PDA

View Full Version : Liberals and Democrats Announce Rejection of ACTA

sonic1
04-25-2012, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE] The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats (ALDE) in the European Parliament have just confirmed that they will reject ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement. Leader of the Alliance, Guy Verhofstadt, said that while supporting the protection of intellectual property rights, ALDE believes that ACTA falls short on a number of counts.
https://www.torrentfreak.com/images/****-ACTA.jpgThe Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, a treaty aimed at harmonizing global copyright enforcement, received yet another serious setback today.
The Alliance of Liberals and Democrats in the European Parliament have just announced that they will reject the controversial treaty.
“Although we unambiguously support the protection of intellectual property rights, we also champion fundamental rights and freedoms. We have serious concerns that ACTA does not strike the right balance,” announced Guy Verhofstadt, ALDE group leader.
Verhofstadt said that ALDE continues to support multilateral IP enforcement efforts, but only those with a transparent, publicly discussed mandate. He added that ALDE shares the legitimate concerns of those who participated in the anti-ACTA protests in recent months.
“Civil society has been extremely vocal in recent months in raising their legitimate concerns on the ACTA agreement which we share. There are too many provisions lacking clarity and certainty as to the way they would be implemented in practice,” Verhofstadt noted.
One of the key problems raised by anti-ACTA activists is the way the treaty has morphed and grown since its inception. From its roots as a mechanism to deal with counterfeit goods, ACTA grew to encompass the unauthorized sharing of digital media online. This means that from targeting strictly criminal enterprises, ACTA now risks sucking in the man in the street. This one-size-fits-all approach is opposed by the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats.
“Furthermore, ACTA wrongly bundles together too many different types of IPR enforcement under the same umbrella, treating physical goods and digital services in the same way,” said Verhofstadt. “We believe they should be approached in separate sectoral agreements, and following a comprehensive and democratically debated mandate and impact assessment.”
Yesterday the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) said that ACTA may have unacceptable side effects on fundamental rights of individuals.
“While more international cooperation is needed for the enforcement of intellectual property rights, the means envisaged must not come at the expense of the fundamental rights of individuals,” assistant European data protection supervisor Giovanni Buttarelli said in a statement.
“A right balance between the fight against intellectual property infringements and the rights to privacy and data protection must be respected. It appears that ACTA has not been fully successful in this respect.”
This is a breaking news story and will be updated

IdolEyes787
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
I consider you a bit of an idiot.

Source Me.

manker
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Admit it.
This is how you flirt irl.

IdolEyes787
04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Admit it.

No in real life I toss my hair back and bat my eyelashes.
If that fails then I flex everything real hard.
If that fails I wipe my forehead with hundred dollar bills.
If that fails then I give up as I don't date blind lesbian hippies.

manker
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Admit it.

No in real life I toss my hair back and bat my eyelashes.
If that fails then I flex everything real hard.
If that fails I wipe my forehead with hundred dollar bills.
If that fails then I give up as I don't date blind lesbian hippies.Sometimes I think that you're just quoting obscure movie lines at me, safe in the knowledge that I'll post a blinky smiley and move on.
Other times you give me a valuable insight into your private life :smilie4:

mjmacky
04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Flirts with effeminate men, body builders, whores and lesbian hippies. I'd recommend widening your market Idol, there seems to be enough room for some me in there. Let's see if you can't wet a spot on my panties.

manker
04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
I'd recommend widening your market, Idol109467

IdolEyes787
04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Sometimes I think that you're just quoting obscure movie lines at me, safe in the knowledge that I'll post a blinky smiley and move on.
Other times you give me a valuable insight into your private life :smilie4:

Generally I post what I do because I'm under the impression that the whole idea behind the internet was to either take advantage of others or to attempt to put yourself in the worst light possible.

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd recommend widening your market, IdolPIC

mjmacky
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Caught this one on facebook, the story being that someone artistrated this for a school in Taiwan or something, and apparently everyone thought it was Superman.

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Look...Up in the sky...It's a bird...It's a plane...

Aw, shit! It's Super Goatse again. :angry:

zot
04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
It seems the OP was off-topic. :(

megabyteme
04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
It seems the OP was off-topic. :(

No, ACTA is essentially a Goatse to the masses.

sonic1
04-28-2012, 04:59 AM
what ever apparently you dont care About laws like this and if it would pass this site would be no more, Plus Acta carries a 10 year Jail sentence for copyright infringement horrible yes it is so why dont you all on this thread stop posting crap about me because i dont give a damn what you say nor do i care, so if you wanna keep posting like idiots then keep posting till your heart's content

megabyteme
04-28-2012, 05:47 AM
what ever apparently you dont care About laws like this and if it would pass this site would be no more, Plus Acta carries a 10 year Jail sentence for copyright infringement horrible yes it is so why dont you all on this thread stop posting crap about me because i dont give a damn what you say nor do i care, so if you wanna keep posting like idiots then keep posting till your heart's content

Perhaps next time you may actually say something with your post instead of simply copy & pasting some article you found. If that is what you wish to do, take it to the front page "news" section, or if you want real discussion, take it to the Drawing Room.

Basically, you've stepped into a lion's den with a lollipop in one hand, and a newspaper in the other. Instead of lecturing people who have years more time here than you on how they should respond to you c&p and/or good gumdrops, try READING a bit from each section along with the site rules- these things will tell you what's up so that others don't have to pat you on the bum, or bite your fucking head off.

Got it yet, sugar plum?

sonic1
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
well next time ill know

chalice
04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
well next time ill know

Make sure you fucking do, Tiny Tears.

Snee
04-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Basically, this is good news, for reals. Wrong thread in the wrong place, however.

sonic1
04-29-2012, 04:37 AM
What ever, Again i dont care what you say

sonic1
04-29-2012, 04:38 AM
yup it is good news iam glad acta was rejected

megabyteme
04-29-2012, 05:58 AM
What ever, Again i dont care what you say

Kinda limits the reason anyone would reply to one of your posts then, doesn't it, Sweet Tooth.

zot
04-29-2012, 06:13 AM
It seems that in many forums, any topic that does not fit neatly into any other sections is considered "lounge" material by default. (and a lot of lounge sections may be highly moderated - often to the extreme) Sometimes they create another section that allows inane topics or anything-goes type posts, it might be called "The Asylum" or "the Torture Chamber" or something like that, to distinguish it from the typically more conservative, family-friendly 'lounge' section.

There is a section here called "the Drawing Room" but with topics like "Why is Mary a paedophile?" - it might seem at first glance to be a bit of a cesspool (and it was for some reason placed at the very bottom of the "other Discussions" division, as if to serve as a drainage bilge) so I can understand why people might be turned off.

megabyteme
04-29-2012, 07:47 AM
There is a section here called "the Drawing Room" but with topics like "Why is Mary a paedophile?" - it might seem at first glance to be a bit of a cesspool (and it was for some reason placed at the very bottom of the "other Discussions" division, as if to serve as a drainage bilge) so I can understand why people might be turned off.

Anyone worthy of a "deep" discussion would look past the thread title, and give the OP a read. Once they did, they would realize that there was a fair amount of thought put into the topic, and one could actually have a real discussion on free speech limitations- including ones that strike the VAST majority as "dark" or offensive in nature. A worthwhile exploration if someone wished to go there. It is also the kind of "controversial" topic that has potential (it failed to do so) to add some new life to a now slow section.

You have shown yourself to be quite a capable thinker, zot. Hopefully, you will find some topics that you wish to make a stand on and the section can reboot from there.

As for The Lounge becoming an "appropriate" place to throw all the dregs of forumular waste, that's been tried. I'll give you a guess as to how well that was received... :whistling

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Perhaps next time you may actually say something with your post instead of simply copy & pasting some article you found. If that is what you wish to do, take it to the front page "news" section, or if you want real discussion, take it to the Drawing Room.

Basically, you've stepped into a lion's den with a lollipop in one hand, and a newspaper in the other. Instead of lecturing people who have years more time here than you on how they should respond to you c&p and/or good gumdrops, try READING a bit from each section along with the site rules- these things will tell you what's up so that others don't have to pat you on the bum, or bite your fucking head off.

Got it yet, sugar plum?

It seems that in many forums, any topic that does not fit neatly into any other sections is considered "lounge" material by default. (and a lot of lounge sections may be highly moderated - often to the extreme) Sometimes they create another section that allows inane topics or anything-goes type posts, it might be called "The Asylum" or "the Torture Chamber" or something like that, to distinguish it from the typically more conservative, family-friendly 'lounge' section.

@sonic
I'll have a serious discussion anywhere, I'll also goof off in any section. But a poorly formatted wall of text... not for me. I have a hard enough time being able to read sentences in one go, let alone keep a line count on a tartan pattern.

Edit: I was only quoting for context, not implicating either of you. I should have put an @ up there... you know what, that's what I'll do.