PDA

View Full Version : Hoi Art

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Just because you kill all the threads doesn't mean you have to go away. We can always start gnu ones...

Artemis
06-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I haven't gone away, but I'm not currently feeling marvelous. What I thought was the flu turns out to be something more fun filled and lingering.... glandular fever:sick: Anyway you have mary, he has an excellent track record at stopping freds dead in their tracks (probably more impressive than my own truth be told) and Squeams is very adept as a backup.
Today is the first time I've turned a PC on in 5 days, I logged on earlier, but was still not feeling great and didn't even poast. So don't expect any long history lessons to magically appear for a wee while yet, I'm still not feeling like tap dancing.

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey Art has all the vomiting left you feeling a little hoarse?

manker
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Mbm's mate swears that you can cure nausea by drinking four and a half pints of raw meat slurry.

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
And the worst part is you won't be able to drink alcohol for 4 months :console:

manker
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
A thing has to be really debilitating before it stops a person posting on the internets.

Get well soon, Arty :flowers:

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyway you have mary, he has an excellent track record at stopping freds dead in their tracks (probably more impressive than my own truth be told)

At least I don't start threads to brag about it.

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Anyway you have mary, he has an excellent track record at stopping freds dead in their tracks (probably more impressive than my own truth be told)

You don't give yourself enough credit,I believe you'd brag about anything.:)

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

You don't give yourself enough credit,I believe you'd brag about anything.:)

Sure, but the thread starting is the important part.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
You once started a thread to brag about not being a paedophile.
Which I thought was quite stunning.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM

If we start on a path of me bragging about all the things I'm not, this might never end.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM

If we start on a path of me bragging about all the things I'm not, this might never end.If you started a thread with a big list regarding all the things that you're proud that you're not, I'd read it for sure.

You're onto something there, Mary. Do it and be a hero.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
If you started a thread with a big list regarding all the things that you're proud that you're not, I'd read it for sure.

You're onto something there, Mary. Do it and be a hero.

Not to drag you down, but having that thought alone made me feel incredibly bored.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
That's the start, I'm proud of not being one who drags people down.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:58 AM
:(
You just dragged me down a little with your pooh-pooh.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 12:46 PM

I'm not one who is unappreciative of irony.

manker
06-05-2012, 01:06 PM

I'm not one who is unappreciative of irony.Which is incredibly ironic in and of itself given your fellow nationals' much maligned predisposition of being hard of ironing.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
The nationalists here can barely conceptualize a metaphor, let alone all of the other abstract devices.

They think the bible is literal.

manker
06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Bless them, though.
I keep saying that we need some of those types here. I still can't for the life of me fathom why they all left en mass.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I still can't for the life of me fathom why they all left en mass.

Because they matter.

manker
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
mass/matter
i see what you did there.

And also, i deleted that 'e' to see whether it looked more correct with or without.
I decided that it had to have the 'e' and then forgot to put it back in.

Both points in this post were brought to you by me to lessen the impact of Arty's absence.

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
mass/matter
i see what you did there.

And also, i deleted that 'e' to see whether it looked more correct with or without.
I decided that it had to have the 'e' and then forgot to put it back in.

Both points in this post were brought to you by me to lessen the impact of Arty's absence.

Not bad but can you do it with a funny accent?

manker
06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I'd find it more of a challenge to do it without a funny accent :eyebrows:

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
OK then do it on horseback while dodging opossums.

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Less than subtle euphemism there, Idol.

Artemis
06-07-2012, 06:14 AM

We just call them possums here, they are quite a bit larger than the North American versions, stockier too. The only time you have to dodge them though is when they find someones marijuana patch, they love it as much as we do,but it has a hilarious effect on them, they lose all co-ordination stumble around and fall out of trees, it's hilarious to watch.

Artemis
06-07-2012, 06:17 AM
And the worst part is you won't be able to drink alcohol for 4 months :console:

Yes the Doctor has already gleefully told me this, bastard!

mjmacky
06-07-2012, 10:57 AM

We just call them possums here, they are quite a bit larger than the North American versions, stockier too. The only time you have to dodge them though is when they find someones marijuana patch, they love it as much as we do,but it has a hilarious effect on them, they lose all co-ordination stumble around and fall out of trees, it's hilarious to watch.

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/over-the-hedge/podcast-ozzie-heather

IdolEyes787
06-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Crikey.

mjmacky
06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
North America has the originally named opossum. The down under ones were mislabeled as possums by a confused botanist, i.e. posers.
/debate

IdolEyes787
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I would tell you that they are called possums in Canada but why stand in the way of your tangent.

mjmacky
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
They are also called opossums in Canada, so there.

IdolEyes787
06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Only by the French and everyone agrees that we don't really care what they think.

megabyteme
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Only by the French and everyone agrees that we don't really care what they think.

Shut up.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM

In general, does anybody care what Canadians think? I mean, we don't normally have to worry about them murdering people or hatching some evil plot.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 12:37 AM

In general, does anybody care what Canadians think? I mean, we don't normally have to worry about them murdering people or hatching some evil plot.

Not true Canadians make the best serial killers since being bland we fade easily into the background.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Not true Canadians make the best serial killers since being bland we fade easily into the background.

You stole that quote from a moose.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 01:01 AM
I had one handy.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 01:02 AM
I hope that was pseudo-witty.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
North America has the originally named opossum. The down under ones were mislabeled as possums by a confused botanist, i.e. posers.
/debate

You also pronounce Aluminium 'aloominum' which I find exceedingly spastic, and half the population cannot complete the word vehicle without an inordinate pause in the middle, so of all the cultures currently mangling the english language, the award for running it through a meatgrinder in reverse definitely goes to the merkins. :naughty:

Actually I always wanted to ask a merkin how they pronounced Duralium since they struggle so with Aluminium, or less obscure but in the same family, Magnesium?

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
/debate

You also pronounce Aluminium 'aloominum' which I find exceedingly spastic, and half the population cannot complete the word vehicle without an inordinate pause in the middle, so of all the cultures currently mangling the english language, the award for running it through a meatgrinder in reverse definitely goes to the merkins. :naughty:

Actually I always wanted to ask a merkin how they pronounced Duralium since they struggle so with Aluminium, or less obscure but in the same family, Magnesium?

You're on about pronunciation, but you do realize the spelling also changes, right? It's full on written out aluminum here. Both variants followed after alumium failed to stick, all derived from alumina, which was a shiny metal substance. It was originally named aluminum, but then somebody bitched about it not being in line with how the new alkali and alkaline earth metals were being spelled. So what the rest of the world has is the spelling of a fussy, whiny, conformist bitch, and we get the original. All the others don't have duality spellings, so that should answer your other question.

Can you bitch about Mo, Pt, & Ta?

Artemis
06-08-2012, 11:58 AM

You're on about pronunciation, but you do realize the spelling also changes, right? It's full on written out aluminum here. Both variants followed after alumium failed to stick, all derived from alumina, which was a shiny metal substance. It was originally named aluminum, but then somebody bitched about it not being in line with how the new alkali and alkaline earth metals were being spelled. So what the rest of the world has is the spelling of a fussy, whiny, conformist bitch, and we get the original. All the others don't have duality spellings, so that should answer your other question.

Can you bitch about Mo, Pt, & Ta?

The research I have done into the etymology paints quite a different picture since Aluminium was official discovered by Hans Christian Oestered in Denmark in 1825 and called Alumine. It changed 3 more times till 1829 when it was named Aluminium because of it's mineral status after the German chemist Fredrich Wohler isolated Oestered's discovery.

The -ium was dropped in 1925 by the American Chemical Society to create the word aluminum, while the rest of the world that didn't get the memo tends to think you sound retarded when you speak like that. :blink:

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Can't this be better settled as gentlemen with you two Indian wrestling for it?
Obviously nightowl will film the contest and the result will be posted on youtube in 1080p.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
The research I have done into the etymology paints quite a different picture since Aluminium was official discovered by Hans Christian Oestered in Denmark in 1825 and called Alumine. It changed 3 more times till 1829 when it was named Aluminium because of it's mineral status after the German chemist Fredrich Wohler isolated Oestered's discovery.

The -ium was dropped in 1925 by the American Chemical Society to create the word aluminum, while the rest of the world that didn't get the memo tends to think you sound retarded when you speak like that. :blink:

Published by Davy in 1812

Artemis
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Can't this be better settled as gentlemen with you two Indian wrestling for it?
Obviously nightowl will film the contest and the result will be posted on youtube in 1080p.

Not only do I know what you are babbling about, I actually used to Indian wrestle back in the dark ages. Isn't pink handbags at 10 paces the way these things are sorted out any more? :blink:

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Mine's leathery brown on account of me being a very unpretty girl.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Published by Davy in 1812

Now I know you are pedantic so I will repeat myself slowly, clearly and completely this time (for brevity I lumped three names together including Davy's naming).

A timeline of the names of 'Aluminium'

1. In 1761, Louis-Bernard Guyton de Morveau a French chemist isolated 'Aluminium' for the first time and called his discovery 'Alumine'
2. Humphry Davy a Cornish chemist and inventor is credited with renaming 'Alumine' to 'Aluminum' in 1807 (from whence comes your english document).
3. 'Aluminium' was 'officially' discovered by Hans Christian Oestered in Denmark in 1825 as 'Aluminum'
4. This was altered to 'Aluminium' in 1827 two years later when the German chemist Friedrich Wohler isolated the chemical in Oestered's discovery.

In theory the story for the whole of the scientific world would have stayed the same if not a hundred years later with a stroke of it's mighty pen, the American Chemical Society decided it's members needed to sound more jaunty, have a point of difference from other delegates, or someone who just really didn't have enough to do came up with this exciting idea.

Which makes you sound like spastics. :blink:

A footnote:

At no point in any of this was an American in any way involved, until 98 years after the fact, in 1925, when they randomly decided to rename a commonly used element of the periodic table.

ckrit
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I agree. Let's all refer to gold as aurum from now on, as none of you fuckers should be allowed to change shit around.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
A timeline of the names of 'Aluminium'

1. In 1761, Louis-Bernard Guyton de Morveau a French chemist isolated 'Aluminium' for the first time and called his discovery 'Alumine'
2. Humphry Davy a Cornish chemist and inventor is credited with renaming 'Alumine' to 'Aluminum' in 1807 (from whence comes your english document).
3. 'Aluminium' was 'officially' discovered by Hans Christian Oestered in Denmark in 1825 as 'Aluminum'
4. This was altered to 'Aluminium' in 1827 two years later when the German chemist Friedrich Wohler isolated the chemical in Oestered's discovery.

This is all in order, I had put it up because you acknowledged no earlier use of aluminum before 1925 in your original presentation. As far as I recall, the ACS switch to Aluminum had to do with the decided spelling in our dictionaries. Nowadays, most major journals (e.g. JACS, obviously, ECS, Talanta) and vendors use Aluminum (e.g. Sigma-Aldrich (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?interface=All&term=aluminium&lang=en&region=US&focus=product&N=0+220003048+219853269+219853286&mode=match%20partialmax)), so it comes across as a bit archaic when someone says aluminium among chemists. Chemists being the only people that matter when it comes to elemental nomenclature :sly:

Artemis
06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree. Let's all refer to gold as aurum from now on, as none of you fuckers should be allowed to change shit around.

I personally want to change sulphur back to brimstone to not offend the theological amongst us. :naughty:

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I personally want to change sulphur sulfur back to brimstone to not offend the theological amongst us. :naughty:

:naughty:

Artemis
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
As far as I recall, the ACS switch to Aluminum had to do with the decided spelling in our dictionaries. Nowadays, most major journals (e.g. JACS, obviously, ECS, Talanta) and vendors use Aluminum (e.g. Sigma-Aldrich (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/search?interface=All&term=aluminium&lang=en&region=US&focus=product&N=0+220003048+219853269+219853286&mode=match%20partialmax)), so it comes across as a bit archaic when someone says aluminium among chemists. Chemists being the only people that matter when it comes to elemental nomenclature :sly:

Who decided to spell it differently?, or rather which Dictionary decided to randomly diverge to the point? I mean it is actually kind of bizarre that the ACS needed to rename the element.

Now I'm not a Chemist myself I will admit, but my best friend at University was a chem major, and because he ran into it alot more while being taught another way, it irritated him a great deal more than me. Me I just think sounds retarded. The other metallic elements all end in -ium, except for one, in America, where it was changed in 1925, for a not very satisfactory reason so far..... :idunno:

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Who decided to spell it differently?, or rather which Dictionary decided to randomly diverge to the point? I mean it is actually kind of bizarre that the ACS needed to rename the element.

Now I'm not a Chemist myself I will admit, but my best friend at University was a chem major, and because he ran into it alot more while being taught another way, it irritated him a great deal more than me. Me I just think sounds retarded. The other metallic elements all end in -ium, except for one, in America, where it was changed in 1925, for a not very satisfactory reason so far..... :idunno:

I can only assume the dictionary made the decision based on the earlier use of Aluminum. They could have almost used Alumium if they wanted, but I didn't work for a dictionary firm in the early 1900s, so I'm only speculating.

Also, you overlooked one of my points, being that Aluminum is not the only -um. Platinum, Molybdenum and Tantalum. The first two cannot be considered obscure exceptions. There is a particular methodology for how we arrive at -um. It's based on the nomenclature of oxide salts or metallic alloys. Whereas, you have magnesia and calcia salts, you have alumina and platina salts or alloys (something denoting impurity). Take something very similar to platina, palladia, and you can see how that yields platinum and palladium, respectively, when referring to the pure substance.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM

I can only assume the dictionary made the decision based on the earlier use of Aluminum. They could have almost used Alumium if they wanted, but I didn't work for a dictionary firm in the early 1900s, so I'm only speculating.

Also, you overlooked one of my points, being that Aluminum is not the only -um. Platinum, Molybdenum and Tantalum. The first two cannot be considered obscure exceptions. There is a particular methodology for how we arrive at -um. It's based on the nomenclature of oxide salts or metallic alloys. Whereas, you have magnesia and calcia salts, you have alumina and platina salts or alloys (something denoting impurity). Take something very similar to platina, palladia, and you can see how that yields platinum and palladium, respectively, when referring to the pure substance.

It actually took awhile to find your reference to Molybdenum and Platinum it was rather obscure when speed reading, had to go back and search s l o w l y dammit, sometimes you are too subtle for me.

Now while these are all valid points, it just fascinates me that almost one hundred years after the fact the American Chemical Society suddenly went 'I know, let's change the name, and while we're at it World, you can learn to say the same way too, because we are going to be the masters of the universe and our word is final!

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Still, the adoption has been more gradual. The U.S. does host many of the major journals with, and I feel personal discomfort in uttering this, high impact factors. I fucking hate IF's, but it's relevant in terms of propagation.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Still, the adoption has been more gradual insidious. The U.S. does host many of the major journals with, and I feel personal discomfort in uttering this, high impact factors. I fucking hate IF's, but it's relevant in terms of propagation.

Fixed that for ya. :naughty:

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
And to stamp a conclusion on all of this.

I don't really care about the U.S. and its cultural imperialism, but I like to think that researchers can set their own trends outside of nationality. We are making up terms all the time to label phenomena, factors and materials. Sometimes many synonymous variations coexist, and people tend to stick to favorites for some underlying reason. For instance, I'm trying to get everyone in our group to adhere to the usage of "coinage metals" to categorize the types of metals we implement in Raman signal enhancement. Why? Because it's the most unifying term when we want to list anything beyond Group 11 metals. Some people tend to use "noble metals", which is very misleading. Anyways, I'll cut this anecdote short before Idol finds me.

Also, I came close to calling you Darth Aluminium Dave, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it without sounding incredibly mean-spirited :/

Artemis
06-08-2012, 03:52 PM

I don't really care about the U.S. and its cultural imperialism, but I like to think that researchers can set their own trends outside of nationality. We are making up terms all the time to label phenomena, factors and materials. Sometimes many synonymous variations coexist, and people tend to stick to favorites for some underlying reason. For instance, I'm trying to get everyone in our group to adhere to the usage of "coinage metals" to categorize the types of metals we implement in Raman signal enhancement. Why? Because it's the most unifying term when we want to list anything beyond Group 11 metals. Some people tend to use "noble metals", which is very misleading. Anyways, I'll cut this anecdote short before Idol finds me.

Also, I came close to calling you Darth Aluminium Dave, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it without sounding incredibly mean-spirited :/

I personally don't think the U.S. has much of a culture to export anyway that isn't controlled sanitised and packaged by corporations willing to sell just about anything to make a percentage point in their market grouping, and some of it is just deeply moronic.

I do however understand your point about researchers 'making up terms all the time to label phenomena...' , perfectly understandable.
I still find it weird that an institute decreed that it would use an older name for a metal 98 years after that had been codified into the periodic table, that is a totally different and separate argument to the one you present, it is not a new discovery, it was not even the original name given to the find, so for me, it still strikes me as odd.
Of course being taught the 'english' way and having learned to say Aluminium all my life and as I previously mentioned not being a. a chemist nor b. a regular reader of any chemistry periodicals, it would strike me as odd.

A side note: calling me Darth Aluminium Dave strikes me more as petty than anything else especially as I didn't actually call you anything during that little debate, I can if you wish though?

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Wow this is like watching two super computers argue over whether you should have the toilet paper feed from the bottom or the top of the roll.

At this point I am fervently hoping that Darth Cicero shows up and tried to disprove you both with the theory that aluminuininum was in fact invented by Louis Riel and that's what really lead to the Red River Rebellion.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 04:35 PM
A side note: calling me Darth Aluminium Dave strikes me more as petty than anything else especially as I didn't actually call you anything during that little debate, I can if you wish though?

I just wanted to be facetious on the account that it was all pretty dry, but you called me a name caller :(

Darth - Topic of discussion
Aluminium - Self explanatory
Dave - Because I noticed you were really latching onto one specific thing that you repeated in I think three posts.

I can be petty, but I think this qualifies more as pseudo-witty commentary.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow this is like watching two super computers argue over whether you should have the toilet paper feed from the bottom or the top of the roll.

At this point I am fervently hoping that Darth Cicero shows up and tried to disprove you both with the theory that aluminuininum was in fact invented by Louis Riel and that's what really lead to the Red River Rebellion.

Thus, Darth Artemis was born.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 04:39 PM
That's a cool name I think I shall steal it the next time something requires me to hide my true identity.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Now you know how much I dislike revisionism, especially such specious and fanciful revisionism as this. As Joseph Satanaya said: Those who do not remember history, are condemned to repeat it.

Anyway Darth doesn't turn up as much since every one convinced him he was a bad computer, you broke him.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

but you were close.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 04:53 PM

but you were close.

But not close enough, now I'm going to get pissed, I'm forgetting quotes I've known all my adult life ffs.
To all the people out there that really fuck me off including you dave, I hope you get fucking glandular fever, it really, really fucks up your thought processes, which in your case would probably be a good thing.

megabyteme
06-08-2012, 05:00 PM

but you were close.

But not close enough, now I'm going to get pissed, I'm forgetting quotes I've known all my adult life ffs.
To all the people out there that really fuck me off including you dave, I hope you get fucking glandular fever, it really, really fucks up your thought processes, which in your case would probably be a good thing.

I just came back to post that the fever must be/have been quite high for you to take on a soon-to-be PhD in CHEMISTRY on the topic of the periodic table. :lol:

Artemis
06-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I just came back to post that the fever must be/have been quite high for you to take on a soon-to-be PhD in CHEMISTRY on the topic of the periodic table. :lol:

Read the thread again, s l o w l y this time. It isn't about the periodic table although some elements from it were introduced later on to balance an argument, it was actually about pronounciation, in particular the pronounciation of a word from the periodic table and how that was changed sort of magically out of the blue, all unilaterally like, by the ACS, in 1925.

Being from a country that didn't get the memo that the American Chemical Society had decided to change the name, it still sounds hilarious to me when it is pronounced that way. I have been taught all my life to use an alternative spelling and form.

But I'm scared now, Idol is going to come back with that toilet paper analogy again or something as equally inane, just to show how really important this is.

The prick.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 05:08 PM

You still sound like spastics when you say aluminum. :yup:

I thought his argument to continue using aluminium stood up rather well.

megabyteme
06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
But I'm scared now, Idol is going to come back with that toilet paper analogy again or something as equally inane, just to show how really important this is.

The prick.

On that, you'll get no arguments.

megabyteme
06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
By the way, I like the pronunciation of aluminium. But then again, it's always fun to hear :ghey:s talk.

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 07:20 PM

The prick.

You anger me.
Lucky for you I've already got those trumped up assault charges hanging over me or I swear to God I'd hunt you down and make a lampshade out of your skin.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 07:24 PM

You anger me.
Lucky for you I've already got those trumped up assault charges hanging over me or I swear to God I'd hunt you down and make a lampshade out of your skin.

Or is it because you already own a fleshlight?

IdolEyes787
06-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I believe it's spelled flashlight.

Artemis
06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
By the way, I like the pronunciation of aluminium. But then again, it's always fun to hear :ghey:s talk.

Actually that was a bit of a tangent really on my part, in reply to mj's tangent, but then it turned into a debate as it does, which is interesting for me, boring as fuck from the sidelines, and we didn't even get to the pronounciations that truly make me cringe (well one is a pronounciation the other is just odd).
The first is vehicle. Now for some strange reason large swathes of southern america are desparately trying to turn this into two words, either that or the silly fuckers can't say more than one syllable without taking a breath because more and more the swamp creatures are pronouncing the word ve hicle.

My second contention is one to do with how everyone these days seems to be enamored by jargon, actually calling everything with more than one wheel and an engine attached a ve hicle is an excellent example of this overexuberance with a term, but that really is only the silver place getter. The gold medallist in this respect from my point of view is the word 'facility'. Now you can call the local county settling pond and the lock up shed behind it a 'facility', if it has a vaguely official purpose, it automatically seems to warrant this catchall name.

Just a couple of small notes from a far, after a steady diet American cable shows that are getting worse and worse, it's like gumby brain surgery.

chalice
06-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Personally, I hate people who say 'a far' as opposed to 'afar'. I do it from afar, which is a far better way to do it, innit.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I believe it's spelled flashlight.

What you stick your dick into is none of my business; however, you're a lot more into electronics than you've previously revealed.

mjmacky
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I find it funny when I hear people pronounce garage like carriage.

megabyteme
06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
"Expresso" (espresso)
"haf to" (need to do something)
"use to" (past tense of something)

:pinch: :fist::frusty:

Artemis
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
The aids is progressing well though.....

This feckin virus will not go away, and I can't use any old Scottish remedy involving Whiskey or anything flammable, which leaves me with a lot of gay over the counter pharmacy drugs, that cost the earth and do sod all.

Squeamous
06-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Whether you like it or not, naming rights go to the discoverer, or at the very least people who had something to do with the discovery.

I went through my whole education without ever hearing an academic say 'aluminum' so as far as I'm concerned it's just a quirk and an Americanism. I always thought you guise said it that way because you found it hard to pronounce in your silly accents. Well, I've learned something here today: I overestimated you.

It doesn't really irritate me though, what irritates me is the fact Americans don't seem to be able to pronounce the 'H' in 'herb'. This has grammatical consequences because if I read a book written by an American they will prefix the word as if it begins with a vowel as in 'an herb' instead of 'a herb'. So not only is the word mispronounced, but even when I read it it fucks up the whole flow of the sentence. I think that's a much worse crime.

mjmacky
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Whether you like it or not, naming rights go to the discoverer, or at the very least people who had something to do with the discovery.

I went through my whole education without ever hearing an academic say 'aluminum' so as far as I'm concerned it's just a quirk and an Americanism. I always thought you guise said it that way because you found it hard to pronounce in your silly accents. Well, I've learned something here today: I overestimated you.

It doesn't really irritate me though, what irritates me is the fact Americans don't seem to be able to pronounce the 'H' in 'herb'. This has grammatical consequences because if I read a book written by an American they will prefix the word as if it begins with a vowel as in 'an herb' instead of 'a herb'. So not only is the word mispronounced, but even when I read it it fucks up the whole flow of the sentence. I think that's a much worse crime.

But that name wasn't established by its "discoverer", just by its first isolator/purifier. Others were attempting this before him but they knew what they were seeking. I've only heard or seen aluminium a couple of times, but then again maybe I have had a more thorough 'education' experience than you :sly:

As far as herb's pronunciation goes, I have a theory why we've dropped the beginning aspiration for the plant material. I'm making it up on the spot but I imagine it's so that there is a differentiation in sound between the object and a person by that nickname (of Herbert). I only say that because I once said to a Herb, "hey Urb, what kind of herbs do you like?

Squeamous
06-11-2012, 10:30 AM
But that name wasn't established by its "discoverer", just by its first isolator/purifier. Others were attempting this before him but they knew what they were seeking. I've only heard or seen aluminium a couple of times, but then again maybe I have had a more thorough 'education' experience than you :sly:

As far as herb's pronunciation goes, I have a theory why we've dropped the beginning aspiration for the plant material. I'm making it up on the spot but I imagine it's so that there is a differentiation in sound between the object and a person by that nickname (of Herbert). I only say that because I once said to a Herb, "hey Urb, what kind of herbs do you like?

I don't think it's about the thoroughness of either educations, I was addressing your point that you think in academia 'aluminium' is considered backward. The difference is simply location. You work in the US, I work in Europe. Americans are the only academics I hear at conderences and seminars who say 'aluminum', and because my education was English it never cropped up at all during my student years.
Fact remains the European spelling has intellectual precedent, and that's why it's stuck over here.

Your herb hypothesis may have validity...except it's probably the other way around if anything. The plant stuff is always referred to as 'erb' and it makes me want to make a bark rubbing out of the facial blood of the hippy saying it.

mjmacky
06-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't think it's about the thoroughness of either educations, I was addressing your point that you think in academia 'aluminium' is considered backward. The difference is simply location. You work in the US, I work in Europe. Americans are the only academics I hear at conderences and seminars who say 'aluminum', and because my education was English it never cropped up at all during my student years.
Fact remains the European spelling has intellectual precedent, and that's why it's stuck over here.

Your herb hypothesis may have validity...except it's probably the other way around if anything. The plant stuff is always referred to as 'erb' and it makes me want to make a bark rubbing out of the facial blood of the hippy saying it.

I don't actually think aluminium is backwards, it's just Mary being Mary. The comment about aluminum exposure though is another matter. You will find it your journals as well, http://pubs.rsc.org/en/results?searchtext=aluminum

About the herb thing. It is the other way around, I do it "backwards" on purpose. The name is pronounced with the aspiration, so I say it without. Vice versa for plant cuisine.

Squeamous
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM

I don't actually think aluminium is backwards, it's just Mary being Mary. The comment about aluminum exposure though is another matter. You will find it your journals as well, http://pubs.rsc.org/en/results?searchtext=aluminum

About the herb thing. It is the other way around, I do it "backwards" on purpose. The name is pronounced with the aspiration, so I say it without. Vice versa for plant cuisine.

You're a renegade. You're how I imagine the members of Rage Against the Machine are going to be when they're a stone heavier and ten years older.

mjmacky
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
You're a renegade. You're how I imagine the members of Rage Against the Machine are going to be when they're a stone heavier and ten years older.

So weird. One of my childhood friends had insisted there was someone on the cover of a RATM album that looked exactly like me when I was younger. Unfortunately, that album cover was Evil Empire (http://image.lyricspond.com/image/r/artist-rage-against-the-machine/album-evil-empire/cd-cover.jpg) :emo:

One of my absolute favorite bands by the way.

IdolEyes787
06-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Apparently we're all leftist.
Except a few people who only post in The Drawing Room who I'm guessing think Lawrence Welk is a subversive tool of the liberal media.

I also like Rise Against because it plays into my need to commit wanton violence against faceless establishment thingies.

Squeamous
06-11-2012, 10:38 PM
So weird. One of my childhood friends had insisted there was someone on the cover of a RATM album that looked exactly like me when I was younger. Unfortunately, that album cover was Evil Empire (http://image.lyricspond.com/image/r/artist-rage-against-the-machine/album-evil-empire/cd-cover.jpg) :emo:

One of my absolute favorite bands by the way.

Yeah.....the evil glare maybe.
They came and played a private gig at the Occupy site at St Paul's for the protesters, so I thought they were pretty cool after that. And I think they played a free gig in England after one of their songs got to number one at Xmas due to a campaign to keep an X-Factor clone off the top spot. My only complaint is that shitheads go mental in rock clubs whenever Killing in the Name comes on and I have to run away from the dance floor like Olive out of Popeye, arms flailing and wailing unbecomingly.

Apparently we're all leftist.
Except a few people who only post in The Drawing Room who I'm guessing think Lawrence Welk is a subversive tool of the liberal media.

I also like Rise Against because it plays into my need to commit wanton violence against faceless establishment thingies.

mjmacky
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
My only complaint is that shitheads go mental in rock clubs whenever Killing in the Name comes on and I have to run away from the dance floor like Olive out of Popeye, arms flailing and wailing unbecomingly.

Do they mosh? I remember once when I moshed, I was there with a girl who started crying afterwards because she thinks I'm much more of a violent person than I let on to be. I remember thinking that was absurd since I'm clearly all bark.

Squeamous
06-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Do they mosh? I remember once when I moshed, I was there with a girl who started crying afterwards because she thinks I'm much more of a violent person than I let on to be. I remember thinking that was absurd since I'm clearly all bark.

Well everybody moshes, but these douches always have to mental, like the more mental they go the more they really mean it.
In general I find people in rock clubs are usually the gentlest, most passive people you could wish to meet. Moshing is just a massive outpouring of energy isn't it? Nothing to do with violence. Your friend is/was a pussy.

mjmacky
06-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Moshing is just a massive outpouring of energy isn't it? Nothing to do with violence. Your friend is/was a pussy.

I tried to explain to her that was the reason I was throwing people and that it wasn't much different than high school hijinks :smilie4:

Nowadays, I'd prefer to see a band while I sit in an uncrowded area at a table with good beer at my disposal and no one telling me that I can't smoke. Unfortunately, the bands playing my setting tend to suck. Really, I mean suck. There was one several months ago where I couldn't tell if they were a band or a comedy act.

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I tried to explain to her that was the reason I was throwing people and that it wasn't much different than high school hijinks :smilie4:

Nowadays, I'd prefer to see a band while I sit in an uncrowded area at a table with good beer at my disposal and no one telling me that I can't smoke. Unfortunately, the bands playing my setting tend to suck. Really, I mean suck. There was one several months ago where I couldn't tell if they were a band or a comedy act.

:lol:

You can still smoke indoors? :O
My favourite setting is outdoors where I can dance and smoke and drink at the same time; that's civilised. I don't know how anyone can listen to live music sitting down, unless it's classical.

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
You can still smoke indoors? :O
My favourite setting is outdoors where I can dance and smoke and drink at the same time; that's civilised. I don't know how anyone can listen to live music sitting down, unless it's classical.

Unfortunately, I'm not talking about indoors. I'm meeting increasing difficulties trying to smoke outdoors. My campus has banned it, many of the establishments are using those policies for their balcony/outdoor areas. The trend tells me that the only place I will be able to smoke is in the middle of the street when there's no traffic. It's getting a bit absurd.

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Yeah we've been banned from any areas outside that may be viewable from the street. We're officially anti-social leper people. We've been relegated to the back of the bike shed :sadwalk:

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah we've been banned from any areas outside that may be viewable from the street. We're officially anti-social leper people. We've been relegated to the back of the bike shed :sadwalk:

If they saw how cool my cancer thread was, they wouldn't be so combative. Speaking of which, my antique tobacco shredder just came in. Yep, I spent more money :bag:

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
If they saw how cool my cancer thread was, they wouldn't be so combative. Speaking of which, my antique tobacco shredder just came in. Yep, I spent more money :bag:

Ooo, pics please!
I suppose spending money on these little projects is a good way to distract yourself from your non refundable marriage :happy:
Plus it saves you from having to take up golf, which everyone knows is the last resort of the Unhappy Man x

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Ooo, pics please!
I suppose spending money on these little projects is a good way to distract yourself from your non refundable marriage :happy:
Plus it saves you from having to take up golf, which everyone knows is the last resort of the Unhappy Man x

I'm actually considering doing a video. I have never seen a video of one and had no idea how exactly it worked until I got it. It's pretty nifty and genius, putting all of my other ruminations to shame (one was string based, and the other was roller based similar to how copper gas tubes are cut). Maybe if someone actually understands the principle from watching it, they'll come out with their own product. That way, shred & roll your own won't have to rely on bidding on items made in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I can link to one similar to mine (http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/german-teck-1-cast-iron-tobacco-crimper-cutter) for now.

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I can only imagine golf being fun if I were hitting the balls out of the mouths of people I despised... lined up on a driving range. Also, I'd be drunk and wearing a blindfold (and earplugs because the sounds of screaming are actually quite annoying).

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
:happy:

How are you going to get it delivered without somebody stealing it?

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I set up camp at my front door, but it's already been delivered :huh:

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Where?

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Where?

Huh?

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Where?

Huh?

Five past three.

manker
06-12-2012, 10:42 PM
So anyway. How did the parcel of leaves get by the door camp.

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 10:43 PM
√9 : (√9)! - 9/9

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
So anyway. How did the parcel of leaves get by the door camp.

I'm genuinely lost by the line of questioning so I'm just going to end it all :emo:

I have made myself present to accept all recent packages by leaving my front door physically open. My new leaves and antique tobacco shredder are in my possession.

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 10:55 PM
As always, pulling teeth would be less time consuming.

manker
06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
inorite!

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
That's it, new thread.

Squeamous
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
:fear:

manker
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
If this was Mary's thread, she wouldn't have given up so easily.

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 11:29 PM

1st post contextual ftw

Artemis
06-12-2012, 11:33 PM

I haven't given up, I'm just vaguely confused, the derailment of the fred has left little to defend. :idunno:

manker
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Without a link, context is worthless.
And also, contextual wut.

manker
06-12-2012, 11:41 PM

I haven't given up, I'm just vaguely confused, the derailment of the fred has left little to defend. :idunno:
You're not Mary, you're Arty!

This confusion. It's not simple perplexion, is it. Seems more complete like dicombobulation :console:

Artemis
06-12-2012, 11:47 PM
You're not Mary, you're Arty!

This confusion. It's not simple perplexion, is it. Seems more complete like dicombobulation :console:

dicombobulation? What is currently meandering through your cranium? As to my discombobulation, it is more that I'm currently checking for gas leaks, since I think the participants have a much higher concentration of carbon monoxide in their systems than is recommended in the better poasting guide. :blink:

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Without a link, context is worthless.
And also, contextual wut.

For the click lazy

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/449530-Hoi-Art?p=3681857&viewfull=1#post3681857