PDA

View Full Version : Here's an issue to pick at

tralalala
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Went to the supermarket today to get some groceries and stuff (people need to eat once in a while, y'know). Anyways, when I got to the cottage cheese refrigerator, as usual, I looked for the ones with the longest "sell by date" period on it. Of course It felt like if I had a shovel handy it would have taken me less time to eventually get a hold on 3 containers that had more than 3 days left on it, and then it sprung to my mind -

Wouldn't it be a genius idea for the store manager to have a separate fridge for stuff that only has 1-3 days left on the sell by date (specifically milk products), and sell them at a reduced price? I've seen it done with fruits and vegetables, then why not with milk and other chilled products? It would account for better shopping by us (not buying stuff for the sake of it since it has a long period of time left on it and end up throwing it away anyways since we never end up using it), and would probably make the shop more popular since they offer cheaper products.
It would probably also be better for the environment (only shop for what you need ==> less garbage to throw out).

Or is this all just pish off the top of my head?

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Or just give them away for free, else they'll end up being thrown out.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
The supermarkets I go to already do this, they put big orange stickers on it and you feel like a chav if you have too many of them.
They judge, those checkout girls, the judge hard and as a result I always choose the oldest woman, even if she has a longer queue, because who cares what old people think.

tralalala
06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Nope, the supermarkets return the outdated products and receive a full refund for them. That's why it should actually be a win-win situation for everyone here..

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Nope, the supermarkets return the outdated products and receive a full refund for them. That's why it should actually be a win-win situation for everyone here..

How the fuck does that fly? Isn't it a grocery store's gamble to decide how much to stock?

the judge hard and as a result I always choose the oldest woman

How hard was the judge?

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
What Manker said.

Also over here they don't "send it back". They throw it out. There's a "freetarian" movement all about rescuing food from these bins for consumption.

IdolEyes787
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
... because who cares what old people think.

Funeral parlours.

tralalala
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Apparently not - I worked at a grocery store and any defective stuff, out of date stuff, or even stuff that fell on the floor and exploded was then returned for a refund, so they don't lose out.

@manker - Next time go buy all the orange-stickered stuff, go to the young girls on the till and tell 'em that if they think your a cheapskate, they should go fuck off since with the wages they get they should be shopping for the orange-stickered stuff too. :)

manker
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Nope, the supermarkets return the outdated products and receive a full refund for them. That's why it should actually be a win-win situation for everyone here..If they get a full refund for them in Israel, then they'd actually lose money by offering them at a discount which was larger than the mark up - which for dairy produce would be around 15% once you take into account the carriage, handling and storage. So they never will.

That's definitely not the case in the UK.
Otherwise supermarket managers could afford to be profligate and offer a massive range of perishables with nary a nod at frugality. The farmers would revolt and bleeding heart liberals everywhere would boycott that supermarket.

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
What Manker said.

Also over here they don't "send it back". They throw it out. There's a "freetarian" movement all about rescuing food from these bins for consumption.

What Mary said.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
... because who cares what old people think.

Funeral parlours.
The dead don't usually think much at all.
Isn't it the younger relatives who organise and pay for these events.

manker
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
@manker - Next time go buy all the orange-stickered stuff, go to the young girls on the till and tell 'em that if they think your a cheapskate, they should go fuck off since with the wages they get they should be shopping for the orange-stickered stuff too. :)They're sneaky with their judging. They don't give any indication of it but you just know that once you've left the store, they get together in their staff room and talk about all the chavs who buy rancid milk to save 20p.

it's just not worth it :no:

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 01:19 PM
What Mary said.

What Arty said. Or would say if he wasn't too sick to type about the history of the farmers' revolt during Europe 1217-1219. And the effects of refrigeration only leading to cold resistant bacteria. And stuff.

Get well soon, Art. :)

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
What Mary said.

What Arty said. Or would say if he wasn't too sick to type about the history of the farmers' revolt during Europe 1217-1219. And the effects of refrigeration only leading to cold resistant bacteria. And stuff.

We never know what we're missing until it's stripped from us like voting rights at our sentencing.

megabyteme
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM

We never know what we're missing until it's stripped from us like voting rights at our sentencing.

Voting rights, meh. What'll get me is the loss of the right to bear arms para-military assault rifles, advanced polymer frame handguns, and tactical shotguns. :cry:

mjmacky
06-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Voting rights, meh. What'll get me is the loss of the right to bear arms para-military assault rifles, advanced polymer frame handguns, and tactical shotguns. :cry:

I chose voting rights for their non critical nature :devil:

JPaul
06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
What Manker said.

That's not how you spell pikey.

manker
06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Irishist.

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Pfft. You can live for free on that stuff! That is you could until the supermarkets found out what was going on and started locking the bins or prosecuting people for theft.

tralalala
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
My point was that in theory, yes, they shop may not make as much on the products, but they sell it at more than they bought it for in the first place. So they'd reduce their profit, but in turn they would become more popular since people would come to them for cheaper food, and they'd be doing their bit for "nature" (less garbage etc.). I suppose the government could also offer tax breaks for places that would attempt to throw out less food.. And it would also save the supermarket a hell of a mess round the fridges (since people always dig around for food with a longer sell by date period).. Just my thoughts, that's all..

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm just astonished that you have an actual cottage cheese cabinet and that you felt you needed 3 containers of the putrid shite.

manker
06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
:lol:

I thought that too; 'wtf, a freezer just for cottage cheese.'

manker
06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
In related news; I won't let teh missus go grocery shopping anymore.
She just can't do it properly. I don't mind wasting money on electrical items or cars or chrome but, ffs, why would anyone spend more than was strictly necessary on stuff like Dairylea or Wotsits.

It beggars belief.

JPaul
06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Spending money on electrical items is not wasting it.

You didn't think that through.

manker
06-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Spending money on electrical items is not wasting it.

You didn't think that through.
You say that but Snee told me it was a waste to buy a Kindle Fire when I already had an iPad and two other Kindles.
And we all know how serious he is about his internet knick-knackery.

So.

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 09:13 PM
She just can't do it properly. I don't mind wasting money on electrical items or cars or chrome but, ffs, why would anyone spend more than was strictly necessary on stuff like Dairylea or Wotsits.

It beggars belief.

Dairylea and Wotsits? That depends, is it lunch or dinner?

manker
06-05-2012, 09:21 PM

It beggars belief.

Both.
Do you think I'm made of money.

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Both.

I'm guessing you're mostly made of salt and monosodium glutamate :smilie4:

manker
06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Both.

I'm guessing you're mostly made of salt and monosodium glutamate :smilie4:An unhappy side effect of my glutton free diet :(

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm guessing you're mostly made of salt and monosodium glutamate :smilie4:An unhappy side effect of my glutton free diet :(

I have to hand it to your missus though, all she had to do to get out of doing the shopping was buy a few bits of shit food. It's the kind of ploy your kind have been using for decades!

manker
06-05-2012, 09:41 PM
An unhappy side effect of my glutton free diet :(

I have to hand it to your missus though, all she had to do to get out of doing the shopping was buy a few bits of shit food. It's the kind of ploy your kind have been using for decades!inorite. I've done a similar thing with making coffee both in work and at home.

If I didn't like going shopping, I would maybe have suffered through all the terrible food choices and just gone down my mam's to eat on occasion, like I do with an armful of clothes when I'm not happy with the ironing.

I don't know why but girls really hate that kind of thing :unsure:

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
inorite. I've done a similar thing with making coffee both in work and at home.

If I didn't like going shopping, I would maybe have suffered through all the terrible food choices and just gone down my mam's to eat on occasion, like I do with an armful of clothes when I'm not happy with the ironing.

Yeah it's really weird. Guys don't like it when you do that either, especially if you do it with their friends.

manker
06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
inorite. I've done a similar thing with making coffee both in work and at home.

Yeah it's really weird. Guys don't like it when you do that either, especially if you do it with their friends.Wait.
What do you do with your other half's friends and your mam.

More info is needed. Pics also if possible.

Squeamous
06-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Yeah it's really weird. Guys don't like it when you do that either, especially if you do it with their friends.Wait.
What do you do with your other half's friends and your mam.

More info is needed. Pics also if possible.

You tricksy Welsh :fist: