PDA

View Full Version : What are alternatives to torrents?

rocky12
05-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Um, hi. I didn't really want to post in public, but the person told me on forums and not in PM. I would like to apologize first even though this is not the right section for this, so I won't stay on the subject. I do want to apologize for everyone about my posts/threads. I'm also hoping that people will stop give me a chance overall, and also be nice by replying. Thank you!

I haven't been keeping up on the subject about the laws for the US for torrents, and everything else. Are people still using a VPN who lives in the US to keep themselves safe from the law? Or people are moving away from the torrents? I just found out about something like the CISPA law, but I don't know anything about it. Are people moving to a new network and/or clients to download? Or how are people getting around this? I would myself like for a new safer network without tracking my IP. That's my opinion since I am fearful by police authorities.

Thank you all for reading!

IdolEyes787
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Um, hi. I didn't really want to post in public, but the person told me on forums and not in PM. I would like to apologize first even though this is not the right section for this, so I won't stay on the subject. I do want to apologize for everyone about my posts/threads. I'm also hoping that people will stop give me a chance overall, and also be nice by replying. Thank you!

I haven't been keeping up on the subject about the laws for the US for torrents, and everything else. Are people still using a VPN who lives in the US to keep themselves safe from the law? Or people are moving away from the torrents? I just found out about something like the CISPA law, but I don't know anything about it. Are people moving to a new network and/or clients to download? Or how are people getting around this? I would myself like for a new safer network without tracking my IP. That's my opinion since I am fearful by police authorities.

Thank you all for reading!

I think it has to be public to actually qualify as a post.:mellow:

Just my opinion but as you history here seems to be all about obsessive worrying about hiding your identity and not "getting caught" maybe you should maybe consider not breaking the Law in the first place and then you won't have anything to worry about.:)
A wise man named Sammy Davis Jr. said "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

Btw I'm not being flip.Movies and music are relatively cheap, peace of mind is priceless.

Also you're not Canadian so please stop apologizing for no reason.

rocky12
05-26-2012, 02:15 AM
Thank you for replying to my thread!

Do you mainly use torrents, or do you use DDL/Warez? Or what do you use? I prefer to still download.

Cascadeur
05-26-2012, 02:28 AM
DDL is essentially dead for me.
Private trackers is one security, VPN/seedbox is an additional one. A good BT VPN is btguard for example.
Usenet is another very cool alternative, and is very secure.

rocky12
05-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Unfortunately, would there be any free alternatives? I could never get any luck with invites to private trackers. My luck with that would be horrible.

Cascadeur
05-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, private trackers are free.
Of course, you can also try darknet/freenet, soulseek, winny, etc. but it's not my cup of tea.

rocky12
05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Of course, you can also try darknet/freenet, soulseek, winny, etc. but it's not my cup of tea.

Thank you so much!

How could I get into a private tracker? I am a member at Demonoid. If you like, but you don't have too, could you help me by getting a decent invite?

johhny
05-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Try Usenet and DDL.

rocky12
05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Do you recommend oneddl? Or what top DDL sites do you recommend? I can't register at Warez-BB.org because the admin does not allow new registrations. I did sent an email to coolyou, but he didn't reply.

QUOTE=johhny;3679195]Try Usenet and DDL.[/QUOTE]

IdolEyes787
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Do you mainly use torrents, or do you use DDL/Warez? Or what do you use? I prefer to still download.

On further reflection I think you have no worries as if you do get caught they tend go light on minors.

Btw the fact that I apparently totally wasted my breathe on my original post I find rather irksome.

rocky12
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM

On further reflection I think you have no worries as if you do get caught they tend go light on minors.

Btw the fact that I apparently totally wasted my breathe on my original post I find rather irksome.

I am 30yrs old, so what you are saying is that they will go light on me even though I'm not a minor?

anon
05-26-2012, 04:38 PM
If you like, but you don't have too, could you help me by getting a decent invite?

maybe if you make a proper request

rocky12
05-26-2012, 04:44 PM
If you like, but you don't have too, could you help me by getting a decent invite?

maybe if you make a proper request

I could try to make a proper request. What kind of private trackers best suits my needs? I know for music, we have Pedro, Waffles, and What.cd, but for that I'll just take what I can. I'll probably go with the easiest to make it easy.

IdolEyes787
05-26-2012, 04:49 PM

I am 30yrs old, so what you are saying is that they will go light on me even though I'm not a minor?

I don't know are you white and a member of the upper class?

rocky12
05-26-2012, 11:34 PM

I don't know are you white and a member of the upper class?

I am white, but I have a mild mental disability which the IQ falls below normal. I don't communicate myself with individuals who diagnosed. I try to act normal even though I'm not normal. I learn slower as we all on here seen.

I have dealt with police when I was younger, but the managers got me out of trouble. I am not a class of any sort. I don't think I am anyway. I just do my own business.

Anyway, would Freenet be something like you have to meet friends in order to download/upload? I was mostly thinking a network where it doesn't require friend to friend.

Cascadeur
05-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Private trackers care about discretion, many of them ask their members to not talk about them in public forums.
You can get invites on invites websites: https://www.google.com/search?&q=torrent+invites
There is only one drawback to private trackers: you have to upload about as much as you download. If you download 5GB, you have to upload about 5GB.

You don't need friends to use freenet/darknet or soulseek: just join a forum, then connect to a member to see the list of available content and download from there. This is a 1on1 approach, that lets you peek into others' folders. If you're not too picky this can be a good choice.

But my opinion is that public torrent trackers are pretty good. Except if you're in France or the USA, public trackers are just fine.

rocky12
05-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Thank you very much for that info!

What public trackers would you recommend that are not in the USA, or France? What about TPB? I know they are having some legal trouble. Are you people still using a VPN and/or proxy to hide their IP, but with a VPN that doesn't keep logs? Here are the sites I am a member at.

Demonoid.ph
RuTracker.org
Adamsfile.com which is FTP

Thank you again,

Cascadeur
05-27-2012, 08:36 AM
There are two main public trackers: publicbt and openbittorent. All the websites like TPB only index the content available on those two trackers. So you'll find the same thing on kat.ph, TPB, sumotorrent, etc. because they use the same trackers.
Demonoid and rutracker are private trackers (or you can call them semi-private trackers): they use the same logic as private trackers, although they have open signups.

It doesn't matter where the tracker is, what matters is where YOU are. USA is known for legal bittorrent extortion schemes, and France has this "three-strike" plan against torrenters and there are a few other problematic countries like Sweden. I am not in either the USA nor France, and not using a VPN.

rocky12
05-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I was looking at both sites which are publicbt.com, and openbittorrent.com, but unfortunately, I'm not sure how to use those trackers. I never used those before. I don't even know where the starting point is to use those. Would anyone be up too helping me, please if someone doesn't mind?

Thank you,

Asylum
05-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Thank you so much!

How could I get into a private tracker? I am a member at Demonoid. If you like, but you don't have too, could you help me by getting a decent invite?

Hi. With private trackers you usually need an invitation from someone who is already a member. As far as Demonoid goes, I'm not sure about them being private or not and I say that only because I added a torrent from them to my seedbox and the seedbox classified them as not private. Just fyi. :)

rocky12
05-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Thank you so much!

Hi. With private trackers you usually need an invitation from someone who is already a member. As far as Demonoid goes, I'm not sure about them being private or not and I say that only because I added a torrent from them to my seedbox and the seedbox classified them as not private. Just fyi. :)

Hi Asylum,

I wouldn't guess that Demonoid wouldn't be safe since it's not private. Would RuTracker.org be private? Or what about Adamsfile which is FTP for music? As far as RuTracker goes, it showed some words of the movie in a different language. I am looking for English. I don't really know any members who could give me invites even if I ask in the proper section.

manker
05-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Hi Asylum,

I wouldn't guess that Demonoid wouldn't be safe since it's not private. Would RuTracker.org be private? Or what about Adamsfile which is FTP for music? As far as RuTracker goes, it showed some words of the movie in a different language. I am looking for English. I don't really know any members who could give me invites even if I ask in the proper section.Hi, rocky.
You should look in this thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/298326-BitTorrent-Sites-Open-for-Signup?p=3679415#post3679415) for BT private sites that are open for sign up.

Join two or three of them (different ones open up every day) and use those to download your stuff from.

People may be of the opinion that it's mainly the ones that kinda suck that open their doors to sign-ups but it's not true. Private tracker sites are basically pretty much identical, just join a few and keep good ratios there. Look to download their ratio building free leech torrents and use their bonus system if they have one.
Basically there are so many private trackers now that each one gives you every opportunity to maintain a good ratio :)

rocky12
05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Thank you very much!

Murlok
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
usenet.nl, is a good alternate

anon
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
usenet.nl, is a good alternate

posts in the newsgroups section here claim otherwise

Cascadeur
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Web-based usenet downloaders seem to be good alternatives. They offer free (limited) services, as well as premium ones. As far as I can tell, it works pretty well.
http://www.usegrab.com/
http://usenetstorm.com/index.php
http://www.nzbload.com/en/start
http://nzblord.com/