PDA

View Full Version : Even wierder laptop problem.

Quarterquack
04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Here's a mind boggler.

My touchpad won't work, only in windows. I dual boot Linux/Windows on my laptop, and the touchpad works fine in Linux. The touchpad setting is set to "on", the snap/swap registry entries are defaulted, and the drivers were reinstalled. And yet, the touchpad refuses to respond. The clicks from the touchpad work fine, but cursor movement does not.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just thought the mouse might have been accidentally mapped to a mirror screen or projector control. But it isn't, there's only one display setting active.

mjmacky
04-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Do you have a disable/enable touchpad function anywhere on the laptop? My Asus had one of those functions so that you could avoid palming the thing during long ass typing sequences or when you have a mouse plugged in.

Quarterquack
04-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Already made sure it's not that - it's hotkeyed to FN+F1 on my laptop.

Artemis
04-19-2012, 01:55 AM
How old is the windows install? A fuzzy registry could be your problem since the touchpad is working fine when booted in another O/S thereby removing hardware as a fault. A registry clean/compact is another step to take in your diagnostic process.

asanfstc
05-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Which Winblows OS is it and what is the make and model of the touchpad? (probably synaptics something something?) I would guess you need a different version of the driver.

hikaricore
05-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Winblows is right just stick to using Linux
Winblows if for n00bfags so this should tell you something and thats why your driver doesnt work

Artemis
05-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Winblows is right just stick to using Linux
Winblows if for n00bfags so this should tell you something and thats why your driver doesnt work

Well I don't know about anyone else but I was personally enriched by this post, this is just the kind of insight we need, really it is. Retard. :blink:

bijoy
05-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Repair your windows OS.