PDA

View Full Version : The damned swiss.

Quarterquack
07-08-2012, 10:10 PM
So I've been trying to make a getaway from Canadaland. It just feels like I've been on a circular track for so long, and I'm ready to make a run for a finish line elsewhere.

Anyway, the point of the story is I've applied to a handful of private and government labs in Japan, and yet every offer I get for prostituting my mind out there seems to be Swiss. I'd pick up on an offer if I didn't think that the European standard for scientific exploration is the grown-up equivalent of a nursery class enjoying LEGO day with hand-made paper shreds instead.

I always like to turn offers down with gentle humor, so that perhaps in the future I could remain an outsourcing consultant, but the Swiss seem to take it as an invitation to talk up the benefits of being situated exactly where their tuchuses lie in the space-time continuum.

Over the last few days I've heard tales of Swiss watches and their inspiration for the Japanese atomic bomb sights. I've learnt that Swiss actually take the Tom and Jerry level joke of swiss cheese imagery as a sort of national pride in the international cartoon industry. I've been introduced to Leatherman's competition as family run diamond-grade underpinnings of the hardware industry with Swiss business prowess going hand-in-hand as the next big industrial hope of weapon inspiration. I've been inundated with catch phrase upon catch phrase of how many patents the average person holds, how many people can boast about scaling the alps, the apparently highly misunderstood security of their bank accounts, being at the forefront of physics research, freedom's association with fending off gun laws and many other interesting facts that I have now given up trying to recall.

The damned swiss. Their life actually seems interesting. Now how does a country that has a population less than a third of Canada's manage such accomplishment?

manker
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
The damned swiss. Their life actually seems interesting. Now how does a country that has a population less than a third of Canada's manage such accomplishment?Nazi gold.

And yes, I agree. Federer was just too good for Andy Murray - but losing to the greatest ever grass-court player isn't such a bad thing.
I just wish Murray didn't cry like a big girl at the end.

Quarterquack
07-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I can't take you seriously if you truly believe Federer is the all-time greatest grass court player.

OlegL
07-08-2012, 10:45 PM
OP, you applied for a job? What kind of job?

IdolEyes787
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I can't take you seriously if you truly believe Federer is the all-time greatest grass court player.

We can be grateful he didn't say Pete Sampras.

Anyway I would find it hard to believe if a country wasn't more interesting than Canada.

Remember our favourite food is Timbits,our greatest athlete is Wayne Gretzky, we have Stephen Harper as a leader and the current face we show to the World is this asshole (http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/06/justin-bieber-freeway-chase-speeding-paparazzi-l-a-city-councilman-dennis-zine/).

Artemis
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
What the fuck is Timbits? :blink:

manker
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
I can't take you seriously if you truly believe Federer is the all-time greatest grass court player.It isn't indisputable, but it should be.

There are a few others worthy of honourable mention; Borg, McEnroe and ... nah, that's it.
But Mister Federer is the best.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I can't take you seriously if you truly believe Federer is the all-time greatest grass court player.It isn't indisputable, but it should be.

There are a few others worthy of honourable mention; Borg, McEnroe and ... nah, that's it.

Best smest.McEnroe was an artist and after that everything else is rather irrelevant.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
What the fuck is Timbits? :blink:

It's like food but not really.

Artemis
07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Gee that was helpful. :idunno:

manker
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
It isn't indisputable, but it should be.

Best smest.McEnroe was an artist and after that everything else is rather irrelevant.Art, schmart.
Honestly, I never saw him play live so you may be in a better position to judge than I am. But from what I've seen of him on the vids, Federer is a better exponent of grass court tennis.

Barbarossa
07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Becker was pretty good until he got distracted by shagging people in cupboards...

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Thread summary:
1 - something
11 - tennis
1 - meta

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Think of gourmet doughnuts. Glazing, flavoring, sprinkles et cetera.
Now strip them of all the quality flavor on the inside and absolutely make sure they taste like a piece of watered bread.
Now make them the size and shape (and arguably texture) of a racquetball.
Sell them for 3.99 a 10-piece in many convenient locations all over canada.
You have arrived at Timbits.

Basically the reinvention of truffles in unimaginative, dough-laden manners.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Think of gourmet doughnuts. Glazing, flavoring, sprinkles et cetera.
Now strip them of all the quality flavor on the inside and absolutely make sure they taste like a piece of watered bread.

I believe you're trying to describe a bagel.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 03:58 PM
But from what I've seen of him on the vids, Federer is a better exponent of grass court tennis.

Federer played at a time when all but half a player had lost all game sense. Maintaining composure and playing a ball control game isn't difficult when there's no pressure. Arguably the only players that could give him a consistent run for his money were Nadal and Djokovic. He was only assumed to be a great grass player because Nadal was king of clay, but once you recognize how many matches Federer lost to Nadal on the regular (especially regardless of ground, considering Nadal himself attests to the fact that his awarding of clay grandmaster is unearned given he has more grass wins) you start to see Federer's game for what it really is.

If Federer were to play at a time with as many stars as McEnroe was subjected to throughout his career, he wouldn't have won a third of the titles he has, most probably. McEnroe had to deal with monsters like Lendl, Connors, Borg, Becker, and Wilander. Discounting all of these as well, Agassi, Sampras, Laver, and the ever-conversationally-absent Edberg and Courier - there's not a single doubt in my mind that they could all make Federer's records look childish if they could each run solo with a playing field as easy as his.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 04:08 PM

I'm yet to see a bagel made with anything but butter and/or jam.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM

I'm yet to see a bagel made with anything but butter and/or jam.

Have Oleg take you out to get a real bagel before he beats you to death, but after he loses his virginity in your cavernous mangina.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Have Oleg take you out to get a real bagel before he beats you to death, but after he loses his virginity in your cavernous mangina.

I will spend the rest of my day completely satisfied that you think of me in such a way.
I believe I have transcended the attempts of all the women on your petty dating sites, as you don't come to see them in such an animalistic sex-starved fashion.

When you have lunch today, please imagine eating it off my naked body.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 04:19 PM
When you have lunch today, please imagine eating it off my naked body.

I'll do that when I toss the rest of my lunch into the Bingham Canyon Mine.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
But from what I've seen of him on the vids, Federer is a better exponent of grass court tennis.

Federer played at a time when all but half a player had lost all game sense. Maintaining composure and playing a ball control game isn't difficult when there's no pressure. Arguably the only players that could give him a consistent run for his money were Nadal and Djokovic. He was only assumed to be a great grass player because Nadal was king of clay, but once you recognize how many matches Federer lost to Nadal on the regular (especially regardless of ground, considering Nadal himself attests to the fact that his awarding of clay grandmaster is unearned given he has more grass wins) you start to see Federer's game for what it really is.

If Federer were to play at a time with as many stars as McEnroe was subjected to throughout his career, he wouldn't have won a third of the titles he has, most probably. McEnroe had to deal with monsters like Lendl, Connors, Borg, Becker, and Wilander. Discounting all of these as well, Agassi, Sampras, Laver, and the ever-conversationally-absent Edberg and Courier - there's not a single doubt in my mind that they could all make Federer's records look childish if they could each run solo with a playing field as easy as his.

Personally I don't really care just as long as it isn't one of those serve/ (maybe) volley /point over or Agassi human backboard dickheads.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Cursed to feel nothing but disgust at the thought of sex with me? If you think all the pity these fora have bestowed upon has been unearned in the past, that's not an issue anymore.

:no:

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Personally I don't really care just as long as it isn't one of those serve/ (maybe) volley /point over or Agassi human backboard dickheads.

As long as we keep Courier out of the pointing direction, I think we can still be friends.

manker
07-09-2012, 04:31 PM

If Federer were to play at a time with as many stars as McEnroe was subjected to throughout his career, he wouldn't have won a third of the titles he has, most probably. McEnroe had to deal with monsters like Lendl, Connors, Borg, Becker, and Wilander. Discounting all of these as well, Agassi, Sampras, Laver, and the ever-conversationally-absent Edberg and Courier - there's not a single doubt in my mind that they could all make Federer's records look childish if they could each run solo with a playing field as easy as his.What the hell are you talking about. This current era of tennis is widely accepted as being of the highest standard, personnel wise, ever.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Federer is still playing. He won something recently, iirc. He's 30 and while that's not really all that old, it is when you've got younger antagonists like Djokovic and Nadal to contend with. Federer has had one of those two competing for his number one slot for at least eight years (Nadal is 26). I don't know if you missed the 2008 Wimbledon final but if you think that's playing a ball control game with no pressure, then I contend that perhaps you had inadvertently flicked onto the re-run of the ladies final that year. If there is something that Nadal applies on every surface to every opponent, it's pressure. It's what he does and what he has always done better than anyone else I've ever seen.

While the skills of the people you mention, definitely not including Courier (what? :lol:), Lendl, Connors, Becker, Wilander (teh fook) and most certainly not Edberg, are indeed of a particularly high standard, a level of fitness to match Federer's to go with their undoubted finesse wasn't present in any of these professional sportsmen.
He'd have killed them all and bagel'd the tiny Laver.

Of course, if any of those players were around today, with the better racquets and more vigorous training regimes, maybe they would have come close to his level of play when he was at his peak in 2007. However, there is uncertainty there as perhaps none of those individuals would have been able to hone their physical condition to approach the level needed just to last three sets at today's pace.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Cursed to feel nothing but disgust at the thought of sex with me? If you think all the pity these fora have bestowed upon has been unearned in the past, that's not an issue anymore.

:no:

What? It was a mental analogy, not a response to disgust. I may boast about my size, but I feel like I don't have to fear anything if I were to pork you as I doubt my dick tissue will make contact with anything other than bowel air. Plus this is all rooted from the orgy references.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM

As long as we keep Courier out of the pointing direction, I think we can still be friends.

The fact that he will be best remembered for always wearing a hat sort of says everything necessary.

IdolEyes787
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Also can we please stop this and move on to comparing apples and oranges.

Apples rule btw.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Also can we please stop this and move on to comparing apples and oranges.

Apples rule btw.

That's totally bananas.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 05:08 PM
What the hell are you talking about. This current era of tennis is widely accepted as being of the highest standard, personnel wise, ever.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Federer is still playing. He won something recently, iirc. He's 30 and while that's not really all that old, it is when you've got younger antagonists like Djokovic and Nadal to contend with. Federer has had one of those two competing for his number one slot for at least eight years (Nadal is 26). I don't know if you missed the 2008 Wimbledon final but if you think that's playing a ball control game with no pressure, then I contend that perhaps you had inadvertently flicked onto the re-run of the ladies final that year. If there is something that Nadal applies on every surface to every opponent, it's pressure. It's what he does and what he has always done better than anyone else I've ever seen.

While the skills of the people you mention, definitely not including Courier (what? :lol:), Lendl, Connors, Becker, Wilander (teh fook) and most certainly not Edberg, are indeed of a particularly high standard, a level of fitness to match Federer's to go with their undoubted finesse wasn't present in any of these professional sportsmen.

Of course, if any of those players were around today, with the better racquets and more vigorous training regimes, maybe they would have come close to his level of play when he was at his peak in 2007. However, there is uncertainty there as perhaps none of those individuals would have been able to hone their physical condition to approach the level needed just to last three sets at today's pace.

It is widely regarded as such by morons. Federer doesn't have an absence of contention because he's thoroughly outclassed everyone. It's simply because the game in today's world simply won't allow for personal styles to dominate the court. It's turned everyone into a staple of the average tennis playstyle. Slice serves, net heavy play and repetitive volleys have been substituted for clinical accuracy, ungodly endurance and an annoyingly mundane positioning game - it's no surprise that the most exciting rallies are the ones where the player forgets to return to center position. It's becoming a streamlined algorithm of play.

The fact that you discount Courier from being considered a great player is one of my pet peeves. As much as I'd like to write you an essay about why he deserves his name on that list, or his successful prediction of the technical meta game, or why he secretly was successful at what few other tennis players could lay claim to when it came to adversity, I'll just ease up and say "Meh, opinions". He does hold a special place in my heart, like. Of all the players I used to try and emulate when I took tennis very seriously, it as Courier who I always found a favorite in.

Either way Idol's apples and oranges analogy is correct in one regard. Arguing about Maradona's potential dominance today's football scene is just as pointless.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Jack Dempsey would knock Courier the fuck out.

megabyteme
07-09-2012, 09:49 PM
This thread is :ghey:.

manker
07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
What the hell are you talking about. This current era of tennis is widely accepted as being of the highest standard, personnel wise, ever.

It is widely regarded as such by morons. Federer doesn't have an absence of contention because he's thoroughly outclassed everyone. It's simply because the game in today's world simply won't allow for personal styles to dominate the court. It's turned everyone into a staple of the average tennis playstyle. Slice serves, net heavy play and repetitive volleys have been substituted for clinical accuracy, ungodly endurance and an annoyingly mundane positioning game - it's no surprise that the most exciting rallies are the ones where the player forgets to return to center position. It's becoming a streamlined algorithm of play.

The fact that you discount Courier from being considered a great player is one of my pet peeves. As much as I'd like to write you an essay about why he deserves his name on that list, or his successful prediction of the technical meta game, or why he secretly was successful at what few other tennis players could lay claim to when it came to adversity, I'll just ease up and say "Meh, opinions". He does hold a special place in my heart, like. Of all the players I used to try and emulate when I took tennis very seriously, it as Courier who I always found a favorite in.

Either way Idol's apples and oranges analogy is correct in one regard. Arguing about Maradona's potential dominance today's football scene is just as pointless.Not really, there isn't and has never been a debate about that. Maradonna would be fantastic in today's game.

I want to hear why you think Courier is great because he simply wasn't. An essay on this would be an amazing thing to behold.
He was basically the fourth most talented player in the US at the time. I'm even putting him after Chang because, let's face it, if he was six inches taller, he'd have murdered Courier. There's no point even comparing Courier to Agassi and Sampras - especially on grass, which is what I'm talking about.

It's fascinating to see you say that attributes which contribute a great deal to a player's effectiveness, such as endurance, tactical nous and accuracy, are to the detriment of the regard in which you hold a player. It's these very things which mean that they are better tennis players.
Federer's endurance (the guy hardly sweats), his unerring accuracy (surely no-one in the history of tennis has pinged more backhands on the run and hit the line) and his positioning (you rarely see him scrabble) all point toward him being the greatest grass court player ever.

Nobody could do all the things he can do. His metronomic consistency means that he is a better tennis player than the more mercurial talents you champion.
It's basically just Borg who I think could compete with these guys.

I mean, if we're talking decent stuff to watch, then amongst contemporary players, I'd prefer a match up between, say, Tipsarevic and Warwinka. They play some lovely touch stuff.
But we're not, we're talking about the greatest (read; best) ever grass court player. And that is Federer.

I'm not sure it's just morons who believe that the current crop is the best ever. I've never actually heard anyone else describe Jim Courier as great, though.
Perhaps it's all those morons who are wrong.

chalice
07-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Federer is the best ever. Statistical and aesthetic fact. Shut the fuck up.

mjmacky
07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Federer is the best ever. Statistical and aesthetic fact. Shut the fuck up.

Jack Dempsey would knock Federer the fuck out.

Barbarossa
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
McEnroe was pretty good. Also Jimmy Connors, and I always used to cheer for Henri LeConte, even though he was French, and a "Conte" ... :)

IdolEyes787
07-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Federer is the best ever. Statistical and aesthetic fact. Although clearly Federer doesn't have near the repertory of shots that McEnroe did.McEnroe was an artiste liek. Shut the fuck up.

Clearly you follow tennis and I approve of this post.

Also Nadal is merely Jimmy Connors lite.
Maybe if he abused the umpires more.

Anyway Arthur Ashe was the best and I defy anyone who isn't a racist to say otherwise.

Squeamous
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM

It doesn't matter. It's distracting me from the horrible cold ball of dread in the pit of my stomach that DarthofHumility's revelation has lurched into place. I'm not entirely sure I have this right but either Switzerland have annexed part of Japan, in which case the world is way more fucked up than I thought, or it's unsuccessfully trying to coax The Humble One to the motherland. If it doesn't succeed this could put Europe decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. It doesn't bear thinking about.

manker
07-10-2012, 05:04 PM

It doesn't matter. It's distracting me from the horrible cold ball of dread in the pit of my stomach that DarthofHumility's revelation has lurched into place. I'm not entirely sure I have this right but either Switzerland have annexed part of Japan, in which case the world is way more fucked up than I thought, or it's unsuccessfully trying to coax The Humble One to the motherland. If it doesn't succeed this could put Europe decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. It doesn't bear thinking about.
Wut. This thread is about how Federer's hair is still pretty cool even after 5 sets of sheer hell while wearing a sweatband.

Squeamous
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
What is a Federer? Do you mean Fedora? And why would a hat have hair and a sweatband?

manker
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll post some pics.
Chavois seems to think he's dreamy, I think he's got a bit of a squishy face but has decent hair.

118612<during game --- hair afterwards>118613

Quarterquack
07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
If it doesn't succeed this could put Europe decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. It doesn't bear thinking about.

What a silly fear. Europe is already decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. In fact, losing me is going to make them break the centennial mark.

P.S. Will be back with that essay. And fashion tips for Federer.

Squeamous
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
If it doesn't succeed this could put Europe decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. It doesn't bear thinking about.

What a silly fear. Europe is already decades behind the rest of the world in terms of scientific endeavour. In fact, losing me is going to make them break the centennial mark.

P.S. Will be back with that essay. And fashion tips for Federer.

I liked it when America decided it was morally ok to work on stem cells. That was a good day.

Squeamous
07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I'll post some pics.
Chavois seems to think he's dreamy, I think he's got a bit of a squishy face but has decent hair.

118612<during game --- hair afterwards>118613

:ghey:

Quarterquack
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I liked it when America decided it was morally ok to work on stem cells. That was a good day.

Now you're just going for shock factor. I'm not going to let you troll me. :snooty:

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Now you're just going for shock factor. I'm not going to let you troll me. :snooty:

Because America's ridiculous religious posturing never holds back the course of scientific discovery does it? Fortunately we in Europe had something called the Renaissance to pull us out of the dark ages. That was the equivalent of Obama btw.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
The religious posturing in America holds back many more things to a greater effect than scientific discovery.

Quarterquack
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Because America's ridiculous religious posturing never holds back the course of scientific discovery does it? Fortunately we in Europe had something called the Renaissance to pull us out of the dark ages. That was the equivalent of Obama btw.

You do know I'm Canadian, correct?
Stem Cell research is A.O.K. here as long as they're not embryonically sourced, even post a.insemination.

manker
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure Squeams doesn't care which province of America you're from.

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 09:52 AM
:lol:

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
The religious posturing in America holds back many more things to a greater effect than scientific discovery.

:yup:

:smilie4:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Very northern Michigan, which is near Detroit, so he's pretty street tough. Just a warning to Oleg that is.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Oleg doesn't give a fuck. He's currently engaging mbm, replete with his arsenal of motorbikes, shuriken and 88mm tank destroying weaponry.

A fiesty ginger American won't phase him.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Oleg doesn't give a fuck. He's currently engaging mbm, replete with his arsenal of motorbikes, shuriken and 88mm tank destroying weaponry.

What good would distance weaponry be when he's already got you down on the ground and pounding your face? Except for attack dogs, attack dogs would be useful.

manker
07-12-2012, 11:32 AM

What good would distance weaponry be when he's already got you down on the ground and pounding your face? Except for attack dogs, attack dogs would be useful.I'd be still writing if I was to detail all of mbm's arsenal.

He's obviously got close quarter weaponry, too. For example, he wears a variety of ladies' handguns linked together with the gift of fishing line around his neck.
All fully loaded in case of attack.

Oleg's going to have to use all of his Jew skills to overcome this foe.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Does MBM stand a chance against the Serbian Jew double bluff?

manker
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Does MBM stand a chance against the Serbian Jew double bluff?I wouldn't say so.
Any Jews of Serbian origin and of sneaky predilection are just going to have to hope that mbm somehow ensnares himself in one of the numerous man-traps embedded around the bunker he lovingly calls home.

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 06:54 AM
You've already given away too many secrets of the fortress, manker. :ermm:

However, I'll add that for close-quarter ground attacks, I've got two attack-trained Pembroke Welsh Corgis. You don't get much closer to the ground than that. Perimeter is secure. :cool:

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 06:55 AM
As for the Jewish special maneuver, stealing my wallet will prove ineffective as I am married...

Artemis
07-13-2012, 09:33 AM
What good would distance weaponry be when he's already got you down on the ground and pounding your face? Except for attack dogs, attack dogs would be useful.I'd be still writing if I was to detail all of mbm's arsenal.

He's obviously got close quarter weaponry, too. For example, he wears a variety of ladies' handguns linked together with the gift of fishing line around his neck.

There's also the shotgun, unfortunately he gave it to his wife for home defence, so the recipient of the blast is anyone's guess? :blink:

manker
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd be still writing if I was to detail all of mbm's arsenal.

There's also the shotgun, unfortunately he gave it to his wife for home defence, so the recipient of the blast is anyone's guess? :blink:
Don't forget the laser helmets he's equipped the toddlers with.

They're each kept in their own paddock to eliminate most mishaps but accidents do happen.
However, eviscerated corgis are a small price to pay for a secure home :smilie4:

Hesus
07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
So you're not just nasty wankers, you're anti-semetic nasty wankers.

That has to be a new low in the history of FST.

Artemis
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
:dave: where have you been all my life :wub:

manker
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Squeamous
07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
:lol:

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

WeakWeek, Dave, weak week...