PDA

View Full Version : What's the best option for watching video on a 1280x800 tablet screen?

Skiz
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new Nexus 7 tablet which has a 1280x800 screen. Assuming I can load movies onto it, what's the best option for watching video on a screen that size? XviD HD? x264 720p? Something else?

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new Nexus 7 tablet which has a 1280x800 screen. Assuming I can load movies onto it, what's the best option for watching video on a screen that size? XviD HD? x264 720p? Something else?

Honestly, no one can really claim what would satisfy you. If you have no complaints watching SD xvid videos on your TV, that won't change on a tablet. You might consider SD x264 based on system space alone, especially if you spend every waking moment watching programming on it and being generally efficient.

manker
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Snee recently told me that HD is pointless on screens less than 40".
I tend to trust his word on such matters.

The memory isn't all that capacious on any tabs so go down the SD route for sure.
I would say also to go with XviD or DivX since they're ubiquitous and will save you converting.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
I would say also to go with XviD or DivX since they're ubiquitous and will save you converting.

He wouldn't have to convert x264, any modern device that plays video supports the H.264 codec. With android, Moboplayer excellently handles the matroska container.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
I did give a couple of other reasons.
I only mention the converting thing as I was sure you wouldn't have to convert them. Not that you wouldn't have to convert them but would have to convert x264.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
I only mention the converting thing as I was sure you wouldn't have to convert them. Not that you wouldn't have to convert them but would have to convert x264.

Why do you give me the impression that you think it means something different?

manker
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM

:eyebrows:
I'm not sure. Perhaps it means something different from what I think it means and that's why you've gotten that impression. It could be that you didn't read my post properly. It might be that you're incapable of it until I clarify something that's puzzling you.

I'm at a complete loss as to how we're going to get to the bottom of this vitally important quandary.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
:eyebrows:
I'm not sure. Perhaps it means something different from what I think it means and that's why you've gotten that impression. It could be that you didn't read my post properly. It might be that you're incapable of it until I clarify something that's puzzling you.

I'm at a complete loss as to how we're going to get to the bottom of this vitally important quandary.

That's easy, give me your definition. Then you can pick up those fiberglass sticks and splinter your rectum.

manker
07-12-2012, 10:39 PM
First tell me what 'it' is.

mjmacky
07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
First tell me what 'it' is.

I forgot, which thread is this again? Is it my cock? Sometimes that's the solution to my problem.

Skiz
07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Snee recently told me that HD is pointless on screens less than 40".
I tend to trust his word on such matters.

The memory isn't all that capacious on any tabs so go down the SD route for sure.

SD is for chumps. :snooty:

For TV's, I'd generally agree with Snee. It all boils down to pixel density. TVs under about 40" don't usually have the required aspect ratio to display 1080.

I suppose I also shouldn't be asking which option is best, rather which will give the best quality without having more pixel quality than the device can make use of. Obviously 1080 content is unnecessary. I suppose the 720p x264 stuffs is best option. :idunno:

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I rarely splurge the bandwidth for 1080p. When I want something looking especially nice, I grab a 720p. One of the nice hurdles that the Nexus has going for it over some of the previous tablets that have momentarily caught my eye is that it will play a full 720p. I have a feeling that the video will look great, and won't be too cumbersome to transfer.

My wife and I are setting aside money to add a good flash for her recently acquired Canon 7D, then the next item will be the Nexus 7. At $250 for the 16GB version, it seems like quite a bargain. Please post your thoughts if/when you get your tab.

mjmacky
07-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Obviously 1080 content is unnecessary. I suppose the 720p x264 stuffs is best option. :idunno:

If that's what you're asking, then yes, 720p x264 is what you're to be looking for.

Skiz
07-13-2012, 03:10 AM
I rarely splurge the bandwidth for 1080p. When I want something looking especially nice, I grab a 720p. One of the nice hurdles that the Nexus has going for it over some of the previous tablets that have momentarily caught my eye is that it will play a full 720p. I have a feeling that the video will look great, and won't be too cumbersome to transfer.

My wife and I are setting aside money to add a good flash for her recently acquired Canon 7D, then the next item will be the Nexus 7. At $250 for the 16GB version, it seems like quite a bargain. Please post your thoughts if/when you get your tab.

It's been many years I think since I downloaded anything non HD. All my TV shows get snatched up in 720p and the movies in 1080p. I have 46" LCD in the living room and a 37" LED in the bedroom, each equipped with it's own media PC running XBMC. With movies, I almost always have to wait longer for the 1080 versions over the faster 720 releases, but I'm a snob, what can I say?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Nexus 7. Should ship in a week or so. I'll try to follow up after sufficient "testing".

Obviously 1080 content is unnecessary. I suppose the 720p x264 stuffs is best option. :idunno:

If that's what you're asking, then yes, 720p x264 is what you're to be looking for.

Werd.

manker
07-13-2012, 07:59 AM
:lol:
Yeah, I'm like that, too. I blame Busyman for everything.
However, I've compared HD and SD on a iPad (albeit 1st gen) and I can't tell the fecking difference - although it's immediately obvious on a big telly. I just thought that having 20 films on the tab instead of 3 might appeal.

Having said that, I'm not even sure where you would use it. I've never watched a whole film on a tablet even though I've owned at least one for a couple of years.
Add some qualitative data to the thread and tell us where the modern man who has large flat screen tellies in the bedroom and living room would watch a film on a tablet.

Artemis
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
You know I have to say the same I have an Acer A500 ( a big 10" tablet) with 32GB of internal storage and I have added a 32GB micro SD card to it and have I watched a whole movie on it.... errrr no, not when I have full 5.1 surround sound hometheater in the bedroom as well as the main system in the lounge, it seems kind of pointless really, and you will hurt your neck looking down for that length of time or strain your arms holding it out, or end up buying a stand for it so that it stands upright like a laptop screen.

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't it be beneficial for use as a kid distraction device while on car trips- as in attached to the back of a headrest? If nothing else, what about the co-pilot seat?

manker
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't it be beneficial for use as a kid distraction device while on car trips- as in attached to the back of a headrest? If nothing else, what about the co-pilot seat?Pretty sure Skizo doesn't have kids - unless you think he's planning to abduct one.

Reading what you wrote, though, it might be good for travelling. I do remember watching almost a whole series of Weeds on my phone while flying to Tenerife one year.
My missus was thrilled.

Artemis
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't it be beneficial for use as a kid distraction device while on car trips- as in attached to the back of a headrest? If nothing else, what about the co-pilot seat?

Already waaaaay ahead of you there with a DVD player that has a slave unit for the other child in the other seat, but before you go hang on DVD's your so 90's, it has a card reader preloaded with yet another 32GB micro SD card to keep the little critters happy on long trips, with 34 movies to choose from they are happy little campers and I only have to update the selection every now and then. :naughty:

IdolEyes787
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
We used to spot yellow cars and hawks and groundhogs and try not to get car sick.
It may not be as fun but I'm fairly sure that our brainwaves weren't permanently set to a low alpha level.

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
We used to spot yellow cars and hawks and groundhogs and try not to get car sick.
It may not be as fun but I'm fairly sure that our brainwaves weren't permanently set to a low alpha level.

Yes, yes, I'm certain spotting yellow cars and roadkill must have done wonders for your mental status. makes me wonder why they don't just teach those valuable skills in school. :unsure:

@Art: I'm still gnu to the hole parent thing. Still in the car prep stage... :fear:

mjmacky
07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
It's called regal viewing, that kind of watching takes place upon the throne. The throne being the one place where technology has permeated my life the most.

Skiz
07-13-2012, 08:19 PM
However, I've compared HD and SD on a iPad (albeit 1st gen) and I can't tell the fecking difference - although it's immediately obvious on a big telly. I just thought that having 20 films on the tab instead of 3 might appeal.

Having said that, I'm not even sure where you would use it. I've never watched a whole film on a tablet even though I've owned at least one for a couple of years.
Add some qualitative data to the thread and tell us where the modern man who has large flat screen tellies in the bedroom and living room would watch a film on a tablet.

Last year the missus and I took a 2 week long road trip through must of the Southwestern US. It was muchas epic but I regretted having just an iphone to interweb with in the evenings to catch up on the news, email, etc. We're doing another 2 week road trip this year (peppering the Northwest) and we're leaving in about a month, so I wanted to snatch something up before we left. I'll put a movie or two on it in case we have a down day or something.

No way I'd be watching movies on it while at home.

^This.

I can't stand seeing kids with their heads buried in video game or movie while out in public, at a restaurant, on a road trip, camping...

Kids have no character any more. I live in a dense neighborhood and I probably haven't seen a kid riding a bicycle in at least 3 years. It's pathetic. /oldmanrant

megabyteme
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
i live in a dense neighborhood

:D My neighbors are too.

mjmacky
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I live in a dense neighborhood

Chances are, so does everyone else unless you don't have any neighbors.

manker
07-13-2012, 10:34 PM
I live in a dense neighborhoodIs it possible to be racist against Texans if one is a Texan.

:eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

absent_today
07-14-2012, 06:15 AM
I usually get mSD encodes for my tablet as there perfect fit with quality and size

Artemis
07-15-2012, 03:36 AM

Last year the missus and I took a 2 week long road trip through must of the Southwestern US. It was muchas epic but I regretted having just an iphone to interweb with in the evenings to catch up on the news, email, etc. We're doing another 2 week road trip this year (peppering the Northwest) and we're leaving in about a month, so I wanted to snatch something up before we left. I'll put a movie or two on it in case we have a down day or something.

No way I'd be watching movies on it while at home.

^This.

I can't stand seeing kids with their heads buried in video game or movie while out in public, at a restaurant, on a road trip, camping...

Kids have no character any more. I live in a dense neighborhood and I probably haven't seen a kid riding a bicycle in at least 3 years. It's pathetic. /oldmanrant

I will happily lend you my kids and my SUV sans the video player and even a tank of gas so that you can admire the beautiful scenery here that you have read so much about Skiz. With the kids on a bad hair day I'm not sure exactly how much scenery you will be able to take in between the refereeing you will be doing, not to mention the yelling, the swerving to the side of the road so that you can look directly at them to make sure that it won't happen again (which it will a few minutes after you drive off).
As a parent I can say hand on heart, that sometimes you need a distraction to make them SHUT THE FUCK UP, before they kill each other. The player isn't always on, not even 30% of the time, but there are times when they need or want to be entertained, and the alternative isn't a fun place to be.
That being said, my children both have bikes, which they use and my daughter has her own pony, and we have always had a large trampoline which gets used alot, so much as I am aware of the changing face of childhood and the intensely visual world we live in these days, I am trying to give my children alternatives to that primarily audio/visual stimulii.

mjmacky
07-15-2012, 03:42 AM
At least he wouldn't have to deal with it very long as he will be limited to just one tank of gas.

blkmex
08-03-2012, 06:36 PM

Would work as a kid distraction although you need to set an age requirement as my brother used his ipad to distract his 2 year old son and then found the thing 15 mins later with crap splattered on the screen as Rio played in the background :wacko:

megabyteme
08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Would work as a kid distraction although you need to set an age requirement as my brother used his ipad to distract his 2 year old son and then found the thing 15 mins later with crap splattered on the screen as Rio played in the background :wacko:

As long as it keeps the kids quiet... :lol:

Hole69
08-03-2012, 09:07 PM
How interesting. My head was buried in a book or bottle when I was growing up (and no, I'm not an old fart). I don't have a tablet and have gotten rid of my "smartphone". The problem with today's kid is that they are spineless cowards. They have no backbone.

anon
08-03-2012, 09:21 PM
and then found the thing 15 mins later with crap splattered on the screen as Rio played in the background :wacko:

This made me :lol:

I bet your brother wasn't too amused though :P

manker
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
How interesting. My head was buried in a book or bottle when I was growing up (and no, I'm not an old fart). I don't have a tablet and have gotten rid of my "smartphone". The problem with today's kid is that they are spineless cowards. They have no backbone.Head buried in a book is a tried and tested metaphor that works, head buried in a bottle is just stupid.

How many kids have you got, btw.
I'm betting none and that you're an embittered socially awkward hermitard.

IdolEyes787
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
How interesting. My head was buried in a book or bottle when I was growing up (and no, I'm not an old fart). I don't have a tablet and have gotten rid of my "smartphone". The problem with today's kid is that they are spineless cowards. They have no backbone.

I don't see one equating to the other.

Anyway everything went directly to hell with the invention of the Victrola and that Godawful rock and rolling music.
Before that everything was obviously fine.

Artemis
08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
.....you're an embittered socially awkward hermitard.

Hermitard, what a splendiforous new word to add to the lexicon of fuckspastic putdowns, I may just have to use that in future discussions. :blink:

Hole69
08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
How interesting. My head was buried in a book or bottle when I was growing up (and no, I'm not an old fart). I don't have a tablet and have gotten rid of my "smartphone". The problem with today's kid is that they are spineless cowards. They have no backbone.Head buried in a book is a tried and tested metaphor that works, head buried in a bottle is just stupid.

Of course I have none of the little shits. Waste of time and space. I detect more bitterness and staleness in your post than mine though.

manker
08-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Head buried in a book is a tried and tested metaphor that works, head buried in a bottle is just stupid.

Of course I have none of the little shits. I'd have to find a female willing to fuck me first.
fix'd

PastTense
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
What about the standard 700mb or so .avi file on a tablet?