PDA

View Full Version : How do I stay protected for July?

rocky12
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey all. I was reading something online about the July crackdown. I read the paid recommendations, but could someone very kindly please recommend some free options to help me stay protected? I believe my ISP doesn't support SSL on both ports which are 443, and 563. My ISP is PTD. Maybe use PUTTY as a free option? I don't know how to use it though.

http://www.techsono.com/usenet/faq/us-isp-file-sharing-crackdown (That is what I was reading).

IdolEyes787
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Don't go outside or spf 50.

Again seriously with the level of paranoia that you seem to operate at wouldn't the judicious option simply be to save yourself the worry and not pirate stuff?

I know that if I thought I'd die every time I crossed the road I'd probably only try and cross the road if there were no other option.

mjmacky
06-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Perhaps someone in the MPAA is trying to learn something. And if that doesn't hit the mark, then I'll finish with this:

They're out to get you rocky, they're watching your ever move.

rocky12
06-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't go outside or spf 50.

Again seriously with the level of paranoia that you seem to operate at wouldn't the judicious option simply be to save yourself the worry and not pirate stuff?

I know that if I thought I'd die every time I crossed the road I'd probably only try and cross the road if there were no other option.

Seriously, what are free options that are people using to still pirate? Will you please tell me? I believe no one is going to recommend a free VPN, right? So, what are other options?

IdolEyes787
06-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I live in Canada where they haven't got around to filling in the movie/music thievery loopholes yet so I basically don't worry about getting "caught".
When they do enact Laws against it I will probably download even less than I do now or give it up entirely.

I personally don't feel the need to potentially go to prison or pay thousands in fines so that I can listen to Maroon 5 for free.

johhny
06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
the safest if you ca be is SSL+VPN(it’s exceptionally difficult and time consuming to get around computer encryption—even if you have supercomputers to handle the job),personally i don't use any of them i'm not scared .

IdolEyes787
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
the safest if you ca be is SSL+VPN(it’s exceptionally difficult and time consuming to get around computer encryption—even if you have supercomputers to handle the job),personally i don't use any of them i'm not scared .

My point exactly. That's why some people are bank robbers and some people steal money from kids on the playground.

rocky12
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM

My ISP does not support SSL. Would it be possible to get SSL+VPN for free? Or that kind of encryption is not free?

http://hak5.org/episodes/episode-607

Would that be a good free tutorial? If so, how can I do this strictly on a Windows PC only? They got some steps for Windows, but most of the tutorial is sudo. I know sudo is for Linux, and that sort, but I have no clue with Linux commands. I don't even know BSD commands. Could someone recommend something else then what I found that be focusing on only a PC to setup a SSL VPN?

http://hak5.org/episodes/episode-607

Would that be a good free tutorial? If so, how can I do this strictly on a Windows PC only? They got some steps for Windows, but most of the tutorial is sudo. I know sudo is for Linux, and that sort, but I have no clue with Linux commands. I don't even know BSD commands. Could someone recommend something else then what I found that be focusing on only a PC to setup a SSL VPN?

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Hey all. I was reading something online about the July crackdown.

You should buy all the crack you'll need before July.

Disme
06-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Would it be possible to get SSL+VPN for free? Or that kind of encryption is not free?

Nope ... you don't get that kind of protection for free. At least not decent protection.

rocky12
06-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Would it be possible to get SSL+VPN for free? Or that kind of encryption is not free?

Nope ... you don't get that kind of protection for free. At least not decent protection.

So, OpenVPN.net is not decent and it's not free? I wanted a decent SSL+VPN for free. Would it be decent if I followed a tutorial on a Windows PC to build that kind of encryption without paying?

manker
06-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I think what people are trying to tell you is that in order for you to get the level of protection you desire and for it to be fast enough for functionable torrenting, you will need to pay.

Don't forget, you're using someone else's bandwidth when you use a vpn, they pay for it so why should you get it for free.
The free versions you see are merely a marketing tool to entice you into buying their premium service.

The other thing is that, like Idol points out, if you're really this worried about illegally downloading movies or whatever, perhaps it would be a better idea to completely refrain from doing so.
It just doesn't sound like it's worth it - given things like netflix are available for as little as £10 per month.

rocky12
06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you, manker! Will this crackdown in July be affecting only torrents, or will it affect us with Usenet, or the networks/clients which are Ares, SoulSeek, eMule, and etc? Or exactly what is this crackdown be affecting?

manker
06-05-2012, 03:40 PM
No idea to be honest. The first I heard about a 'July crackdown' was your post in this thread.
I'm from the UK, though, so pay very little attention to such things.

Are you sure it's an actual thing. It could be propaganda :eyebrows:

rocky12
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's actual, or just another rumor.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=july+p2p+crackdown&oq=july+p2p+crackdown&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...4594.20331.0.21091.38.35.4.3.6.0.587.9025.0j11j15j6j0j2.34.0...0.0.AcB5v81onV4

rocky12
06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Would anyone recommend OpenVPN? Would that be SSL VPN?

If someone would recommend it. Is it free? Could I use it without a router? Could I use it just for myself on one PC? Would OpenVPN be what I'm looking for? I am using Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium Anytime Upgrade. That would be 32-bit as in x86.

Would the following tutorial work without a router? Or would suggest a better tutorial?
http://openmaniak.com/openvpn_install.php#

I am hoping someone could write back a reply by answering all of my questions, please.

Thank you,

Hey all. I was reading something online about the July crackdown.

You should buy all the crack you'll need before July.

Do you have to go half on a rock before July? I might need a glass pipe to go with this. It will be "crackdown". Lol.

anon
06-07-2012, 01:19 AM

If someone would recommend it. Is it free? Could I use it without a router? Could I use it just for myself on one PC? Would OpenVPN be what I'm looking for?

Yes to all, but I feel we're going in circles here. I believe you've already been told that OpenVPN is just the client and you need a server to connect to. Which considering your requirements, won't be free.

IdolEyes787
06-07-2012, 01:26 AM
The other thing is that, like Idol points out, if you're really this worried about illegally downloading movies or whatever, perhaps it would be a better idea to completely refrain from doing so.
It just doesn't sound like it's worth it - given things like netflix are available for as little as £10 per month.

I tried knocking but no one's answering.

rocky12
06-07-2012, 01:29 AM

If someone would recommend it. Is it free? Could I use it without a router? Could I use it just for myself on one PC? Would OpenVPN be what I'm looking for?

Yes to all, but I feel we're going in circles here. I believe you've already been told that OpenVPN is just the client and you need a server to connect to. Which considering your requirements, won't be free.

Um, what about ESXi from VMWare? I believe that's not a server? It's free. Someone from the Tech Guy Forums say they use at their job Juniper SA DTE with ESXi. So, why can't I just replace SA DTE with OpenVPN, and that would be OpenVPN with stand up box ESXi? Will that be a server?

mjmacky
06-07-2012, 01:31 AM
I have a feeling his next posts will be full of cyclical paranoia and more confused questioning.

Fuck, if only I posted it 2 minutes earlier.

IdolEyes787
06-07-2012, 01:32 AM
There is obviously something wrong with me because I've stolen stuff for years off the internet and don't have a fucking clue what you are on about.

o0oshadow
06-30-2012, 08:23 PM
go to private torrents and feel more secure, again if your that parinoid just stop doing it. there is no sure fire way everything is possible to trace.... just a matter of how difficult your going to make it to trace.

dkplayaclub
07-01-2012, 10:14 AM
I am not worried in the slightest. I have options as to my ISP. If they slow my speeds down or cut off my service I will raise hell and go to their competition. Maybe they will get tired of losing money cracking down on me and just give up. Maybe they will throw me in jail. Either way, I'm not going to change my habits and they are just gonna have to deal with that. You can be scared if you want, but there was piracy long before the internet existed and it will continue to thrive even if they outlawed cyberspace. This type of behavior is more likely to drive potential customers away than it is to protect profits. It's my guess that at least 70 to 80 percent of the people that download music and movies were never going to buy them anyways.