PDA

View Full Version : Help Re-installing Xp

EFJACKIE
02-10-2003, 07:23 AM
OK! My windows media player is F'd up. When I click on a movie it says "internal application error has accured". I have no idea what's up with this, I tried a few diff. things to no avail..
So I've decided to just re-install (or repair install) Win XP from the disc I got.. (bad idea or good?)..

Here's my question. The directions say to configure my computer so it starts from the CD-ROM drive. How the heck do I do that??

By the way, I tried the system restore, but when I click on it a blank screen comes up.

Thanks for any advise, this forum has shown me SOOOO much!!
You people are great!!! (now answer my question)

RDanneskjold
02-10-2003, 07:44 AM
EFJACKIE <---howard stern guy?...haha...anyway..

when your computer starts up you have to go into your bios by hitting del or the F1 key....look around to where you can change the boot options to read a cd first...usually its in this order: floppy drive, cd rom drive, harddrive/ or ide drive be careful what you change in here especially if you don&#39;t know what you are doing

i assume you are wanting to repair it since you dont want to lose all your settings and files if you do a clean/reformat install

I would get Norton Antivirus 2003 and update its definitions...just in case you have a virus

Uninstall any programs that you don&#39;t use anymore in the Add/Remove option in control panel. Never delete a program youself by just deleting the folder ie. in program files&#33;&#33;

Finally Update all the windows updates you use/need ie if you dont use movie maker...no need to really update it....all the critical updates you should do....

hopefully your problem will be fixed :)

edit: spelling

Yusuke
02-10-2003, 07:45 AM
edit: posted at same time as RD, and his is a better explanation :)

EFJACKIE
02-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Thanks for taking the time RD. I&#39;m gonna try this tomorrow.

p.s. Stern rules&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

imported_computerfreak76
02-10-2003, 08:33 AM
if you hadn&#39;t done so already i would try reinstalling wmp before reinstalling windows. why go through all that trouble for one program?

Alexusa67
02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
I agreed with the last post. microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com) offers free downloads for media player 7.1 or the new beta 9. Give it a try before you re-install windows. Now, if you decide to re-install just pop the cd in it and do it from windows. If you want to do it from dos to format first or something you won&#39;t be able to do it booting from the cd, you will need to boot from floppy. (you could use a win98 boot disk even if you are installing XP)

Nobody1234
02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Alexusa67@10 February 2003 - 05:35
I agreed with the last post. microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com) offers free downloads for media player 7.1 or the new beta 9. Give it a try before you re-install windows. Now, if you decide to re-install just pop the cd in it and do it from windows. If you want to do it from dos to format first or something you won&#39;t be able to do it booting from the cd, you will need to boot from floppy. (you could use a win98 boot disk even if you are installing XP)
Agreed. Just reinstall wmp.

As for that statement about not being able to boot from the Windows XP CD to reformat???? and having to use a Win98 diskette???? I completely disagree. If you have a bootable WinXPCD just use that. You have all the tools and options to make partitions and reformat your drives before the installation on the CD.

Leech_Killer
02-10-2003, 06:04 PM
Go to www.microsoft.com and download version 9, should resolve all problems.

Stroker
02-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Nobody1234 and Leech_Killer have it right,

My suggestion: :unsure:
1) Make sure all your automated XP updates & patches are installed. (That would cover Media Player v9)

2) If ALL automated updates & patches are installed and the problem still occurs, go to the following link and download MP 9 by its self, and try a reinstall.
Windows Media Player Downloads (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp)

3) If you still can&#39;t get MP to work, you can think about doing the repair to you OS.

Re-installing is always the very LAST option you consider. If you do try a re-install, I would consider doing a fresh, parallel installation, before anything else. Basically you&#39;re installing a second copy of the same OS. You&#39;ll want to rename (add BAK or OLD to their name) some of your critical folders (ie: WINNT, Program Files, Documents and Settings). The new OS will install new copies of those folders, and you&#39;ll loose everything in them if they aren&#39;t renamed. Once the new OS is installed, you&#39;ll need to complete the automated XP update & patch installations, then reinstall any pertinent programs you were using with the other OS. Now you should be able to start transfering pertinent data from your OLD OS folders to your new OS folders. Do the transfers a little at a time. Try things out as you do the transfers, and if the transfered data works, delete the copy of the data from the OLD folders. :huh:

You can find out more about parallel OS installations from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
Microsoft Support Links (http://support.microsoft.com/)

GOOD LUCK&#33;
Stroker

EFJACKIE
02-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the help.

I tried re-installing the wmp about 3 times from there website but it always comes up with that stupid message.

Again, thanks for all the advise&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

elteeb
02-10-2003, 09:31 PM
... another easy solution is to use RealOne instead. It&#39;s pretty good I&#39;ve found. I&#39;m a bit of a new convert to it.
Had a few files that WMP really just didn&#39;t like... RealOne played them straight off. :-)

EFJACKIE
02-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I thought I had the XP disc, but I don&#39;t (damn&#33;). Is it possible to do an XP repair from one that I d/l from Kazaa? Or do I have to have the disc??

CornerPocket
02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
You&#39;ll need the disc. ;)

Leech_Killer
02-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Have you tried installing Service Pack 1, it&#39;s a little on the big side at 138mb but it does sort out a lot of bugs.

imported_stg1123
02-12-2003, 09:06 PM
Listen the most obvious answer before anything else is that you might have messed up the mp with codec installation. Firsr try deleting/uninstalling all codecs on the comp and see if itll play a basic .avi. If that fixes it then the problem is over, just install the latest K-Lite codec pack from the main site. Now if that doesnt work it probably is better to reinstall xp (when you get the disc) to answer your original question its always much better to install a fresh copy rather than repairing. As for making a backup the only things you really need to back up on another drive are your favorites/email settings(if u use outlook)/dat files if ur downloading some stuff/and my documents. I am a profesional now at reinstalling xp ive done it maybe 30/40 times and in terms of the proigrams you are running they are easy to get (from kazaa) in order to reinstall. (as for the outlook express - files and settings transfer wizard works amazing) and now im becoming pro and tweaking the source for my documents to be set in D :)
Anyways have fun

ShareDaddy
02-12-2003, 09:31 PM
One reason you may have be unable to use the "Go Back" feature of XP is that you do not have it turned on. Make sure to have it turned on so that in the future it works. It must be on so that it keeps images of your disk at timed intervals and whenever software is added or removed. Just a reminder, with it on it will consume a good portion of hard drive space to do so.

ooo
02-12-2003, 09:35 PM
why dunt u just dl another window media player.... mine didnt work either... i just deleted it / uninstalled.... im using real player now....

EFJACKIE
02-12-2003, 10:28 PM
I use real one player, but I do like the wmp better... Also my help and support doesn&#39;t work, and I think my F-keys aren&#39;t working either.

I was gonna use the restore (I do have it turned on), but when I try and get to it, my F8 key does nothing..

imported_stg1123
02-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Listen there is no need to press any f keys in a system restore. It sounds that you have corrupted or have a corrupted version of xp with all these problems, do yourself a favour get yourself a decent copy of xp pro and make a clean install on your c drive(make sure you format the drive before installing).
And you know what, if you are really in doubt, surely you must know someone in your area who could help you a little, hey maybe it&#39;ll be the same guy who lends you the xp disk.

:D