PDA

View Full Version : How do I upload an xls spreadsheet to the forum ?

mlindsay
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I have an idea for a new thread in " guides and tutorials " I want to contribute something back to the community and I'm sure my idea has not been posted yet. In order to make my tutorial more effective I would like to upload a spreadsheet as part of my tutorial. It's not a large file, about 70 kb and it's an xls spreadsheet but I suppose I could convert it to a different format if it's easier.
This will be my first substantial post of what I concider to be useful information for you folks ( especially for anyone with large amounts of files, but you will see that in my guide ) I want to make this as nice as possible for you, please give me some advice. :)

anon
06-22-2012, 07:46 PM
The forum accepts ZIP and RAR attachments of up to 10 megabytes. Just use your favorite compressor to put the spreadsheet inside an archive of either format. :)

mlindsay
06-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Huh?
Seriously mlindsay learn to read people's intent better before making judgement on them.

Your absolutely right :) I'm not to proud to admit when I'm wrong. If I had bothered to read previous posts of yours instead of just basing my judgement on the couple of conversations we have had, I probably would have come to another conclusion. I guess that's why I'm the Noob.:) I thought you were refering to something else...but never mind :)
Thanks for the great advice Anon. Could someone recommend an easy program convert to ZIP or RAR. I have unconverted these files with Grabit, but that's done automatically, and I have no experience creating ZIP or RAR.

anon
06-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the great advice Anon. Could someone recommend an easy program convert to ZIP or RAR. I have unconverted these files with Grabit, but that's done automatically, and I have no experience creating ZIP or RAR.

I forgot about this since I don't use it, but in Windows XP and above you can simply right-click the file -> Send To -> Compressed Folder (ZIP), if you haven't uninstalled this feature. Otherwise, try 7-Zip or WinRAR.

tesco
06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I've added xls and xlsx to type of allowed attachments.

mjmacky
06-23-2012, 12:38 AM
I add 7-zip to every installation I do.

Anyways, I have no idea how you're supposed to attach these files since all I get is "invalid file". I don't know of any other interface besides "insert image" so that could be my problem.

anon
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Anyways, I have no idea how you're supposed to attach these files since all I get is "invalid file". I don't know of any other interface besides "insert image" so that could be my problem.

Let's try attaching something made with my counterfeit Chinese Excel...

I used the attachment button to the left of "undo" in the editor, that's what I use for images as well.

mjmacky
06-23-2012, 01:05 AM

Oh, I have to go advanced, I never do that.

Let's see if it displays inline.

manker
06-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Works.

mlindsay
06-23-2012, 05:32 AM
I've added xls and xlsx to type of allowed attachments.

You are an extremely kind fellow :) thank you and I will start working on my guide for you. It might not be overwhelmingly helpful for really advanced users, but maybe someone will learn a trick or two.

mlindsay
06-24-2012, 04:35 AM
this is a test116934

Please ignore my uploading of the file " movies on hard drive " it is not a complete file yet and I did not mean to upload it. The spreadsheet is actually just a small part of the guide I am writing. I am not sure how to remove an uploaded file, otherwise I would have done so. :)

tesco
06-24-2012, 12:46 PM
this is a test116934Please ignore my uploading of the file " movies on hard drive " it is not a complete file yet and I did not mean to upload it. The spreadsheet is actually just a small part of the guide I am writing. I am not sure how to remove an uploaded file, otherwise I would have done so. :)On the bottom of the Manage Attachments popup window, there is the Attachments section, hover over the attachment you want to remove then click the X in the top right corner.
Then save teh post.

anon
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Then save teh post.

I believe just deleting the attachment without saving is enough. You can also delete them through here (http://filesharingtalk.com/profile.php?do=editattachments).

tesco
06-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Then save teh post.

I believe just deleting the attachment without saving is enough. You can also delete them through here (http://filesharingtalk.com/profile.php?do=editattachments).
That was an edit, originally I added one then deleted it without saving and it still appeared in the post.

mlindsay
06-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Wow, you guys are amazing :) Thanks for all your help, it doesn't go unappreciated. I think I'm getting the hang of the whole attachments thing now. I feel honored that members here give this noob so much help and support and I will try to be a good member of your community :)

anaptulty
05-12-2013, 06:23 AM
If you have a website you would like to share with the requestor, you must ask them to pass you a note if they are interested Or, strategically place a few coolers around your living room for bottles and cans so people don't have to go too far to get beer

anon
05-12-2013, 04:39 PM
^ That's good advice.