PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Seedbox

Xbox_360
04-05-2012, 06:05 AM
I am looking for a good and also cheaply priced seedbox server. I am looking to spend no more then $25 U.S. a month on. I am looking for something that has 175gb+ for space and 100mb is fast enough. I am currently with Seedmonster, just seems lately I am having nothing but problems and am wanting to look elsewhere. Please tell me (if you do recommend a place) your experience with them if you have any and how long you have been with them.

LazyGuy
04-05-2012, 07:30 AM
do you want dedicated or shared?
there are many resellers who provide the Kimsufi 2g (100Mbit dedicated with 1.2GHz celeron and 1TB HDD) for around 30$ a month
but of course if you are willing to order that server from Kimsufi directly and can setup yourself (Rutorrent/Deluge) or ask any friend of yours to do so it will cost you little under 18$

for 18$ it is a pretty nice server
i used one of them some time ago and managed to upload 5TB at FLro in first week and 2TB at IPT in the next week

Xbox_360
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Looks good but when I went to there site and picked the £13.99 2G server it asks me what OS I want so I then pick and it comes out to £50.00. It has also put about 3-4 months worth in the cart is that the way it works there? I can't pay that all up front.

stan
04-05-2012, 08:57 AM
One option if you are unsure of setting up Lazy Guys suggestion is to get the server with Windows installed. Pretty cheap in you can buy through OVH France . Other countries are much too expensive .Their insistence of ID might put you off though.There is an option in the OVH buying system to buy for a month.

It is almost exactly the same as running Windows 7 from home but using remote desktop to control it.Then just download utorrent .Install filezilla for FTP to home .Hell even put MS Office on it if you want to.

Windows will not make it as good a seedbox as a Linux system would but doubt you really need the ratio. It will do fine it you not hammering SCC packs.For myself Windows is more convenient. The ability to download off rapidshare / usenet etc then upload as torrents outweigh's Linux's ability to wring better proformance out of the little 2 g.

Fibre
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Looks good but when I went to there site and picked the £13.99 2G server it asks me what OS I want so I then pick and it comes out to £50.00. It has also put about 3-4 months worth in the cart is that the way it works there? I can't pay that all up front.

You can change it to a monthly contract and should be able to place an order through OVH.com if you're from the states.

feralhosting.com is great if you don't mind sharing resources. There's also seed.st.

Xbox_360
04-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Thanks Fibre after reading your post I found it, I feel a bit dumb now for missing that.

One option if you are unsure of setting up Lazy Guys suggestion is to get the server with Windows installed. Pretty cheap in you can buy through OVH France . Other countries are much too expensive .Their insistence of ID might put you off though.There is an option in the OVH buying system to buy for a month.

It is almost exactly the same as running Windows 7 from home but using remote desktop to control it.Then just download utorrent .Install filezilla for FTP to home .Hell even put MS Office on it if you want to.

Windows will not make it as good a seedbox as a Linux system would but doubt you really need the ratio. It will do fine it you not hammering SCC packs.For myself Windows is more convenient. The ability to download off rapidshare / usenet etc then upload as torrents outweigh's Linux's ability to wring better proformance out of the little 2 g.

I have done something close to this before with a different provider but the FTP side was done. I have Ubuntu on my netbook and I am going to set it up like I would with this server to see if I get everything running. I don't want to go ahead and get it and can't get it working.

stan
04-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Don't worry too much about the initial O/S. If you buy from OVH direct you get your own nic- handle for Manager. From there you can swap / format as many different versions as you want . If you have your own serial for Windows Server that will install as well.

If you are happy with Ubuntu go with that .