PDA

View Full Version : help seting up seedbox on freebsd

spaceranger
05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
can someone give me a noob friendly guide on how to setup seedbox on FreeBSD? the only tuts i see include wget & yum and FreeBSD does not have it

Waddafocky
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
sounds like freebsd ain't the distro for you bro

Funkin'
05-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Why don't you ask on the bsd forums?

atrwz
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
do you even know what wget and yum is?

absent_today
05-06-2012, 01:19 PM
wget is used to stuff from internet and yum is a installer in bsd
Damn Debian is so awesome.

Waddafocky
05-06-2012, 07:43 PM
how is yum a bsd installer and what does this have to do with debian anyways

OlegL
05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
OP, FreeBSD has wget in its ports collection. You can compile it and install it by going to /usr/ports/ftp/wget directory and typing "make install clean". There is no yum in ports. Hopefully, my response was helpful to you.

mjmacky
05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
OP, FreeBSD has wget in its ports collection. You can compile it and install it by going to /usr/ports/ftp/wget directory and typing "make install clean". There is no yum in ports. Hopefully, my response was helpful to you.

I wish it was always you at the other end of a tech support call.

Artemis
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Yum stands for the Yellowdog Update Manager it is the standard package interface for Redhat based Linux distributions. The reason you cannot find it in FreeBSD is that you are using tutorials for the wrong Operating system. You have two choices. The easiest one is to switch to a branch of the operating system in the tutorial i.e. Redhat/Fedora or the second choice is to find tutorials that deal with configuring a seedbox under FreeBSD. The question I have is why would you configure a seedbox using FreeBSD when there are SELinux distro's available which offer a high level of security (ie Fedora) but are far less awkward to configure than FreeBSD which after all is designed for large server farms.

A
05-20-2012, 09:12 AM
The question I have is why would you configure a seedbox using FreeBSD when there are SELinux distro's available which offer a high level of security (ie Fedora) but are far less awkward to configure than FreeBSD which after all is designed for large server farms.
I feel comfortable with jails in freebsd than SELinux in linux distros.

Artemis
05-20-2012, 09:35 AM
The question I have is why would you configure a seedbox using FreeBSD when there are SELinux distro's available which offer a high level of security (ie Fedora) but are far less awkward to configure than FreeBSD which after all is designed for large server farms.

That is the reason why I rarely bother trying to type reasoned replies to questions any more, because illiterate cunts come back with stupid one liners all the time.

A
05-20-2012, 09:45 AM

That is the reason why I rarely bother trying to type reasoned replies to questions any more, because illiterate cunts come back with stupid one liners all the time.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_jail

edit:
Two lines.

Artemis
05-20-2012, 10:10 AM

edit:
Two lines.

It's like extracting teeth round here, what does it take for you to write complete sentences and explain yourself? The contention still stands by the way Aby, no matter how comfortable you are setting up jail or whether you just found it doing a search using google which is what I suspect from the lack of explanation on your part, how exactly is that going to help the OP. How exactly does your post in anyway contribute exactly?
The whole point of my post is that Fedora for a new user is a great deal easier to configure than FreeBSD and having SE (Security Enhanced) Linux making it simpler yet again for a new user. How exactly is a virtualisation system going to be EASIER for a new user?
You're still a moron after all these years Abybeats and you still don't listen to anyone else, why don't go and play under a bus.

A
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM

edit:
Two lines.

It's like extracting teeth round here, what does it take for you to write complete sentences and explain yourself?
You seemed to know a good deal about the stuff, so I assumed you were familiar with jails as well; and also, somewhere along the lines, I turned into a minimalist; minimum words to get the point across, context provided.

The contention still stands by the way Aby, no matter how comfortable you are setting up jail or whether you just found it doing a search using google which is what I suspect from the lack of explanation on your part, how exactly is that going to help the OP. How exactly does your post in anyway contribute exactly?
Jails is a default feature in freebsd, and is integrated/tested well, so there is no setting up everything to work correctly to boot; and, an hour understanding Jails is far more productive than fighting SE all the time in the long run. (If you are using freebsd, that is.)

The whole point of my post is that Fedora for a new user is a great deal easier to configure than FreeBSD and having SE (Security Enhanced) Linux making it simpler yet again for a new user. How exactly is a virtualisation system going to be EASIER for a new user?
If a user is expected to touch SE, then he should be a power user at least, and hence why the mention of Jails; and Jails is part virtualisation, part security feature. Why I find Jails a better option is because its simpler and more intuitive than SE which is kinda complex to do the trivial of things. Like they say, simple be simple and complex simpler. The same reason I use FreeBSD/Archlinux.

You're still a moron after all these years Abybeats and you still don't listen to anyone else, why don't go and play under a bus.
Yea, I guess.

Artemis
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
It's like extracting teeth round here, what does it take for you to write complete sentences and explain yourself?
You seemed to know a good deal about the stuff, so I assumed you were familiar with jails as well; and also, somewhere along the lines, I turned into a minimalist; minimum words to get the point across, context provided.

The contention still stands by the way Aby, no matter how comfortable you are setting up jail or whether you just found it doing a search using google which is what I suspect from the lack of explanation on your part, how exactly is that going to help the OP. How exactly does your post in anyway contribute exactly?
Jails is a default feature in freebsd, and is integrated/tested well, so there is no setting up everything to work correctly to boot; and, an hour understanding Jails is far more productive than fighting SE all the time in the long run. (If you are using freebsd, that is.)

If a user is expected to touch SE, then he should be a power user at least, and hence why the mention of Jails; and Jails is part virtualisation, part security feature. Why I find Jails a better option is because its simpler and more intuitive than SE which is kinda complex to do the trivial of things. Like they say, simple be simple and complex simpler. The same reason I use FreeBSD/Archlinux.

Yea, I guess.

I will repeat for the slow of understanding, this is not about your literacy with FreeBSD or virtualisation Aby, this thread is about a new user wanting to set up a seedbox. Explaining how you find this form of virtualisation easier and that an advanced user should understand this is yet another demonstration of your on going need to explain about yourself rather than actually participate in threads across multiple forums.
I know we could carry on this debate at great lengths, but since I am talking to a narcissist, it is an exercise in extreme futility, so I yield the floor to your magnificence, enthrall us all with just what an amazing individual you actually are and how your specific knowledge will solve this users query?

A
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
It wasn't clear whom and what I was replying to then. I was not addressing the OP who left the thread long ago already(?). I was replying to your post and the points raised therein:

]The question I have is why would you configure a seedbox using FreeBSD when there are SELinux distro's available which offer a high level of security (ie Fedora) but are far less awkward to configure than FreeBSD which after all is designed for large server farms.

Artemis
05-20-2012, 12:26 PM
It wasn't clear whom and what I was replying to then. I was not addressing the OP who left the thread long ago already(?). I was replying to your post and the points raised therein:

]The question I have is why would you configure a seedbox using FreeBSD when there are SELinux distro's available which offer a high level of security (ie Fedora) but are far less awkward to configure than FreeBSD which after all is designed for large server farms.
Please do doggedly carry on with this one aspect of my post I'm sure everyone will be fascinated.

A
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
It was you who wanted 'explanations' for my 'one liner', and you say I'm doggedly carrying on?

Artemis
05-20-2012, 01:03 PM
It was you who wanted 'explanations' for my 'one liner', and you say I'm doggedly carrying on?

Yes because you have now explained that you prefer jails as a virtualisation, that's nice. Now in the scope of this thread how exactly would jails function in configuring a seedbox for a new user? I am quite prepared to repeat this until it does finally dawn on you that my original post was a reply to this query, and that you picked up on only a single part of that post and took the thread off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the original inquiry.
By explaining about virtualisation you have confused the issue, by jumping on one point in my original post without reading the whole post.
There are times when I am prepared to let people have the last word, but you just jumped in with a random thought, without adequately explaining it on the way through a bit like electronic graffiti really, now that might be fine in the lounge, but when I am trying to answer a question lucidly and someone waltzes in with a brainfart I tend to take them to task.

A
05-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Now in the scope of this thread how exactly would jails function in configuring a seedbox for a new user? I am quite prepared to repeat this until it does finally dawn on you that my original post was a reply to this query, and that you picked up on only a single part of that post and took the thread off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the original inquiry.

I somewhat agreed in a similar vein to what you say before didn't I? Now let me say this explicitly. I wasn't commenting on how to configure a seedbox for a new user, nor what is, and is not easy. I was answering specifically to your post. This is a forum, and quoting specific parts that interests you enough to reply is one of its features, even if that leads to off-topic discussions, which I admit happens very rarely in FST.

There are times when I am prepared to let people have the last word
oh

Artemis
05-21-2012, 05:34 AM
This isn't one of them, although I see we have got you past your minimalist phase, which is a bonus.

mjmacky
05-21-2012, 07:17 AM
I turned into a minimalist; minimum words to get the point across, context provided.

I had a student that continuously turned in his assignments in such a manner that it would fit on one sheet of paper, whereas the amount of content needed would require a minimum of 3 or 4 for 90 % or higher score. He kept getting low grades until I brought it up to him and I asked him, "Are you being charged per page to print this? Why are you always limiting your assignments to one page?" He said he was a minimalist. I pointed at his ~ 50 % score and said, "this is a minimalist grade".

A
05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
I had no idea you were a teacher. That is kinda... cool.

This isn't one of them, although I see we have got you past your minimalist phase, which is a bonus.
I have no come back for that.

mjmacky
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I had no idea you were a teacher.

Why else would I be learning people all kinds of things?

A
05-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm curious to know what your subject is and school/college?

mjmacky
05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm curious to know what your subject is and school/college?

Science/University

Birthplace: Hospital
SSN: 9 digit number
PW: a bunch of asterisks