PDA

View Full Version : History repeating

Squeamous
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I've noticed STM&SD tends to confuse the use of 'to' and 'too'. Also he says 'should of' rather than 'should have'.

Should I be concerned? The former makes me think I'm destined for the primary rainforest in the sky.

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Dump this guy immediately, and seek out someone you have absolutely no attraction too. Surely, he'll be a better choice. In fact, I give you my unreserved blessing too merry him.

Barbarossa
04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
What the fuck is an STM&SD?

manker
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Have you seen Face Off.

Also, when replying to the correspondence which contains the errors, just correct the errors and nothing more, don't answer or refer to anything outside grammaticasting. No kisses or anything.
There'll be tears and sulks but it's kinder in the long run.

I've had a similar battle with teh missus. It took a while, but I now regard her performance in this area as adequate.

Artemis
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
If the past is any indicator you may have to take steps, FUCKING LARGE STEPS in the opposite direction. :blink:

manker
04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
How can you not know this.

It's no wonder you've lost your touch with stalking :no:

Barbarossa
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
How can you not know this.

It's no wonder you've lost your touch with stalking :no:

The allure and lustre of the stalking game has been really dulled of late :(

Squeamous
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Have you seen Face Off.

Also, when replying to the correspondence which contains the errors, just correct the errors and nothing more, don't answer or refer to anything outside grammaticasting. No kisses or anything.
There'll be tears and sulks but it's kinder in the long run.

I've had a similar battle with teh missus. It took a while, but I now regard her performance in this area as adequate.

:yikes:

Sir, I admire your giant balls.

Dump this guy immediately, and seek out someone you have absolutely no attraction too. Surely, he'll be a better choice. In fact, I give you my unreserved blessing too merry him.

:happy:

manker
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
'tis nothing. When I know it feels right, I just set my jaw and plow on with little regard to what's happening without.
Which also happens to be my modus operandi wrt secks.

Squeamous
04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
'tis nothing. When I know it feels right, I just set my jaw and plow on with little regard to what's happening without.

And also mine :smilie4:
I was thinking of correcting him an hour or so ago, but we were having a heart to heart on something. It would have been the best comedy timing evar but I just didn't have your giant balls. Maybe one day I'll be ready :no:

manker
04-26-2012, 01:09 PM

And also mine :smilie4:
I was thinking of correcting him an hour or so ago, but we were having a heart to heart on something. It would have been the best comedy timing evar but I just didn't have your giant balls. Maybe one day I'll be ready :no:You've taught me so much about cervices, tis only fair that I impart testicle wisdom.

Also, you conduct heart-to-hearts via the medium of the written word?
I sometimes get drawn into this, but I hate it on account of not being able to string three sentences together without being a sarcastic twat. I try to encourage procrastination til we both get home, in the hope that she'll see a butterfly or a kitten in the meantime and forget all about the really important emotional issue.

Squeamous
04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
You've taught me so much about cervices, tis only fair that I impart testicle wisdom.

I sometimes get drawn into this, but I hate it on account of not being able to string three sentences together without being a sarcastic twat. I try to encourage procrastination til we both get home, in the hope that she'll see a butterfly or a kitten in the meantime and forget all about the really important emotional issue.

STM&SD doesn't make it easy either. If I do manage to get it out verbally without passing out with the strain, he'll wait until I'm done then quietly edge towards the kitchen to wash up the dishes as if I'm a particularly badly made IED.
The written word is better. I'm less awkward and sweaty with several miles of cabling between us.

manker
04-26-2012, 01:53 PM
You've taught me so much about cervices, tis only fair that I impart testicle wisdom.

STM&SD doesn't make it easy either. If I do manage to get it out verbally without passing out with the strain, he'll wait until I'm done then quietly edge towards the kitchen to wash up the dishes as if I'm a particularly badly made IED.
The written word is better. I'm less awkward and sweaty with several miles of cabling between us.
Middle class people are funny. We've got you, a girl, unable to properly express emotions and a guy washing up.

Also, I'm surprised you have any time for torturing rats, what with posting pish and protracted email exchanges.
One wonders if you got a pay-raise of above the interest rate this year :smilie4:

Squeamous
04-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Middle class people are funny. We've got you, a girl, unable to properly express emotions and a guy washing up.

Also, I'm surprised you have any time for torturing rats, what with posting pish and protracted email exchanges.
One wonders if you got a pay-raise of above the interest rate this year :smilie4:

FB chat actually :smilie4:
In fact I got a bonus...the maximum allowed. We're not allowed pay rises anymore. But I would never tell anyone, I keep my light under a bushel which in turn is kept deep underground in a secret location :happy:

manker
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
In fact I got a bonus...the maximum allowed. We're not allowed pay rises anymore. But I would never tell anyone, I keep my light under a bushel which in turn is kept deep underground in a secret location :happy:That's the way to be. Who wants to hear unsolicited news of how great a person thinks he or she is. As you've ably demonstrated, it's much better to use it a time where the information is of a contradictory nature or specifically requested.

A person who would force the issue, especially when the news is of a mundane manner - for example a pay rise of slightly more than 0.5%, is quite frankly seeking a little too hard for the external validation of his or her peers.

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
A person who would force the issue, especially when the news is of a mundane manner - for example a pay rise of slightly more than 0.5%, is quite frankly seeking a little too hard for the external validation of his or her peers.

You are just spewing your accountantary bile. Mathematical bully. :dry:

Something Else
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM

What is merrying someone exactly. Pervert.

Biggles
04-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I've noticed STM&SD tends to confuse the use of 'to' and 'too'. Also he says 'should of' rather than 'should have'.

Should I be concerned? The former makes me think I'm destined for the primary rainforest in the sky.

I also have no idea what a STM&SD might be. Is it one of the old BT telephone connections? :idunno:

The appalling grammar is frightful though.

Biggles
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM

I thought that sounded quite sweet...I had a mental image of feathers and sticks of rock.

manker
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM

I also have no idea what a STM&SD might be. Is it one of the old BT telephone connections? :idunno:

That's a bit harsh, mate. She did pretty well in that post, for a girl.

I do agree, though, that she could up her game in this respect, somewhat.

manker
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM

You're right. I felt like the grinch when I made it.

Dave probably thought it was fantastic but bosses of call centres are notorious cunts. See the inflation rate is something like 3.5% at the moment, so even though Dave's pay 'rise' is above the interest rate, in real terms, he is most likely worse off.

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Obviously, you aren't doing it right. :snooty:

megabyteme
04-26-2012, 11:42 PM
You're right. I felt like the grinch when I made it.

Dave probably thought it was fantastic but bosses of call centres are notorious cunts. See the inflation rate is something like 3.5% at the moment, so even though Dave's pay 'rise' is above the interest rate, in real terms, he is most likely worse off.

My father turned his ill-gotten gains (from drug dealing) into gold in 1987. It flat-lined for over 3 decades. He held "strong", and last I saw him, he had a smugness about him. :pinch:

Had he purchased Micro$oft or Apple (the names were certainly out there as industry leaders by that time), he'd own the upper part of Idaho. As it stands, he's got about (my estimate) $80k in gold and silver. His property also dropped by about $30k since the housing implosion. FTMP, he's got about what he started with. :pinch:

I'm waiting for an appropriate time to tell him of his "investment". :angel:

Squeamous
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
That's the way to be. Who wants to hear unsolicited news of how great a person thinks he or she is. As you've ably demonstrated, it's much better to use it a time where the information is of a contradictory nature or specifically requested.

Yup, false modesty is definitely the way to go :smilie4:

I'm glad you've finally seen your mate/my mate for what he is: a nasty, pathetic little man who only lets you post what he/common decency dictates is acceptable and won't let you throw shit all over whoever you want, whether you want to or not. But if you refuse to let him chuck and more bile and shit at you he'll just hate you, and I know why he wants to hate you, I know why he wants to hate you. I know why he wants to hate you. Because hate is all the world has ever seen lately.

Star Trek M&S Dewd.....a special friend of mine :smilie4:

Take your bile and spew it at someone who cares, bile spewer.

mjmacky
04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
God damn it takes some women a long fucking time to climax, but when she does, it's great.

Artemis
04-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Oi manker, isn't about time to pull the dust cover off, check the coil springs, wind it back into position, and release the banhammer?

megabyteme
04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
God damn it takes some women a long fucking time to climax, but when she does, it's great.

Is that what that was? I was so scared I had to finish reading it from under the table.

Oh, please God, never let me see another woman climax... :fear:

manker
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Yup, false modesty is definitely the way to go :smilie4:

I'm glad you've finally seen your mate/my mate for what he is: a nasty, pathetic little man who only lets you post what he/common decency dictates is acceptable and won't let you throw shit all over whoever you want, whether you want to or not. But if you refuse to let him chuck and more bile and shit at you he'll just hate you, and I know why he wants to hate you, I know why he wants to hate you. I know why he wants to hate you. Because hate is all the world has ever seen lately.

Take your bile and spew it at someone who cares, bile spewer.
:glag: :earl:

That is definitely the best post I've ever read today.

Squeamous
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Biggles
04-27-2012, 06:59 PM

I read that and though Aww...that is sweet...you dress up in Trekkie outfits and as Captain Picard he spanks you for being a naughty 7of9.......

then I realised it was M&S :huh:

:idunno:

manker
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Since when as sadomasochism been sweet :blink:
A new picture of you is beginning to form in my mind.

Biggles
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Happy couple in perfect harmony (and star trek outfits)

:naughty:

manker
04-27-2012, 07:29 PM

This new picture involves you looking somewhat like that :naughty: smilie. Albeit with a greying goatee and red shorts. And a football whistle.

Biggles
04-27-2012, 07:37 PM

This new picture involves you looking somewhat like that :naughty: smilie. Albeit with a greying goatee and red shorts. And a football whistle.

How could you possibly guess the whistle! :huh: ...the shorts are a given obviously

manker
04-27-2012, 07:42 PM
It was all part of chavois', spookily accurate, dream.
Remember? He thought you looked like Barry McGuigan because he'd seen you in a phoatie you'd posted of yourself refereeing a footie match.

Except it transpired that you didn't post one and it all got a bit weird.
For me, anyway :ermm:

Biggles
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
It was all part of chavois', spookily accurate, dream.
Remember? He thought you looked like Barry McGuigan because he'd seen you in a phoatie you'd posted of yourself refereeing a footie match.

Except it transpired that you didn't post one and it all got a bit weird.
For me, anyway :ermm:

No, it was a bit surreal for me too to be honest. I mean if he had gone for Fyfe Robertson chasing sheep I might have been alarmed but Barry McGuigan :unsure:

chalice
04-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Last night I dreamt that I was so pished that I got out of bed in a drunken stupor and urinated in the wardrobe. Afterwards I kept waking up and glancing guiltily towards it, convinced of my debasement, scrambling for a viable excuse for the missus. Imagine my relief when I finally woke up proper and it was all a dream. Or was it.

True story.

Artemis
04-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Last night I dreamt that I was so pished that I got out of bed in a drunken stupor and urinated in the wardrobe. Afterwards I kept waking up and glancing guiltily towards it, convinced of my debasement, scrambling for a viable excuse for the missus. Imagine my relief when I finally woke up proper and it was all a dream. Or was it.

True story.

A simple test: open the wardrobe and take a wiff, if it's a urine free zone you're sweet :D

If not go to plan B and blame it on the dog.
If you don't own a dog say you were going to surprise your wife by getting her a new dog but the dirty bastard pissed in the wardrobe and you were so angry you kicked it up the arse and it ran away. :blink:

megabyteme
04-28-2012, 08:03 AM

True story.

A simple test: open the wardrobe and take a wiff, if it's a urine freezone you're sweet :D

Play it safe, and call the dog over to the wardrobe before opening it. If there's a problem, IMMEDIATELY begin scolding the dog. The wife will wake up to the commotion, and can be suckered asked to clean up the defiled clothes FAR easier than if you did it yourself.

mjmacky
04-28-2012, 08:11 AM

True story.

Scouring the wardrobe with your wash, you cleanly man you.

chalice
04-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Still not completely convinced I didn't, to be totally honest. It was rather vivid. There's no puddle per se, but there's a suspicious whiff from a pair of the missus's Carvela shoes which I shall be attributing to her feet.

The jury is well and truly out on this one, chaps.

Artemis
04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Still not completely convinced I didn't, to be totally honest. It was rather vivid. There's no puddle per se, but there's a suspicious whiff from a pair of the missus's Carvela shoes which I shall be attributing to her feet.

It's funny you should mention that, my missus feet are feckin diabolical, she takes her shoes off and you're looking around for the dead body, so you've got a good'un there. ;)

mjmacky
04-28-2012, 09:26 AM
It's because they don't where nice thick reinforced cotton socks. They just put skin to hide or polymer and let that merger sweat it out for the day. I don't think my feet have had a stench in years. I'd say 96 % of the time I'm wearing a pair of socks.

chalice
04-28-2012, 09:28 AM

It's funny you should mention that, my missus feet are feckin diabolical, she takes her shoes off and you're looking around for the dead body, so you've got a good'un there. ;)

Swings and roundabouts, Art. What she lacks in foot odour she makes up for in being a mental OCD victim. I say victim, I mean tyrannical maniac. I'm the only real victim here. :emo:

chalice
04-28-2012, 09:29 AM
It's because they don't where nice thick reinforced cotton socks. They just put skin to hide or polymer and let that merger sweat it out for the day. I don't think my feet have had a stench in years. I'd say 96 % of the time I'm wearing a pair of socks.

True that. That and ridiculous fucking shoes designed by the Spanish Inquisition.

mjmacky
04-28-2012, 09:47 AM
For thought:

Vinegary: bacteria produced propionic acid CH3-CH2-C(OH)=O as opposed to acetic acid CH3-C(OH)=O (vinegar)

Cheesy: bacteria produced 3-methylbutanoic acid (CH3)2CH-CH2-C(OH)=O

Artemis
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM
For thought:

Vinegary: bacteria produced propionic acid CH3-CH2-C(OH)=O as opposed to acetic acid CH3-C(OH)=O (vinegar)

As I said more corpsey :blink:

IdolEyes787
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
For thought:

I need to remember that in case I ever find myself searching for a pickup line.

Biggles
04-28-2012, 12:40 PM

I would say nothing about the the dream and casually ask if the neighbour's cat has been in the house.

Artemis
04-28-2012, 12:56 PM

I would say nothing about the the dream and casually ask if the neighbour's cat has been in the house.

I went for dog on that basis of Chalice bein' Irish 'n' all and figuring on a fairly largish bladder......

Biggles
04-28-2012, 12:59 PM

I went for dog on that basis of Chalice bein' Irish 'n' all and figuring on a fairly largish bladder......

Fair point...dogs do drink Guinness of an occasion too.

mjmacky
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
For thought:

Despairingly, I know specifics of the smell of death.

Artemis
04-29-2012, 09:24 AM

But did you cause it? :naughty:

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Wait that was a total fucking misprint. I don't know the specifics about the smell of death. Like I'd try to play hardass. Death is too many different smells, is it not, depend on what's dying.

Artemis
04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Wait that was a total fucking misprint. I don't know the specifics about the smell of death. Like I'd try to play hardass. Death is too many different smells, is it not, depend on what's dying.

Actually that is kind of on the mark, strange and slightly creepy as it is, different dead things do smell different, but the smell of decomposition is unmistakable. I notice that you like to examine different subjects in depth so I am trying to give an honest if limited answer. Generally you can tell if it is a large or small animal though just from the strength but it is nothing like checking the vintage on that nice Pinot Gris....

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Tell us Artie, tell of the aromas of your journey; as you traversed in and out of rivers, streams of death in life, whose banks were rotting into mud, whose waters thickened with slime, invaded the contorted mangroves, that seemed to writhe at you in the extremity of an impotent despair.

Was there anywhere that you stopped long enough to get a particularised impression of the necrotic redolence? Or perhaps did general scents of vague and oppressive odors grow upon you?

IdolEyes787
04-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Tell us Artie, tell of the aromas of your journey; as you traversed in and out of rivers, streams of death in life, whose banks were rotting into mud, whose waters thickened with slime, invaded the contorted mangroves, that seemed to writhe at you in the extremity of an impotent despair.

Was there anywhere that you stopped long enough to get a particularised impression of the necrotic redolence? Or perhaps did general scents of vague and oppressive odors grow upon you?

Sounds like India.

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 06:07 PM

Sounds like India.

Souther

Artemis
04-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Now in preparation for yet another one of your treatise of overkill when I was actually trying to respond civilly I interjected a word that 'hopefully' was not going to set free your flight of fancy. The word was limited. I see I was wrong though. That didn't slow you down at all, this is what happens at the end of loooooong ass periods awake, and skim reading posts, our comprehension skills plummet. No I am not a C.S.I, no I do not go traipsing rivers, swamps (lots of them here) and various other delights looking for the recently deceased, but I do however deal in livestock. Sometimes our own livestock and our neighbors livestock transition to another state of being unattended, and not all of them get discovered while completely fresh. Another inconvenient fact, although death is 24-7 the local carrier that picks up dead animals is working hours only so if an animal pops off at 6p.m. on friday it gets to hang around an hum the whole weekend till pick up, unless you you happen to have a backhoe lying around to dig a rather large hole, or spend the better part of a day digging it yourself.

mjmacky
04-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Now in preparation for yet another one of your treatise of overkill when I was actually trying to respond civilly I interjected a word that 'hopefully' was not going to set free your flight of fancy. The word was limited. I see I was wrong though. That didn't slow you down at all, this is what happens at the end of loooooong ass periods awake, and skim reading posts, our comprehension skills plummet. No I am not a C.S.I, no I do not go traipsing rivers, swamps (lots of them here) and various other delights looking for the recently deceased, but I do however deal in livestock. Sometimes our own livestock and our neighbors livestock transition to another state of being unattended, and not all of them get discovered while completely fresh. Another inconvenient fact, although death is 24-7 the local carrier that picks up dead animals is working hours only so if an animal pops off at 6p.m. on friday it gets to hang around an hum the whole weekend till pick up, unless you you happen to have a backhoe lying around to dig a rather large hole, or spend the better part of a day digging it yourself.

I was just doing a Conrad impersonation.

Squeamous
04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
I read that and though Aww...that is sweet...you dress up in Trekkie outfits and as Captain Picard he spanks you for being a naughty 7of9.......

then I realised it was M&S :huh:

:idunno:

I'm still working on that. I'm a patient woman :shifty:

True story.

I once had a dream I was sitting on the toilet, and then promptly pissed the bed. Now whenever I go to the toilet I pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming it, and actually asleep on the 23.15 to Waterloo or something else.

Some plastic shoes do that :pinch:
Stinky feet are my pet peeve.

mjmacky
04-30-2012, 10:43 AM
and actually asleep on the 23.15 to Waterloo or something else.

Isn't that a water park ride? It's OK to pee on water park rides, racing your pee to the bottom.

About stinky feet, fashion is the culprit. Well maybe poverty too.

Squeamous
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Isn't that a water park ride? It's OK to pee on water park rides, racing your pee to the bottom.

It's a train station in London you oik :snooty:

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 04:59 AM

It's a train station in London you oik :snooty:

Weird, you guys ride on trains? What's it like?

Squeamous
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
It smells of pee and vomit :snooty:

mjmacky
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
It smells of pee and vomit :snooty:

What's the train like after you deboard?

Squeamous
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Do you mean *disembark*?
If you do, the answer is still the same: :snooty:

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Do you mean *disembark*?
If you do, the answer is still the same: :snooty:

No I did not mean disembark. In fact, I specifically chose deboard to avoid using disembark. The problem with disembark was that it gives it a feel of a lengthy journey, and I was trying to imply that you boarded smelling of vomit and urine rather than having produced the aromas during the trip.

Shortbus explanation: Deboard makes me think short trip

Barbarossa
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Our station announcers stubbornly use the word alight, as in "please mind the gap when alighting from this train".

It never sounds right to me.. :ermm:

manker
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I think we need to put these words in order of goodness. Deboard sounds like you're ripping up a floor, disembark is a solid term but evokes a maritime feel and alight is a rather lovely intransitive verb that will confuse approximately 92% of non-British people due to them thinking of fire.

So; alight > disembark > deboard.

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I think we need to put these words in order of goodness. Deboard sounds like you're ripping up a floor, disembark is a solid term but evokes a maritime feel and alight is a rather lovely intransitive verb that will confuse approximately 92% of non-British people due to them thinking of fire.

So; alight > disembark > deboard.

go choo choo > yours

Squeamous
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
'Deboard' isn't even a real word so it comes nowhere on the scale. I'll second Manky's motion for implementation of the word 'alight'. It gives the impression that when I get off the train in my putrid miasma, a railway gentleman is there to help me step lightly and delicately from the doorway.

mjmacky
05-02-2012, 05:22 PM
'Deboard' isn't even a real word so it comes nowhere on the scale. I'll second Manky's motion for implementation of the word 'alight'. It gives the impression that when I get off the train in my putrid miasma, a railway gentleman is there to help me step lightly and delicately from the doorway.

File it under my 100 infractions for making up words because I like the way they sound.

Detrain is a word, and it sounds shitty, they'refore I'm not using it.

Squeamous
05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
File it under my 100 infractions for making up words because I like the way they sound.

Mightn't it be better if you didn't use any? x

Biggles
05-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Or as a Glaswegian clippie might say "Cummoangetaff"

Biggles
05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Today I has mostly been having impure thoughts about Louise Mensch and was emmodderated on the Guardian for saying she was hawt.

Humourless bastards that they are :dabs:

Artemis
05-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Deplane wasn't a real word until Fantasy Island, and Wendy wasn't a real name until Peter Pan, popular culture has so much to blame for corrupting our youth. :idunno:

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 02:40 AM

Mightn't it be better if you didn't use any? x

Trap your yap!

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 02:42 AM
and Wendy wasn't a real name until Peter Pan

It made it popular but I don't think it invented the name.

Artemis
05-03-2012, 03:17 AM
and Wendy wasn't a real name until Peter Pan

One I remember studying, from J.M. Barrie's play Peter Pan (1904) it was created from the nickname fwendy. I checked the etymology anyway, there is one other possible source, the name Gwendolyn, normally shortened to Gwen which could be attributed to Wendy 'rarely' .

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 04:46 AM

One I remember studying, from J.M. Barrie's play Peter Pan (1904) it was created from the nickname fwendy. I checked the etymology anyway, there is one other possible source, the name Gwendolyn, normally shortened to Gwen which could be attributed to Wendy 'rarely' .

I was only trying to say there had to be at least a few Wendy chicks or blokes in existence before 1904. That's just how some names get popularized, through literature, music, or pop culture in general (e.g. Amanda, Shirley, Geraldine). Some are thoroughly invented in said media though (Vanessa, Dorian, Pamela). I'm just saying Wendy is of the former group.

Artemis
05-03-2012, 06:30 AM

I was only trying to say there had to be at least a few Wendy chicks or blokes in existence before 1904. That's just how some names get popularized, through literature, music, or pop culture in general (e.g. Amanda, Shirley, Geraldine). Some are thoroughly invented in said media though (Vanessa, Dorian, Pamela). I'm just saying Wendy is of the former group.

Please do find a few Wendy chicks and blokes in existence before the play in 1904. The name is a contraction of the nickname fwendy from the play, it is recognised as such, just saying won't change that. I will repeat the only other possible etymological root is Gwendolyn, the normal contraction is Gwen there is also the celtic Gwyneth (-Gwynedd) but thats about it. :idunno:

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Please do find a few Wendy chicks and blokes in existence before the play in 1904.

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
That was just a small cross section, seems like there are thousands of legitimate Wendy folk, i.e. they didn't just change their name after the play. Thank god you didn't ask me to come up with something before there was such a thing as a census.

Squeamous
05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
The point is, mjmacky hasn't done anything of any repute yet, so doesn't have the right to make up words. When he writes a book or something he can shove as much of his brain muck in there as he likes. Until then I am placing 'deboard' in linguistic quarantine.

Quarterquack
05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
The point is, mjmacky hasn't done anything of any repute yet, so doesn't have the right to make up words. When he writes a book or something he can shove as much of his brain muck in there as he likes. Until then I am placing 'deboard' in linguistic quarantine.

What? Deboard is a word. It's a family name. And that makes it a word. It's not a pragmatic English language word, but it is phonetically accounted for in the English language and many people use it as a proper noun on a regular basis. Deboard is a word like Haha is an onomatopoeic word. For all you know, 20 years in the future Deboard is the name of a president, Ziggy starts using the word as a verb to indicate success in his projects, it manifests as lower social caste slang, and eventually seeps into high culture language, like ballet, but much more woody.

People lost this argument against Macky the minute he sidestepped the definition of "Word".

Squeamous
05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Blah blah blah blah.

Linguistic quarantine is not negotiable or debateable.

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM

You know what, I'm going to work "deboard" into my next paper just to spite you. I don't care how much I have to tweak an analogy to warrant the inclusion of a train.

mjmacky
05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Blah blah blah blah.

That's very negatable.

manker
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
You know, the practice of slapping a negative prefix onto a word to indicate its antonym is particularly frowned upon in linguistic circles. I recently wanted to know the what the opposite to anthropomorphism was. I immediately thought of, and rejected, ananthropomorphism because of the sheer inelegance and settled for zoomorphism instead.

The point is that deboard is such a lazy and inelegant way of expressing this particular action that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it gaining widespread acceptance. I looked at it earlier in the thread and thought; 'ew' - without even being aware that it wasn't some kind of official merkin bastardisation of English.
That's right, it's too shit even for Americans, gut instincts ftw :smilie4:

Also, Dathy lost that argument when he capitalised haha. Proper noun, is it؟

manker
05-03-2012, 03:38 PM
And also, I learned the word somnambulation form Arty yesterday.

Cheers, artster :happy:

Barbarossa
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I invented a word once:- somnafunambulism.

It means tightrope walking while asleep. :happy:

It's pretty specialised, and hasn't gained widespread acceptance yet... :ermm:

Squeamous
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

That's very negatable.

It's my quarantine and I decide!!

You know, the practice of slapping a negative prefix onto a word to indicate its antonym is particularly frowned upon in linguistic circles. I recently wanted to know the what the opposite to anthropomorphism was. I immediately thought of, and rejected, ananthropomorphism because of the sheer inelegance and settled for zoomorphism instead.

The point is that deboard is such a lazy and inelegant way of expressing this particular action that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it gaining widespread acceptance. I looked at it earlier in the thread and thought; 'ew' - without even being aware that it wasn't some kind of official merkin bastardisation of English.

I would have thought I'd enjoy watching you metaphorically butt fucking Darthy and Mary, but as it turns out I just feel embarrassed and disgusted at the spectacle :no:

You know what, I'm going to work "deboard" into my next paper just to spite you. I don't care how much I have to tweak an analogy to warrant the inclusion of a train.

Brute :snooty:

Artemis
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

I am inebriated by the locquaciousness of my own vituperation. :naughty:

manker
05-03-2012, 09:30 PM

I am inebriated by the locquaciousness of my own vituperation. :naughty:It's about half ten, mate.

:eyebrows:

manker
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
That's very negatable.

It's my quarantine and I decide!!

I would have thought I'd enjoy watching you metaphorically butt fucking Darthy and Mary, but as it turns out I just feel embarrassed and disgusted at the spectacle :no:It's hardly surprising, you've been against any and all forms of anal escapades since STM&SD made you take that butt-plug like a filthy gypsy.

IdolEyes787
05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I am inebriated by the locquaciousness of my own vituperation. :naughty:It's about half ten, mate.

I don't have the heart to tell him it's loquac......

manker
05-03-2012, 11:17 PM
It's about half ten, mate.

It's probably best we don't mention it.
After an arduous day extracting aubergines, it's the last thing he needs.

Artemis
05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
It's about half ten, mate.

Hoisted by my own petard.... :glagpinch:

mjmacky
05-04-2012, 04:09 AM
The point is that deboard is such a lazy and inelegant way of expressing this particular action that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it gaining widespread acceptance.

If I wanted it to go mainstream, I'd demit my soul to a record exec and have it featured when the next album drops. Just because you're disappointed in your attempts to to discover the antonymous equivalent of your patois, doesn't mean you should swear it off altogether. Unless you're German, it's a bit deceptive for you to convince us of a scenario where you could elegantly elongate a word that has already matched a 16-letter count.

However, I realize I'm limiting my stereotyping by stopping at the Germans while conveniently deferring the abuses the Welsh. I'd normally include some examples, but am unable to do so without sounding them out in my head, and my brain feels a little too dehydrated to commit to that. What I'm trying to say is don't let your background keep you detained. If you just keep at it, you'll get there.

I count 5 uses.

manker
05-04-2012, 07:41 AM
The point is that deboard is such a lazy and inelegant way of expressing this particular action that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of it gaining widespread acceptance.

If I wanted it to go mainstream, I'd demit my soul to a record exec and have it featured when the next album drops. Just because you're disappointed in your attempts to to discover the antonymous equivalent of your patois, doesn't mean you should swear it off altogether. Unless you're German, it's a bit deceptive for you to convince us of a scenario where you could elegantly elongate a word that has already matched a 16-letter count.

However, I realize I'm limiting my stereotyping by stopping at the Germans while conveniently deferring the abuses the Welsh. I'd normally include some examples, but am unable to do so without sounding them out in my head, and my brain feels a little too dehydrated to commit to that. What I'm trying to say is don't let your background keep you detained. If you just keep at it, you'll get there.

I count 5 uses.Twenty to nine.

Artemis
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
When did you first start thinking you were a clock? :blink:

manker
05-04-2012, 08:06 AM
It's a defence mechanism.

Artemis
05-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Clock....mechanism, you're such a punny guy.

Something Else
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
It's the wording equivalent of the whoosh smilie. At least what I take the :whoosh: to mean.

manker
05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
It's the wording equivalent of the whoosh smilie. At least what I take the :whoosh: to mean.:no:

Something Else
05-04-2012, 11:16 PM
To me, it means that what you're saying isn't making any scents.

manker
05-04-2012, 11:35 PM
To me, it means that what you're saying isn't making any scents.Yeah, but not in a whooshy way.
I mean it can be. But I think it's an assertive 'you aren't making any sense' more than a whooshy 'I don't think you're making any sense, sir, not to me at least, but I might be wrong maybe'.

It's diplomatic :eyebrows:

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Could someone relay to manker that I'm not replying to anymore eyebrow posts.

Artemis
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Why? :idunno:

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 12:51 PM

I don't know how to interpret the tone.

Artemis
05-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Stupid is as does.

Artemis
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I am confused by some of my past posts in this fred squem's, but then I realise I am a male and head home to my mine own reality/sans any feminine timing tehehe....:naughty:

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Stupid is as does.

manker
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM

I don't know how to interpret the tone.I've told you. It's just a thinky smilie.

manker
05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Btw, I was pished last night when posting and I think my spelling stood up remarkably well.
It's been ages since I did that.

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't know how to interpret the tone.I've told you. It's just a thinky smilie.

The question is, am I thinking right now?

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Btw, I was pished last night when posting and I think my spelling stood up remarkably well.

I create more spelling errors sober. The only difference is I don't fix them while under the influence because in the moment it's all cool you know?

manker
05-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I've told you. It's just a thinky smilie.

Natch.

manker
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

I create more spelling errors sober. The only difference is I don't fix them while under the influence because in the moment it's all cool you know?
hmmz. That's not true for me.

I actually avoid putting the laptop on when I'm pished in case I'm tempted to post because I'll hate the mistakes in the morning.
I mean I try to avoid them at the time but it's harder :emo:

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Natch.

So that's the sitch then.

mjmacky
05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
hmmz. That's not true for me.

I actually avoid putting the laptop on when I'm pished in case I'm tempted to post because I'll hate the mistakes in the morning.
I mean I try to avoid them at the time but it's harder :emo:

On the other hand, I love/hate coming back the next morning and finding my threads. Allows me a chance to feel pride, shame, embarrassment, humor and humility all at the same time.

manker
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I don't mind that part, for example I was thrilled to discover that I'd carried on the fascist thing.
That would have been far outweighed, however, if I'd have noticed an errant apostrophe.

manker
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Natch.

So that's the sitch then.
You are now aware that you're breathing.

See what I'm saying.

Squeamous
05-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I am confused by some of my past posts in this fred squem's, but then I realise I am a male and head home to my mine own reality/sans any feminine timing tehehe....:naughty:

Do what now with the what in the what? :unsure:

Artemis
05-05-2012, 10:06 PM
After rereading some of the more blatant speeling errors from last nights effort while quite well gone, I am thinking of installing a breath analyser on my keyboard to save me any further embarrassment. :sadwalk:

Artemis
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Do what now with the what in the what? :unsure:
Mea Culpa :blushing: long distance drunken rambling, my previous post is becoming a more urgent priority by the minute.

Squeamous
05-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Mea Culpa :blushing: long distance drunken rambling, my previous post is becoming a more urgent priority by the minute.

Oic! Well with that in mind, yes. Yes I will :naughty:

Artemis
05-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Oic! Well with that in mind, yes. Yes I will :naughty:

I should get hammered more often. :wub:

Squeamous
05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
:happy: