PDA

View Full Version : Seedboxes not what they used to be?

wabbitslayer
03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Been torrenting for 4-5 years, I guess....almost exclusively on larger private trackers (and some smaller "boutique" type ones), rarely at public ones. Every couple of years I've used a seedbox for a bit just to make sure my accounts are buffered well and no "overall" ratio problems. (I never hit and run on any torrent, but my home 768k up dsl line makes it hard to seed everything 100% back.)

I think the last time I used a seedbox was in 2009, had 2TB/per month bandwidth on it that got used up within 2 weeks. Got one last month...5TB bandwidth, unmetered, dedicated....and i think i used maybe 3TB the whole month. I'd jump on torrents (popular releases, not obscure things) as soon as they were upped, and despite getting 8-10MB/s down, I'd be at 40% and usually have 20-30 people either done or way ahead of me. Instead of seeding things to a 9 or 10 ratio, I'd generally get 3 or 4 before it petered out. :(

And perhaps this does nothing but expose my naiveness as to how p2p is working these days, but I can't help but think that maybe with the spread of fiber connections and "fat pipes" for everyone, having a seedbox really isn't what it used to be.

Thoughts?

LazyGuy
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Been torrenting for 4-5 years, I guess....almost exclusively on larger private trackers (and some smaller "boutique" type ones), rarely at public ones. Every couple of years I've used a seedbox for a bit just to make sure my accounts are buffered well and no "overall" ratio problems. (I never hit and run on any torrent, but my home 768k up dsl line makes it hard to seed everything 100% back.)

I think the last time I used a seedbox was in 2009, had 2TB/per month bandwidth on it that got used up within 2 weeks. Got one last month...5TB bandwidth, unmetered, dedicated....and i think i used maybe 3TB the whole month. I'd jump on torrents (popular releases, not obscure things) as soon as they were upped, and despite getting 8-10MB/s down, I'd be at 40% and usually have 20-30 people either done or way ahead of me. Instead of seeding things to a 9 or 10 ratio, I'd generally get 3 or 4 before it petered out. :(

And perhaps this does nothing but expose my naiveness as to how p2p is working these days, but I can't help but think that maybe with the spread of fiber connections and "fat pipes" for everyone, having a seedbox really isn't what it used to be.

Thoughts?
are you using a Semi-Dedicated, or Dedicated server?
if you are using a semi, you may try to get yourself a Dedicated from Kimsufi for 16$ (Kimsufi 2g),
provided that you know how to set up the server as a seedbox
if not, you may buy the same server from resellers for a premium (because they will set up the server for you and offer support)

the box is a good one, i usually hit the upload cap in about 10 days or so and then order more bandwidth from my reseller

wabbitslayer
03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
dedicated 100Mbit; what I didn't do was set up RSS feeds (no good reason as to why, didn't feel like it, whatever)

I'm satisfied with what I got out of it (and probably won't get another temp one for another year or so), just that there's a whole lot more folks out there running seedboxes now than there used to be, and I think the value of them (based on the ratio of people running them versus those that are not and how that affects transfer patterns) has changed somewhat. OTOH, if everybody else is running something, you pretty much have to as well, just to keep pace. I really don't know why I found this surprising, just did.

IdolEyes787
03-04-2012, 12:27 PM
If a system is broken you don't fix it by getting a bigger hammer to hit it was .By doing that you are only, in essence, really making it worse aren't you?
If a large percentage of people using filesharing bt weren't such self-involved children they would probably see that.

bijoy
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm not what I used to be. :P

IdolEyes787
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not what I used to be. :P

I hear that they have blue pills for that now.

marklefe
03-05-2012, 01:35 AM
It also depends on what trackers you are using them with. If you got 3TB from music trackers like what and waffles then that's godlike.. and I am sure you could get more than 3TB if you just downloaded packs from sites like SCC. But ya I agree with you, there are much more people using seedboxes than before... prices have gone down too.

Contigo
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Also, don't forget that if you are using a 100mbit line on your seedbox, you are competing with people that have gigabit lines. In reality, they don't go 10x as fast, but they are certainly capable of being 3~6 times faster than your 100mbit line.