PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to a fellow Louisiana native

SelfMadeMMAn
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Guist, who was 48, died Monday after he fell while on a boat on the Intracoastal Waterway near Pierre Part, Assumption Parish Sheriff Mike Waguespack confirmed.

“Swamp People,” which airs on The History Channel, chronicles the lives and adventures of alligator hunters in Louisiana’s Atchafalaya swamp country.

“We are extremely saddened to report that our friend and beloved member of the “Swamp People” family, Mitchell Guist, has passed away,” The History Channel said Monday. “Mitchell passed on the swamp, doing what he loved. We appreciate your respect for the Guist family’s privacy and hope you join us in sending our thoughts and prayers to his brother, Glenn, and the rest of the Guist family.”

Sheriff Waguespack said that Guist died after he was taken to the Teche Regional Medical Center after he fell while on the waterway around 9 a.m. Monday, according to initial reports. Guist’s cause of death or the fall is still unclear at this time, though Waguespack said that he appeared to have had a seizure.

911 calls indicate that locals on the scene went to extreme lengths to try to revive Guist with CPR. WAFB-TV reported that witnesses asked for ambulances or a helicopter.

“You say he’s in cardiac arrest?” the 911 dispatcher asked

“Yes sir, we’re blowing and pumping the guy’s chest right now … It looks like he may have had a heart attack,” the caller said.

The History Channel said that Guist would have turned 49 on Friday.

mjmacky
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
At first I thought I was being told that an alligator murdered him. By the end it seems to be just an old-fashioned heart attack. Who is this guy anywayi, besides one of the "swamp people"?

manker
05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Who is this guy anywayi, besides one of the "swamp people"?:lol:

I think that's all one is supposed to know. They're a clandestine people with a strange chest blowing ritual which brings forth the swamp lord when one of their number gets alligator'd.

megabyteme
05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Eulogy by C&P. Made me tear up a bit...

IdolEyes787
05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Personally I feel worse for the gators they kill.

SelfMadeMMAn
05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Actually, the Guist brothers did not hunt gators. They lived off the land, ate fish and other things they could live off of. Guys, you may wanna get your facts straight before talking shit about something you obviously know nothing about. And his cause of death is unknown until the autopsy. So there you have it, but I know that it is not gonna stop the uneducated from disgracing a tragedy

manker
05-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Actually, the Guist brothers did not hunt gators. They lived off the land, ate fish and other things they could live off of. Why is it acceptable to eat fish but not alligators.

It's not like they're dolphins or narwhals or anything cool.
They're actually a menace and one would think that they have to be stopped.

IdolEyes787
05-15-2012, 09:51 PM
OK I stand correct .No disrespect but I feel worse for the fish and other things they killed then. At least Guist was given the privilege of being allowed to die from natural causes.

Artemis
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Actually, the Guist brothers did not hunt gators. They lived off the land, ate fish and other things they could live off of. Guys, you may wanna get your facts straight before talking shit about something you obviously know nothing about. And his cause of death is unknown until the autopsy. So there you have it, but I know that it is not gonna stop the uneducated from disgracing a tragedy

It's not something I personally know about or care about, thank you for killing off a few more brain cells with your 'tragedy'. As for the cause of death being 'unknown', heart attack is top of the pops when someone middle aged suddenly keels over (especially in america) so it was a fairly safe bet. One death is not a tragedy retard, and it is not someone you personally knew,he was a minor celebrity on a cable channel that lived in a swamp.

If you want an American tragedy how about the 37 million homeless people you have, over 10% of the population, that is a national tragedy.

megabyteme
05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Actually, the Guist brothers did not hunt gators. They lived off the land, ate fish and other things they could live off of. Why is it acceptable to eat fish but not alligators.

It's not like they're dolphins or narwhals or anything cool.
They're actually a menace and one would think that they have to be stopped.

1. I would consider death by narwhal to be acceptable as you would have a bad ass afterlife story to tell. You would be all lyke, "Cool story, bro. Losing a hand while shrimpin' that's interesting. Now let me tell you how I got this scar..." And everybody would be all: :O .

2. Gator is on my list of "Heck yeah, I'll try some of that!" foods. Maybe dolphin, too, if it needed to be put out of his misery. Just saying...

If you want an American tragedy how about the 37 million homeless people you have, over 10% of the population, that is a national tragedy.

In all fairness, I'm sure SMMMA has seen the homeless situation rise in his area after Noah's Bush's flood.

manker
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm not subscribing to your religion. Scars and talking?
I'm sticking with my fundamental Islamic god.

megabyteme
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not subscribing to your religion. Scars and talking?
I'm sticking with my fundamental Islamic god.

Heathen.

ziggyjuarez
05-16-2012, 02:21 AM
I've been contacted as a possible replacement.details are still coming in.

mjmacky
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
but I know that it is not gonna stop the uneducated from disgracing a tragedy

One man's tragedy is another man's meh.

teflon05
06-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Not trying to be an ass, & homelessness is definitely a big problem in the US, but where did you get those numbers? Maybe 3.7 million, not 37. and even 3.7 is probably high. The whole estimated population of the US is 313,666,387.
According to estimates by the National Law (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_are_homeless_in_the_US#)Center on Homelessness and Poverty (NLCHP) , the number of "homeless" people in the United States at any one time could be between 700,000 and 3 million.

mjmacky
06-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah, 10 % is really high. I know a town where the homeless population is 10 %, and it's mind boggling. However, I would find it believable that far greater than 10 % are living below poverty level.

Snee
06-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Phew.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Phew.
Well that's a relief.

Tsk tsk tsk faulty memory, I plucked that one out of a half remembered Oprah show on homelessness in America without checking current statistics: Which are kind of creepy, since although the amount of people who are homeless is static the number of homeless children is increasing markedly.

But you are right Phew, 2.5 million is a great deal better than 37 million. That's still alot of people though, and I know some of the U.S. is temperate so being homeless isn't such a hassle, but screw that in the northern states around January. I can't see being homeless as being a great idea in Spokane, Washington in January, there might be a few popsicles for the police to tag and bag right about then.

Et tu
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
It's only like half the population of a small country :idunno:

Norway.

megabyteme
06-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I can't see being homeless as being a great idea in Spokane, Washington in January, there might be a few popsicles for the police to tag and bag right about then.

At the age of 19, I had a split with my mother that left me sleeping in the front of my 1980 Datsun Pickup for just over a week. This was in the Seattle/Everett area in very early spring. I remember a light snow accumulating on the windshield (fairly uncommon for that area) one morning. After a rough, cold night I got up and poured concrete.

Fortunately, I got paid and was able to get into a decent apartment with the help of a very kind leasing agent who gave me (19 y/o kid) a chance- she did not require me to come up with the normal first/last month and damage deposit. Only required me to pay the first month. Not many in my situation find an angel like that.

Starting out with nothing and no family or friends in a new area is hard. Very fucking hard. Guys like 9's will NEVER understand what that's like.

mjmacky
06-09-2012, 02:03 AM
I can't see being homeless as being a great idea in Spokane, Washington in January, there might be a few popsicles for the police to tag and bag right about then.

At the age of 19, I had a split with my mother that left me sleeping in the front of my 1980 Datsun Pickup for just over a week. This was in the Seattle/Everett area in very early spring. I remember a light snow accumulating on the windshield (fairly uncommon for that area) one morning. After a rough, cold night I got up and poured concrete.

Fortunately, I got paid and was able to get into a decent apartment with the help of a very kind leasing agent who gave me (19 y/o kid) a chance- she did not require me to come up with the normal first/last month and damage deposit. Only required me to pay the first month. Not many in my situation find an angel like that.

Starting out with nothing and no family or friends in a new area is hard. Very fucking hard. Guys like 9's will NEVER understand what that's like.

Did you bang her? Did you start making meth?

megabyteme
06-09-2012, 02:20 AM
:lol: She kinda looked about as far away from the above pic as possible, but still female. So, yes to both your questions. :devil:

mjmacky
06-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Methyl do that to you.

I don't know why it's amusing me, but I just don't have the heart to change it back to meth'll.