PDA

View Full Version : Tribes Ascend - F2P pc shooter now out of beta

1000possibleclaws
04-17-2012, 12:07 AM
108101 Have any of you guys checked out this game yet? I've been playing through the beta and can say it's one of the rare free to play games that is worth the time playing! It's unique because of it's 'skiing' aspect, which is what the game revolves around. Players use jetpacks on their heels which let them 'ski' across all surfaces, and maps are huge so players are often going at speeds ranging from 70-250km/h. There's lots of different classes, and each have different roles. Some specialize in fast movement for flag capping, another on defending with mines and miniguns, there's the engineer, also a class with mortars. There are no kill streaks but players get points inside of matches for doing pro-active activities such as killing, defending the flag, and repairing, and these can be spent on vehicles or orbital strikes, to name a few things. My main con is that without paying, it can really be a grind to unlock some stuff. I'd suggest focusing on one or 2 classes to focus unlocks on. IMO Pathfinder (the flag capper) and Doombringer (ultimate flag defense) are two great options, because they are polar opposite on the spectrum of gameplay, so you can alternate to experience the rush of a 300km/hour flag steal, with the stopping power of the Doombringer. I've played these 2 classes over 30 hours and am still having a blast with them. I'd recommend watching a few youtube vids and check it out, it's already having a huge positive impact on the pc gaming scene. (btw lmk if you sign up with my referral link in my sig. It gives a huge boost to ingame XP that is needed to unlock some of the classes, and is a real pain to grind out myself) Tribes Ascend - Account creation (https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1625183&utm_campaign=email) 108102spinfusor rifle 108103 108104Doombringer's minigun in action 108105 108106base under attack

mr. nails
04-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Played it in beta and it was a good game. If anything I would just go skiing instead of killing.. Why? 'Cuz it's fun! Lack of VOIP is game breaking so i stopped playing.

Fun tid-bit: Did u know the skiing was actually a bug. They ended up keeping it due to common interest.

mjmacky
04-17-2012, 12:59 AM
So they added a new kind of movement to Halo then?

Quarterquack
04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
I thought the same, Macky, till I actually started playing the game. It looks like Halo but plays completely differently. I looked at the sniping (I'm mainly a scope in FPS games), and thought it will be a breeze. Then people started buzzing around at 300kmph and I decided I need to speed my shots and add a shit-ton more lead to them, and I basically feel like a complete rookie now.

It's actually a fairly impressive game, been playing with some of the Area 51 guys - they have a nightly webcast up, so you can watch that if you want to get a feel for the game before you hop in and invest your bandwidth.

1000possibleclaws
04-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Almost all the guns are not hitscan so because of the speed it really makes the gunplay different than Halo. It's all about being able to gauge where the opponent is gonna land, and being able to prefire your shot against his speed and arc

mr. nails
06-28-2012, 05:11 AM
user base is about to grow. tribes is on steam now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17080/

and with that, if u want, there's a starter pack which includes:

1. life time 50% xp gain
2. 4 bonus weapons
3. 2 more unlocked classes
4. 4 perks
5. 800 tribe gold

total: $10