PDA

View Full Version : xennews trial [2 days or 10 GB] x unlimited

enerdude
05-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Guys

Some of you may already know about the xennews trial but I am gonna teach you some new tricks today in order to maximize the value you get....

Some "tricks" I have found:

Signup multiple times using 1 email address / variations of 1 gmail address / using certain disposable mails that their system does not pick up yet
An additional server you can use that they don't tell you about that gives these advantages:

getting maximum retention using your trial acc, in fact the same retention as payed accounts (about 800 days vs the normal 10 days)
getting 20 connections vs normal 2 connections per ip
faster activation after you have applied for your trial account

Signup procedure:

Go to
http://member.xennews.com/signup.php?product_id=2&hide_paysys=free

Email addresses you can use:

Example of a disposable address:

It seems they block most disposable addresses but I have found 1 that works (I am sure you can find more if you spend some time searching): Go to spambog.com and select the brennendesreich.de domain. Then type the email-alias you would like to use and click "postfach abrufen" to view your mailbox. After viewing a mail you can go back to your mailbox by clicking on "Zurück zur Übersicht" in the left hand column. When viewing main mailbox click "Aktualisieren" to refresh your mailbox ;)

Using a single Gmail address:

If for e.g. your gmail address is [email protected] you can generate multiple addresses using "." and / or using the domain googlemail.com. Some examples that will all come to your main address:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
...and many more. Just move the "." to different positions - you will still receive the mail to your mailbox ;)

Signup using the same email and other details you used before:

LOL look at this:

To achieve this, go to the signup url mentioned above and USE EXACTLY THE SAME DETAILS YOU USED BEFORE e.g. Your First & Last name, email address, login name and password must match 100%.
After entering it 100% the same you will be brought to the next screen where you must accept term and conditions - same as signing up with a different email and other different details.

After signing up you will receive an email to verify your address. Click on the link in the email to verify your address. I have found that it takes about 20 - 30 minutes for your account to become active on the news server. So have some tea or surf the net while waiting. Below is the details for your favorite news client:

Server details:

After confirming your email address you should receive another email (I have not in all cases, especially when you re-signup with your same email and other detail, but don't worry they should still activate your account after a max of 30 minutes). In this email they will tell you to use free.xennews.com as server. They will also mention your username, but basically you just use the same username and password on the news server that you signed up with. If you do a lookup on free.xennews.com you will realize it resolves to same (3) ips as news.just4today.net. And who wants 2 connections and 10 days retention? So instead use these details:

Alternate server details they dont tell you about:

server..........: 91.203.106.140 - ports 119 or 563 (SSL)
connections..: up to 20
retention......: 757 days claimed on website, but I have downloaded a 883 day nzb with only 5 missing articles (measured as 99.75% completion by the NZB completion checker program).

I have also seen that your account become active on this server a few minutes before it becomes active on free.xennews.com. But like i said, free.xennews.com is very limited cause it is the same server as just4today. This was not always like this, I think they recently changed their dns to point to the just4today ips.....

Enjoy guys......... :w00t:

djmasturbeat
05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
thanks
i am pretty new to usenet, but have no money for even a cheap service, so this is a great addition to xsusenet.
i tried signing up for new trial accounts at another place but only the 1st one worked.

do you know if we can post with these trial accounts?
i haven't found a free trial yet that allows this, they all fail.

enerdude
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
do you know if we can post with these trial accounts?
i haven't found a free trial yet that allows this, they all fail.

Nope. I think 99% of trial accounts wont allow posting but I have never really checked because I don't post myself. One way of checking this is as follows (wont reveal posting permissions in all cases)

Open a cmd prompt in windows
Type: "telnet servername/ip 119" and press enter (without the ") e.g. in this case type: telnet 91.203.106.140 119 and press enter
You should see a response similar to this: "201 free.xennews.com NNRP Service Ready - support(at)support.xennews.com (no posting)"
Type: "quit" and press enter to return to dos prompt or just close the window.

If a particular site's server does not mention "no posting" specifically it might / might not support it. You can also try and check the specific site's FAQ for more info - sometimes they will mention it there.

djmasturbeat
05-18-2012, 05:22 PM
ok
thanks for the telnet tip!
I will try it

about to try out my second trial, since I think my 1st is expiring (lots of errors in log now for these servers). hope it goes better than the other trial service that seems to work for others but not me after first trial.

thanks again for sharing.

i am getting an error on using telnet
(fwiw I am using admin elevated command prompt, if that matters, OS Win7x64):

C:\>telnet 91.203.106.140 119
'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

nvm, I guess I haven't used telnet in years, and i need to turn it on/activate it

(bah windows takes forever to initialize activating features, and the features window is blank, like it has nothing else to activate or install for Windows, i used Putty which I had laying around, probably better anyhow, as it is still developed)
anyhow, my result is it tells me "no posting allowed." for anyone else interested, there is the answer.

enerdude
05-18-2012, 05:37 PM
i am getting an error on using telnet

Telnet is probably not installed on your version of windows. I have also seen that the windows server operating systems does not install it by default. You can add it via your control panel in windows where you install /uninstall new programs and / or windows components.

Alternatively, use a 3rd party telnet replacement like netcat:
http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/139

Usage:
nc ipaddress 119 (same format as telnet)

djmasturbeat
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
thanks i saw your response after I updated my last post
i remembered i had putty around from when i had a seedbox

strange thing, tho, i used the activate windows features and the window comes up blank, no features available, even tho windows telnet isn't installed (putty i use is a stand alone pack of exes from a rar, + the standalone puttytel)

anyhow, I got my answer. too bad about no posting, but i think that is pretty much standard like you said.

enerdude
05-18-2012, 07:24 PM
strange thing, tho, i used the activate windows features and the window comes up blank
What you mean by "activate windows features"?

djmasturbeat
05-22-2012, 08:28 PM
in Windows 7 and Vista it isn't on by default

here is what i meant by activate (it is really "turn windows features on or off")

http://thumbnails22.imagebam.com/19164/ac6298191632782.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ac6298191632782)

so far this one is working great
I have started up my second term using the exact same credentials as the first time

as for retention:
I tried some files that are 908 days old with no love, but 400+ days old are going smooth as can be =)
i haven't tested anything 800 days old yet, or a bit over or under.

I haven't tried to max out my connection on just this yet (have torrents going as well), but I get decent speeds that seem to fill any remaining download not used in torrents.

enerdude
05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
(it is really "turn windows features on or off")

Yeah thought so - now it makes sense ;)

So does it still come up blank - or have you added telnet now? Or using putty instead?