PDA

View Full Version : What.cd IS NOT for the casual user!!

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Let's face it. What.cd isn't for the casual downloader who simply downloads and seeds 24/7. Unless one has a seedbox or a really fast connection, it's not possible to survive. They don't give you gigs for donation either so there's no easy gigs to be had. Also, please don't tell me to upload. There's so much already out there that unless you go out of your way to find stuff, you can't upload. And let's just assume you actually find something to upload, what's the point? The seedbox whores autosnatches buffer the shit out of the upload leaving you dry with a max of 1:1 on that torrent.

So why the hell don't the what.cd staff just cut the bullshit and hand users with shitty connections 50-100 tokens on a regular basis? I can't give 50% of my life to what.cd and I'm sure more users feel this way.

stan
03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Leave your Whatcd torrents seeding.Then sign up to Rutracker then . Download 20 GB of flac each day till you are fed up . Then go back to admiring Whatcd's much better search facility's.If you are lucky you might even have uploaded 30mb on Whatcd.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Leave your Whatcd torrents seeding.Then sign up to Rutracker then . Download 20 GB of flac each day till you are fed up . Then go back to admiring Whatcd's much better search facility's.If you are lucky you might even have uploaded 30mb on Whatcd.

Can't trust the rips at rutracker.

DeadPoet
03-29-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to catch those staff picks but I often miss them. So what to do? I don't know. They gave every user 5 free-leech tokens. My best guess would be checking better.php and find flacs with no transcodes uploaded and start from there. You can upload 15 torrents that way. No biggie, but it's something.
You can find perfect flacs on RuTracker but I don't know how to check whether it is/is not perfect. It's an option though.

Quarterquack
03-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Up: 175.04 GB
Down: 1.99 GB
Ratio: 87.84
Required: 0.00

My What.CD stats for you.

The basic rules of survival are the following:

Use Freeleech to its maximum, I download entire discographies during freeleeches, and then seed them for as long as I can (this makes sure that pretty much anyone interested in the same artists that I am will have to snatch from me eventually, and on a site with so many members that's usually daily).

Upload requests. The vast majority of my ratio was fulfilled uploading 4-5 Music requests and 1 ebook request. If I had a little more dedication I'd go and build myself a scanner from here (http://www.diybookscanner.org/), and spend a month building a 1-2TB buffer on there using ebook uploads. From then on, I'd never worry about ratio again.

Better.php is also a great option. Find FLACs, upload V0. Every member with an auto V0 download will give you a little bit extra ratio. Usually it's about 80MB per V0 transcode, so you might need to upload 3-4 of them before you can grab a FLAC at break-even, but if you prefer V0 to FLAC, then you'll always be going at a 1:1.

RuTracker and DigitalHive are even better. Both of those trackers have torrents from What uploaded directly to them. RuTracker has a lot of the FLACs (even ones from Pedro's), DigitalHive has a lot of the alts (like Rosetta Stone for freeleech). Download from there, and cross-seed at What.CD. You'd be surprised how much traffic the Rosetta Stone torrent gets.

iStatiK
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
If you upload it really isn't hard to get a good ratio. I have a 2.42 ratio, nothing close to Darth's but its not hard.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Waiting a whole year for a "surprise" freeleech to download free music is not an option. Might as well turn it into a full on paysite,that way the users know exactly what to expect and the what.cd admin need to quit with their non-profit humanitarian bullshit. They're not doing anybody any favours.

LOL@uploading. Uhhh not interested.

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Waiting a whole year for a "surprise" freeleech to download free music is not an option. Might as well turn it into a full on paysite,that way the users know exactly what to expect and the what.cd admin need to quit with their non-profit humanitarian bullshit. They're not doing anybody any favours.

I couldn't agree more about not just What but most "popular" sites in general.I already have a job I don't need something I supposedly do for fun to become a second one.
If the fact that I don't traipse all over the internet looking for opportunities to cross seed shite that I am never going to watch/listen to/play /use makes me de facto a bad tracker member then seriously they can all go fuck themselves.

soulreaper
03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Up: 175.04 GB
Down: 1.99 GB
Ratio: 87.84
Required: 0.00

My What.CD stats for you.

The basic rules of survival are the following:

Use Freeleech to its maximum, I download entire discographies during freeleeches, and then seed them for as long as I can (this makes sure that pretty much anyone interested in the same artists that I am will have to snatch from me eventually, and on a site with so many members that's usually daily).

Upload requests. The vast majority of my ratio was fulfilled uploading 4-5 Music requests and 1 ebook request. If I had a little more dedication I'd go and build myself a scanner from here (http://www.diybookscanner.org/), and spend a month building a 1-2TB buffer on there using ebook uploads. From then on, I'd never worry about ratio again.

Better.php is also a great option. Find FLACs, upload V0. Every member with an auto V0 download will give you a little bit extra ratio. Usually it's about 80MB per V0 transcode, so you might need to upload 3-4 of them before you can grab a FLAC at break-even, but if you prefer V0 to FLAC, then you'll always be going at a 1:1.

RuTracker and DigitalHive are even better. Both of those trackers have torrents from What uploaded directly to them. RuTracker has a lot of the FLACs (even ones from Pedro's), DigitalHive has a lot of the alts (like Rosetta Stone for freeleech). Download from there, and cross-seed at What.CD. You'd be surprised how much traffic the Rosetta Stone torrent gets.

Your stats say it all. You have like 175 gigs uploaded but about 2 gigs downloaded as you probably downloaded like 3 times in 3 years during FL. That just shows how shit-scared users are to download anything substantial when it's NOT freeleech(which is like 364/365 days a year) which just underlines the fact that what.cd's ratio system needs to be discarded because as much as they think it works it just doesn't.

And all the methods you describe to survive ,as effective as they maybe, are flat out BS because it just doesn't apply to the casual user who'll just DL and seed back music which he loves listening to.

The thing is torrent sites were never meant to be about survival, it's turned out that way thanks to profiteering admins.

And What.cd is an abomination for a library, please don't call it that(don't mean you specifically Darth cicero).

I couldn't agree more about not just What but most "popular" sites in general.I already have a job I don't need something I supposedly do for fun to become a second one.
If the fact that I don't traipse all over the internet looking for opportunities to cross seed shite that I am never going to watch/listen to/play /use makes me de facto a bad tracker member then seriously they can all go fuck themselves.

Absolutely nailed it. This is EXACTLY what I was trying to convey.

ajsi
03-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Let's face it. What.cd isn't for the casual downloader who simply downloads and seeds 24/7.
I call BS. Staff picks can get you a significant upload amount, even on a slow connection. In case you want to whine about not wanting to check the site all the time in case there are new picks, or checking other sites like FST, or not having anyone that would tell you when there were new picks, it doesn't matter. It is still easy, if you seed everything you DL... The minimum ratio rule also works big in your advantage. Upload speed doesn't matter that much on what.cd, because you are only gonna upload a small amount of data basically on anything, maybe except FLAC (you DL more data on that though, so it is logical that you upload more too, but the V0:FLAC upload ratio should be similar, maybe the upload speed might matters a bit more), dunno about that. Only time when your upload speed really matters is during FL / Staff picks, when it basically determines how much you are gonna upload.

Yea, of course you won't be able to DL 100GB right after you've joined and then expect to seed it all back in a week. I seed about 500 torrents (V0 rips) about 10 hours a day, and in the last week or two (can't tell for sure since I don't track it that much) I uploaded just over 5 gigabytes (10Mb upload, but as I said, this doesn't matter). That is not much, but I certainly don't DL 5GB of music every two weeks...

Plus I think that if you do seed, the staffers won't give you trouble. I mean, ffs, there are 150.000 users, if you do seed your shit, you will eventually upload some data...

But then if you DL FLAC, you don't have any music in your library, have a 4th world connection, then yea, it might suck for you.

But you know what, I think that you don't care anyway, you are just pissed off that you can't seed 1:1 in a week, and don't even wanna try, and just came here to make yourself feel better, by finding others that will share you feelings...

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Let's face it. What.cd isn't for the casual downloader who simply downloads and seeds 24/7.
I call BS. Staff picks can get you a significant upload amount, even on a slow connection. In case you want to whine about not wanting to check the site all the time in case there are new picks, or checking other sites like FST, or not having anyone that would tell you when there were new picks, it doesn't matter. It is still easy, if you seed everything you DL... The minimum ratio rule also works big in your advantage. Upload speed doesn't matter that much on what.cd, because you are only gonna upload a small amount of data basically on anything, maybe except FLAC (you DL more data on that though, so it is logical that you upload more too, but the V0:FLAC upload ratio should be similar, maybe the upload speed might matters a bit more), dunno about that. Only time when your upload speed really matters is during FL / Staff picks, when it basically determines how much you are gonna upload.

Yea, of course you won't be able to DL 100GB right after you've joined and then expect to seed it all back in a week. I seed about 500 torrents (V0 rips) about 10 hours a day, and in the last week or two (can't tell for sure since I don't track it that much) I uploaded just over 5 gigabytes (10Mb upload, but as I said, this doesn't matter). That is not much, but I certainly don't DL 5GB of music every two weeks...

Plus I think that if you do seed, the staffers won't give you trouble. I mean, ffs, there are 150.000 users, if you do seed your shit, you will eventually upload some data...

But then if you DL FLAC, you don't have any music in your library, have a 4th world connection, then yea, it might suck for you.

But you know what, I think that you don't care anyway, you are just pissed off that you can't seed 1:1 in a week, and don't even wanna try, and just came here to make yourself feel better, by finding others that will share you feelings...

And I think that you're a professional bt tracker member who grew up knee deep in this stuff and now only comes to this site when he feels the need to demonstrate his perceived superiority.:idunno:

ajsi
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
And I think that you're a professional bt tracker member who grew up knee deep in this stuff and now only comes to this site when he feels the need to demonstrate his perceived superiority.:idunno:Ye, well you guessed it. My ego is so small that every once in a while, I feel the need to show someone how awesome and better I am.

Sure, I could write some stuff how I don't give a shit anymore, how I use only a few bt sites now, and whatnot, but I don't really care, I was just bored and visited the site, and couldn't resist the urge to respond to this. But hey, the legendary Idoleyes wants to have an argument, I better call it a day and retreat.

as for Soulreaper, I didn't wanna sound agressive or something, but it looked like you came here just to whine. Might not be the case, hence my text, which I think you can take something from...

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=IdolEyes787;3663944]
Sure, I could write some stuff how I don't give a shit anymore, how I use only a few bt sites now, and whatnot, but I don't really care, I was just bored and visited the site, and couldn't resist the urge to respond to this. But hey, the legendary Idoleyes wants to have an argument, I better call it a day and retreat.

I didn't want to have an argument,you offered an opinion and I simply offered mine.:mellow:
Anyway neither Rocky or I are known for being very reasonable so in the spirit of getting along we offer this humble piece of advice when faced with adversity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0Ahh3UxbM

ajsi
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=ajsi;3663952]

I didn't want to have an argument,you offered an opinion and I simply offered mine.:mellow:
Anyway neither Rocky or I are known for being very reasonable so in the spirit of getting along we offer this humble piece of advice when faced with adversity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0Ahh3UxbM
We both know how it is, don't we? But nvm, I take it. But that is as many hits as I can take today, un/fortunately. Thanks for the vid I guess. ;)

IdolEyes787
03-29-2012, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=IdolEyes787;3663955]
We both know how it is, don't we? But nvm, I take it. But that is as many hits as I can take today, un/fortunately. Thanks for the vid I guess. ;)

You saw the bit where we said we loved you then I take it.

tralalala
03-29-2012, 11:11 PM
@OP - You obviously missed the fact that downloading stuff from the internets is basically a felony. You're getting stuff that costs mony, for nothing. Literally.
Say thanks you have the OPTION to do so, and on What, you actually have the chance to choose from an almost infinite collection of music (ripped to perfection), and even select your preferred format (for quality/ratio needs).
If you're that pissed with the What.CD system, go download shit from eMule or Kazaa.. It still works. Even Soulseek is still an option for your audio needs. But don't go boo-hooing about a site that indexes non-free stuff for free, with the minimal request of uploading back what you took, or, as an alternative, try and give something of your own to the community of What by uploading your own rips (heck, I often sample music online to see if I like it, then go buy it to support the artist).

(BTW - If you're so "shit-scared" to download from What, you obviously haven't found a release you REALLY want, otherwise you would have downloaded it ages ago...)

And if all of this still doesn't satisfy you - you could always PURCHASE (god forbid) music (you could even buy it on iTunes!! No need to leave the PC-chair!!!).

Night0wl
03-30-2012, 12:28 AM
One word. Waffles.

Points system. 1200 points get you 24 hour free leech. They allow Vuze. Random free leeches. Pretty much all the content you want compared to What. Yes, What has more, but in my +4 years on both sites I've needed What for maybe 10 CDs. Non-Gazelle, so you can actually thank the person, who made the perfect rip without PM.

nuff said.

and @tralalala

iTunes has managed to piss me off beyond limits, when I wanted to buy music from them several years ago. I will NEVER even make an account there. "your country is not supported". Have you ever got that. If not, then you're in one of those "supported" countries. Oh.. you support it now several years later.. well fuck you. If I never hear anything about anything i* again, I'll be quite happy about it. I will rather risk going to jail then giving them one single cent.

absent_today
03-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Please forgive my n00bness on this topic but arent these music is available on warez bb ?

megabyteme
03-30-2012, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=ajsi;3663956]

You saw the bit where we said we loved you then I take it.

I especially liked the part where you said he was the best part of your life. That's what BT is all about. :wub:

Quarterquack
03-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Your stats say it all. You have like 175 gigs uploaded but about 2 gigs downloaded as you probably downloaded like 3 times in 3 years during FL. That just shows how shit-scared users are to download anything substantial when it's NOT freeleech(which is like 364/365 days a year) which just underlines the fact that what.cd's ratio system needs to be discarded because as much as they think it works it just doesn't.

And all the methods you describe to survive ,as effective as they maybe, are flat out BS because it just doesn't apply to the casual user who'll just DL and seed back music which he loves listening to.

The thing is torrent sites were never meant to be about survival, it's turned out that way thanks to profiteering admins.

Torrenting is about sharing and what.cd almost forces you to do that.

I've downloaded more than 50-60gbs in my time there, and I'm nowhere near scared of ratios. I can double my 175gb overnight, and even with my current ratio I can download somewhere around 400 flacs without looking back.

Your ideals might not line up with the staff's but I assure you that I for one enjoy what.cd being the only site that tries to be different. Don't forget that they're treading in oink's tracks so there's a lot of rules behind the scenes that they adhere to so that they don't end up in jail. It just so blissfully happens that both sets of rules and ideals align.

bijoy
03-30-2012, 06:11 AM

This!
Only problem can be with thosw who doesn't understand anything other than English.

stan
03-30-2012, 07:46 AM
I take it you are implying these people do not have the skillz to install Chrome (for it's auto translate).

God help them do a perfect Flac rip and upload it to Whatcd then.:D

n00bz0r
03-30-2012, 08:44 AM
The fact that something doesn't work for you doesn't automatically imply that it doesn't work for the vast majority of the remaining members either.

theman5
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
The required ratio if you seed everything you download is so absurdly low at what.cd :P

gtf0
03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Stop the bullshit whining, if you want to download, upload shit. If you already have what, you shouldn't have problems getting into sites like scc, gft, fyt or any other 0day, possibly noratio site. Get into their prechan, set highlight for music and apps. Download them and upload to what. That's how I made my 50gb buffer on waffles, on a fucking 128kbit upload (read: 16kB/s). So if I managed to do that, you're a fucking retard if you can't.

ca_aok
03-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Can't trust the rips at rutracker.

Yes you can. Learn how to read EAC logs by hand, or hell, just check them in logchecker.php at What.

I hit Elite on a home connection (30kB/s up). It took 6 months, 77 uploads, and seeding a shitload, with some help from freeleech. But it's doable. Request fills help too. I've got ~150GB bonus upload from filled requests alone. Yeah, it's not easy. There's a reason it's the largest private music site on the net. People upload anything and everything in order to survive.

Also lol @ you complaining about "profiteering" admins when you complain about how you can't pay2leech via donations in the OP.

xJohnxSmithx
03-31-2012, 12:59 AM
The required ratio if you seed everything you download is so absurdly low at what.cd :P

Exactly! Enough said.

IdolEyes787
03-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Stop the bullshit whining, if you want to download, upload shit. If you already have what, you shouldn't have problems getting into sites like scc, gft, fyt or any other 0day, possibly noratio site. Get into their prechan, set highlight for music and apps. Download them and upload to what. That's how I made my 50gb buffer on waffles, on a fucking 128kbit upload (read: 16kB/s). So if I managed to do that, you're a fucking retard if you can't.
I see a pattern developing here.:mellow:

wtf is wrong with you ppl?
just because they implemented pay4gigs and pay4invites doesnt mean they're p2l
why the fuck are people constantly flaming sct for p2l when there are sites like TL whose admins make thousands of euros profit every month (yeah, w00t's a dirty mofo)...

why dont just people stfu and stop writing bullshit?

cuz ur both retards
noone is forcing u to buy ANYTHING so why dont u just stfu ?

wow

so much bullshit in one post, i'm impressed

no because this forum is full of cheaters and jews [no, im not an antisemit, but israeli people always fuck something up (when it comes to torrent accounts)]

(Yes he actually wrote that I'm sadly not making it up)

Anyway as I like to know what sort of individual I am dealing with as you see I browsed your post history here and besides on the whole that being largely a depressing and unpleasant experience it showed me that as soulreaper was speaking of casual users and you obviously being a professional torrenter don't qualify.:mellow:

Other than that, again after reading your posts ,I have basically concluded that by simply doing the exact opposite of anything you say I stand a better than average chance of being right.:mellow:

gtf0
03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
And quoting my posts from 4 or more years ago shows what exactly? That I'm a total douchebag? I might be, so what, it's the internet, I don't care what people think of me.

The fact is, everyone can survive on what if they only put a little bit of effort in it.

n00bz0r
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
And quoting my posts from 4 or more years ago shows what exactly? That I'm a total douchebag? I might be, so what, it's the internet, I don't care what people think of me.

Yet, you bothered coming back with an explanation of sorts? :huh:

IdolEyes787
03-31-2012, 04:13 PM

The fact is, everyone can survive on what if they only put a little bit of effort in it.

Granted it lacked the purpose or eloquence of your " cuz ur both retards" but if nothing else it demonstrated that you really having done much growing up in those four years.

Also again I think everyone is missing the fact that the OP said "casual user". I'm sure anyone can "survive"( geez that sounds like a pleasant experience :mellow:) on any tracker if they want to put some work into it.
Btw I'm not disagreeing with how What chooses to operates,I'm sure that it wouldn't have the expansive library or be able to maintain it nearly as well if people could simply buffer up their accounts and then hit and run the fuck out of the place.

heiska
04-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Granted it lacked the purpose or eloquence of your " cuz ur both retards" but if nothing else it demonstrated that you really having done much growing up in those four years.

Also again I think everyone is missing the fact that the OP said "casual user". I'm sure anyone can "survive"( geez that sounds like a pleasant experience :mellow:) on any tracker if they want to put some work into it.
Btw I'm not disagreeing with how What chooses to operates,I'm sure that it wouldn't have the expansive library or be able to maintain it nearly as well if people could simply buffer up their accounts and then hit and run the fuck out of the place.

So you're complaining because those running their tracker chooses to require their users to put an effort in order to be able to download free music?

That's pretty self-centered.

Funkin'
04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Are you a seebox user? If so, then you have absolutely no idea of how it feels to be a home connection user on that site...

Just sayin'

I was lucky and had a friend put me on his seedbox just when What was doing an only FLAC fl a couple years ago. And just like everyone else on that site with a seedbox, I raped the fuck out of those torrents to get me a few hundred gb buffer(and on that site, I don't feel bad for doing it...). But before that, I suffered just like everyone else with a home connection.

What has a fantastic library(and like Idol mentioned, if it wasn't for their strict policy most of that library would probably be unseeded), that's not debatable. But it's also not debatable that for the average casual user, with a home connection, it's incredibly hard to survive there... And if it wasn't for the fact that I got lucky during a lossless fl, I'm sure i would have let my account go inactive long ago.

Just sayin' though.

I have no doubt that some user is going to post after me saying things like "just upload unique content", or "just seed whatever you download forever", or just use "better.php". You know, the usual coming from seedbox users that have TB buffers...

Anyways, this has been discussed to death on their forums. And eventhough I understand why soulreaper made this thread, there was no reason to. It's not like anything is ever going to change over there. Which is a good and a bad thing...

Quarterquack
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I have no doubt that some user is going to post after me saying things like "just upload unique content", or "just seed whatever you download forever", or just use "better.php". You know, the usual coming from seedbox users that have TB buffers...

I'm a home user and I barely struggle, using these very methods.

IdolEyes787
04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
And I'll keep repeating the phrase "causal user" until somebody actually pays attention to it.

orbittwz
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
yeah, What.CD is not for the casual user IMO, every user must make a special effort learning the rules and share files by the rules...
took me enough time (about 4 days) learning everything, but now I'm settled in...

IdolEyes787
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
So you're complaining because those running their tracker chooses to require their users to put an effort in order to be able to download free music?

Not any more self-centred than uploading a bunch of shite to total strangers that you don't give a fuck about just so it allows you to steal the next Justin Bieber album when it comes out.Or does the fact that people are inadvertently benefiting by your own desires somehow make you any the less self-centred? Does "putting in the effort " to immediately jump on every popular new torrent and use your seedbox to upload it to the highest possible ratio regardless of how that effects anyone else?
At least I don't choose to further insult people by downloading stuff that I have no personal interest in or pretending that I'm being all magnanimous by being forced to seed stuff.

Also I thought the whole idea behind filesharing was that we shared files regardless of who you are,where you live , how fast your connection happens to be or how much work you choose to put into it . I think to be able to do that without pretensions of of any kind of superiority is what being unselfish is basically all about.:mellow:

elbuitre
04-01-2012, 10:21 PM
its a site for techo hipsters/music nerds and that's why it's good, it would not be as extensive or well seeded if it was easy. plus they will never ban you for ratio, unless you download 10Gb while on ratio watch.

Quarterquack
04-01-2012, 11:19 PM
its a site for techo hipsters/music nerds and that's why it's good, it would not be as extensive or well seeded if it was easy. plus they will never ban you for ratio, unless you download 10Gb while on ratio watch.

Bingo!

Stop calling out for the casual user. What.CD isn't a casual site. If you want to torrent music with no hassles, go join a ratio free site, or demonoid or rutracker. Even better use Soulseek or a Grooveshark/Last.fm scraper, or a Spotify account. The casual user does not care about the quality of their music. What.CD is inherently a site for the non-casual nerd. Hence, its membership pales in comparison to other music centric services online with less than 0.05% of the Internet-Connected population even knowing what What.CD is and being there.

heiska
04-02-2012, 02:10 AM

Not any more self-centred than uploading a bunch of shite to total strangers that you don't give a fuck about just so it allows you to steal the next Justin Bieber album when it comes out.Or does the fact that people are inadvertently benefiting by your own desires somehow make you any the less self-centred? Does "putting in the effort " to immediately jump on every popular new torrent and use your seedbox to upload it to the highest possible ratio regardless of how that effects anyone else?
At least I don't choose to further insult people by downloading stuff that I have no personal interest in or pretending that I'm being all magnanimous by being forced to seed stuff.

Also I thought the whole idea behind filesharing was that we shared files regardless of who you are,where you live , how fast your connection happens to be or how much work you choose to put into it . I think to be able to do that without pretensions of of any kind of superiority is what being unselfish is basically all about.:mellow:

There are sites and trackers which are suitable for the casual file sharer, and then there is What.cd. Diversification in the bittorrent market is a positive thing. Something for everyone.

@Funkin' nope, I don't use a seedbox, but I also don't think they are altogether that bad for the private tracker scene.

ca_aok
04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Casual users by your definition don't bother with bittorrent. Most actual casual music lovers I know just have playlists on things like Grooveshark or even just Youtube.

absent_today
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Is there a FLAC for Titanic on What.cd ? I could not find in warez bb either for below song its around 104 MB and there is one seeder on SCC and that too seeding at 1Kb

Celine_Dion-My_Heart_Will_Go_On_Love_Theme_From_Titanic-CDM-FLAC

IdolEyes787
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
....actual casual music lovers ......:unsure:Doesn't someone either love something or.... not?Or does one require obsessive behavior to qualify as being a true music lover?
Also just so we can get things perfectly clear , please show me one human being who doesn't "love" music?

Seems (unfortunately) like with most things this is now an "I'm better than your are " sort of thing and nothing else.Of course we all knew that going in didn't we?Some are just reluctant to admit it.

God you have to love bt ,one of the very few places left on Earth where pandering to elitism can still be viewed as a positive .

heiska
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
....actual casual music lovers ......:unsure:Doesn't someone either love something or.... not?Or does one require obsessive behavior to qualify as being a true music lover?
Also just so we can get things perfectly clear , please show me one human being who doesn't "love" music?

Seems (unfortunately) like with most things this is now an "I'm better than your are " sort of thing and nothing else.Of course we all knew that going in didn't we?Some are just reluctant to admit it.

God you have to love bt ,one of the very few places left on Earth where pandering to elitism can still be viewed as a positive .

It's like talking to a wall here. You think they are unfair, elitist, against the spirit of filesharing etc because they choose to require their users to put in some effort on their site.

What.CD is expecting new users from #what.cd-invites to be contributing members to the community. If you are going to get banned for cheating, ratio mismanagement, etc., you are not welcome here. What.CD is looking for members who will be active amongst the community, interested in music, and willing to share by uploading music from their own collection. Be forewarned, seeding to an acceptable ratio on a private tracker, such as What.CD, is much more difficult than on a public tracker.

The site is elitist because it is not suitable for you? Nice attitude.

Btw I don't use bittorrent for music because there are better protocols for that. I guess I can't be a true music lover then.

IdolEyes787
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
:unsure:Doesn't someone either love something or.... not?Or does one require obsessive behavior to qualify as being a true music lover?

It's like talking to a wall here. You think they are unfair, elitist, against the spirit of filesharing etc because they choose to require their users to put in some effort on their site.

What.CD is expecting new users from #what.cd-invites to be contributing members to the community. If you are going to get banned for cheating, ratio mismanagement, etc., you are not welcome here. What.CD is looking for members who will be active amongst the community, interested in music, and willing to share by uploading music from their own collection. Be forewarned, seeding to an acceptable ratio on a private tracker, such as What.CD, is much more difficult than on a public tracker.

The site is elitist because it is not suitable for you? Nice attitude.

Btw I don't use bittorrent for music because there are better protocols for that. I guess I can't be a true music lover then.

Probably help if people would learn to read since I never said What was elitist nor did I say that it was unfair.All my comments were directed at and meant as a counterpoint to posts in this thread.:mellow:

Anyway it must be difficult to function being so painfully myopic as you appear.You probably walk into a lot of walls.My sympathies to the walls.

Edit.Sorry that might be construed as me trying to be witty or ironic .I probably should have just put you are talking out of your ass again dickhead and left it at that.

Quarterquack
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Is there a FLAC for Titanic on What.cd ? I could not find in warez bb either for below song its around 104 MB and there is one seeder on SCC and that too seeding at 1Kb

James Horner - Titanic: Music from the Motion Picture [1997] [Soundtrack] - FLAC - 328.24 MB

:unsure:Doesn't someone either love something or.... not?Or does one require obsessive behavior to qualify as being a true music lover?

What? That's like me saying the UCI provides and makes room only to those who practice cycling non-stop, and doesn't cater to me with any accommodations. Well, of course not. I'm not part of the professional cyclist circle. Just like most of the casual users you are calling out for are not part of the subset of the population with which the What.CD dogma aligns for. Quality and music sharing (not simply music seeding) are those. A casual user, which by today's definition is probably someone who doesn't even own music discs, has no interest in doing either, and will find another service. Just like a casual cyclist will probably sign up for a local marathon, as opposed to enroll and train for the UCI WC.

And by the way, I'm not sure if you've ever visited your local graduate school halls, but the one I frequent is littered with people who, for all intents and purposes, "hate" music. I remember one lab tech requesting that no music be played in the lab, since it was the only form of acoustic input that gave him a headache. He'd put audiobooks on loop, instead.

absent_today
04-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Oh good how can that file be that huge whats the bit rate of that file ?

ca_aok
04-03-2012, 03:39 AM

I was talking about the "casual" part, not the music lover part. Though I do have two friends with no music collection, no real musical taste, and no real desire to listen to music. Weirdos.

Anyway I think you should lay off the poutine, it's clearly clouding your judgment.

And Re: the above, 300MB is pretty standard for a FLAC album with decent file complexity.

mjmacky
04-03-2012, 04:45 AM
A casual user, which by today's definition is probably someone who doesn't even own music discs, has no interest in doing either, and will find another service.

I'm far apathetic to music, but no one hates music outright. The number of times I've bought a full album can be counted on one of my hands, but even I've owned a "music disc". Please put on display these people that have never owned a music disc and charge a nickel for the viewing.

P2PDog
04-03-2012, 05:11 AM

James Horner - Titanic: Music from the Motion Picture [1997] [Soundtrack] - FLAC - 328.24 MB

That's a different release than absent_today referred to. The Celine Dion release that he mentioned is there. It's 105.19 MB and has 4 seeders.

Quarterquack
04-03-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm far apathetic to music, but no one hates music outright. The number of times I've bought a full album can be counted on one of my hands, but even I've owned a "music disc". Please put on display these people that have never owned a music disc and charge a nickel for the viewing.

I didn't own music until very recently (read: past two years), but once I came to the realization that even if I only like one song on an album, I keep the entire thing for collection's sake, I started buying discs (my only gripe was an anti-filler mantra). I now have a collection I'm very proud of, to the point where I'm planning to make it a summer project one year to build my own storage and holding unit for them.

As for the people that have never owned a music disc: My fiance only has discs that belong to her parents. A close friend of mine only has discs that I gave him. Heck, even a DJ friend of mine only has discs of mixtapes he downloaded online, and swears that he never needs the source material. I'm surprised you're yet to meet someone who has never owned a disc.

That's a different release than absent_today referred to. The Celine Dion release that he mentioned is there. It's 105.19 MB and has 4 seeders.

I thought he was asking for actual Titanic music, and mentioning releases he found elsewhere. Didn't realize he might be asking for that very specific release.

mjmacky
04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I didn't own music until very recently (read: past two years), but once I came to the realization that even if I only like one song on an album, I keep the entire thing for collection's sake, I started buying discs (my only gripe was an anti-filler mantra). I now have a collection I'm very proud of, to the point where I'm planning to make it a summer project one year to build my own storage and holding unit for them.

As for the people that have never owned a music disc: My fiance only has discs that belong to her parents. A close friend of mine only has discs that I gave him. Heck, even a DJ friend of mine only has discs of mixtapes he downloaded online, and swears that he never needs the source material. I'm surprised you're yet to meet someone who has never owned a disc.

I mean ever in their lives, not necessarily this day, and not that they had to purchase it themselves. Also, I just assume it was implied, but I was talking about adults (more specifically in this case people who have at least reached the age of 20). For the music I do enjoy, digital music on reusable/cloud media suits purposes just fine, so I wouldn't be surprised if any new adults never found a disc in their collection from this point forward.

The list of albums I can recall purchasing:
Metallica & San Francisco Orchestra (whatever that album was called, S&M I think)
Metallica - Garage Inc. (The stuff from Metallica that I liked)
Sezen Aksu - Deliveren (for a project in my Music in the Middle East class)
Niyaz - Self-titled (listened to it in a Borders once and impulse purchased)

All the other music I had was inherited, gifted or borrowed without return.

IdolEyes787
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
...... or borrowed without return.

speaking of I'd like my American Idol sings Bon Jovi CD back if you're done with it.

IdolEyes787
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
the only fucking reason i like you is that you have a nice avatar

I'd change it but it's tattooed on.

elbuitre
04-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Bingo!

Stop calling out for the casual user. What.CD isn't a casual site. If you want to torrent music with no hassles, go join a ratio free site, or demonoid or rutracker. Even better use Soulseek or a Grooveshark/Last.fm scraper, or a Spotify account. The casual user does not care about the quality of their music. What.CD is inherently a site for the non-casual nerd.hell, most people would be satisfied with listening music on youtube, the selection is great even.

mjmacky
04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
...... or borrowed without return.

speaking of I'd like my American Idol sings Bon Jovi CD back if you're done with it.

I am using it as a coaster for my urine jug, do you really need it back right away?

IdolEyes787
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM

I am using it as a coaster for my urine jug, do you really need it back right away?

Yes I have a real hankering to hear a 17 year old girl sing Bad Medicine off-key.

absent_today
04-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys, little offtopic which portable player does plays/drives FLAC audio smoothly ? Sansa Clip ?

Quarterquack
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys, little offtopic which portable player does plays/drives FLAC audio smoothly ? Sansa Clip ?

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus

Pick one of the devices with 4 unquestionable green "Yes" beside its name.

Rockbox will change how you listen to your music on the go, I promise, and it supports FLAC files, audiosheets and meta data. :)

Here (http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/)'s even a version if you have an Android phone higher than FIRM 2.1. It won't do recording or FM radio (other apps can), but it handles everything else just fine, if you want to test the Rockbox environment before you make your move.

absent_today
04-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks , what i realize is though my Android can play FLAC but the sound is very low compared to even a mp3

heiska
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Probably help if people would learn to read since I never said What was elitist nor did I say that it was unfair.All my comments were directed at and meant as a counterpoint to posts in this thread.:mellow:

Anyway it must be difficult to function being so painfully myopic as you appear.You probably walk into a lot of walls.My sympathies to the walls.

Edit.Sorry that might be construed as me trying to be witty or ironic .I probably should have just put you are talking out of your ass again dickhead and left it at that.

I should probably just put then that I'm extremely sorry for being so inconsiderate towards your wonderful and highly appreciated opinion on this nefarious bittorrent tracker.:mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow:

Edit: On another thought, just f u bitch ur plain wrong.

IdolEyes787
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
[

I can live with being wrong, I don't know if I can live with your unprovoked assault on the English language though.

heiska
04-06-2012, 01:10 PM
[

I can live with being wrong, I don't know if I can live with your unprovoked assault on the English language though.

Ok. How's your Norwegian?

deiby
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm still a newbie when it comes to this torrent stuff but isn't the auto-dl/rss thing more detrimental to the home user than the actual seedboxes? I wonder if there are any trackers that disallow that stuff.

1000possibleclaws
04-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I've never used a seedbox on What.cd and over the course of 4+ years have build up just under 400gigs of upload. 100 gigs per 365 days is not very hard to do on typical internet plans.

If you strategically download from the daily top 10 you will discover lots of good albums you've never heard of, and by seeding those over the long-run, you can hit ratios of 5+ which for me is more than enough to download whatever else I want. And seeding random music as long as it's not too obscure (<10 snatches) is good for getting ratio, but I would always seed my top 10 downloads over random downloads, if processing power is the bottleneck.

And if you are too casual for that, you can simply bookmark until the next holiday freeleech. Most casual users I know seem to do that. You're right it's not for the most casual users, but that really helps keep the quality up there for a more serious and dedicated userbase.

IdolEyes787
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Ok. How's your Norwegian?

She's fine if a little stupid which is probably why I like her so much.

GXice
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Keeping a ratio on What.cd is incredibly easy. As long as you seed everything you snatch, your required ratio remains under 0.60 until you hit 60gb downloaded. These are very lenient requirements.

Yes it takes a bit of effort to really grow your buffer, but that effort is reflected in the healthy quality of the community, over a million torrents, and all of them generally being well seeded.