PDA

View Full Version : The Newsroom

IdolEyes787
06-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Aaron Sorkin's new tilting at windmills show is getting a lot of negative press (http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/06/20/sorkinmania-book-iv-part-1/) probably because the people who dictate this type of thing don't like to be put in such an obviously bad light.
I recorded it a few days ago and didn't that it would amount to much so I only just watched it.

I thought it was the best TV that I had seen in a very,very long time but then I still like my heroes to wear white hats and to always win.

clocker
06-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Really.
I'll give it a go then.

IdolEyes787
06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Really.
I'll give it a go then.

I honestly did but then I'm simple.

clocker
06-29-2012, 02:33 AM
I did not know that Dev Patel was in this, how weird that I just watched him in another idealistic/optimistic project (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel).

As for The Newsroom...well, we'll see.
I'm a sucker for Sorkin at his best- I like erudite, educated, principled people- but it'll take time to see if this cast jells into more than concepts, if I can invest in them as people.
He has Sports Night to live up to, after all.

mjmacky
06-29-2012, 03:19 AM
He has Sports Night to live up to, after all.

In case anyone might get the impression that there's a great new show to get attached to, you remind us it's likely to have a disappointingly premature end.

clocker
06-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't know about that.
I wonder sometimes if beloved series like Sports Night, Firefly or Arrested Development aren't better off for their quick termination rather than slowly dying on the vine like Weeds or Friends.
Of course, it's better if the creators get to determine the fate of their show-The Wire being the classic example, rather than just killing it unexpectedly (like Deadwood), because then you get "closure" but a short run can be a blessing compared to a protracted death.

That's why most sequels are so horribly bad...it's very difficult to recapture the flash that illuminated the original, especially after it's been analyzed to death.

mjmacky
06-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't know about that.
I wonder sometimes if beloved series like Sports Night, Firefly or Arrested Development aren't better off for their quick termination rather than slowly dying on the vine like Weeds or Friends.
Of course, it's better if the creators get to determine the fate of their show-The Wire being the classic example, rather than just killing it unexpectedly (like Deadwood), because then you get "closure" but a short run can be a blessing compared to a protracted death.

That's why most sequels are so horribly bad...it's very difficult to recapture the flash that illuminated the original, especially after it's been analyzed to death.

I'm doubtful, I've never watched watched a show that I absolutely adored turn to rubbish. For those shows, I either get to see them to completion or watch as they are prematurely cancelled. You basically named all my examples in the latter. Two of those have been promising movies for the longest time, we'll see if that ever bears fruit.

clocker
06-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the problem with bringing a show back from a hiatus is that they become self aware, they know they're special.
It's odd how often I read about greatness that went unrecognized till later...perfect example being Fawlty Towers which barely made it to air and struggled to make 12 episodes but was recently voted the best British comedy of all time.

I really have very low expectations of the Arrested Development comeback, I think it'll be a let down like the recent "closure episodes" of AbFab.

LemOnzoo
06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
I enjoyed pilot episode. don't watch drama genre, but this was great. did anyone notice Slumdog Millionare?

IdolEyes787
06-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I enjoyed pilot episode. don't watch drama genre, but this was great. did anyone notice Slumdog Millionare?
Yeah he was standing beside Dumber and the nurse from Shutter Island.

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
ep 2 is released :)

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 11:52 AM
ep 2 is released :)

I just released something in the vicinity of your mum.

clocker
07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
The Kraken?

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
No if I did that I would have written it in capitals to denote hammy acting.

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I just released something in the vicinity of your mum.

F*** you asshole. Get out in the air and try to score something alive.

clocker
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
That response seemed disproportionate to the provocation...I sense BITCHFIGHT!

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I sense bitch who live in his parrents basement ;), and makes 21,132 posts per 4 years.

manker
07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
:eyebrows:

Did someone call.
I've moved out, now. So there.

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
:whistling

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I sense bitch who live in his parrents basement ;), and makes 21,132 posts per 4 years.

It's actually remarkably easy to determine what kind of person one is dealing with. Make one singular off colour remark in the interest of humour and they demonstrate their class and intelligence.
No offense but the truth forced my hand.

As for my parents, unfortunately they are both deceased, so sorry no basement.

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
how can you bee than so childish, if you are older person. very interesting. That kind of trashtalk is fitted for 13-year -olds.

clocker
07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
You'll have to forgive Idol, he's on the Canadian version of rumspringa which involves getting jacked up at Tim Horton's and being rude on the internet.
This used to end when winter stunned them into civility but advances in central heating have prolonged it into middle age.

LemOnzoo
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I think it's second puberty :) or something similar.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
how can you bee than so childish, if you are older person. very interesting. That kind of trashtalk is fitted for 13-year -olds.

With age comes understanding that life is far to short to waste time being serious.

Speaking of understanding , I'm at a loss to understand how anyone so uptight as yourself could possibly have sprung from the loins of someone as sexually open as your mum.

clocker
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Rimshot.
pause.....
Hysterical laughter.
Thank you! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Um, do Tim Horton's even have waitresses?

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Um, do Tim Horton's even have waitresses?

I don't know I don't eat at them so obviously I'm a bad Canadian.

Btw they actually just did a survey or poll or something and salmon is apparently the national food of Canada.

I've never seen anyone order salmon either.

clocker
07-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Interesting, times have changed apparently.
When I lived up there in the seventies the national food was self-loathing.

IdolEyes787
07-02-2012, 09:54 PM
No that was just you projecting.

clocker
07-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Could be, but a little pepper helped.

Anyways, I just watched the second episode and it was...ok.
I'm in for another, see if I get hooked.

My second wife worked for a national nightly news show, so I have more than a passing familiarity with the setting and it's kind of fun to see it fictionalized.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 06:24 AM
...bly have sprung from the loins of someone as sexually open as your mum.

Usualy guys like you who talk lot about sex are gay or virgins (did they make a movie 30 year old virgin based on your life?):whistling

clocker
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
You are out of your league, Liz.

IdolEyes787
07-03-2012, 11:41 AM
...bly have sprung from the loins of someone as sexually open as your mum.

Usualy guys like you who talk lot about sex are gay or virgins (did they make a movie 30 year old virgin based on your life?):whistling

I would have thought you'd show a little more respect to someone who is on a first name basis with your mum's colon.

And exactly the axiom is about people who call other people gay or virgins.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Before you try to have sexual intercorse with someone, get out from your room first

IdolEyes787
07-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Ivan,Ivan,Ivan. This is actually sad the way you've naught an original thought in your head.
Please come back with better material if you truly wish to make an impression.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I think that i posted god pic. Person with a life wouldn't know my real name (i can't find it on my profile, but you can:whistling).

clocker
07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Lemon, the "get a life" meme is really played out...has been for almost a decade.
You're throwing darts at Godzilla here and it's just sad to watch.

If you insist on crashing and burning before an audience, we really deserve a better effort, being connoisseurs of public humiliation and all.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I mentioned somewhere before that english is not my 1st languague. i only know trashtalk from movies.
(Godzilla is not the same as forum Godzilla . Worst think that can happen from WWW godzilla is that i get banned.)
if you want we can argue in my languague.

By the way, you have interresting stuff here. Jerk insulted my mother and nobody reacted. How would look if i mentioned his deceased mother+sexual intercorse in same sentence?

manker
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Lemon, the "get a life" meme is really played out...has been for almost a decade.
You're throwing darts at Godzilla here and it's just sad to watch.

If you insist on crashing and burning before an audience, we really deserve a better effort, being connoisseurs of public humiliation and all.That's exactly the kind of thing a virgin with no life would say.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
That's exactly the kind of thing a virgin with no life would say.

Are you expert?

clocker
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I mentioned somewhere before that english is not my 1st languague.
Sorry, but I didn't comb all of your posts to glean that fact.
I am one lazy, unprepared mofo.

By the way, you have interresting stuff here. Jerk insulted my mother and nobody reacted.
I did react, I sniggered a little.

I'm keeping myself pure till I meet the right furry.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm keeping myself pure till I meet the right furry.me and idoleyes too :)

manker
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm keeping myself pure till I meet the right furry.You're so finicky.
I wasn't even aware that there were furries unsuitable for that kind of thing.

clocker
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
One has standards.

IdolEyes787
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I mentioned somewhere before that english is not my 1st languague. i only know trashtalk from movies.
(Godzilla is not the same as forum Godzilla . Worst think that can happen from WWW godzilla is that i get banned.)
if you want we can argue in my languague.

By the way, you have interresting stuff here. Jerk insulted my mother and nobody reacted. How would look if i mentioned his deceased mother+sexual intercorse in same sentence?

No I complimented your mother.If I had wanted to insulted her I would have said that her vagina smelled like 3 day old tuna and I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

Begin argument in Lem0nzoo's language..... mumble....mumble..... virgin...... mumble... mumble.

LemOnzoo
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
No I complimented your mother.If I had wanted to insulted her I would have said that her vagina smelled like 3 day old tuna and I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

Begin argument in Lem0nzoo's language..... mumble....mumble..... virgin...... mumble... mumble.

It needs one to recognize one.

mjmacky
07-03-2012, 10:51 PM
It needs one to recognize one.

I'm pretty sure a cock can find a vagina without being a pussy.

clocker
07-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey, now.
That sort of talk belongs in PhilosophyWorld.

LemOnzoo
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
2nd episode is very good. i gigled when jeff trow down cellular.

clocker
07-07-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't know.
When the plot is driven by media professionals screwing up emails, I'm a little leery (Not a "little Leary" which would imply that I'm related to Dennis Leary, which I absolutely am not*).

*This last little interjection is just for you Lemonzoo, I'm helping with your engrish skills.
That whole confusing/conflating "leery" and "Leary" is a long established and always hilarious quirk of the language where two distinct words sound exactly the same even though they mean different things.
I know, crazy, right?
I can assure you that every native english speaker is just now recovering their wits, having been rendered helpless with laughter.
We are a fun loving, quite freely witty society and the sooner you submit to our will, the sooner you'll appreciate it.

mjmacky
07-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Hey, now.
That sort of talk belongs in PhilosophyWorld.

It's a thread killer, I know.

clocker
07-07-2012, 04:54 AM
OK, let's call it then.
Official time of death is 22:53.

Anyone else need a drink?

mjmacky
07-07-2012, 05:20 AM
OK, let's call it then.
Official time of death is 22:53.

Anyone else need a drink?

You've been spending too much time among the p2p minions, how about pure lustful desire of the CH3CH2OH?

IdolEyes787
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
2nd episode is very good. i gigled when jeff trow down cellular.

The second episode was certainly weaker than the first although I guess that is sort of to be expected.

The main "problem" was that it didn't really expand any of the burgeoning relationships and chose instead to hang the entire episode on a cheap plot contrivance.

The cell phone throwing was good though.

clocker
07-07-2012, 10:56 PM
The cell phone throwing was good though.
That's now two people on whom the "phone throw" made an impression, I barely noticed it and it certainly wouldn't make my highlight reel.
Did that make him "cool" or "hip" to "stick it to the man" by abusing ubiquitous/disposable technology...was it a visual metaphor for the triumph of "spirit, man" over "corporate fat cats"?
Did he throw it ironically or was it a spontaneous expression of the horror a modern man faces in an overly mechanized world?

Or maybe it was something rarer, that revealing moment where Jeff Daniels realized he would never master Angry Birds, the core philosophy of Minecraft would forever elude him and his inbox was infected and sending stock tips to his closest friends.

This requires frame by frame analysis.
Somebody get on that.

IdolEyes787
07-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I dunno about the other guy but I just liked the violence.:unsure:
If was directing the scene though I would have had him first sit on a whoopee cushion to make it funnierer.

clocker
07-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I you directed the scene Rob Schneider would have made a cameo, amirite?
He could have played the part of the whoopie cushion and probably fucking nailed it.

IdolEyes787
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I still don't understand why he didn't get at least a nomination for The Animal.
I mean come on people , not only did he have to play a man but also mimic the actions of various animals.

That was probably his greatest moment as an actor is you discount that racist portrayal of an Asian man in some Adam Sandler film that I am trying to forget.

mjmacky
07-08-2012, 12:34 AM
That was probably his greatest moment as an actor is you discount that racist portrayal of an Asian man in some Adam Sandler film that I am trying to forget.

What about when he was a 14 year old Japanese girl, did that ever happen? I really, really need to know.

Artemis
07-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I still don't understand why he didn't get at least a nomination for The Animal.
I mean come on people , not only did he have to play a man but also mimic the actions of various animals.

There was also his racist portrayal of a Cajun man in Waterboy another Adam Sandler film you are trying to forget. :blink:

clocker
07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
All this talk of racism leads to the question, "Can one species be racist towards another?"
Can a dog truly be racist, can a rose?

Surely, you see where this is going.

IdolEyes787
07-08-2012, 01:18 AM
All this talk of racism leads to the question, "Can one species be racist towards another?"

Surely, you see where this is going.
I can only speak for myself but hopefully someplace really racist.

mjmacky
07-08-2012, 01:49 AM
"Can one species be racist towards another?"

Of course, why else would they start wars?

clocker
07-08-2012, 05:47 AM
You'd think I'd remember a great canine/flower battle.
I on the other hand, am not the least surprised.

mjmacky
07-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I actually meant the in-fighting. You know, how like some roses go to war other roses due to a gap in discontent over other species. Stuff like that, I think it's like reductive history or something.

Moving on, I finally found myself investing some time into this series. I'm instantly in love with it. I was grabbing a sense that they weren't paying enough attention to the interpersonal relationships between the character from what I remember reading here, but I found the opposite to be true. They may not have progressed them very far, but I think I'd be disappointed if they did by ep 2.

clocker
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
After this last episode I'm afraid The Newsroom is beginning to lose me.

One of the criticisms leveled by advance previewers was that by setting the show in 2010, Sorkin had the advantage of hindsight and it was easy to be properly aghast at events that were more muddled in real time. The takeover of the GOP by the "grassroots" Tea Party is just such low hanging fruit, much simpler to spot today than 2-3 years ago as the Tea Party was just coalescing.
I'd like to see them try to be so incisive and correct about scenarios happening in real time. If the news is really about educating voters (something the characters have asserted a couple of times already), then why not own your bully pulpit and educate with current events?

They completely squandered Jane Fonda last night. She was a mere silhouette for the first half of the show and then was used to set up a crumby Jesus/Moses joke in the second half.
The scenes with Fonda and Waterston should have been electric, instead he continues with the loopy Yoda and she tries for "tough broad" (a take that either Christine Baranski or Maggie Smith could have nailed while sleeping).

I've started watching The Good Wife and think it's more enjoyable and less strident.

mjmacky
07-10-2012, 01:04 AM
One of the criticisms leveled by advance previewers was that by setting the show in 2010, Sorkin had the advantage of hindsight and it was easy to be properly aghast at events that were more muddled in real time. The takeover of the GOP by the "grassroots" Tea Party is just such low hanging fruit, much simpler to spot today than 2-3 years ago as the Tea Party was just coalescing.
I'd like to see them try to be so incisive and correct about scenarios happening in real time. If the news is really about educating voters (something the characters have asserted a couple of times already), then why not own your bully pulpit and educate with current events?

I don't know, that all seemed obvious to me at the time but the sensationalism was too wildly embraced for most to realize what was actually happening. If one is trying to make a point, wouldn't it be more effective to use a recent history where memory of the self and clairvoyance can both come into play?

IdolEyes787
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
After this last episode I'm afraid The Newsroom is beginning to lose me.

They completely squandered Jane Fonda last night. She was a mere silhouette for the first half of the show and then was used to set up a crumby Jesus/Moses joke in the second half.
The scenes with Fonda and Waterston should have been electric, instead he continues with the loopy Yoda and she tries for "tough broad" (a take that either Christine Baranski or Maggie Smith could have nailed while sleeping).

I've started watching The Good Wife and think it's more enjoyable and less strident.

I have to agree. That last episode just came off as Sorkin showing his agenda and being "historical" having very little real point.

mjmacky
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm having a hard time imaging the 3rd episode was all that different than the first 2. I'll come back and tell you all why you're wrong when I watch it.

clocker
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
It's not practicing what it preaches, that's The Newsroom's problem.
A fleeting reference to Michelle Bachmann -referred to as merely "a hairdo"- proves the point.
No one disputes that she's a self-aggrandizing waste of carbon but the obvious (and more important) next question is not asked, namely, how does she continue to retain office?
Who is voting for this shameful excuse for representation and what does that say about her constituency?

All of the idiot blowhards we've seen in the past year of the Republican runoffs- remember Herman Cain and Rick Perry?- are still around and still popular...who supports these people?

Just pointing and laughing, which is all that The Newsroom has done so far, is too easy and has already been done.
Let's see Sorkin get all Biblical on more worthy opponents like Norquist or Rove, two people smart enough to realize that getting elected is actually an impediment to controlling the masses.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:38 PM
The mention of Norquist was much less fleeting than the passing of the Bachmann reference. So that kind of seems a bit contradictory. As for everything else, isn't it still a little early to conclude the direction the show is taking?

It's not like every news media outlet had succumbed to the sensationalized nature that has swept that industry, just all of the major ones run by profit motive corporations. They are just now introducing the crux of the problem with the Koch brothers thing. The question to address is, how to continue the type of programming they want to achieve when the overlord isn't on board? News media had to have gone through these same predicaments and went with the poorer decision (e.g. Iraq pre war coverage relaxation in exchange for easing of FCC regulation). Major news is still brought to us by media conglomerates that answer to shareholders, I'd like to see how they address their stance on the show before I write it off. If Fonda just simply subscribes to the ideal, then I would find myself disenfranchised since I'm looking for something a bit more realistic.

IdolEyes787
07-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I think Clocker was mainly talking about how setting things in the past purely to hammer home already well established points comes off more as whining than enlightening.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Setting it in the past is the reason I'm looking from a different point of view. The atmosphere was poisoned by capitalism, what could have been done about it? What difference would it have made? If they continue working with real events, how will this dogma coexist with reality, or do they all come to a realization that it's pointless and # of viewers dictates everything? Also, they've progressed time rather quickly in the show (5 months in 3 episodes?), so a lot of speculation could be undone depending on the setting pace they keep. So with that said, I think still too early.

As you can see, my opinion is that the show has a lot of potential, additionally it has a lot of opportunities to disappoint me, but it hasn't yet. For the same reason, not enough has really happened. My favorite line was, that makes her literally a brain surgeon or something to that effect.

IdolEyes787
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 and anyway besides the fact that my head isn't quite so thick yet as things don't require to be driven home with a sledgehammer and as I couldn't really care less about politics my main current concern is when/if that Olivia Munn chick is going to show some skin or not.

clocker
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I think Clocker was mainly talking about how setting things in the past purely to hammer home already well established points comes off more as whining than enlightening.
More or less, yes.

Let's see Sorkin address some more timely issues...The SEC's continued inaction in the face of ever more egregious bank industry crime, a Presidential contender with massive secret offshore holdings, an ongoing war with no hope of successful resolution (and no definition of what "success" might even be).
Let's see him sight on some fluid, moving targets and see how good he is.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 and anyway besides the fact that my head isn't quite so thick yet as things don't require to be driven home with a sledgehammer and as I couldn't really care less about politics my main current concern is when/if that Olivia Munn chick is going to show some skin or not.

She shows her tits in some recent male stripper movie. A heavy price to pay if you ask me.

IdolEyes787
07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
If you mean that Magic Mike thing ,my first thought when I heard of it is was "Why would someone go out of their way to make a movie that no straight male would ever want to see?"

Clearly not a date movie so what are the demographics? Drunken groups of women under 25?

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM
If you mean that Magic Mike thing ,my first thought when I heard of it is was "Why would someone go out of their way to make a movie that no straight male would ever want to see?"

Clearly not a date movie so what are the demographics? Drunken groups of women under 25?

Through the channels from which I heard about it, a gaggle of 30-something female school teachers.

IdolEyes787
07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I assume that is how they get all sexed up to the point of needing to sleep with their 14 year old students.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I assume that is how they get all sexed up to the point of needing to sleep with their 14 year old students.

That's one position, the other is that they feel like prostitutes get a fairer deal, meth, abusive pimp, and all.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 08:53 PM
In other news, my mom recently swore off fox news. It's some type of progress, so the show must be doing something right. Not that she watches newsroom.

clocker
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Got halfway through the 4th episode, realized I was bored shitless and have officially stopped caring about The Newsroom.
The characters all seem to be stuck at about junior high school level, not a real adult to be found.

Too bad.

IdolEyes787
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Got halfway through the 4th episode, realized I was bored shitless and have officially stopped caring about The Newsroom.
The characters all seem to be stuck at about junior high school level, not a real adult to be found.

Too bad.

(I thought) There was considerable payoff in the third act as we come to learn that a lot of strings were being pulled.

Also I think they are going for Tracey/Hepburn with the main characters but the problem is that they are also going the same route with the secondary ones.

clocker
07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Oh god, does this mean I have to finish it?

I guess my complaint du jour is how convenient the secondary characters are...
McAvoy is complaining about lax SEC oversight and BAM!, the producers boyfriend is a SEC lawyer.
McAvoy rants about gun laws/lies and HARK! his next date has a gun in her purse.

I don't doubt that if he bitches about computers, one of the staff will turn out to be a Bishop.

The Good Wife is a million times better, any one of its supporting characters is more fully developed and interesting than the leads of The Newsroom.

IdolEyes787
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh god, does this mean I have to finish it?

No.

clocker
07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I'm going to anyway.

IdolEyes787
07-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Sort of pointless to have asked my permission not to then wasn't it?

manker
07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Note to Mary:
If the clockster had followed my lead in foregoing question marks when employing rhetoric, then Idol wouldn't have pursed his lips and clutched his handbag.

I tell you all; It's the way of the future.

mjmacky
07-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Episode 04
I'm mixed, and I almost felt the show slipping away from me around the middle, despite the kind of resonant summary about meeting new women, but it wrapped up nicely. Here's where I'm mixed. I don't know if I'm actually supposed to feel impressed by the "news program" they put on. Their broadcast begins to increasingly resemble airings of the Daily Show, with the jokes removed and a bit of the sarcasm retained. The episode, and overall the show, strongly follows the relationships between the characters but draws it out. I think I'm sort of getting to appreciate that for one reason. The revelation and mingling with the unseen plot really paid off, and the way the show drops off all of the interpersonal drama really injects excitement into the breaking news scenario with which they finished. It's definitely enough to keep me watching, I've seen enough shows where I wobble back and forth with my judgment just to find myself enjoying it at the end.

With that, I'll avoid any further speculation and takes on the show unless I really start to hate it and drop it, in which case I'll come in here and rant like a grumpy bastard and tell everyone what else they should be watching.

P.S. Not a dig on clocker, I do do that. That is, telling people what would be better for them. What, did you think you had a patent on it or something?

P.P.S. Yes, misshapen rhetorical.

clocker
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
So, apparently Aaron Sorkin has fired the entire writing staff (save an ex-girlfriend) and will regroup for season two (show has already been renewed).
Seems like a weird deal to me because Sorkin claims most of the writing credits and minimizes the contributions of the staff, so why are they axed if he's unhappy with the show?
I imagine that most of season one is either already filmed or fairly locked in already, it'll be interesting to see the product that lead to this mass extinction.

On a side note, I watched the first ep of Political Animals and it was wretched.

mjmacky
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
On a side note, I watched the first ep of Political Animals and it was wretched.

I felt that way after seeing one clip.

clocker
07-24-2012, 01:55 AM
The latest ep has not given me hope for The Newsroom, the middleschool romantic entanglements continue to drag the show down.
Really, no one takes Valentine's Day seriously once past ninth grade.

As for Political Animals, well, it wasn't as overwrought as the first show but still not very good.

clocker
08-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Political Animals continues to suck, unless the drug addicted gay son is beheaded in the next episode, I'm done.

The Newsroom also continues to disappoint, if there must be irrelevant substories, at least get your details correct.
Last night's ep had McAvoy supposedly eating two high grade weed cookies AND downing a Vicodin.
I don't care how high a tolerance you think you have, that combination would lay out a rhino, not just make it hard to tie a Windsor knot.
I don't know what the point was, he ultimately performed well and there don't seem to be any aftereffects, so why was it featured in such a serious topic show?

And of course, the girlfriend we have never seen all season shows up just in time to reveal that her father was in the towers on 9/11.
Because, even a decade later, every single New Yorker was personally related to a victim.
That's just how it has to be.

To balance out the crap, Breaking Bad remains a superior product...it just gets better.
So there's that.