PDA

View Full Version : Link generated spammers

mjmacky
05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Over the past 24 hours, more than 250 link generated spam threads have been generated by 3 different users. So not only is the problem not going away on its own, but they are severely ramping up their game here.

2 options, put together an elite task force of stalker assassins, or create some sort of automated filter. What can be done? It's really starting to piss me off.

IdolEyes787
05-25-2012, 09:42 PM
One user three usernames.I'm not open to the possibility that there is more than one person in the World who is that big of a cunt.

megabyteme
05-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I suggested an auto-moderation for new members who post more than 7(ish) posts on their first day. If someone new comes along, and is actually posting, then the mods can release the moderation...

chalice
05-25-2012, 10:17 PM
The place needs mods who give a fuck. Good luck with that.

anon
05-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I suggested an auto-moderation for new members who post more than 7(ish) posts on their first day.

That would also moderate the spam-barragers that want to ensure access to the invite section.

...which may not be a bad thing, actually.

zot
05-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Filters are a much better solution for preventing spam than having to depend on over-worked moderators to clean it up the following day.

A lot of the things these spambots do are things that no normal user would ever think of doing. Like rapid-fire posting with URLs in every post. Many forums don't even allow new users to post URLs, no doubt why a recent rash of spambots here were posting websites without the "http" or "www" to bypass those filters (which are not apparently even active here)

There also could be an enforced delay between successive user posts. (and not just for the sake of bots, it seems that far too many people post comments without even taking the time to read the discussion)

mjmacky
05-26-2012, 02:09 AM
There is a 30 second forced waiting time between posts here. I find it annoying as hell. I have seen the message telling me to wait an additional "1 second" far too many times.

There is also a 180 second forced waiting time between reporting posts, even more annoying as J-dye, Dave and spambotpeoples showed up all at once yesterday.

zot
05-26-2012, 03:30 AM
There is a 30 second forced waiting time between posts here. I find it annoying as hell.
I might even like to see that waiting period doubled, and quadrupled for new users. (maybe it would help cut down on all the bickering and one-and-two word posts by people who treat a message board as a chatroom)

There is also a 180 second forced waiting time between reporting posts, even more annoying as J-dye, Dave and spambotpeoples showed up all at once yesterday.
I don't see why that could not be greatly reduced. I don't see why trusted users need to wait at all for reporting posts.

mjmacky
05-26-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't see why that could not be greatly reduced. I don't see why trusted users need to wait at all for reporting posts.

I tend to believe that this is the only reason why there aren't hundreds of reports made on me. Those traders get real uppity when I make gracious observations in their threads. I wouldn't be surprised that they report me when I point out a rule they're breaking.

Artemis
05-26-2012, 08:55 AM
But back to the bot(s), which lately have been the bane of this board. If new users were limited in the number of posts in the first day(s) of membership surely this would be a simple way to circumvent this current round of script based bots, they are pretty basic, the posts are rapid fire but that is about it, it isn't that high-tech, they don't even time out after they have been banned some of the banned bot members have been around for weeks.

IdolEyes787
05-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I might even like to see that waiting period doubled, and quadrupled for new users. (maybe it would help cut down on all the bickering and one-and-two word posts by people who treat a message board as a chatroom)

If you were any drier the Ministry of Nature Resources would impose a burning ban on you.

IdolEyes787
05-27-2012, 12:09 AM
And here we go yet again.
As the spam really has gotten to the impossible to take point I vote just do what MBM suggested and see if that helps because frankly something needs to be done and I can't see any change possibly being for the worse.

megabyteme
05-27-2012, 12:42 AM
You agreeing with me is only breaking my confidence in myself, Idol. :fist:

Actually, like others have suggested, it never hurts to limit the abilities of new members. It will just cut down on J-Dyes and SPAMbots. Most new members dabble slowly in a new site and see what is going on before plunging in.

IdolEyes787
05-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Except hawt girls right?They can still basically do whatever they want.

megabyteme
05-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Except hawt girls right?They can still basically do whatever they want.

Manker requires upper inner thigh photos of all new female members. I trust his judgement in such matters.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Haven't seen one in nearly a week. Solution made or have they just given up here for awhile?

Edit: Example, surprised not to see him here today
www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=xinvoruy&oq=xinvoruy

manker
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Neither.

I've been here a lot this past week. They've just met their demise rather more quickly.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Neither.

I've been here a lot this past week. They've just met their demise rather more quickly.

I see, so what about when you disappear again?

manker
05-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Neither.

I've carefully analysed the situation and all of the available information points toward a scenario in which they'll meet their demise rather more slowly.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
I've carefully analysed the situation and all of the available information points toward a scenario in which they'll meet their demise rather more slowly.

So no alternative counter measures in the works? This is unsatisfactory.

Glen@DB
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the Mods need more work, So leave it to them imo. :naughty:

manker
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM

So no alternative counter measures in the works? This is unsatisfactory.Agree.

A counter measure would be desirable. I can't do anything about it, myself, or I would.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 10:30 PM

A counter measure would be desirable. I can't do anything about it, myself, or I would.

It should be you're understanding that no one listens to me on account of the difficulty to take my suggestions seriously, especially with the deliberate subtle teasing. You are within earshot, right?

What the cock, I have to make my avatar all over again! I deleted it off my desktop, you megacock.

manker
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Agree.

It should be you're understanding that no one listens to me on account of the difficulty to take my suggestions seriously, especially with the deliberate subtle teasing. You are within earshot, right?

What the cock, I have to make my avatar all over again! I deleted it off my desktop, you megacock.:lol:
How'd you know it was me.

Also, yeah but I don't think anyone can hear me over the crickets. I'll bring it up shortly, though.

IdolEyes787
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM

A counter measure would be desirable. I can't do anything about it, myself, or I would.Guard geese,those bastards can be very vicious.
Better yet battle hardened guard geese so they've already lost most of their geesemanity and won't flinch at putting those spambot bastards down like the dogs they are.

manker
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Agree.

A counter measure would be desirable. I can't do anything about it, myself, or I would.Guard geese,those bastards can be very vicious.
Better yet battle hardened guard geese so they've already lost most of their geesemanity and won't flinch at putting those spambot bastards down like the dogs they are.That was suggested but Skizo vetoed it on account of animal rights you cold hearted Canadian foie gras merchant.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM

It looks like a guy who induces homoeroticism in Welshmen, thus perfectly complementary to your current concupiscence.

manker
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM

It looks like a guy who induces homoeroticism in Welshmen, thus perfectly complementary to your current concupiscence.Just because I like trashy TV, it doesn't mean I don't have an inner voice acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of my behavior.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
It looks like a guy who induces homoeroticism in Welshmen, thus perfectly complementary to your current concupiscence.Just because I like trashy TV, it doesn't mean I don't have an inner voice acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of my behavior.

The problem is, your inner voice is now a 14 year old girl, and I'm going to deep throat her.

manker
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Just because I like trashy TV, it doesn't mean I don't have an inner voice acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of my behavior.

The problem is, your inner voice is now a 14 year old girl, and I'm going to deep throat her.I knew I'd get you all hot if I changed your avatar for one of the Winchesters.
It was just a question of which one.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 11:12 PM
The problem is, your inner voice is now a 14 year old girl, and I'm going to deep throat her.I knew I'd get you all hot if I changed your avatar for one of the Winchesters.

What's that now? I can't quite make out what you're saying.

manker
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I knew I'd get you all hot if I changed your avatar for one of the Winchesters.

Try wiping the jizz out of your right eye.

Also; you know that now that the other mods aren't gonna read this thread so the very important issue of whatever the fuck it was will remain unresolved :dabs:

IdolEyes787
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I knew I'd get you all hot if I changed your avatar for one of the Winchesters.

I will pay you money to change his avatar to a shirtless Taylor Lautner.

mjmacky
05-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Try wiping the jizz out of your right eye.

Also; you know that now that the other mods aren't gonna read this thread so the very important issue of whatever the fuck it was will remain unresolved :dabs:

I knew I was jizzing in the wind a week ago.

tesco
06-02-2012, 04:18 PM

This is something I didn't even know about, seems that the report floodcheck is using the email floodcheck time setting, as that is the only setting with a 180 seconds limit that I could find. :wacko:

Unfortunately there's no way to set separate floodcheck times per usergroup, for posts OR reports.
edit: Actually I just wrote a simple plugin to do it, so now n00bs have a 120 second wait between posts.

mjmacky
06-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Unfortunately there's no way to set separate floodcheck times per usergroup, for posts OR reports.
edit: Actually I just wrote a simple plugin to do it, so now n00bs have a 120 second wait between posts.

Hurray, I seem to have impregnated someone.

megabyteme
06-03-2012, 02:44 AM

That comes as a most shocking announcement as you typically beat puberty by 5-7 years. :O

mjmacky
06-03-2012, 02:49 AM

That comes as a most shocking announcement as you typically beat puberty by 5-7 years. :O

I think it was a wolf child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJtg_-PtDQ

megabyteme
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
I don't talk about it much, but I had a child out of- well, we don't need to go into details, for legal reasons, but lets just say, I dropped one off with some people who I never met before. Their house looked- well, dark at the time. They grow up so fast... :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EDWo6m5hbG4