PDA

View Full Version : A couple of newbie questions (How it works + VPN)

AlphaWolf
03-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I looked through a couple of guides and still had some questions. I hope they've not already been answered!
I'm looking at moving from torrents to Usenet, but I'm a little hesitant because of the cost right now, so I have a few questions.
I'm not a "big" downloader, but I'm thinking it's hardly to be "done" or "caught" using usenet. I know most ISPs (I'm in the UK) don't do anything about torrent users, unless they are asked by a copyright holder. However, I'm moving the University (a bit stricter), and I think they'll throttle this a bit etc. Also, I'm assuming no copyright holder can know I've gotten a hold of their stuff (not like if I leached it to them)
How does Usenet "work"? I've got a general idea, but if I sign up for one provider, will I be getting different stuff compared to another? I know about bandwidth/retention, but I'm talking about the available files, how do they differ?
How do files get uploaded to Usenet? Can anyone with a Usenet account somehow upload to Usenet? How is this done?
If I get a VPN (I want one in general), do I need one that supports P2P? I'm 99% sure I don't do any uploading, but they might class this as too many active connection!? I'm going by the list on torrentfreak.com (https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/), and I'm not sure which to go with, any recommendations?
Thanks for any replies.
EDIT: I've started using Sick Beard with SABnzbd with a free Usenet provider (just to try it out), and I have 1 quick question about it. How can I get it to download, unrar and then process the file in Sick Beard? It's downloaded for me, but all it has done is put it in he downloads/completed folder in its RAR form. I'm guessing I need to use +unpack? Do these add on to each other? So +delete with download > repair > unpack > delete.

koolfaze
03-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Wall of text. A Usenet subscription is pretty cheap. Most are less than $10/month or various prices for a block account. I personally pay $5.50/month unlimited at thecubenet with a block account from blocksnews. How much do you download monthly?

This site should answer most of your questions: http://www.newsgroupservers.net/.

You don't need a VPN for Usenet cause you're downloading from the Usenet server. SSL helps you feel more secure. But if someone really tried they can figure out what you're downloading.

I havn't used SABnzbd but Newzleecher (with quickpar) is a paid reader and it repairs, extracts, and deletes rars automatically.

Most of the issues with Usenet are due to DMCA takedowns, which causes some articles (pieces of a rar) to be removed, thus making it harder to extract. A block account solves this problem. Usenet is a lot safer than torrents because you're not uploading.

You can contact the support on some of the Usenet providers for a free trial account. Thecubenet does this.