PDA

View Full Version : Any News Of Cinavia Workarounds?

Busyman
06-18-2012, 02:27 AM
I know Cinavia is only on BR but many DVD rips are mislabeled and come from BR. 20 minutes in, my sound cuts on PS3 and I have to get another version of the movie. Sometimes it cuts out in 3 minutes.

I like being able to just pop my movie on a thumbdtive plug in and play on my big screen.

The weird thing is that I can play the same movie for 20 more minutes the next day. I haven't got a ton of Cinavia DRMed movies but it can be a tad annoying.

stan
06-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Not 100% true. It is on some dvd's as well.

http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

Hole69
06-20-2012, 04:04 AM
Drop the useless PS3 and get a decent streamer/HTPC.

mlindsay
06-22-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't even use my PS3 anymore for this reason. What I suggest is to get a blue-ray player that has a USB connection that can play files. I just bought an LG ( the LGs seem to play any file and you can even hook up a 1 or 2 TB hard drive to it ) for only $ 50.00. There hasn't been any files yet I haven't been able to play. I am sorry that there doesn't seem any true fix, however take heart that there are many inexpensive alternatives :) I would suggest buying one soon because many " NEW " blu-ray players will have Cinavia protection ( especially Sony ) Or you could of course hook up your computer directly to your TV. I have been told by a friend that the PS3 media server will bypass any Cinavia but I haven't tried it because I find having a 2 TB hard drive connected to my DVD player extremely easy and have no need for any other method at this moment.

Hole69
06-24-2012, 06:23 AM
ALL new BD players are mandated to have Cinavia, and I wouldn't be surprised if firmware was released for older players with Cinavia snuck in. I'd avoid all BD players and focus on a ~$350 HTPC or ~$120 media streamer.

haveaclue
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
noway around cinavia on ps3 unless its a jailbroke CFW3.55 :)

mlindsay
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
ALL new BD players are mandated to have Cinavia, and I wouldn't be surprised if firmware was released for older players with Cinavia snuck in. I'd avoid all BD players and focus on a ~$350 HTPC or ~$120 media streamer.

Couldn't you just not update it ?

Hole69
06-25-2012, 06:02 AM

Couldn't you just not update it ?

Of course. Just saying.

mlindsay
06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
There, are certainly advantages to using a media streamer. Do you think they will shove Cinavia in those soon too ? :)

Hole69
06-25-2012, 11:58 PM
More than likely. Popcorn hour's model with a BD drive looks like it has it. The best alternative as of right now is a HTPC.

Evil Fish
07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
you can convert the audio to eliminate the cinavia problem. it is very time consuming however. I did one video that was split into two "CDs" (old school) and i was already sick of doing it after the first one. if you would like a pdf of how to do it just PM me.

megabyteme
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I got tired of transferring files to thumb drives (and got tired of burning a looong time ago). I have been quite happy with the Western Digital media players. I've got it (them, actually) networked, and open all my files from one folder. Transcoding options (like TVersity et al) suck. Find a device that natively supports your files, and be done with it.

HTPCs are also nice for their ability to do whatever you throw at 'em, but cost more, and usually have fan noise. I like the media players myself.

Hole69
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
You can slap together a mini-ITX HTPC that is cemetery silent and the size of an oversized DVD case in less than 60min. It will cost around ~600 though. That can drop to ~350 if you choose a slightly louder midi tower. Small parts are not cheap. I personally would stick with a mid tower. I couldn't care less about size and noise isn't that different. More importantly, a chunky mid tower is easy to work in. You won't slice your fingers up fiddling with a tiny case.