PDA

View Full Version : TB's rule!

Disme
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I've been a member of several 'High Def-trackers', old and new and I've noticed several 'Invite-requests" threads where people request all kind of tracker invites, ranging from easily accessible ones to quite hard to enter trackers.

I've also noticed these people have tens, or even hundreds of TB's uploaded (and in rare cases also download immense amounts), but still I can't seem to get myself to hand over my outstanding invites for any of 'my' trackers.

Why not, you might ask ... well, because TB's don't really mean 'shit' these days. I've been torrenting for many, many years now and I've never had to use a seedbox, because I only download what I will actually use. I have the impression this kind of reasoning is completely obselete these days. Most avid torrenters have a seedbox to upload several TB's in a very short while.

I have always used my home connection to satisfy my needs and left my PC (nowadays a NAS) on 24/7, 365 days a year.

Could that be reason I don't trust any of those seedbox-users that quickly upload a few TB's with their seedbox and than put their tracker-membership next to the many others as a trophy???
I invited people at sites for 'teh community', that made 1 or 2 forum posts and had about 60 GB up for a year, while being on HDBits they downloaded and uploaded 5 TB in a weeks time!

What I'm basically trying to say is that torrenting has degraded from a sharing and caring community to a community where the whealthiest (read the people with the best seedboxes) are considered the heroes of BT, and since that's not a community I really want to be part off, I shifted for most of my needs to the Usenet.

Discuss ...

stoi
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
This is one of the reasons why we got rid of most classes with promotions demotions on ratio. (and to try to stop cheating/didnt work in that)

There are some very good seedbox members who probably deserve a reward in a promotion or 2, but there are a lot of pricks with seedboxes out there, esp as they are so cheap these days who only do it for the epeen for themselves.

Quarterquack
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
What I'm basically trying to say is that torrenting has degraded from a sharing and caring community to a community where the whealthiest (read the people with the best seedboxes) are considered the heroes of BT, and since that's not a community I really want to be part off, I shifted for most of my needs to the Usenet.

The problem is the content, not the community. We're all rather happy right here and the reason for that is we can talk about whatever it is we please, and then on the off chance we need some content, we can request links in a different part of the forum. Show me a "self-respecting" private tracker that gives as much leniency, and I'll show you a tracker where the vast majority of the community is happy. Draconian rules on what can and cannot be said, donation runs, complications between content providers and content consumers etc. is usually what drives the community to exhibit its unsightly under-belly in the form of seedboxes, ass threads and trading.

No one gets into torrenting because they want to use a seedbox. They get into it for the content, are maybe driven up some ranks for elitism, and then settle on being IRCtools. The seedbox is a means to an end, but the content is still the reason they're there in the first place. Maybe they believe the higher their numbers on HDBits, the higher their chances of getting into FTN for its packs!

stoi
03-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Where can you request links to torrents on FST? really thats news to me and i have seen members getting warned for posting them.

I have nothing at all against bitgamer or UG or that xbox tracker and gazzelle games, you can talk about them on BCG but it would be pretty daft if we allowed a "XXXXXXXX game is up on bitgamer, go and get it" "WTF its not up on BCG, shite tracker" type scenario. I hve also heard on the grapevine, I am not a member of bitgamer, but some of their members, and even some staff, call us worse than crap on their forums, I wont have that on BCG forums at all, Just dont think its right at all. People will like them, ppl with like us, ppl will hate both, but i wont have our members backstabbing bitgamer on our forums, if you dont like it, tell them, not us, I couldnt give a toss.

Without donation drives, you dont get many donations, its simple as that, members are quite happy to take what you and your uploaders offer, but most dont even think of donating, until you give them a reason to, yes some trackers go OTT, not disputing that, but if we didnt, we wouldnt last long, and you cant say lots of members = lots of donations, 100,000 members at one time, 200 donators.

So its the trackers fault that trading exists, I admit we have made a market for it with invites and being a closed shop, but the reason we are a closed shop is because of security (to a small extent), cheaters getting banned then just signing up again, account traders/sellers creating 200 accounts wait till we are shut (and even sometimes when we are still open) and sell them to the highest bidder. Its catch 22, we are damned if we do and damned if we dont.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Yea just dispense with the damn seedboxes,they've fucking ruined private torrent sites. Greedy bastards.

stoi
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Yea just dispense with the damn seedboxes,they've fucking ruined private torrent sites. Greedy bastards.

In a way they have.

If a member with a seedbox has a 400 ratio on a torrent, thats 400 people that will have a 0 ratio on that torrent, if then that seedbox member downloads and stops it as a hit and run (with global ratio he can) but he does it with 400 torrents (as he has the ratio from 1 torrent) then the speed will plummet for the other 400 torrents he hit and run on.

Seedboxes are that cheap, cheaper than home broadband, every tom dick and harry can have one, but if every member had a seedbox, there would still be members that would get banned for low ratio.

Seedboxes have made getting the shit faster, but it does mean a lot have to donate to increase their ratio to survive on trackers.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
BCG is great with their SP system,gives everyone a chance and since I'm old school I like to seed back what I download else I feel guilty(well not really but you get the idea). But the music sites need to stop acting like they're doing the world a favour with their community BS cause let's face it only seedboxers get to have all the fun there. The way I see it, either go completely non profit(gift gigs to lowbandwidth users from time to time) OR turn into a paysite.

karachidude
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM

In a way they have.

If a member with a seedbox has a 400 ratio on a torrent, thats 400 people that will have a 0 ratio on that torrent, if then that seedbox member downloads and stops it as a hit and run (with global ratio he can) but he does it with 400 torrents (as he has the ratio from 1 torrent) then the speed will plummet for the other 400 torrents he hit and run on.

Seedboxes are that cheap, cheaper than home broadband, every tom dick and harry can have one, but if every member had a seedbox, there would still be members that would get banned for low ratio.

Seedboxes have made getting the shit faster, but it does mean a lot have to donate to increase their ratio to survive on trackers.

that is correct,decent thing to do is then is to "not hit n run",maybe enforce a rule like that,why not give advice instead of making people who use them sound vile.

why cant a casual member just buy a seedbox instead of donating to survive on ratio trackers,a 20$ box should be enough to buffer 4-5 trackers for years of usage,as for the people who use seedboxes regularly,whats the harm?? most people take torrenting up as a hobby,more the money they invest the better for bittorrent.

donations while should me made as a token of gratitude instead of trying to survive on a tracker.

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
,as for the people who use seedboxes regularly,whats the harm??

Because most choose to abuse them to the determent of everyone else. Actually except for uploaders and the people that are going to argue that they "need" them for security ,as you basically just said yourself for the vast majority the only real purpose of a seedbox is to abuse the system.:mellow:

stoi
03-29-2012, 05:11 PM
In a way they have.

that is correct,decent thing to do is then is to "not hit n run",maybe enforce a rule like that,why not give advice instead of making people who use them sound vile.

why cant a casual member just buy a seedbox instead of donating to survive on ratio trackers,a 20$ box should be enough to buffer 4-5 trackers for years of usage,as for the people who use seedboxes regularly,whats the harm?? most people take torrenting up as a hobby,more the money they invest the better for bittorrent.

donations while should me made as a token of gratitude instead of trying to survive on a tracker.

Are you a member of BCG? we changed it to nullify the bad effects of Seedboxes, I was talking more a global ratio tracker.

And if everyone paid for a seedbox, no one would donate, or if they did, it would be to survive, on BCG we dont ban for low ratio, we even give ratio to a 1:1 just for trying.

And like i said in my first post, Most seedbox members are great, but there a few who are not, just because you have a seedbox doesnt make you elite on a tracker, it depends what you do with that seedbox.

karachidude
03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
,as for the people who use seedboxes regularly,whats the harm??

Because most choose to abuse them to the determent of everyone else :mellow:

'hit n run' rules should fix that,dont u think.what abuse other than 'hit n runs' are u talking about??

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Because most choose to abuse them to the determent of everyone else :mellow:

'hit n run' rules should fix that,dont u think.what abuse other than 'hit n runs' are u talking about??

So what you are saying is that if seedboxes monopolize bandwidth for an even longer period of time that would be good thing for my ratio .OK then.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
At the very least the autosnatching needs to go. What a disgrace. Here's a sample -

rusak - UL - 112 TB. DL - 38 TB on what.cd

Not that I have anything against this guy , but you have to be blind to not see the disparity(I'm guessing that's autosnatching). rich getting richer , poor getting poorer and you call this a community? Get out of here.

LazyGuy
03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
At the very least the autosnatching needs to go. What a disgrace. Here's a sample -

Not that I have anything against this guy , but you have to be blind to not see the disparity(I'm guessing that's autosnatching). rich getting richer , poor getting poorer and you call this a community? Get out of here.

did that guy even listen to all of that 38TB he downloaded?
it must take him 38 years to listen to all of that stuff

korton
03-29-2012, 08:09 PM

Are you serious?
That guy has uploaded over 4100 torrents and he is seeding well over 36k of audio torrents. He is most likely the only one seeder on loads of torrents. That user is doing a lot of good work community wise imo.

karachidude
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Are you a member of BCG? we changed it to nullify the bad effects of Seedboxes, I was talking more a global ratio tracker.

And if everyone paid for a seedbox, no one would donate, or if they did, it would be to survive, on BCG we dont ban for low ratio, we even give ratio to a 1:1 just for trying.

i was but know inactive,and thats cool,bcg's come up with a system to make it easier for the users,you have tried to nullify the bad effects of seedboxes while still being able to take advantage of the benefits seedboxes bring,all because your a decent guy.

global ratio trackers too would come up with similar systems,but they dont,because they are making money off it,this is though not a side effect of the seedbox culture,if anything cheap seedboxes are a way around the blackmail these trackers do.

So what you are saying is that if seedboxes monopolize bandwidth for an even longer period of time that would be good thing for my ratio .OK then.

most trackers give incentives like bonus points and freeleech,for example on filelist.ro files larger than 4gbs are free,ipt got a brilliant bonus system along with freeleech,your ratio should be ok if you utilize them.

its a win win,the seedbox monopoly would mean faster torrents,while still letting the casual user survive.