PDA

View Full Version : Google Drive, Windows Skydrive for torrents?

byrnesc1
05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey guys long time, no bother so I've come back to ask a question:

Is it possible to use Skydrive or Google Drive to download and seed torrents from? I use 3-4 computers on a daily basis and so cloud storage is huge for me, especially because there are various storage restrictions with each computer. I can't keep the stuff that I seed on an external because theres too much downtime going from computer to computer and different computers assign the drive different names.

With Skydrive and Google Drive's desktop app's and integration I can download a file from a direct link right to them so I was wondering if I could do the same for torrent files? I checked google and searched the forum here but so far haven't found any real answers.

Thanks for the help gang

anon
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't think you can. HTTP downloads and torrents are different things.

You could however use filestream.me, which supports torrents and is free for now.

cinephilia
05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
anon delivers :yup:

mjmacky
05-22-2012, 11:52 PM
What they say about bittorrent:

How can I download files from BitTorrent network?
In order to download files from BitTorrent network you need to download .torrent file from your favorite torrent tracker and upload to your filestream.me storage. Our system will parse your files and start downloading data from BitTorrent network.

Do you seed the files I've downloaded from BitTorrent network?
Yes we do. We seed your files until 1:2 ratio.

anon
05-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I gave them a try when I found them, and they lived up to their promises. They download torrents pretty fast, and the transfer speed from their boxes to you is also good - I was able to max my line with a single connection.

They appear to use a version of aria2 which makes a pitiful attempt at identifying itself as uTorrent, so I would advice against adding private torrents. But for a public tracker it's an excellent free seedbox of sorts. Let's see how long it lasts...

byrnesc1
05-23-2012, 04:06 AM
But alas, their torrent service costs money. Does anyone know of any FREE alternatives or am I just being too idealistic?

anon
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
But alas, their torrent service costs money.

I've never been asked to pay so far. I added a Xubuntu torrent just a minute ago just to check, and it began downloading as usual. That's why I'm saying, use it while it lasts :P

byrnesc1
05-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice, I had just assumed because it said it was a premium feature it cost money but apparently not. Kinda bummed you can't use private torrents but it's better than nothing. I can't seem to find out how much storage I have, which is odd. Also odd that they talk about payment and pricing and so on but I can't seem to find any info on different accounts or prices.

anon
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I can't seem to find out how much storage I have, which is odd.

The FAQ says there are no limits on file sizes.

Also odd that they talk about payment and pricing and so on but I can't seem to find any info on different accounts or prices.

They have to go paid, or at least offer paid features, at some point on the future. Something that is essentially a free seedbox and premium link generator with unlimited space, can't go on forever.

byrnesc1
05-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, it's a definitely a cool site but it's super buggy atleast for me, which I guess makes sense since it's relatively young. Does anyone else have any issues with it?

Gish
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah its unlimited storage which is strange and unheard of. FYI the servers are located in Lithuania so their is a slim chance of a take down.

Evelyn
05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
But alas, their torrent service costs money.

I've never been asked to pay so far. I added a Xubuntu torrent just a minute ago just to check, and it began downloading as usual. That's why I'm saying, use it while it lasts :P

Anon, is it safe to use in sites like waffles, what, SSC etc ?

anon
05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Read post #5 :happy:

Evelyn
05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
ahh , thanks

byrnesc1
05-31-2012, 04:46 PM
What codec do they use for streaming? I already have VLC and K-Lite Codec pack installed but those are the only links it provides.