PDA

View Full Version : Spoofing An Ip Address?

ugc
11-18-2003, 10:57 PM
I was reading on Tech news that some hacker "spoofed" their IP address. I am new in the computer world and was wondering what that meant?

Keikan
11-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Making it look like you have a different ip adress

h121589
11-19-2003, 12:47 AM
i dunno

Him
11-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by h121589@19 November 2003 - 00:47
i dunno
most useless post i have ever had the misfortune to read.

kurtsl0an
11-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Him@19 November 2003 - 00:56
most useless post i have ever had the misfortune to read.
yes, yours was much more informative - <_<

as keikan posted, spoofing makes the hacked computer think that the hackers computer has a trusted ip address, allowing access.

4play
11-19-2003, 01:44 AM
as keikan posted, spoofing makes the hacked computer think that the hackers computer has a trusted ip address, allowing access.

your half way there but the access to the target would have been blind with a spoofed adress. ;)

spoofing means that you fake an adress. it is impossible to start any kinda connection with a remote machine with a spoofed adress as the three way handshake is impossible.

the original dos attack was to use a unreal spoofed adress to send syn packets to a machine untill you used up all the possible connections on the machine.

UKMan
11-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by 4play@19 November 2003 - 02:44

your half way there but the access to the target would have been blind with a spoofed adress. ;)

spoofing means that you fake an adress. it is impossible to start any kinda connection with a remote machine with a spoofed adress as the three way handshake is impossible.

the original dos attack was to use a unreal spoofed adress to send syn packets to a machine untill you used up all the possible connections on the machine.
Is that the same as using IP adresses to gain access to sites with passwotd protection - making the site think you are allready logged on ?? Excuse my ignorance on this, but i seem to have read that somewhere and i believe there is software to accomplish this.

Peace
UKMan

ugc
11-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Can spoofing an address be used to surf anonymously ?

james_bond_rulez
11-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ugc@19 November 2003 - 15:35

6. Posts that contain direct download links to copyrighted software, private ftp sites, serial numbers, warez sites, and hacking sites are prohibited. Posts directly or indirectly related to any of this information will be edited. Hacking discussions are strictly prohibited within the forum. Sig2dat quicklinks and hashes are NOT considered to be DDL, therefore allowed.

ip spoofing is a form of hacking. if you wanna discuss it further, do it outside this forum. However i will anwer ur question reguarding surfing the web anonymously. Proxy servers are used to maintain ur privacy on the internet, it acts as a middleman between you and the server that you are requesting information from. From the server side, it looks like only the middle man (proxy server) is requesting info not you.

UKMan
11-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+19 November 2003 - 17:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 19 November 2003 - 17:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ugc@19 November 2003 - 15:35

6. Posts that contain direct download links to copyrighted software, private ftp sites, serial numbers, warez sites, and hacking sites are prohibited. Posts directly or indirectly related to any of this information will be edited. Hacking discussions are strictly prohibited within the forum. Sig2dat quicklinks and hashes are NOT considered to be DDL, therefore allowed.

ip spoofing is a form of hacking. if you wanna discuss it further, do it outside this forum. However i will anwer ur question reguarding surfing the web anonymously. Proxy servers are used to maintain ur privacy on the internet, it acts as a middleman between you and the server that you are requesting information from. From the server side, it looks like only the middle man (proxy server) is requesting info not you. [/b][/quote]
Dont get ya knickers in a twist&#33;

All that was required was a short explanation about what it is, no-one asked HOW. We know the rules too, dont go acting high and mighty about it <_<

ugc
11-19-2003, 06:43 PM
I am ok with the answers I got. I am not wanting to "hack" anything, and didn&#39;t start this thread to flame anyone. Thanks for all you guy&#39;s answers. You have been helpful.

4play
11-19-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ukman
Is that the same as using IP adresses to gain access to sites with passwotd protection - making the site think you are allready logged on ?? Excuse my ignorance on this, but i seem to have read that somewhere and i believe there is software to accomplish this.

i suppose this is definetly possible but the problem will be that all return communication will go to the real owner of the spoofed ip adress. so you may be logged in but your never gonna recieve any data.

proxies are the way to go to stay anon.

I.am
11-19-2003, 07:00 PM
@james_bond_rulez, ip spoofing is not hacking :lol:
It can be used for destructive purposes but as everyone knows privacy is a major issue these days. If you find this hacking go report the pinned topic about proxy servers and how to use them :lol:

Privacy my friend is not hacking. Everyone who have concerns should do so ;)

I.am
11-19-2003, 07:02 PM
@UKMan, a server has to be really dumb and filled with security holes to have something like that.
An Ip address in the server&#39;s domain only tells you that you are not remote. You still have to login. Softwares like VPN allow you to have your IP in the range of the host. Many universities allow remote connections through VPN. Without that you dont even get a username/password.

It is highly unlikely that it can be done as simple as that. Needs a little bit more ;)

UKMan
11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, as ugc is well and truly satisfied and also I.am and 4play have given decent answers, mus&#39;nt forget JBR&#39;s answer too, i guess this topic can close with a successfull conclusion :)

Thx guys ;) And no secrets where given away :)

Peace
UKMan

4play
11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
wanna play with spoofing your ip addy
http://adm.freelsd.net/ADM/ADM-spoof.c
your gonna need *nix to compile it though. and its really dull once its done because you will never know if the recipient recieved it or not -_-

UKMan
11-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 4play@19 November 2003 - 20:13
wanna play with spoofing your ip addy
http://adm.freelsd.net/ADM/ADM-spoof.c
your gonna need *nix to compile it though. and its really dull once its done because you will never know if the recipient recieved it or not -_-
Now i think you have really closed this thread :lol:

I.am
11-19-2003, 08:22 PM
IBTL :lol: Now now, that is wrong :lol: :lol: