PDA

View Full Version : libtorrent/rtorrent

deiby
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I was originally going to reply to the "what bittorrent client" thread but thought maybe it would be hijacking. so anyway..

Do any experts here use rtorrent? I've been wanting to give it a try because I heard that your upload speed is like 3 times faster than it is on any other client. But i'm also deathly afraid of console applications.

absent_today
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
You can rutorrent if you are not comfortable with command line its a GUI for rtorrent

Stabber
03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
theere is also rtorrent for windows ;)

stan
03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Never noticed it being any faster .

deiby
03-07-2012, 04:23 PM
thanks for replies.

Can anyone else comment on upload speed in rtorrent? Anyone get a significant increase in upload speed or is it pretty much the same as Stan says. That would really be the only reason I would switch to rtorrent.

absent: thanks. nice to know there is GUI if I give it a try.

Stabber: can you give me a little more info? is it same as for linux? do you have URL? are you by chance referring to anotherTorrent?

Stabber
03-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Here you are :

http://static.jmk.hu/rtwi/downloads/rtow/

Just unzip the content and you can use rtorrent without cygwin

b3owulf
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
If you're jot getting the speed your ISP promises it's either provider being a cunt and not giving all the speed/throttling BT traffic or it's you being unable to configure client properly.
What about possible, but unlikely, speed increase, it's I guess due to rtorrent is very lightweight app. Again, 3x increase is most likely bullshit. But rtorrent is good client though, and rutorrent interface is very cool.

anon
03-07-2012, 11:57 PM
If you're jot getting the speed your ISP promises it's either provider being a cunt and not giving all the speed/throttling BT traffic or it's you being unable to configure client properly.

I get the vibe the thread starter is an optimization freak like me, and if he can get extra upload by using rTorrent, he will switch to that.

3x upload might have been possible under certain conditions, back when the official client wasn't a renamed copy of uTorrent.

deiby
03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
stabber: hey good to know! i actually bit the bullet and installed in linux with a combination of 2 guides. for anyone interested, it's here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-compile-coloured-rtorrent-from-svn-in-ubuntu-10.10-maverick-meerkat-debian-6-squeeze-with-rutorrent
and here:
http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0

b3owulf: i never said i felt i was getting throttled by my ISP (though they are cunts, but for other reasons ;)). i even checked on a site (glasnost or something can't remember exactly) that supposedly tests for throttling. in fact my speed is pretty good. i was just wondering if it could be better. like if libtorrent optimized the way it handled uploading to peers or something like that. but you're right. 3x is most likely a pipe dream. it's just what i thought i saw once.

anon: you are sure right about that. :D it's that damn OCD.

Contigo
03-09-2012, 12:33 PM
rtorrent is preferred by many because it uses less system resources.

deiby
03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
i honestly have no idea where to ask this so i'm just going to go ahead and ask here. ok, so i have been using rtorrent for the last few days and it takes some getting used to, but i think i'm going to make it my permanent linux client. now here's my question:

say you have a torrent with 2 files. (this is an oversimplification but you'll see what i'm trying to say). one file is like 100 kb and the other is 1 gb. i just want to download the 100 kb file so in the file list i set priority "off" on the 1 gb file. problem is, because the piece size is larger than 100 kb, it overlaps onto the 1 gb file and rtorrent ends up creating a 1gb dummy file which takes up unnecessary space on my hd. what should i do? it seemed that all other clients i have used in the past had a way around this so it wouldn't create an unnecessary space-wasting file and i would have thought rtorrent would be no different but that is not the case. is there any way around this?

stan
03-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Although it would be 1 gb if fully downloaded it would only be using few mb in practice.

deiby
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
hmm... ok, but it's saying that it's also 1 gb in my file browser.

stan
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Rtorrent does not usually preallocate the space

deiby
03-11-2012, 09:21 PM
ok... so do you know how i would get it to not create the 1gb file in the example?

deiby
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
ok, so i'm having a few issues with rtorrent. i've been to the official site at http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no but they don't really have a forum and i can't seem to find one searching on google. does anyone know of a good forum where i can get help with this stuff? appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction!

Funkin'
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Irc is probably going to be your best bet.

deiby
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Irc is probably going to be your best bet.

i see. will check it out. thanks.