PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to aspire to...

megabyteme
03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Just noticed I passed the 7k mark. There were no fireworks, dancing, girls, or fanfare of any kind. Heck, I wasn't even greeted by the village idiot (due to the fact he recently got banned).

Shirley, there has got to be some additional colored stars available. Don't tell me your crayon box only has like 6 colors in it. If so, your momma is cheap and needs to spring for a bigger box.

I propose some new stars for those who have painted the walls of our house of text with their thoughts, queries (spell check didn't like how I had spelled it with Idol in mind), reviews, news, stories, laughs, challenges, and even the prolonged tail droppings. Those members deserve some additional recognition, IMO.

How about (in order, I think)...

Legend 10k
Pioneer 15k
Godlike 20k
Forum God 30k

Quarterquack
03-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Legend 10k
Pioneer 15k
Godlike 20k
Forum God 30k

A previous forum I'm on installed these classes, and then removed the equivalent of the current veteran class. The mods then gave the veteran class to people as a sort of VIP treatment. They kept giving them to anyone who would (per your example) almost hit the Legend 10k threshold. It made for some awesome hilarity when even with new classes, everything stayed the exact same.

megabyteme
03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Were the classes exactly the same as the names I came up with? I pulled them entirely out of my head because I thought they were decent enough to suggest. It would give me a pretty solid laugh if they were all being used (or, as you said, not used) somewhere.

I'm certainly open to other suggestions for the classes. I just think there should be something more. 5k for some of the old timers is NOTHING. Just the same as some of us change our avys and sigys on a regular basis- simply to keep things not so stale, an extension of the classes would be worthwhile.

EDIT- I'm not suggesting any kind of VIP treatment. That would be a different request, and not one I'd necessarily back, TBH.

mjmacky
03-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I want a VIP class, but I want the credentials to be that you have the exact same post count as mjmacky. It should shift with my post count. Also, I want special treatment, like the power to post as other members.

IdolEyes787
03-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Just noticed I passed the 7k mark. There were no fireworks, dancing, girls, or fanfare of any kind. Heck, I wasn't even greeted by the village idiot (due to the fact he recently got banned).

Shirley, there has got to be some additional colored stars available. Don't tell me your crayon box only has like 6 colors in it. If so, your momma is cheap and needs to spring for a bigger box.

I propose some new stars for those who have painted the walls of our house of text with their thoughts, queries (spell check didn't like how I had spelled it with Idol in mind), reviews, news, stories, laughs, challenges, and even the prolonged tail droppings. Those members deserve some additional recognition, IMO.

Legend Still able to pass off it off as merely being overly gregarious 10k
Pioneer Becoming a serious problem 15k
Godlike Time for an intervention 20k
Forum God Last bathed 2007 30k
40K is a toss up between Contemplating suicide and Considers Mary a close and personal friend
Over 50K you get to kill any other member no questions asked.

megabyteme
03-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Perhaps anyone over 10k posts could receive an electronic shocking device similar to a stun-gun which would be triggered by their placing of an additional post. While not all individuals would be smart enough to make the external stimuli connection, and would continue to post once regaining consciousness, others may eventually realize the err of their ways.

Nice twist on the classes, Idol. Gave me a really good early mourning laugh. :)

Cabalo
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, that's not something really hard to create, it's easily modifiable.

But look at it on a newbie's PoV : what all these colors mean? What's the difference, say, between pinks and cyan? Who is staff and who is not?

IdolEyes787
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
But look at it on a newbie's PoV : what all these colors mean? What's the difference, say, between pinks and cyan? Who is staff and who is not?

Yes I can see that there might be some problems associated with being stupid.

KFlint
03-10-2012, 04:33 PM

Doesn't have to be a different color for all, grey stars could remain and only the title would change.

megabyteme
03-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Doesn't have to be a different color for all, grey stars could remain and only the title would change.

That might work, then nobody would have to get their mom to buy more crayons. Win/Win.

Artemis
03-11-2012, 10:12 AM

You know you're right, they aren't really here for the forum after all, it is the shiny brass ring of the bt trade & invite sections they are here for in virtually every case, and we can't go and overload their fuzzy little brains with such trivia as recognising contributions to the board from longstanding members. I mean just imagine the embolisms caused by the overload of information....

They don't care about the information in 99% of the case anyway and most won't be around long enough to contribute anything vaguely interesting. For those that are interested then learning that users are recognised for different post counts may be seen as an achievement, for me I tend to agree that just having the one veteran class at 5,000 posts seems arbitrary and does not recognise the contribution of the really prodigious spambots we have on this forum.

putul54
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the searing. I agree with you.

anon
07-26-2013, 05:23 PM
When I started posting, the gray stars meant something. Now they've been noobified :snooty:

RealitY
07-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Legend 10k
Pioneer 15k
Godlike 20k
Forum God 30k
This would be fine though we need 5k in there.

Legend 5k
Pioneer 10k
Godlike 20k
Forum God 30k

Wede simply need stars with titles and will implement it...

IdolEyes787
07-28-2013, 12:07 AM
What's the class where you've passed 30k a couple of times but had a lot of your more memorable posts either deleted as spam or by database error?
Also personally if it's OK with you I'd rather just have a one time lump sum cash payout as I'm pretty sure being referred to as a god of anything is Idolatry and breaking my second commandment . :)

anon
07-28-2013, 12:34 AM
This would be fine though we need 5k in there.

Legend 5k
Pioneer 10k
Godlike 20k
Forum God 30k

Wede simply need stars with titles and will implement it...

How about we just move Veteran to the 5000 posts mark as it was before and be done with it? The way the forum is these days, even that takes a long time to reach.

Adding more ranks for 10000 posts and above would be senseless in my opinion. They would only affect those who have been on this site for at least some years, and I don't think they would even care about see any need for new stars.

RealitY
07-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Having ranks added is simple really. Its much simpler than adding groups is. If theyre also the same color not much concern there. If they want to create stars its fine...

megabyteme
07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Adding more ranks for 10000 posts and above would be senseless in my opinion. They would only affect those who have been on this site for at least some years, and I don't think they would even care about see any need for new stars.

You made 10k in your first 3 weeks. Don't trample the dreams of others. :no:

IdolEyes787
07-28-2013, 03:44 PM

I have it on good authority that chalice still only posts on the site in the slim hope of one day having the title "forum god" attached to his account so shows what you know.

I think if you have any dignity at all you should resign your Mod position for being so out of touch with things.

chalice
07-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm all about the custom title. A forum is a pretty shite thing to be a god of, innit. That's like being the god of spastics. You wouldn't know if you were getting hosannah'd or heresy'd with all their mauling about and what not.

Just 'God'll do to be going on with.

IdolEyes787
07-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I dunno being referred to as a "forum god" sort of makes me feel like Spartacus,only deader.

chalice
07-28-2013, 04:04 PM
I'd rather be the god of dandruff or something.

megabyteme
07-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Over 30k should be "Surprisingly Good at Changing a Single Letter"

anon
07-28-2013, 04:47 PM
You made 10k in your first 3 weeks. Don't trample the dreams of others. :no:

I did make it to 3 stars in two weeks back when it meant something[/overdonejoke]