PDA

View Full Version : This forum sucks on my phone or tablet, bitching thread.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Actually, I'm not one to bitch, but I've made the last 40 or do posts from my phone. It would have been intolerable in a browser, but I actually bought the Tapatalk app, and it's pretty fucking amazing.

Now I can see what you fucks are up to when I take cigarette breaks during my bike rides.

manker
07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I also installed Tapatalk and used it earlier whilst occupying the shitter.
Couldn't really work out what to do as it was completely different from a regular browser so I decided that Tapatalk sucks bawls.

And it probably does :smilie4:

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Couldn't really work out what to do as it was completely different from a regular browser so I decided that Tapatalk sucks bawls.

You need to set it up of course, after that it's pretty intuitive. You can even moderate from it, I believe.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Manker you do see user agents as a moderator don't you?

Can you confirm whether or not Macky is telling the truth?

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Can you confirm whether or not Macky is telling the truth?

It was giving me the options to moderate, but then tells me I don't have permissions or something like that.

Quarterquack
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
I meant I think you're lying about posting from your phone. You're far too pretentious to manage to love us even while you're out and about.

Then again, with your girly hands it might not even be a hurdle.

mjmacky
07-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I meant I think you're lying about posting from your phone. You're far too pretentious to manage to love us even while you're out and about.

Then again, with your girly hands it might not even be a hurdle.

Oh I see. Most of my posts will be coming from an AT&T IP address, so yeah. Except for this one, since I'm posting this on a computer.

Cabalo
07-09-2012, 09:32 PM

You need to set it up of course, after that it's pretty intuitive. You can even moderate from it, I believe.
Yes you can, and even be notified of reports, PMs and so forth.
It's a fundamental tool to run a forum on the go.

manker
07-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh, fuck that. I'm not going to run a forum or anything.
You told me I'd just be a figurehead to lure in the female users.

manker
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Can you confirm whether or not Macky is telling the truth?Unfortunately not. I can basically ban people and alter avatars or sigs but that's it.
Unless I can and I don't know how. Anon or Cabalo are probably your men for this.

For some reason, tesco hasn't given me full admin access. Probably because I'd pwn him at coding NZBs or whatever.

anon
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately not. I can basically ban people and alter avatars or sigs but that's it.
Unless I can and I don't know how. Anon or Cabalo are probably your men for this.

http://filesharingtalk.com/online.php?ua=1

manker
07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately not. I can basically ban people and alter avatars or sigs but that's it.

http://filesharingtalk.com/online.php?ua=1

:smilie4:

anon
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM

:happy:

Cabalo
07-10-2012, 12:26 AM

Can you confirm whether or not Macky is telling the truth?Unfortunately not. I can basically ban people and alter avatars or sigs but that's it.

For some reason, tesco hasn't given me full admin access. Probably because I'd pwn him at coding NZBs or whatever.
Moderators can't edit anything on users' profiles apart sigs and avatars. And of course you can ban their asses! :happy:

But not unban!

manker
07-10-2012, 01:08 AM
That's basically what I said but, yeah, I don't think I need to be able to do anything else.
My skills are clearly more appropriately diverted into photoshopping cawks into members' profile pics.

It takes them months to realise. Some never do :happy:

Squeamous
07-10-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not even going to bother looking at this tapatalk thing because I know my phone won't be supported :cry:

manker
07-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I didn't think mine would be - but it is. What phone have you got?

It doesn't seem to be compatible with me, though. I tried to make a post using it yesterday, took me ages to type and everything.
It didn't go through :mellow:

Squeamous
07-10-2012, 04:56 PM

It doesn't seem to be compatible with me, though. I tried to make a post using it yesterday, took me ages to type and everything.

It's a Samsung: runs off Bada

manker
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM

It's a Samsung: runs off BadaSome guy called Chetan started developing a Tapatalk client that will work with Bada in January of this year.
It's detailed in this thread (http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2997)

On page one he said that he was starting. It's fifteen pages long. It's July.
He's probably finished by now but I have no way of finding out since I closed the tab.

Squeamous
07-10-2012, 05:34 PM
It's a Samsung: runs off BadaSome guy called Chetan started developing a Tapatalk client that will work with Bada in January of this year.
It's detailed in this thread (http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2997)

On page one he said that he was starting. It's fifteen pages long. It's July.
He's probably finished by now but I have no way of finding out since I closed the tab.

Thankyou helpful moderator man :smilie4:

Cabalo
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Some guy (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118436) is going to release Android for all Bada terminals very soon. ;)

mjmacky
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Oh, you went and got a phone with a proprietary OS that runs on only one manufacturer's phone and requires applications to be ported to it. Good luck with all of your experiences.

mjmacky
07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I bet it looked pretty, have you bedazzled it yet?

Squeamous
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Some guy (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118436) is going to release Android for all Bada terminals very soon. ;)

Great. Something else I will be obliged to learn how to do :fist:

Oh, you went and got a phone with a proprietary OS that runs on only one manufacturer's phone and requires applications to be ported to it. Good luck with all of your experiences.

I bet it looked pretty, have you bedazzled it yet?

I used to have an HTC, then 4 months into a 2 year contract I was on a date with a guy and got it stolen. He saw some guys approaching me at a bar while I was ordering us drinks and decided to leave my bag and coat to come and 'rescue' me/scent mark me. When I got back to my table my jacket and phone had gone. Being quite poor I couldn't afford to fork out £300 for a replacement so I got a phone that still had most of the functionality I enjoyed with my HTC without the price tag.The theme I have is a Borg style, and I have a charcoal coloured gel case.
I trust this sufficiently answers your questions?

mjmacky
07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
The theme I have is a Borg style

Borg on a non android phone sounds like blasphemy. You go girl, you blasphemer you.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 12:51 AM
:wub:

brotherdoobie
07-12-2012, 05:19 AM

The camera on your phone is ace. I was looking at one when I was at the Verizon store.

-doobs.

manker
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I don't believe that I mentioned what phone I have.

:balustrade:

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 09:48 AM

The camera on your phone is ace. I was looking at one when I was at the Verizon store.

-doobs.

The camera of squeams' phone is even better - it can take a photo of itself from somewhere beyond itself!?! :O

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
:smilie4:

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to decide on which new printer to buy. It's a tough decision, especially beginning with the premise that all printers suck bawls.

I'll let you know how I get on. Please don't give me any advice or recommendations, they won't help. :dabs:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
The camera of squeams' phone is even better - it can take a photo of itself from somewhere beyond itself!?! :O

It has Bada, which goes beyond time delay and allows for one to set the space time coordinates. Didn't she mention the Borg theme?

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm trying to decide on which new printer to buy. It's a tough decision, especially beginning with the premise that all printers suck bawls.

I'll let you know how I get on. Please don't give me any advice or recommendations, they won't help. :dabs:

Get a black one, everyone's making black ones now and they're nice and glossy.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Oh, really. Well I'm the motherfucking printer master.
Got a wireless Dell colour laser printer with two sets of toner for £121 squids. It's worked flawlessly at around 75 sheets per day for four months, now.

it doesn't suck bawls :smilie4:

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry I should've mentioned it needs to scan and copy too... :rolleyes:

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
It has Bada, which goes beyond time delay and allows for one to set the space time coordinates. Didn't she mention the Borg theme?

It keeps coming back and trying to destroy itself. Perhaps it knows something I don't?

manker
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Sorry I should've mentioned it needs to scan and copy too... :rolleyes:All-in-ones do suck bawls.
Enjoy your sky-high ink/toner prices and inevitable hardware failure.

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Is this it?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6833477.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

EDIT: Oh wait... also, it needs to be able to print from an iphone, i.e. be AirPrint enabled....

manker
07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
It's a forerunner of that one. That one looks pretty decent though, too, although you need to look around for deals that will get you a load of free toner since the toner it comes with is frequently only for testing porpoises.

I have no idea about AirPrint. I'd never even heard about it before.
Sounds shit :smilie4:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
EDIT: Oh wait... also, it needs to be able to print from an iphone, i.e. be AirPrint enabled....

My Epson allows me to send anything as an attachment to a specified email address and it will print it. So printing from my phone is easy in that case. I imagine many other manufacturers have something similar in place.

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 11:06 AM
That's Apple for you! :smilie4:

The only alternative appears to be that some printers have their own email address, and you can email them something to print from your iphone... :unsure:

EDIT: Thanks mary, I knew I'd lingered too long on this post.

manker
07-12-2012, 11:56 AM
You can do that with any printer.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9633.0

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 12:18 PM
:blink:

manker
07-12-2012, 12:18 PM
:eyebrows:

Something wrong?

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I don't understand what he's talking about :emo:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I've heard about people speaking first person in the third person, but rarely is the second person in the third person.

That's my new definition for ménage à trois.

manker
07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
The effort you put in there with the aigu and grave accents sets you above and apart from the riff-raff whose nonsense I usually read on this forum.
That said, they probably get to fuck their wives occasionally.

Swings and roundabouts.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
The effort you put in there with the aigu and grave accents sets you above and apart from the riff-raff whose nonsense I usually read on this forum.
That said, they probably get to fuck their wives occasionally.

Swings and roundabouts.

Wasn't much effort, posting from my phone, so I copied it from a google search result. I don't know of any other way to get my phone to do those characters

manker
07-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Honestly, I knew that - frequently do the same myself.
I was just setting myself up for the punchline.

chalice
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Shirley the accent over the first 'e' is acute, like.

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Can't do accents, can't print properly.... fucking iphones! :dry:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Same thing, manker was just being fancy

manker
07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Francophiles use 'aigu' instead of 'acute'.

I'm not a francophile, btw. I just like being a pretentious wordular cunt.

chalice
07-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Rod killer. :dabs:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:15 PM

I'll use my own rod, thank you very much.

chalice
07-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Nobody else will.

Barbarossa
07-12-2012, 02:18 PM
:rod:

This forum needs a dictionary for in-jokes and stuff..

manker
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Mary: Ivana, use my rod.
Ivana: Fuck you telling me for.
Mary: :emo:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Nobody else will.

Like I'd share. It's a bit more precious than my wife.

chalice
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I was having a party in my head about what I was gonna post next, but mary ruined it with his autistic, wall-butting ways. What a cunt.

chalice
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Mary: Ivana, use my rod.
Ivana: Fuck you telling me for.
Mary: :emo:

:glag:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 02:41 PM
She doesn't know how to properly handle my rod, so this is not resonating with me.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Fuxache, every thread is more or less now about Mary's penis/sex life/wife. And I can honestly say I've never been more entertained on this bored :pinch:

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Fuxache, every thread is more or less now about Mary's penis/sex life/wife. And I can honestly say I've never been more entertained on this bored :pinch:

Mission. Fucking. Accomplished. Good bye forever "suckers".

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Give 'em a break. It probably counts as "gettin' sum" to these little virgins.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't you bully my boys or I'll snap you like a twig :fist:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Shush girly. Get back to knittin' me a sweater.

manker
07-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Give 'em a break. It probably counts as "gettin' sum" to these little virgins.It's mainly emasculated thirty year old males who post in the lounge now.
If you are looking for little virgins, though, shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I said goodbye forever, but I'm still here :dave:

A new ziplock bag appears.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Give 'em a break. It probably counts as "gettin' sum" to these little virgins.It's mainly emasculated thirty year old males who post in the lounge now.

You're icky.....:-P

HeavyMetalParkingLot
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM

You're icky..... :-P

manker
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
You're eager.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Shush girly. Get back to knittin' me a sweater.

You wear sweaters? :ghey:

manker
07-12-2012, 09:43 PM

A new ziplock bag appears.You made the age old mistake of posting mere seconds after you said goodbye forever.
Dave wouldn't have made that mistake. He'd have pretended to be a chick and said things that he considers contrary to u=his usual style - but still said things like 'sorry to disappoint' and 'spew' and 'bile'.

You have much to learn.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I have a hoodie, but I don't wear it while I'm wearing black face. It's not that I'm scared of being shot, it's that I'm in Florida and I'm scared of encountering racists. I'm beginning to think it's not the hoodie's fault because it's Florida and I barely get a chance to wear it, and that makes me have frowny face.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM

A new ziplock bag appears.You made the age old mistake of posting mere seconds after you said goodbye forever.
Dave wouldn't have made that mistake. He'd have pretended to be a chick and said things that he considers contrary to u=his usual style - but still said things like 'sorry to disappoint' and 'spew' and 'bile'.

You have much to learn.

I have a hoodie, but I don't wear it while I'm wearing black face. It's not that I'm scared of being shot, it's that I'm in Florida and I'm scared of encountering racists. I'm beginning to think it's not the hoodie's fault because it's Florida and I barely get a chance to wear it, and that makes me have frowny face.

Hoodies are ok. I never see a person wear a hoodie around their shoulders, and you can only really get them in manly colours like grey, black or blue. Sometimes green. Contrast that with this:

chalice
07-12-2012, 09:57 PM
You made the age old mistake of posting mere seconds after you said goodbye forever.

You have much to learn.

Hoodies are ok. I never see a person wear a hoodie around their shoulders, and you can only really get them in manly colours like grey, black or blue. Sometimes green. Contrast that with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvEOjDeLWkA

Quarterquack
07-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm in Florida

The misdirection won't work. Everyone knows Idol is in Toronto.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
I had almost forgotten Wesley Crusher. He makes my shoulder muscles knot up as if I'm about to punch something.
Worst character ever.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm in Florida

The misdirection won't work. Everyone knows Idol is in Toronto.

It's called snowbirding. Florida is where you'll find almost any Canadian when they're not in Canada.

Quarterquack
07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
It's called snowbirding. Florida is where you'll find almost any Canadian when they're not in Canada.

You've obviously never heard of Cancun. Canadians like to patriotically carry half of Canada with them even on boarding passes.

Also, I'm coming to Kissimmee in a month. Anything I should avoid?

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Also, I'm coming to Kissimmee in a month. Anything I should avoid?

Floridians

manker
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM

You've obviously never heard of Cancun. Canadians like to patriotically carry half of Canada with them even on boarding passes.

Also, I'm coming to Kissimmee in a month. Anything I should avoid?Fucking Ivana.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Fucking Ivana.

Might be more difficult than what I proposed.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
:lol: You're on fire, Mary.
For you, like.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
For you, like.

Most of them have been me talking trash about Ivana behind her back so I hardly think it counts. I do it to her face all the time, sure, but almost never behind her back. I feel ill now.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
For you, like.

Most of them have been me talking trash about Ivana behind her back so I hardly think it counts. I do it to her face all the time, sure, but almost never behind her back. I feel ill now.Please make a new thread with examples.

You know it makes sense.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Most of them have been me talking trash about Ivana behind her back so I hardly think it counts. I do it to her face all the time, sure, but almost never behind her back. I feel ill now.Please make a new thread with examples.

You know it makes sense.

I had a new thread idea, but amputate me stumped as to what kind of reception it would receive. I'm also insanely groggy and can't coherently put it together.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Please make a new thread with examples.

You know it makes sense.

I had a new thread idea, but amputate me stumped as to what kind of reception it would receive. I'm also insanely groggy and can't coherently put it together.
I think the reception would be like a watered down version of the other six 'my life sucks, lol' threads that you've made - but now people feel like they can take the piss so it might just be even funnier.

Groggy is no excuse. Do it like Major James Hewitt.

Squeamous
07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
I had almost forgotten Wesley Crusher. He makes my shoulder muscles knot up as if I'm about to punch something.
Worst character ever.

And of all the young men in the Star Trek franchise, I never once noticed his cock sticking out in those tight jumpsuit trousers. Jake's and Nog's I did. I think that says everything.

manker
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Worst character ever.

And of all the young men in the Star Trek franchise, I never once noticed his cock sticking out in those tight jumpsuit trousers. Jake's and Nog's I did. I think that says everything.I can't really think of anyone who had a prominent willy protrusion apart from Riker.
But then he's famous for that, especially that one pic where you can see it stretches half-way down to his knee ... ermm, shouldn't we be having this convo in PM :ermm:

Squeamous
07-13-2012, 12:26 AM
And of all the young men in the Star Trek franchise, I never once noticed his cock sticking out in those tight jumpsuit trousers. Jake's and Nog's I did. I think that says everything.I can't really think of anyone who had a prominent willy protrusion apart from Riker.
But then he's famous for that, especially that one pic where you can see it stretches half-way down to his knee ... ermm, shouldn't we be having this convo in PM :ermm:

We're already talking about how dreamy David Beckham is in PM!

Squeamous
07-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Also I've never noticed Riker's!

mjmacky
07-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Also I've never noticed Riker's!

He was making sow in his pants.

manker
07-13-2012, 08:03 AM
^ :eyebrows:

She's fibbing, btw. We mainly just talk about trucks and guns. And attack dogs and ski-boxing.

Squeamous
07-13-2012, 08:25 AM

She's fibbing, btw. We mainly just talk about trucks and guns. And attack dogs and ski-boxing.

Oh....oh...yes....we do, don't we cuddly love muffin?

manker
07-13-2012, 01:30 PM

*studly love muffin.

I can see I'm going to have to train you properly if we're to be seen in public together <3

Squeamous
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
*studly love muffin.

I can see I'm going to have to train you properly if we're to be seen in public together <3

Ok, you be Rex Harrison and I'll be Audrey Hepburn :happy:

manker
07-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm not going to google. I'll just assume Rex Harrison is what the 1970s did before David Beckham was invented.

Squeamous
07-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm not going to google. I'll just assume Rex Harrison is what the 1970s did before David Beckham was invented.

60s actually :snooty:

Yuno nothing about the 'foretime?

manker
07-14-2012, 12:31 AM

60s actually :snooty:

Yuno nothing about the 'foretime?Yes indeed. I'm your man if you want to know about something that happened in the beforetime - precluding the last century.
I'm just not interested in that at all.

It seems shit.

mjmacky
07-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Please tell me you know who Audrey Hepburn is, at the very very least.

manker
07-14-2012, 01:40 PM

Please tell me you know who Audrey Hepburn is, at the very very least.Yeah someone had her as an avatar on this very board a few years ago. I googled her back then.
She didn't do any nudes.

Squeamous
07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Yes indeed. I'm your man if you want to know about something that happened in the beforetime - precluding the last century.

It seems shit.

You don't have to be interested in it to know about it. Knowledge you're interested in is a hobby. Knowledge you're not interested in is intelligence.

manker
07-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes indeed. I'm your man if you want to know about something that happened in the beforetime - precluding the last century.

It seems shit.

You don't have to be interested in it to know about it. Knowledge you're interested in is a hobby. Knowledge you're not interested in is intelligence.The first sentence is absolutely true. The second is tenuous at best, the third is complete shite.

After I wrote that last night, I realised that I like the first two or three decades of the 1900s, and the 90s, too. Most of the stuff in between, with lots of notable exceptions, is just awkward.

mjmacky
07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Knowledge you're not interested in is intelligence.

I've always identified intelligence as a willingness to learn, regardless of interest, so it's kind of close to mine. One doesn't have to know these things already because it'd be a pity if intelligence depended too strongly on your ability to not forget something.

manker
07-14-2012, 03:00 PM

I've always identified intelligence as a willingness a measurement of a person's ability to learn, regardless of interest. One doesn't have to know these things already because it'd be a pity if intelligence depended too strongly on your ability to not forget something.I identified strongly with what you wrote so I changed it such that it's now exactly congruent with my own feelings on the matter.

Quarterquack
07-14-2012, 09:54 PM

If this were about chemistry, you'd be Einsteinium.

mjmacky
07-15-2012, 01:23 AM
I've always identified intelligence as a willingness a measurement of a person's ability to learn, regardless of interest. One doesn't have to know these things already because it'd be a pity if intelligence depended too strongly on your ability to not forget something.I identified strongly with what you wrote so I changed it such that it's now exactly congruent with my own feelings on the matter.

Yeah, well at least I don't have to wait for the jury. I formulated mine after noticing the dumbest fucks are the ones who tend to say "I don't care to know" the most. That and conversations with people who treat all knowledge with earnest pleasure create environments with higher intellectual fervor.

manker
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I identified strongly with what you wrote so I changed it such that it's now exactly congruent with my own feelings on the matter.

Yeah, well at least I don't have to wait for the jury. I formulated mine after noticing the dumbest fucks are the ones who tend to say "I don't care to know" the most. That and conversations with people who treat all knowledge with earnest pleasure create environments with higher intellectual fervor.That lovely anecdotal explanation doesn't make your assertion any the less wrong, but it did enable me to see exactly from whence your point came - almost to the point of agreeing with you.

mjmacky
07-16-2012, 01:26 AM
That lovely anecdotal explanation doesn't make your assertion any the less wrong, but it did enable me to see exactly from whence your point came - almost to the point of agreeing with you.

You're welcome.

Squeamous
07-16-2012, 11:04 AM
[The first sentence is absolutely true. The second is tenuous at best, the third is complete shite.

After I wrote that last night, I realised that I like the first two or three decades of the 1900s, and the 90s, too. Most of the stuff in between, with lots of notable exceptions, is just awkward.

It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It happened, and it has an influence on the world you live in. Therefore there is intrinsic importance in you knowing it.

I've always identified intelligence as a willingness to learn, regardless of interest, so it's kind of close to mine. One doesn't have to know these things already because it'd be a pity if intelligence depended too strongly on your ability to not forget something.

If intelligence depended on my ability to not forget something I'd be screwed because I have a propensity for forgetting things. But I guess I remember vastly more than what I forget so I do ok.
There are loads of different types of intelligence, but the type I admire the most is the enquiring mind. I have an acquaintance who I figure must be pretty clever because she's a financial analyst and earns a shit load of money, but she's one of the most ignorant cunts I've ever met. She admits she's got no interest in anything not immediately relevant to her life. It irritates the fuck out of me when anyone takes pride in not knowing something: 'oh, I don't know anything about popular culture and I don't own a TV'. Well congratulations fuckwit, you just removed a major source of information about what OTHER people are interested in and the world at large. You know, those entities who walk around and breathe and fart into the same air as you but who aren't you.
I'm feeling particularly scathing this morning :snooty:

manker
07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It happened, and it has an influence on the world you live in. Therefore there is intrinsic importance in you knowing it.
You're being rather dense about this.
All of history has impacted upon contemporary society to varying degrees. The intrinsic value in having knowledge of it really does go without saying.

I have limited free-time, as does everyone even if their whole life is 'free-time'. I can't possibly know everything, even though it sometimes seems that way to the people I interact with on a regular basis.
So what I tend to do is learn about the things which interest me the most. Once I've learned about those, I'll move onto the things that interest me almost as much. Popular culture in the 60s, 70s and 80s is so far down the list that I really don't think I'll ever get the chance to learn about them. I've learned about some of it incidentally while not really meaning to and most of it strikes me as shit.

My opinion of what's shit and what's not shit is, naturally, subjective but I had assumed everyone with an ounce of enquiring within their mind would do a similar thing; interesting stuff first, not-so-interesting stuff afterwards.

Squeamous
07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
All of history has impacted upon contemporary society to varying degrees. The intrinsic value in having knowledge of it really does go without saying.

I have limited free-time, as does everyone even if their whole life is 'free-time'. I can't possibly know everything, even though it sometimes seems that way to the people I interact with on a regular basis.
So what I tend to do is learn about the things which interest me the most. Once I've learned about those, I'll move onto the things that interest me almost as much. Popular culture in the 60s, 70s and 80s is so far down the list that I really don't think I'll ever get the chance to learn about them. I've learned about some of it incidentally while not really meaning to and most of it strikes me as shit.

My opinion of what's shit and what's not shit is, naturally, subjective but I had assumed everyone with an ounce of enquiring within their mind would do a similar thing; interesting stuff first, not-so-interesting stuff afterwards.

Not really. For instance, when I go to a doctor's surgery I'll pick up a magazine and if it's say, a men's magazine I'll read it anyway. I don't give a flying fuck that a Wankel engine is really cool because it's triangular, or who Kim Kardashian is married to this week, but I just absorb this information from walking around with my eyes and ears open all day. In fact, I frequently choose to pick up books my friends have been reading or articles they're interested in because I figure it takes me out of my comfort zone. I even read newspapers that have different political stances to mine. It's about being a well-rounded individual instead of an intellectual narcissist who opens their eyes each morning and only want themselves reflected back at them.

manker
07-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Not really. For instance, when I go to a doctor's surgery I'll pick up a magazine and if it's say, a men's magazine I'll read it anyway. I don't give a flying fuck that a Wankel engine is really cool because it's triangular, or who Kim Kardashian is married to this week, but I just absorb this information from walking around with my eyes and ears open all day. In fact, I frequently choose to pick up books my friends have been reading or articles they're interested in because I figure it takes me out of my comfort zone. I even read newspapers that have different political stances to mine. It's about being a well-rounded individual instead of an intellectual narcissist who opens their eyes each morning and only want themselves reflected back at them.That would be fair enough if you lived in an environment where you could only absorb information in which you weren't interested - but that isn't the case.

I'd read about Showaddywaddy if that was the only literature available at the time. But that's never been the case, so I haven't.
Surely if you revisited the Doctors and had two magazines in front of you, one was FHM Motors and one was Bella's Summer Special on how to manipulate men into being pliant fuck-slaves, you'd pick up the latter.

If I've never heard of or experienced something, I'm open to it. I recently read about string theory which is so far out of my comfort zone that I actually had to re-read every single chapter once I'd finished them because I didn't properly understand it. I got on with it okay, in the end, I think and even managed to reference it on here a few times - but that's hardly the same thing as watching some Terry and June simply because there might be an episode where something funny happened.

Being discerning about the information you take in, which is what I try to do, isn't being an intellectual narcissist, it's utilising your spare time more efficiently.
Altho' I do like the sound of being an intellectual narcissist :eyebrows:

Squeamous
07-16-2012, 05:25 PM
That would be fair enough if you lived in an environment where you could only absorb information in which you weren't interested - but that isn't the case.

I'd read about Showaddywaddy if that was the only literature available at the time. But that's never been the case, so I haven't.
Surely if you revisited the Doctors and had two magazines in front of you, one was FHM Motors and one was Bella's Summer Special on how to manipulate men into being pliant fuck-slaves, you'd pick up the latter.

If I've never heard of or experienced something, I'm open to it. I recently read about string theory which is so far out of my comfort zone that I actually had to re-read every single chapter once I'd finished them because I didn't properly understand it. I got on with it okay, in the end, I think and even managed to reference it on here a few times - but that's hardly the same thing as watching some Terry and June simply because there might be an episode where something funny happened.

Being discerning about the information you take in, which is what I try to do, isn't being an intellectual narcissist, it's utilising your spare time more efficiently.
Altho' I do like the sound of being an intellectual narcissist :eyebrows:

Fortunately I'm a really good speed reader so would easily be able to learn how to talk a man into being a pliant fuck slave (:w00t:), possibly with the the use of car-related conversation.
It's really not that hard to fit interesting and non interesting stuff into your brain, you just have to be willing to absorb more of the stuff you see and experience. Why would you want to be discerning about what your brain takes in? I don't have any great interest in the 70s but it gets referenced quite a lot in every day life, and I've picked up some things as a result. For instance, I don't know how you can have been brought up in the UK with British parents and avoid knowing who Dick Emery is, yet you somehow managed it. And how the fuck can you have never seen My Fair Lady?

manker
07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Ffs.
How did you know that I don't know who Dick Emery is and that I've never seen My Fair Lady :balustrade:

Squeamous
07-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Ffs.
How did you know that I don't know who Dick Emery is and that I've never seen My Fair Lady :balustrade:

We've discussed both these things before Memory Man :pinch:

manker
07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Orite :pinch:

Squeamous
07-17-2012, 12:31 AM
And you said you would be happy to embezzle me a million pounds from messeurs Stephen Green Esqs. :shifty:

mjmacky
07-17-2012, 07:08 AM
You guys were being mary argumentative over this, just take my statement as the simple spiritual truth and shake genitalia.

manker
07-17-2012, 10:17 AM
You guys were being mary argumentative over this, just take my statement as the simple spiritual truth and shake genitalia.You put it so well that I almost did.
As I said, the only thing preventing me from doing so was that you were almost completely wrong.

Fyi, I shook my genitalia at the culmination of proceedings, anyhow.

mjmacky
07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
You guys were being mary argumentative over this, just take my statement as the simple spiritual truth and shake genitalia.You put it so well that I almost did.
As I said, the only thing preventing me from doing so was that you were almost completely wrong.

Fyi, I shook my genitalia at the culmination of proceedings, anyhow.

I jerk my stretchy scrotum in your general direction.