PDA

View Full Version : Block Account as fill server in Newsbin Pro and it's behaviour???

citycfai
06-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Does anyone understand the behaviour of fill server in Newsbin Pro? When does the fill server kick in? Anyway to control the fill server etc?

Currently, I am subcribed to Supernews Unlimited with 10 connection to SN US and EU server each.

Exisitingly, I set AstraWeb and Usetnet-News Block Account as fill server.
I bought Astraweb 1000gb at $50 and Usenet-News 200gb at $22

Question:
1) Should I set SN and AW as main server since SN is unlimited and I have 1000gb on AW
2) What is the connection suggestion for SN and AW as main, I have a 20mb unlimited broadband line
3) I heard of terrabyte tuesday from NewsgroupDirect for $40 on 1.1Tb block account, is it a good idea to get this too, or it is overkill?

With SN (giga) + AW + Usenet-News (readnews) + Terrabyte Tuesday (Hindwinds), I will have covered all four major newsprovider. Is this idea sound crazy for Newsbin Pro as configuration?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

citycfai

mesaman
06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Behavior differs between Newsbin Pro V5 and V6.

sandman_1
06-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Fill servers "fill in" missing pieces, that your master servers don't have, if they have it. You can have as many fill servers as you want. Newsbin will only use them if and only if the master server doesn't have the article.

Set your unlimited accounts as masters, in other words don't check anything in the server options below TCP port settings except maybe retention. The block accounts should have "Fill Server" and "No Header Download" checked. Use V6 because V5 doesn't work correctly.

citycfai
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for both replies.

I am using Newsbin Pro v6

My intention is
1) Set Supernews as main unlimited server
2) Set Astra + Usenet-News Block Account as "fill server"

Any comment on setting below:
1. Supernews, use both US and EU servers, set connection as 10 for EU, 10 for US
2. AW (as fill server), use both US and EU servers, set connection as 5 for EU, 5 for US
3. Usenet-News (as fill server), use both US and EU servers, set connection as 5 for EU, 5 for US

Master server will have 20 connection, fill server will have AW and Usenet-News10 connection each.

Does this sound feasible for optimal performance?

Thanks