PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb removing UFC content

Sometwo
05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I've noticed recently that Astraweb is removing UFC content, and now doing so pretty quickly. Sometimes less than a day it's no longer available. I haven't really seen this problem with movies and such, but is this a sign that retention is going to be less important in the future due to the NGP removing the content? Are there any providers who don't do that?

Cascadeur
05-17-2012, 05:57 PM
More importantly:
how to go around those takedowns ?
how to know about them without having to download the whole stuff?

Sometwo
05-17-2012, 07:18 PM
How to get around them yes, but from my experience Astraweb deletes all UFC content so there is nothing to download.

sandman_1
05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Just tried UFC 145 and Newsbin Pro reports, "DMCA'd". If they have a server in the USA, then they have to do DMCA to get safe harbor provisions provided by the DMCA. Fortunately I get UFC's as soon as they post. That and I have no need to watch them again or keep them.

Sometwo
05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Is there a NGP that is as good and cheap as Astraweb that doesn't have servers in the US or remove content?

Hole69
05-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Mangled here, dead on Astra and Blocknews. I'd look for a small European provider.

enerdude
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
More importantly:
how to go around those takedowns ?
how to know about them without having to download the whole stuff?

Use a good NZB completion checker like this one (MUCH quicker for checking completion than actually downloading everything ;) ):

http://www.zoon.dk/2012/05/11/nzb-completion-checker-alpha-update-5/
Download link is on the righthand side of the page (NZBcc 1.1.0.0alpha (http://adf.ly/5y3uN))
After installing it, check the settings. Under validation methods, make sure "use article head" is ticked because this is more accurate. Then just add a news server, load an nzb you wanna test for completion and bob's your uncle!

I did some testing (using a random UFC nzb) seeing that i have access to a few different usenet accounts....

Details:

Release: UFC 145 Jones vs Evans PPV HDTV XviD aAF
Link on nzbmatrix for those interested: http://nzbmatrix.com/nzb-details.php?id=1254654&hit=1
Age of nzb (as of today when the test was done): 25 days

BTW, according to nzb contents this release was originally uploaded using astraweb.

Results using nzb completion checker:

Astraweb (eu.news.astraweb.com):

100% completion but this is false cause what astraweb has done is to keep the articles but fill their content with "Content removed due to DMCA."

So if nzb completion checker ever gives you good completion of an UFC nzb, first try and download one rar archive (and the first .par maybe if you wanna check the file using a par checker) from the nzb and check if the contents is txt and contains such a DMCA message.

Giganews (news-europe.giganews.com):

12% completion LOL. Basically only the .nfo and first .par file was intact.

Newshosting (news.newshosting.com - based in amsterdam)

(This is using the core of the highwinds feed - so lot of other usenet providers that is using highwinds will have the same result)

0% completion!

Secretusenet.com

(They are using the other major feed, namely the readnews feed)
US server (198.186.190.131)
0% completion!

EU server (178.22.82.50)
85% completion (I did not actually download using a normal news client so I cant say if repair would be possible, but it is likely)

Xennews (91.203.106.140 - this is a trial server but has same retention as their pay servers)

100% completion!

So this is an example of a provider that are probably using their own feed (definately not giganews, astraweb, highwinds or readnews feeds) and is based in Europe (Amsterdam)
They are the same company bringing you just4today and hitnews BTW
As can be seen by looking at secretusenet, europe servers are generally the way to go as all US server seems to get hit the quickest and hardest...

I have also posted a way to get unlimited trial (2 day and/or 10 GB) Xennews accounts here:

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/448612-xennews-trial-2-days-or-10-GB-x-unlimited

So enjoy while it lasts!

Edit: just tested binload (85.12.7.190) - they also have 100% completion. So those lucky enough to have signed up for the public beta in time can use them to download UFC stuff too!

Sometwo
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks enerdude! It's good to know we have some options. I might actually get a block account with Xennews as a backup for when Astraweb removes content.

hdjunky
05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
I think this is partly the fault of the threads over the years in all the nzb forums saying who does dmca takedowns and who doesn't...who to go to to get this and that. No doubt "they" are watching and people are spood feeding them.

If we got rid of nzbs I think this problem would go away completely. Let's get back to headers for awhile to take them off our trail.

enerdude
05-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I think this is partly the fault of the threads over the years in all the nzb forums saying who does dmca takedowns and who doesn't...who to go to to get this and that. No doubt "they" are watching and people are spood feeding them.

If we got rid of nzbs I think this problem would go away completely. Let's get back to headers for awhile to take them off our trail.

Getting rid of NZBs is obviously not gonna happen. And using headers will just make it slightly more difficult for them to take down but if they are determined (like "these people" taking down UFC content so quickly) nothing will stop them.
Also the beginning of the end could be near for usenet (facing same fate as filehosters) if we see more of these new sites like usenetstorm.com and usegrab.com (they provide web access to binary groups, usegrab.com is even free for upto 5 GB files)

hdjunky
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I think ditching nzbs would really end the problem. UFC is requesting their content to be removed like within an hbour according to comments. They are getting the nzbs from somewhere obviously. I do not think they would go through millions of headers though for the CHANCE it might be in the group they are checking at that time. Maybe a new header naming scheme could be used to encrypt or obscure the name. Maybe encryption mechanisms can be built into newsreaders. It is obvious though that nzbs and the hand holding to help any old newb get into usenet is what is going to kill it.

sandman_1
05-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe encrypting the archive and having the password in the nfo file. In other words, the nfo wouldn't normally have the password (when viewed say from a raw search site) but when you went to repair it with par2's it would give the password or something to that effect.

enerdude
05-18-2012, 05:07 PM
NZBs is not going away anytime soon. It has made usenet downloading much easier. What people can do is use private nzb sites (almost like private torrent sites is doing for torrents) and also use less obvious header names and / or password protection for content that seems to be popular to be DCMA'd (like UFC)

I think ditching nzbs would really end the problem. UFC is requesting their content to be removed like within an hbour according to comments. They are getting the nzbs from somewhere obviously.
I do not think they would go through millions of headers though for the CHANCE it might be in the group they are checking at that time.
Like I said nzbs are not going away anytime soon. And they are not necessarily using nzbs to take stuff down. There are plenty of search engines on the web as well as in programs or other ways they can use to search headers.

Maybe a new header naming scheme could be used to encrypt or obscure the name. Maybe encryption mechanisms can be built into newsreaders. It is obvious though that nzbs and the hand holding to help any old newb get into usenet is what is going to kill it.
It is already possible to use less obvious header names and / or archive password protection, but all uploaders don't do it. Details and / or nzbs can then be posted on private sites to make it less accessible. In this case "any old newb" wont have access to it ;)
Sites like usegrab.com (making binaries available via web interface) is what is going to kill usenet slowly but surely.

hdjunky
05-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I wonder. If we make a fake post of 1 GB or so and call it along the lines of ufc (whatever the next event is) and allow the indexers to index it, but once assembled it was just some stupid video file. Wonder if it would get removed? Hasn't it been established that a name does not mean copyright violation? Wouldn't that show that these idiots are filing false complaints based on name only and not doing there due diligence before filing? All the complaint forms make you certify that the works are truly yours and just a name can not show that.

Hypatia
05-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I think ditching nzbs would really end the problem

lol doesnt matter.. the djinn is out of the bottle.

if they wanted to they could start using their own version of mysterbin.

Perhaps theyve been using something like that all along

or for instance newznab

i dunno about public stuff but if you want to upload something to usenet the way it stays there for a very long time(especially if its a backup) then:

1)use obscure names(headers\archives)
2)password it with the option obscuring files in an archive(it can even be something like "password". It doesnt matter . The point here is to not let mysterbin like search engines to look into archives

but this applies only to ur personal files. Because other than you nobody would know whats that

scubascythan
05-21-2012, 07:27 AM
It's really annoying they're doing it to the non-PPV stuff like UFC Primetime or the shows on Fox/FX/Fuel. I understand the PPV stuff but Primetime is uploaded on youtube anyways by the UFC itself, just not in HD hence I'd rather DL it. I don't have those channels so can't watch the other shows. Just plain annoying.

Since I usually grab it a few days later, they're already ninjaed so I've just resorted back to using private torrent for these grabs. This is a slippery slope and I see myself canceling my sub if the situation gets worse.

sandman_1
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Since I usually grab it a few days later, they're already ninjaed so I've just resorted back to using private torrent for these grabs. This is a slippery slope and I see myself canceling my sub if the situation gets worse.

Don't know if Sickbeard/SAB would work for ya but you might want to look into it.

Malcontent
05-22-2012, 08:50 PM

You might want to consider setting up a simple RSS feed within your Usenet client to automatically download the episodes as they get posted.

Sometwo
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM

You might want to consider setting up a simple RSS feed within your Usenet client to automatically download the episodes as they get posted.

You has my interests. I've never tried that, so what feeds are there for the UFC?

Malcontent
05-22-2012, 11:16 PM

You has my interests. I've never tried that, so what feeds are there for the UFC?

You have to check with your NZB indexing site on how to go about setting up a RSS feed on their site. You should be able to set up a watch list or bookmark for "UFC". Your usenet client can check for new "UFC" stuff on your RSS feed every 15 minutes or so.

Sometwo
05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
You have to check with your NZB indexing site on how to go about setting up a RSS feed on their site. You should be able to set up a watch list or bookmark for "UFC". Your usenet client can check for new "UFC" stuff on your RSS feed every 15 minutes or so.

I've been using newsgroups for a while and never noticed this feature, thanks!

Sometwo
05-24-2012, 11:40 AM
If astraweb is complying with DMCA and removing content, then couldn't they also comply and give IPs of people who downloaded a movie?

mjmacky
05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
If astraweb is complying with DMCA and removing content, then couldn't they also comply and give IPs of people who downloaded a movie?

Nope

Sometwo
05-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Nope

And why is that?

mjmacky
05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Nope

And why is that?

Very likely they don't have that information on hand. Upload logs are one thing (tracking spam, illegal posters and general abuse), but they aren't required to keep download logs (that I've seen) so there's no point in keeping them. There could be a difference between block accounts and subscription plans, don't know how they track data usage for block accounts.

Sometwo
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
And why is that?

Very likely they don't have that information on hand. Upload logs are one thing (tracking spam, illegal posters and general abuse), but they aren't required to keep download logs (that I've seen) so there's no point in keeping them. There could be a difference between block accounts and subscription plans, don't know how they track data usage for block accounts.

I'm not sure about the law, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were required to keep logs. I could of sworn a long time ago that astraweb on their main page used to say anonymous, no logs kept. It doesn't say that anymore.

Excellent Price - Best Value for Money Usenet
SSL Enabled - Free SSL on all accounts
Completion - High number of peers. 99%+ completion
Speed - Multiple Links to High Quality Providers
Connections - 20 Simultaneous Connections
Retention - Our retention is quoted for ALL groups
Posting Propagation - Excellent propagation of posts with many peers
US & EU Farms - Serverfarms in the US and EU
We Run Our OWN Servers - We do not resell. We have total control over our own servers and farms.

Did they remove that or am I mistaken?

edit: I may of confused astraweb with another NGP. Archive.org says in july 11 2010 "Uncensored News - No Discussions are Censored" and now that part is gone, however.

mjmacky
05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.news.astraweb.com/privacy.html

Item #9

9) We do not store any specific information about your downloads. We only store the amount downloaded, date and access IP address for accounting purposes.

That answers that.

Sometwo
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I guess so, thanks!

mjmacky
05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
I guess so, thanks!

:01:

zot
05-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I think ditching nzbs would really end the problem. ... Maybe a new header naming scheme could be used to encrypt or obscure the name. Maybe encryption mechanisms can be built into newsreaders.

The problem with the NZB is that it is an open standard and the usenet articles that it's composed of are listed in plain text and therefore easily readable by anyone.

A fairly simple solution would be to create a new NNTP 'release' protocol that encrypts the "NZBs" -- so only the news client can ever know the actual Message IDs that compose a file release -- a client that would by necessity also need to refuse non-SSL servers so the connection stream could not be sniffed.

A properly encrypted "NZB" system like that would be virtually bullet-proof and completely immune to any possible takedown -- the only thing the anti-P2P bad guys could do would be to attack the sites that index these encrypted "NZBs" -- but this kind of encrypted "NZB" system could be many years away.

enerdude
05-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I think ditching nzbs would really end the problem. ... Maybe a new header naming scheme could be used to encrypt or obscure the name. Maybe encryption mechanisms can be built into newsreaders.

The problem with the NZB is that it is an open standard and the usenet articles that it's composed of are listed in plain text and therefore easily readable by anyone.

A fairly simple solution would be to create a new NNTP 'release' protocol that encrypts the "NZBs" -- so only the news client can ever know the actual Message IDs that compose a file release -- a client that would by necessity also need to refuse non-SSL servers so the connection stream could not be sniffed.

A properly encrypted "NZB" system like that would be virtually bullet-proof and completely immune to any possible takedown -- the only thing the anti-P2P bad guys could do would be to attack the sites that index these encrypted "NZBs" -- but this kind of encrypted "NZB" system could be many years away.

Yeah but the weak spot then is still the headers that are left. Easy for them to take down something by just searching headers. And doing away with headers is like doing away with the whole usenet and starting a new "system" with new protocols...

zot
05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah but the weak spot then is still the headers that are left. Easy for them to take down something by just searching headers. And doing away with headers is like doing away with the whole usenet and starting a new "system" with new protocols...
In the system I described above, headers would of course be useless because posts would need to use cryptic titles (as would the file names inside the rars if not password-protected) so the only way to download a file posted in this manner would be to get the "encrypted NZB" supplied by the actual poster.

It would not be a completely foreign new system, since almost from the very beginning, files have been posted using names other than the actual title of the movie, album, or software (for instance, you might have to look up the 'scene' name of the release first)

But if usenet takedowns get much more common, headers could become nearly-useless anyway, since they make it easy for a high-volume automated process to detect copyrighted files. (and let's face it, the vast majority of copyright takedowns these days [in general, not just Usenet] seem to be coming from bots crawling the internet)

Sometwo
05-26-2012, 01:14 AM

SSL wouldn't help because the traffic would still be vulnerable to Man-In-The-Middle attacks with proxies like WebScarab (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_WebScarab_Project).

Uploading encrypted files and giving the password on NZB sites would help some. They could take it down, but pirates have them out numbered and could upload it again a lot faster than they could find their content on all the NZB sites and file DMCA complaints. Unfortunately the files are both rarely encrypted and rarely re-hosted.

zot
05-26-2012, 02:33 AM

SSL wouldn't help because the traffic would still be vulnerable to Man-In-The-Middle attacks with proxies like WebScarab (/index.php/Category:OWASP_WebScarab_Project).

True, Webscarab --or any other debugger-type application-- can be used to decrypt and analyse HTTPS traffic before it leaves the computer. But there are many ways to defeat this general type of attack. Compressing/encrypting/obfuscating the executable helps, as does having it look for any debuggers, and refusing to run if any are found. Also, a client spewing out a lot of false data (like bogus MIDs) will obstruct any attempts to accurately analyse the upload/download traffic stream.

If you wanted to make an application even harder to debug, you could have it installed on a self-contained live-CD bootdisk which analyses its own CD it comes on, so that all running processes on the PC must be approved, and the bootdisk itself must pass constant integrity-checking (not unlike some game CDs) -- basically making it a hermetically-sealed environment that the application must run in -- and a major project to try to crack.

Of course there is no such thing as 100% crack-proof security; the best you can ever hope to achieve is to make it very hard for them to crack.

Uploading encrypted files and giving the password on NZB sites would help some. They could take it down, but pirates have them out numbered and could upload it again a lot faster than they could find their content on all the NZB sites and file DMCA complaints. Unfortunately the files are both rarely encrypted and rarely re-hosted.
I don't understand what you mean by "encrypted files" - I was talking about an encrypted "NZB" that could only be decrypted by the newsreader itself, so therefore rar passwords would be completely unneeded.

Regardless, the main thing is not to include the title or filename (or even any key words) in the NNTP post, since that makes it very easy for harvesters to find. Though it seems like the major NZB sites like NZB Matrix get a few evil eyes rifling through their index pages.

sandman_1
05-26-2012, 03:24 PM
To me passwording the rar and creating Par2 files for the archive with the password in the nfo file, would be the best solution. Then the nfo file without the password would be posted to Usenet. That way if it is viewed by a search engine, the nfo doesn't have the password in it. The only way to get the password is to have the par2 files repair the nfo file after you have downloaded the files. Search engines can't view content inside of rars and you don't have to go to a site to get a password.

heiska
05-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Given enough time and dedication, the hypothetical standard for encrypting contents of the NZB will be reverse-engineered by the anti-p2p folks thus making the whole effort useless. Plus it would obviously break the current NZB standard as we know it. So not a bulletproof or practical solution.

The only decent solution to this take-down issue is the first rule of Usenet. It's probably too late for that though, now that people have let the cat out of the bag.

enerdude
05-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Given enough time and dedication, the hypothetical standard for encrypting contents of the NZB will be reverse-engineered by the anti-p2p folks thus making the whole effort useless. Plus it would obviously break the current NZB standard as we know it. So not a bulletproof or practical solution. I agree. For somebody to create a newsreader with this encryption there would be some kind of documentation of the methods in order to let other developers create similar newsreaders. So keeping that secret wont last long.

Probably the best that can be done currently is if people used random (non obvious) header names and used password protection on the archives. Then next step can be to create a nzb file that points to these headers / articles and post the nzb on a private site, similar to private torrent sites. Which means current indexers /search engines like mysterbin / binsearch etc will become useless for most purposes.
Initially this method can maybe just be applied to content like UFC that is known to be taken down quick. Rest of the stuff can be posted as usual with obvious names names and public available nzbs - until they decide to do takedowns on ALL content posted to usenet I guess....

To me passwording the rar and creating Par2 files for the archive with the password in the nfo file, would be the best solution. Then the nfo file without the password would be posted to Usenet. That way if it is viewed by a search engine, the nfo doesn't have the password in it. The only way to get the password is to have the par2 files repair the nfo file after you have downloaded the files. Search engines can't view content inside of rars and you don't have to go to a site to get a password. Also a good idea and alternative to using privates sites. And additionally non-obvious names should be used in the headers otherwise content can be taken down using header search.

heiska
05-27-2012, 01:33 AM
I believe that the next logical step to avoid these take-downs is to upload the stuff with random nonsense headers, encrypted with a key. Those uploading would give out the key to decrypt these headers to the trusted members of the Usenet scene (e.g. #a.b.X and #gotnzb4u). Only the website admins who know people (e.g. the OPs of #a.b.X) on IRC would be given the key based on trust.

There is no bulletproof solution to this thing, given enough time and dedication the anti-P2P people will catch on. The thing that keeps attracting this DMCA stuff is the public NZB sites like FST, binsearch, nzbindex and mysterbin showing up on the first page of google when searching for a movie/music/software.

When the (private) NZB indexers are underground enough, it shouldn't make sense to dedicate so much time/money/effort on taking down stuff. But the catch-22 is that the current (consolidated) USPs rely on new source of income in order to keep up with the 1300+ days of retention provided by their affiliates (the public NZB indexers).

mjmacky
05-27-2012, 04:50 AM
You guys are interested in turning usenet into the a scene similar to private bt? I can't see that as all that much of an improvement.

Hole69
05-27-2012, 06:33 AM
You guys are interested in turning usenet into the a scene similar to private bt? I can't see that as all that much of an improvement.

I agree. Leave everything open. You can't take down everything and files will usually be re-uploaded anyway. Of course there will be always be torrents and there will be always be people sharing files, no matter what form it takes. Torrents are hilarious though. The whole piratebay can fit in a $5 USB stick and be re-hosted anywhere globally with the right servers. With Usenet, servers will probably need to be relocated elsewhere to escape US pigs in the future, but there again, there will be users and everything will go back to the way it originally was anyway. Piracy will just evolve and shift elsewhere. Private trackers are stupid though. What ever happened to sharing is caring?

enerdude
05-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Only the going underground part of maybe using private sites listing the nzbs is similar. Basically you still have this:

1. Central servers that give you full line speed download
2. You dont need to upload to get something.
3. Still use nzbs

The above 3 points is obviously not true of the private bittorrent scene.

What we basically saying is:

1. Uploaders should use random names in headers when uploading.
2. Keep nzbs that is pointing to the above headers private (on private underground sites) otherwise the nzbs get sniffed for the header names and the stuff obviously still get taken down.

The above 2 points can only be applied to popular stuff like UFC that is taken down constantly. For stuff they dont care about we still use the current methods until they decide taking down ALL content in which case the above 2 points will be applied to ALL uploads.

Hole69
05-28-2012, 09:07 PM
If a provider sets up with a No DCMA/no takedown policy and servers dotted through certain Europe countries but mostly in Africa, and was based in Africa, then this wouldn't be a problem. The same company could provide private NZB's. The US wouldn't touch them, no jurisdiction. Maybe speed wouldn't be great, but damn, they would be rolling in it.

enerdude
05-28-2012, 09:30 PM
If a provider sets up with a No DCMA/no takedown policy and servers dotted through certain Europe countries but mostly in Africa, and was based in Africa, then this wouldn't be a problem. The same company could provide private NZB's. The US wouldn't touch them, no jurisdiction. Maybe speed wouldn't be great, but damn, they would be rolling in it.

Why you say Africa? Dont know about all the countries in Africa but South Africa in particular is strict on copyright stuff. Not really possible to setup a company /ISP there that does not adhere to copyright laws.
Not sure if any country is safe these days cause I know the far east countries like Hong Kong / Malaysia etc was once the "piracy capitals of the world" in more ways than one but 90% of such operations have been shut down, so running or setting up a company with a no takedown policy can't be easy.

Hole69
05-29-2012, 02:02 AM

Why you say Africa? Dont know about all the countries in Africa but South Africa in particular is strict on copyright stuff. Not really possible to setup a company /ISP there that does not adhere to copyright laws.
Not sure if any country is safe these days cause I know the far east countries like Hong Kong / Malaysia etc was once the "piracy capitals of the world" in more ways than one but 90% of such operations have been shut down, so running or setting up a company with a no takedown policy can't be easy.

The middle of the Congo would be a good place. The militia might be a problem though. Still, it is doable. Difficult, but doable.

enerdude
05-29-2012, 02:56 AM
the middle of the congo would be a good place. The militia might be a problem though. Still, it is doable. Difficult, but doable.
lol!

sandman_1
05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
I really don't think people realize that you can't just put a bandwidth intensive service in any old country in the world. Astraweb has a 10Gbps line at each server location(http://www.robtex.com/as/as35176.html#asinfo). That kind of bandwidth is cheap only in certain countries.

RP3X
06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
never had an issue with astra and ufc downloads.... i just click on nzb org and que it and its fine to download.... even when im searching for prelims and older ufc events downloads just fine.

I have noticed though torrents generally get the ufc quicker

johhny
06-09-2012, 01:43 PM
i don't know how quick they get down UFC events i don't watch them,but you can try and add it to auto-download.

Sometwo
06-14-2012, 01:58 AM
^ Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. I just went to download UFC Insider and UFC Tonight that were posted 7-8 hours ago and they're already gone.

Gt3911
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
So this is an example of a provider that are probably using their own feed (definately not giganews, astraweb, highwinds or readnews feeds) and is based in Europe (Amsterdam)
They are the same company bringing you just4today and hitnews BTW
As can be seen by looking at secretusenet, europe servers are generally the way to go as all US server seems to get hit the quickest and hardest...

The Xennews currently boasts "NEW us servers" :(

Oddly, 145 is still complete and 146 but 147 is not.

Mr Kennedy
07-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi,

How do you set up an auto search for UFC as only really watch the PPV.

Use Sabnzbd and Nzbs.org. Sickbeard would not do anything would it?