PDA

View Full Version : Workin' hard to catch the cancer

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Hey guys, I'm putting this all together with the intentions to share it elsewhere (excuse the blasphemy). I've been smoking "roll your own" for awhile. I used to buy cans of Bali Shag until the huge tax hike (5.3 oz. went from $18 to $45 at the store, shortly after it was illegal to ship roll your own across state lines via internet/phone ordering, i.e. interstate commerce). After that I tried a few things and eventually settled with Daughters & Ryan 3 Sails Pipe Tobacco, which smoked just like Roll Your Own and tasted alright.

Then the bug hit me a couple months ago. I wanted to start buying leaves and making my own blends. I loved the experimentation with different leaves, but the biggest and most frustrating obstacle was processing the tobacco, e.g. chopping/shaving/shredding. I've gone through about 6 different techniques, and think I finally landed on a working solution. I wasted a lot of money on this fucking hobby... my story below:

The first was the Leaf Only branded Tobacco Leaf Shredder (http://www.leafonly.com/tobacco_leaf_shredder_standard.php) from the site that I was buying my leaves. I was only able to mount it at my computer desk since the vice/clamp/grip was too thin to mount anywhere else. It was working out OK for a little while until the thing kept jamming up and bending the combs (my tobacco was barely moist). It was also a pain in the ass to get a second or third shred with no hopper. Eventually I destroyed the thing after processing a few times. Cost $50 (unrecovered).
I tried rolling the leaves into cigar shape and cutting with scissors based on this guide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8CSmlbI0hM). It was difficult to cut, and the tobacco came out too thick no matter what I tried. The problem with a thick cut is that it tastes like you're inhaling pipe tobacco, too much characteristic flavor and is awful going down. I bought a pair of scissors just for this purpose. Cost $17 (hey but now I have a nice new pair of scissors).
I bought a food processor, same problem as in #2. Cost $20 (unrecovered).
I bought a pasta machine (http://www.amazon.com/Roma-Traditional-Style-Pasta-Machine/dp/B000ATUKBK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1337913281&sr=8-12) and an angel hair attachment. I even bought dremel tool to grind grooves into the rollers so that they grabbed the tobacco. The gears that allowed both rollers to roll in harmony broke not 10 minutes into the venture. The gears were fixed on the rod via a secant cut. That got warped and eventually only one roller was turning. I beat the machine mercilessly with a hammer and threw it in a box. Whatever I did cut actually smoked pretty decently. Cost $115 ($50 recovered)
I bought a 3 foot plank of 3" x 3" oak wood, a hacksaw, a portable vice clamp, and an expensive meat cleaver. I pressed the leaves into brick form with ~ 1000 lbs of pressure (guessing), and tried to shave thin slices using both a straight razor and a meat cleaver. I bought a sharpening stone, and grinded away so that the cleaver was sharp enough to go through paper like soft butter. This whole project took a lot of physical effort from construction to tobacco processing. In the end, I only ended up with the same cut of tobacco as #2.
Cost $115 (unrecovered)INTERLUDE:
This next one was the last attempt, pass or fail. It's not even about the cost of tobacco anymore, it's that tobacco is more of a hobby than a habit. However, I can only fail so many times and waste so much money before I start to really lose my cool.

I bought a Staples Mailmate M5 paper shredder (http://www.staples.com/Staples-Mailmate-M5-12-Sheet-Cross-Cut-Shredder/product_740127). I had to rip out the protective plastic that limits the thickness of the items being fed through, as depicted here:
Then, using my metal working magic, crafted an aluminum hopper:
I then deribbed all my leaves, blending 5 different types of tobacco (American VFC, Canadian VFC, Oriental, Light Fire Cured, Aged Burley). I shredded it three times. This is the first shred:
The second shred:
The third and final shred:
And here's a view up close:
Cost $70.

The verdict: It tastes great and burns well (evenly, ashes solid). The only caveat so far is that I have to keep relighting my cigarettes; however, since it doesn't give me that pipe taste of a low temp burn I'm not going to get too worked up over that.

In case anyone was wondering, my plan was to link to this post from the "How to Grow Tobacco" forum. I have no yard or any place to grow and cure my own leaves, so I'll just stick to buying them for now.

megabyteme
05-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Nice work. I'm not a smoker, but can admire the effort you put into your project. Ah, the sweet smell of success tobacco.

That said, I am curious, does the smoke smell like Marlboro, or pipe tobacco? And, if you know, why do cigarettes smell so awful in comparison to fine pipe tobacco?

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Nice work. I'm not a smoker, but can admire the effort you put into your project. Ah, the sweet smell of success tobacco.

That said, I am curious, does the smoke smell like Marlboro, or pipe tobacco? And, if you know, why do cigarettes smell so awful in comparison to fine pipe tobacco?

To answer your question, neither. It just smells and tastes better, in every way (even the stink left over afterwards). I never smoked Marlboro, but my mother-in-law does and it's just horrible. The reason why Marlboro smells like shit probably has something to do with this (http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm).

Pipe tobacco is aromatic because of the way it burns, and sometimes they do add flavoring. The thicker cut used for pipes has a lower surface area, thus doesn't tend to burn as hot. Since it isn't burning as hot, not all the potential reactions of combustion go to completion, giving you a potpourri of side products. When you cut it finer, it burns hotter driving most reactions further to completion (shorter, mellowing out the flavor. At least that's how I understand it.

megabyteme
05-25-2012, 04:59 AM

To answer your question, neither. It just smells and tastes better, in every way (even the stink left over afterwards). I never smoked Marlboro, but my mother-in-law does and it's just horrible. The reason why Marlboro smells like shit probably has something to do with this (http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nicotineinhaler/a/cigingredients.htm).

Pipe tobacco is aromatic because of the way it burns, and sometimes they do add flavoring. The thicker cut used for pipes has a lower surface area, thus doesn't tend to burn as hot. Since it isn't burning as hot, not all the potential reactions of combustion go to completion, giving you a potpourri of side products. When you cut it finer, it burns hotter driving most reactions further to completion (shorter, mellowing out the flavor. At least that's how I understand it.

When I was 19, I was pouring concrete for a small company in the Seattle area that was staying steady while not much work was available. We had just moved into a brand new development with a good 50-60 homes (nice BIG, EXPENSIVE) ones. I was off doing my menial, back breaking labors when this man began walking from building site to site. It turnout he was the BIG guy, the one developing all the homes in there. Had to have been a $30M+ project.

Anyway, the guy came close enough to me that I could smell his pipe. It was one of the most amazing smells I have ever encountered. This was like EXPENSIVE perfume compared to Brut. That much of a difference compared to anything else you'd light on fire- including some of the other nice pipe tobaccos I had stumbled across occasionally.

He told me it was called "Diplomat". God only knows how expensive that was, or what it actually tasted like. I can vouch for an amazing, memorable smell (~20 years)...

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 05:26 AM
If I add them all up, I blew $337 over the past couple of months on this. To put that into perspective, that's roughly the amount I'll spend in a year on tobacco + tubes.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 05:28 AM
When I was 19, I was pouring concrete for a small company in the Seattle area that was staying steady while not much work was available. We had just moved into a brand new development with a good 50-60 homes (nice BIG, EXPENSIVE) ones. I was off doing my menial, back breaking labors when this man began walking from building site to site. It turnout he was the BIG guy, the one developing all the homes in there. Had to have been a $30M+ project.

Anyway, the guy came close enough to me that I could smell his pipe. It was one of the most amazing smells I have ever encountered. This was like EXPENSIVE perfume compared to Brut. That much of a difference compared to anything else you'd light on fire- including some of the other nice pipe tobaccos I had stumbled across occasionally.

He told me it was called "Diplomat". God only knows how expensive that was, or what it actually tasted like. I can vouch for an amazing, memorable smell (~20 years)...

I had pondered on pipes for awhile. I was almost sold on the pretentiousness of appearance alone, but alas, I'm a swallower not a spitter.

ziggyjuarez
05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Never had natural tabacco myself but I've heard it doesn't do the job.It doesn't give you that kick.Is this true?I figure all the junk they put in at the factory is what makes it do that.
I only smoke a pack a month so what the fuck do I know?

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Never had natural tabacco myself but I've heard it doesn't do the job.It doesn't give you that kick.Is this true?I figure all the junk they put in at the factory is what makes it do that.

All of those other chemicals they put, that I linked to earlier serve several purposes. I'd go on about it, but the wikianswers covers it quite well in brief:
*improve burning speed and consistency
*preserve the tobacco
*improve the flavor and texture of the smoke
*increase the volatility (and thus availability) of nicotine

So you might not get that kick of nicotine you're looking for with roll your own if all you've ever smoked were commercial. You could try the electric cigarette if you were interested in weening yourself of commercial.

SomePeople
05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Mary,

This DIY thing you're doing here, I'm assuming you've done quite a bity of reading about it. Do you know if there's anything anywhere about the effects of the chemicals they add in commercial manufacture? I'm interested in that specific aspect of it. I'm sure adding those chemicals must have some effect on the health aspects of smoking, but can't seem to find much about it.

Artemis
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM

All of those other chemicals they put, that I linked to earlier serve several purposes. I'd go on about it, but the wikianswers covers it quite well in brief:
*improve burning speed and consistency
*preserve the tobacco
*improve the flavor and texture of the smoke
*increase the volatility (and thus availability) of nicotine

So you might not get that kick of nicotine you're looking for with roll your own if all you've ever smoked were commercial. You could try the electric cigarette if you were interested in weening yourself of commercial.

I was going to say that relighting your cigarette was because commercial cigarettes have additives in them that make them burn smoothely once lit, but I see that is redundant, you being the chemist although loathing organic chemistry could try a couple of mild additives to keep some consistency to the burn without altering the taste?

I used to be a 30 a day man (Marlboro too) but kicked the habit 12 years ago so am glad it is only a vague memory. I admire your tenacity over your contraption though.... :blink:

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey guys, I'm putting this all together with the intentions to share it elsewhere (excuse the blasphemy). I've been smoking "roll your own" for awhile. I used to buy cans of Bali Shag until the huge tax hike (5.3 oz. went from $18 to $45 at the store, shortly after it was illegal to ship roll your own across state lines via internet/phone ordering, i.e. interstate commerce). After that I tried a few things and eventually settled with Daughters & Ryan 3 Sails Pipe Tobacco, which smoked just like Roll Your Own and tasted alright.

Then the bug hit me a couple months ago. I wanted to start buying leaves and making my own blends. I loved the experimentation with different leaves, but the biggest and most frustrating obstacle was processing the tobacco, e.g. chopping/shaving/shredding. I've gone through about 6 different techniques, and think I finally landed on a working solution. I wasted a lot of money on this fucking hobby... my story below:

The first was the Leaf Only branded Tobacco Leaf Shredder (http://www.leafonly.com/tobacco_leaf_shredder_standard.php) from the site that I was buying my leaves. I was only able to mount it at my computer desk since the vice/clamp/grip was too thin to mount anywhere else. It was working out OK for a little while until the thing kept jamming up and bending the combs (my tobacco was barely moist). It was also a pain in the ass to get a second or third shred with no hopper. Eventually I destroyed the thing after processing a few times. Cost $50 (unrecovered).
I tried rolling the leaves into cigar shape and cutting with scissors based on this guide (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8CSmlbI0hM). It was difficult to cut, and the tobacco came out too thick no matter what I tried. The problem with a thick cut is that it tastes like you're inhaling pipe tobacco, too much characteristic flavor and is awful going down. I bought a pair of scissors just for this purpose. Cost $17 (hey but now I have a nice new pair of scissors).
I bought a food processor, same problem as in #2. Cost $20 (unrecovered).
I bought a pasta machine (http://www.amazon.com/Roma-Traditional-Style-Pasta-Machine/dp/B000ATUKBK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1337913281&sr=8-12) and an angel hair attachment. I even bought dremel tool to grind grooves into the rollers so that they grabbed the tobacco. The gears that allowed both rollers to roll in harmony broke not 10 minutes into the venture. The gears were fixed on the rod via a secant cut. That got warped and eventually only one roller was turning. I beat the machine mercilessly with a hammer and threw it in a box. Whatever I did cut actually smoked pretty decently. Cost $115 ($50 recovered)
I bought a 3 foot plank of 3" x 3" oak wood, a hacksaw, a portable vice clamp, and an expensive meat cleaver. I pressed the leaves into brick form with ~ 1000 lbs of pressure (guessing), and tried to shave thin slices using both a straight razor and a meat cleaver. I bought a sharpening stone, and grinded away so that the cleaver was sharp enough to go through paper like soft butter. This whole project took a lot of physical effort from construction to tobacco processing. In the end, I only ended up with the same cut of tobacco as #2.
Cost $115 (unrecovered)INTERLUDE:
This next one was the last attempt, pass or fail. It's not even about the cost of tobacco anymore, it's that tobacco is more of a hobby than a habit. However, I can only fail so many times and waste so much money before I start to really lose my cool.

I bought a Staples Mailmate M5 paper shredder (http://www.staples.com/Staples-Mailmate-M5-12-Sheet-Cross-Cut-Shredder/product_740127). I had to rip out the protective plastic that limits the thickness of the items being fed through, as depicted here:
Then, using my metal working magic, crafted an aluminum hopper:
I then deribbed all my leaves, blending 5 different types of tobacco (American VFC, Canadian VFC, Oriental, Light Fire Cured, Aged Burley). I shredded it three times. This is the first shred:
The second shred:
The third and final shred:
And here's a view up close:
Cost $70.

The verdict: It tastes great and burns well (evenly, ashes solid). The only caveat so far is that I have to keep relighting my cigarettes; however, since it doesn't give me that pipe taste of a low temp burn I'm not going to get too worked up over that.

In case anyone was wondering, my plan was to link to this post from the "How to Grow Tobacco" forum. I have no yard or any place to grow and cure my own leaves, so I'll just stick to buying them for now.

Countries have spent less money and effort on going to the Moon.

Squeamous
05-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I love a resourceful solution to a problem Mary! Also your attempts at self sufficiency. I got some instructions off the net on how to make a whisky still which I haven't got around to implementing yet, but I make as many of my own consumables and home furnishings as I can. I've never thought of trying to grow tobacco before. The only drawback I can see is you can't put a roll-up in a cigarette holder, and I wanted to start using them on nights out for that 20s flapper feel :happy:

I don't think that's true. Roll-ups give me a head rush that I don't get with cigarettes. But then I don't smoke particularly high nicotine cigarettes, so I guess it depends on what you're used to, and also which filters you use.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I've never thought of trying to grow tobacco before.

Maybe try patio tomatoes first and work your way up to senseless , life shortening stuff from there.

Squeamous
05-25-2012, 10:54 AM
I've never thought of trying to grow tobacco before.

Maybe try patio tomatoes first and work your way up to senseless , life shortening stuff from there.

I already grow tomatoes. Maybe I'll use my knowledge of genetics and create tomacco :happy:

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Too late to get the patent.

Tomacco

Tomacco was originally a fictional plant that was a hybrid between tomatoes and tobacco, from the 1999 episode "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)". The method used to create the tomacco in the episode is fictional. In the episode, the tomacco was accidentally created by Homer Simpson when he planted and fertilized his tomato and tobacco fields with plutonium. The result is a tomato that apparently has a dried, brown tobacco center, and, although being described as tasting terrible by many characters, is also immediately and powerfully addictive. The creation is promptly labeled "tomacco" by Homer and sold in large quantities to unsuspecting passersby. A cigarette company, Laramie Tobacco Co., seeing the opportunity to legally sell their products to children, offers to buy the rights to market tomacco, but Homer demands one thousand times as much money as they wish to pay him, and the company withdraws. Eventually, all of the tomacco plants are eaten by farm animals — except for the one remaining plant, which later goes down in an explosive helicopter crash with the cigarette company's lawyers.
The process of making tomacco was first revealed in a 1959 Scientific American article, which stated that nicotine could be found in the tomato plant after grafting. Due to the academic and industrial importance of this breakthrough process, this article was reprinted in a 1968 Scientific American compilation.[14]
A Simpsons fan, Rob Baur of Lake Oswego, Oregon, was inspired by the episode. Remembering the article in a textbook, Baur cultivated a tomacco in 2003 by grafting together tobacco and tomato plants. The plant produced fruit that looked like a normal tomato, but Baur suspected that it contained a lethal amount of nicotine and thus would be inedible. Testing later proved that the leaves of the plant contained some nicotine.[15] Both plants are members of the same family, Solanaceae or nightshade.[16] The tomacco plant bore tomaccoes until it died after 18 months, spending one winter indoors.[16] Baur was featured on the "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)" audio commentary in the Simpsons Season 11 DVD box set discussing the plant and resulting fame.[17]

The 2004 convention of the American Dialect Society named tomacco as the new word "least likely to succeed."[18] Tomacco was a wordspy.com "Word of the Day".[19]
Tomacco juice is shown with Marge's other groceries in the new opening theme. Also, there is a Tomacco field in The Simpsons Hit and Run.

Squeamous
05-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Mintacco then....for that menthol ciggie taste :happy:

megabyteme
05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Too late to get the patent.

Tomacco

Tomacco was originally a fictional plant that was a hybrid between tomatoes and tobacco, from the 1999 episode "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)". The method used to create the tomacco in the episode is fictional. In the episode, the tomacco was accidentally created by Homer Simpson when he planted and fertilized his tomato and tobacco fields with plutonium. The result is a tomato that apparently has a dried, brown tobacco center, and, although being described as tasting terrible by many characters, is also immediately and powerfully addictive. The creation is promptly labeled "tomacco" by Homer and sold in large quantities to unsuspecting passersby. A cigarette company, Laramie Tobacco Co., seeing the opportunity to legally sell their products to children, offers to buy the rights to market tomacco, but Homer demands one thousand times as much money as they wish to pay him, and the company withdraws. Eventually, all of the tomacco plants are eaten by farm animals — except for the one remaining plant, which later goes down in an explosive helicopter crash with the cigarette company's lawyers.
The process of making tomacco was first revealed in a 1959 Scientific American article, which stated that nicotine could be found in the tomato plant after grafting. Due to the academic and industrial importance of this breakthrough process, this article was reprinted in a 1968 Scientific American compilation.[14]
A Simpsons fan, Rob Baur of Lake Oswego, Oregon, was inspired by the episode. Remembering the article in a textbook, Baur cultivated a tomacco in 2003 by grafting together tobacco and tomato plants. The plant produced fruit that looked like a normal tomato, but Baur suspected that it contained a lethal amount of nicotine and thus would be inedible. Testing later proved that the leaves of the plant contained some nicotine.[15] Both plants are members of the same family, Solanaceae or nightshade.[16] The tomacco plant bore tomaccoes until it died after 18 months, spending one winter indoors.[16] Baur was featured on the "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)" audio commentary in the Simpsons Season 11 DVD box set discussing the plant and resulting fame.[17]

The 2004 convention of the American Dialect Society named tomacco as the new word "least likely to succeed."[18] Tomacco was a wordspy.com "Word of the Day".[19]
Tomacco juice is shown with Marge's other groceries in the new opening theme. Also, there is a Tomacco field in The Simpsons Hit and Run.

And Mary was saying she had a hard time getting her tobacco leaves to stay lit. You'd have to douse the tomacco fruits in gasoline to get a good draw. :no:

Artemis
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Being a chemist, scary mary has access to a whole raft of accelerants/explosives that would cause far more a combustion/detonation than dousing his labors in gasoline. If he put his mind to it, he could probably level a whole city block without trying too hard, it's just the explaining why that would be hard.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
What city does Mary live in because I might be up for funding that.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
What city does Mary live in because I might be up for funding that. :dave:

I'll await your funds.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I love a resourceful solution to a problem Mary! Also your attempts at self sufficiency. I got some instructions off the net on how to make a whisky still which I haven't got around to implementing yet, but I make as many of my own consumables and home furnishings as I can. I've never thought of trying to grow tobacco before. The only drawback I can see is you can't put a roll-up in a cigarette holder, and I wanted to start using them on nights out for that 20s flapper feel :happy:

I don't think that's true. Roll-ups give me a head rush that I don't get with cigarettes. But then I don't smoke particularly high nicotine cigarettes, so I guess it depends on what you're used to, and also which filters you use.

I haven't smoked a commercial ciggy for 2 years (that I can recall, I'm not sure about everything that happens when I'm wasted). But RYO has usually been smooth without a kick. That story changes a little when I smoked without a filter. However, I almost always smoke with filters.

The problem with roll-ups is that it's much easier to roll it without a filter, or you have to use a slim filter. I find neither of those appealing. Instead, I actually buy empty tubes with the filter and shoot them with a hand shooter (spoon-type, it's about half the size of my hand). Tubes/tobacco pouch/shooter, they're the whole reason I carry around a man purse since I roll shoot my cigarettes on demand.

As far as DIY goes, I forgot to take a picture of the Oak frame I built using 3"x3" wood, a hacksaw and deck screws, it's used to trap the tobacco while I press it. It's a woodshop disaster, I may photograph it later.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 05:05 PM
you being the chemist although loathing organic chemistry could try a couple of mild additives to keep some consistency to the burn without altering the taste?

I could, and have a plethora of resources that I could steal borrow, but I've resigned to remain all natural.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 07:25 PM
What city does Mary live in because I might be up for funding that. :dave:

I'll await your funds.

You didn't tell me the city.I don't think I could live with myself if you bombed New Orleans or Boulder.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I'll await your funds.

You didn't tell me the city.I don't think I could live with myself if you bombed New Orleans or Boulder.

I aim to take out the entire South, is that not suitable?

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM
You're avoiding answering the question so I can only assume that you already have felony warrants out on you.

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 07:39 PM
You're avoiding answering the question so I can only assume that you already have felony warrants out on you.

You're pushing hard :dave:

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Not nearly as hard as you're dodging.

ziggyjuarez
05-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Calls ATF*

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Not nearly as hard as you're dodging.

Right, I am dodging, but my dodging is not as hard as your pushing.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I haven't asked in over 3 hours,you on the other hand have been dodging that entire time.:mellow:

Squeamous
05-26-2012, 08:48 AM
^ :happy:

mjmacky
05-26-2012, 10:20 AM

You do realize that Idol and I were cybering, don't you? You're not jealous, you're into that?

IdolEyes787
05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
"Cybering " another term that you hit me with that I have no idea with it means but have the good sense not to find out.

mjmacky
05-26-2012, 08:34 PM
"Cybering " another term that you hit me with that I have no idea with it means but have the good sense not to find out.

Oh don't worry, it just means we're internutting internetting.

Squeamous
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM

You do realize that Idol and I were cybering, don't you? You're not jealous, you're into that?

I'm monitoring the situation.

mjmacky
06-01-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm monitoring the situation.

Quick, psychological take on someone with a voyeur fetish.

Squeamous
06-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Does observing and enjoying quick wittery count as voyeurism? :unsure:

manker
06-01-2012, 11:05 AM
It's hard to call that a fetish. Everyone likes porn.

mjmacky
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM

Does observing and enjoying quick wittery count as voyeurism? :unsure:

Yes, when it's from the bushes :dave:

Squeamous
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
:balustrade:

mjmacky
06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zc8kD5AiiA

megabyteme
06-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Well presented, and a very cool machine.

mjmacky
06-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Well presented, and a very cool machine.

I tried to figure out if the design has a patent that still applies.

megabyteme
06-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Corporations are really good at snatching up anything worth owning- even if they never intend to use it.

mjmacky
06-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Corporations are really good at snatching up anything worth owning- even if they never intend to use it.

The market is just starting to open up with the tax hikes, and there's more to come.
RYO tobacco used to be taxed @ $1.0969/lb, and it's now @ $24.62/lb.
Pipe tobacco used to be similarly taxed @ ~ $1/lb, and is now $2.83/lb. Thus, a lot of tobacco that can be used for roll your own is now being labeled, sold, and shipped as "pipe tobacco" (it's illegal to sell and ship RYO/MYO tobacco across state lines now). I may have already gone over this before, but I'm getting to a point.

They are going to be coming after the pipe tobacco label next, and essentially it will become more expensive to smoke anything but commercially manufactured cigarettes. The one exception is the leaf (which is not taxed at all because you cannot determine its purpose, e.g. it could be for spiritual/decorative use). A lot of enthusiasts are going to find themselves pushed to experiment with leaves, there are even shops setting up for it (process your own leaves and make your cigarettes in the store).

It's an opening market and it would be quite the lucrative opportunity to sell a plethora of home devices for MYO. This includes growing, curing, processing and rolling. Growing and rolling are already covered, but there's not much out there as far as a reliable solution for processing. I put a stamp on that last point with the adventures of my thread opener.

Squeamous
06-18-2012, 07:34 AM
You said 'aluminum'. You did that on purpose didn't you?

I think the moment the government gets wind that people are starting to do this they'll close the tax loophole. Noice video though :)

mjmacky
06-18-2012, 08:04 AM
You said 'aluminum'. You did that on purpose didn't you?

:)

:smilie4:

Squeamous
06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
:fist: