sandman_1
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Saw this posted on DSLR.

usenetstorm.com/index.php

Caveats:

1. Limited to 500MB file size
2. Must upload nzb through their website
3. They download it and then zip-it-up for you to download
4. 5Mbps max download if available (it says best available bandwidth)
5. Retention 1347 days or so they say

You can break up a large file into 500MB pieces and do a separate nzb for each (pain in the arse). I had 4 downloads going at same time but wouldn't let me do the last two nzb files to complete the file. The interface at the website is flaky.

Their premium accounts are a joke, on par with Giganews pricing.

mjmacky
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
So it's basically an http downloading service for usenet.

Hole69
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Rubbish. This is only to try and squeeze some cash out of torrent users. Usenet will never end up like Rapidshit.

manker
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Rubbish. This is only to try and squeeze some cash out of torrent users. Usenet will never end up like Rapidshit.
I used http based newsgroups for years, Easynews. This was maybe eight years ago, however, and before I got to grips with newsreaders.

So it's not really ending up like RS, more a case of going back in time to appeal to the hard of thinking.

anon
06-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Rubbish. This is only to try and squeeze some cash out of torrent users.

With the multi-NZB trick, it might come useful if you're using a restricted connection but need to get something off Usenet. And if retention really is ~1300 days, that's pretty nice for a free service.

Thanks for the link, sandman!

Cabalo
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Their main feature is the retention itself, fantastic for a free service.
Certainly will use this as some kind of fill server for stuff older than 400 days.

Thanks for the info.

lafront
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
But when I tried to download nzbs they kept saying "there's a problem with your NZB" numerous time even though I've tested these so-called 'failed' nzb's on my Unzbin/Newsbin pro clients and they all work flawlessly! I say this is bullshit. It's was an attempt and an excuse to cap free downloaders. Please don't use it, don't buy it! Waste your time!

sandman_1
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
@lafront

Yea I noticed that also. I downloaded around 1.5GB before it started rejecting all nzb's I would upload to it. IDK if it was because I had 3 to 4 separate downloads going already or they have some sort of hidden cap in place. All in all, it is not a very good free service but I thought I would let you guys know about it. Might be good for a fill "serverish" type of thing, i.e. DMCA'd stuff on your main account. Just would have to create a separate nzb for the articles you were missing.

mjmacky
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
@lafront
@sandman

Were you restricting your nzb to 500 MB of the data's file size? It's listed as one of their restrictions.

LazyGuy
06-14-2012, 06:05 PM
There is also Usegrab which offers a similar service for free
file limit is 1.5GB (was 5GB previously)

mlindsay
06-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Why not use " Just for today.net " it's totally free and has no size limit and I get about 500kbs speed which I think is decent for a free server. I have downloaded things much older than 1000 days as well. I also have an account with XS news but I don't think they are free anymore and anyway " justfortoday.net " is faster.

anon
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Why not use " Just for today.net " it's totally free and has no size limit and I get about 500kbs speed which I think is decent for a free server. I have downloaded things much older than 1000 days as well. I also have an account with XS news but I don't think they are free anymore and anyway " justfortoday.net " is faster.

Some of us Usenet freeloaders already have both in our arsenals. :)

nntpjunkie
06-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Would be cool if the free file size wasn't so small, what you going to do with 500MB? Forget the pay option prices are way out there

sandman_1
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
@lafront
@sandman

Were you restricting your nzb to 500 MB of the data's file size? It's listed as one of their restrictions.

Yea.

mlindsay
06-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Some of us Usenet freeloaders already have both in our arsenals. :)

You can't use two servers at once...can you ? I have never found the need for a second server for " filler " like some people say, to get incomplete files, but yes I have two as well, but I find myself using " justfortoday.net " because of the speed and lack of restrictions, but please tell me if I am off track.

anon
06-15-2012, 05:46 PM
You can't use two servers at once...can you ?

Never did it, but I've read in this section that it's possible.

I have never found the need for a second server for " filler " like some people say, to get incomplete files, but yes I have two as well, but I find myself using " justfortoday.net " because of the speed and lack of restrictions, but please tell me if I am off track.

My main free server is Binload, which is just fine for my casual usage - good speeds, enough retention, never had a corrupted or incomplete download so far. Sadly, they've disabled new signups for some time now. I was fortunate enough to get in before that.

As backup, I have XS Usenet and Just4Today, in that order (too lazy to fetch a new login every day :blushing:). XS's speeds suck, though. There's also IPv6-tunnel servers, which I personally haven't tinkered with so far, but hear good things about. If you want to try that, there's plenty of documentation in this forum.

Cabalo
06-15-2012, 06:08 PM
just4today's retention is 10 days approx. You sure about those 1000+ days ? :ermm:

mlindsay
06-15-2012, 06:17 PM
just4today's retention is 10 days approx. You sure about those 1000+ days ? :ermm:

Yes I am completely sure. I have recently downloaded several files between 700mg - 2.0 gigs that were hundreds of days old, and yes, a couple were over 900 days old. I know the website states the retention is 10 days, but there has been hardly any NZB I haven't been able to download, unless it was extremely old like 1300 or 1400 days, and I haven't had hardly any incomplete files.

sandman_1
06-17-2012, 03:15 PM
There is also Usegrab which offers a similar service for free
file limit is 1.5GB (was 5GB previously)

Thanks for that info.