PDA

View Full Version : LASER Light Show at home?

megabyteme
03-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I've had this idea before, but never pursued it. I'm interested in some kind of sound-activated, small room, fairly inexpensive (<$100) multi-light laser-like light show device.

Just something not uber-cheesy that might enhance listening to music/zoning out.

Anyone seen/have something like this? Even if you come across something out-of-budget, I'd still like to know what is available.

Thanks!

bijoy
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Some case lightings will help you in your case. :)

mjmacky
03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Just something not uber-cheesy that might enhance listening to music/zoning out.

Anyone seen/have something like this? Even if you come across something out-of-budget, I'd still like to know what is available.

Thanks!

Would you like a membership to a dnb tracker to go with it?

Alien5
03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
This site was recommended to me by a DJ. It gives you an idea of the prices for professional equipment.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laser_lasers.html

megabyteme
03-05-2012, 03:37 AM
This site was recommended to me by a DJ. It gives you an idea of the prices for professional equipment.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laser_lasers.html

Thanks, Allen. That gives me a good baseline in terms of what is available, and at what prices. I did some looking on Amazon last night, and found a variety of stuff ranging from cheap and cheesy, to way beyond my needs. While there doesn't seem to be an all-in-one solution for under $100, there are some pieces that could come together for $300-400.

I won't be doing any of it right away, but the possibility seems better than last time I thought about it. Also, I think LED lighting has helped to make some of the cool effects safer and cheaper for home. :cool:

Thanks, Macky. Currently, I would not have use for such an invite. I'm primarily thinking of Pink Floyd (or maybe some Pandora-offered similarities), but my tastes could expand eventually.

Alien5
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
If you choose sort by price (descending) you can see the most expensive laser is lot more than $400.

mjmacky
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Macky. Currently, I would not have use for such an invite. I'm primarily thinking of Pink Floyd (or maybe some Pandora-offered similarities), but my tastes could expand eventually.

Oh, I thought you meant to zone out, not fall asleep completely.

megabyteme
03-05-2012, 09:57 PM
If you choose sort by price (descending) you can see the most expensive laser is lot more than $400.

I'm not planning on opening a disco (or writing my name on the moon*), just flashing some lights in a media room.... I mean the above to read, "3 or 4 pieces at about $100 each.

Sadly, my musical tastes are about as hip as the rest of me. :(

*Tick reference, anyone?

mjmacky
03-06-2012, 02:10 AM

Sadly, my musical tastes are about as hip as the rest of me. :(

*Tick reference, anyone?

I only meant to insult Pink Floyd, not your entire preference system.

megabyteme
03-06-2012, 07:37 AM

You only back off now realizing I may soon be armed with lasers and stuff. :01:

mjmacky
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM

You only back off now realizing I may soon be armed with lasers and stuff. :01:

You know I have a 140 mW laser at my disposal. Technically could be used as a dangerous weapon if you held still and were close by, since it has a power and cooling source that aren't very mobile. I burned a few holes through the protective curtain.

IdolEyes787
03-06-2012, 01:09 PM

If money is an issue just have someone choke you until you get lightheaded enough to start to see flashing spots.

Artemis
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM

If money is an issue just have someone choke you until you get lightheaded enough to start to see flashing spots.

He already knows all about that being a practising hypoxophiliac. :blink:

megabyteme
03-07-2012, 01:57 AM

He already knows all about that being a practising hypoxophiliac. :blink:

If by "hypoxophiliac", you mean irritating IRL, too, then yes.

CyberCitizen
03-07-2012, 04:49 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/green-red-laser-stage-lighting-projector-with-music-active-auto-mode-72114?r=67726530

NOTE Some of these lasers are quite powerful & can cause blindness if looked at directly or used in a small room.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14310-party-laser-blinds-russian-ravers.html

megabyteme
03-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Thanks, CC. Hard to beat that price.

Also, good to know some basics regarding the safe setup of the lasers. I'll look into that a bit more.