much appreciate any suggestions. Send an email to [email protected]. For secure communication, you can encrypt using our public GPG key at the bottom of this page.

Additionally, our coding staff have some modifications to attend to. Feel free to stop by our IRC chat channel (#bibliotik) at irc.brokensphere.net and express your support for their hard work.

We'll keep this page updated with our progress.

cola
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
It's kind of weird that its coming back. Their sysop said that all their files and databases had been wiped.

Ast41
03-01-2012, 04:22 AM
I guess he had a backup.

bijoy
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
It's kind of weird that its coming back. Their sysop said that all their files and databases had been wiped.

Because sysop & 'crew members' can't live ourside virtual world.

cola
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Thats the thing, they said at first the site couldn't come back because they wiped everything in an emergency. And no one had the databases so they couldn't bring it back. After a few days BaconBits was accepting refugees, and some people were hoping that Bibliotik could verify membership. But the databases didn't exist, so they couldn't. Even when some people came forward saying that they would be willing to assume the risks that Bibliotik didn't want to take on, the admin said that the data just didn't exist.

It's just weird that all of a sudden everything is intact.

soulreaper
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Cool and umm who cares?

cola
03-02-2012, 06:28 PM
A bunch of their big retail ebook uploaders said they weren't coming back because of all the issues surrounding how it was taken down, and even just how the admins ran the site. Bibliotik always said they were the better source for ebooks because of their focus on retail ebooks and quality, so if the people who actually supplied the retail ebooks are ditching the site, doesn't sound too good.

adeey
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the intell., very interesting. I personally went there as a last resort as I found it nearly impossible to keep a good ratio there. I know all the tricks and have no problem elsewhere, but I don't have a seedbox and I don't upload so that's probably it. I generally want fiction anyway, and find the smaller ebook trackers and Demonoid usually have what I want in the format I want it, including relatively obscure stuff. A lot of upset Bibliotik users out there though ...

tknaught
03-03-2012, 12:52 AM
They were well organized, had a clean interface, and had a clear standards system for uploads. That's the draw for me.

manoeto
03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
how can i take part in?