PDA

View Full Version : God Bless America

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 01:31 AM
I just caught a clip of this on youtube, and thought the premise (while dark) is quite timely to the world we live in. It is marked as a 2011 film, but does not seem to be available anywhere. Perhaps it is slow in coming out.

Thoughts?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1912398/

Storyline
Loveless, jobless, possibly terminally ill, Frank has had enough of the downward spiral of America. With nothing left to lose, Frank takes his gun and offs the stupidest, cruelest, and most repellent members of society. He finds an unusual accomplice: 16-year-old Roxy, who shares his sense of rage and disenfranchisement. Written by Anonymous (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?plot_author=Anonymous&view=simple&sort=alpha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ul4CZrnEFxU

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 01:41 AM
I just caught a clip of this on youtube, and thought the premise (while dark) is quite timely to the world we live in. It is marked as a 2011 film, but does not seem to be available anywhere. Perhaps it is slow in coming out.

The movie premiered up in Toronto last September. That is why it looks like it has been released. It was bought by Magnolia/Magnet and will be in theaters May 11. It will also be leaked out on Video On Demand starting April 6. I can't wait that long. I am going to Austin for the SxSW Festival and will catch it either Mar 9 or 10.

Thoughts. It's written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait .This could not possibly be seen as being a good thing.:mellow:

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I get that it won't be any sort of "must buy on Blu-Ray" kind of show, but the trailer does kick off a certain amount of pleasure in seeing on the screen what any once-would-be-considered-normal person has pictured in their frustrated mind.

I'm wondering if there will be anything beyond that not-so-guilty pleasure...

EDIT- BTW, thanks for finding the release info!

mjmacky
03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Have you seen Rampage (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337057/) yet?

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, honestly. I've also seen Red State (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0873886/), which is probably a bit closer to GBA in the line of "those who deserve to die"- yet with a MUCH more sobering storyline.

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Or Super or Falling Down.

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 05:33 PM

I absolutely love Falling Down. I saw it in a theater on opening day when people had mistaken it for a comedy due to the presentation in the trailer. Very uncomfortable to be sitting in a room with 100+ people who were ALL expecting a comedy and got the movie as it is.

It took me a second viewing, several years later to realize how GREAT the movie really is. It is somewhere in my top 25ish, and I give it an 8.5.

EDIT- And now I remember seeing Super. Interestingly enough, I didn't enjoy the sobering element ADDED to what was supposed to be funny. Maybe that one will have to grow on me a bit more...

I have to wonder if the plot line will require GBA to take the same sobering end.

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 05:53 PM

I absolutely love Falling Down. I saw it in a theater on opening day when people had mistaken it for a comedy due to the presentation in the trailer. Very uncomfortable to be sitting in a room with 100+ people who were ALL expecting a comedy and got the movie as it is.

It took me a second viewing, several years later to realize how GREAT the movie really is. It is somewhere in my top 25ish, and I give it an 8.5.

EDIT- And now I remember seeing Super. Interestingly enough, I didn't enjoy the sobering element ADDED to what was supposed to be funny. Maybe that one will have to grow on me a bit more...

I have to wonder if the plot line will require GBA to take the same sobering end.

The problem with using acronyms is that ultimately people are nowhere as clued in as you assume. For example you write GBA and even with the title of this thread staring me in the face all I originally got was Game Boy Advance.

Anyway Falling Down is a very "effective" movie but since ,as you know ,I'm into puppies riding rainbows swooping in to save the day at the last minute.........
Actually that probably would have worked on the pier if it had the proper song playing over it.

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 05:57 PM
It can't all be puppies and rainbows, can it. Maybe exploring some of the more "effective", darker sides of life (personally, I prefer film to seeing the same IRL) on screen, those puppies seem a little more important, and the rainbows a little more magical. /:emo:

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 06:02 PM
That's crazy talk.

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
That's crazy talk.

Maybe you have a point there. After making my post, I cut myself so I could feel. Now I realize all I had to do was turn on an episode of Dora the Explorer...

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe you have a point there. After making my post, I cut myself so I could feel. Now I realize all I had to do was turn on an episode of Dora the Explorer...

I (re)watched Ronin today and I immediately felt bad for anyone who ever watched it hoping that it would make sense.

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I (re)watched Ronin today and I immediately felt bad for anyone who ever watched it hoping that it would make sense.

It really was all about the car chase scene, wasn't it.

IdolEyes787
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Frankenheimer never got over the fact that people think the car chase in Friedkin's French Connection is better than anything he could come up with in his French Connection II.
Ronin is a great big "in your face motherfucker" one director to another.
Other than that Ronin tries for a '70's style while forgetting that most of those films also had plots.
And attempts at "realism".Reno showing up at the end to save the day,given that he was just shot several times and left for dead several blocks back is beyond ludicrous.If aliens landed at the same moment I would have bought that scene just as much.

That said I'm still a man so I more or less still dug the movie. :mellow:

megabyteme
03-09-2012, 07:27 PM
That said I'm still a man so I more or less still dug the movie. :mellow:

Shirley, you are missing a set of quotations somewhere in that sentence.

megabyteme
04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Just came across a HD rip. Let's see if there is more to the movie than the 2 minute trailer...

IdolEyes787
04-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Just came across a HD rip. Being a movie buff I should probably be aware of what that means.I figure the HD stands for Hamilton Dyce but being long dead as he is how he could possibly be connected to this movie or why he would be ripped I am at a total loss.

mjmacky
04-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Jeffrey Ross's approach is high/deaf.

megabyteme
04-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah, yeah...

Watched the movie, and actually liked it. Of course, there was the element of guilty pleasure involved with the shootings of modern pop culture blights that dominated the show. What made me enjoy it far more than most of the other shooting rampage shows was the well-expressed monologs. There was actually a message in them that I tend to agree with.

Far from a great show by any means, this one held my attention. Sadly, there were very few surprises after seeing the 2 minute trailer, but that's to be expected.

Overall, a 6.5 filum. :idunno:

teflon05
04-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Since you gave this a (somewhat) decent review, I'm dl'ing it & going to give it a watch later tonight. I didn't watch the trailer, so maybe it will be better for me. Has to be a lot better than Battlefield Earth. I had to sit through that POS again at my nieces' house because she had never seen it, & thought it wouldn't "be as bad as I said" :shit:

IdolEyes787
04-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Why can't she just rot her mind by watching Twilight like all her friends.

megabyteme
04-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Since you gave this a (somewhat) decent review, I'm dl'ing it & going to give it a watch later tonight. I didn't watch the trailer, so maybe it will be better for me. Has to be a lot better than Battlefield Earth. I had to sit through that POS again at my nieces' house because she had never seen it, & thought it wouldn't "be as bad as I said"

I would begin a shooting rampage similar to the one depicted in GBA before watching Battlefield Earth a second time. :sick: